Apple iPhone iOS 13 Discussion

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Apple iPhone iOS 13 Discussion

Post by Leesbro63 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:04 pm

OK, I upgraded to ios13. I can see some new tweaks, but so far nothing "gee whiz". I'm wondering if I'm missing any obvious big improvements?

Dottie57

Re: Apple iPhone iOS 13 Discussion

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:11 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:04 pm
OK, I upgraded to ios13. I can see some new tweaks, but so far nothing "gee whiz". I'm wondering if I'm missing any obvious big improvements?
Later updates to 13 should show new features. I think some of the features are for. The new iPhones with 3 cameras. Also features related to the new apple watch.

greenflamingo

Post by greenflamingo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:13 pm

Some lesser features that are worth getting set up:

1. Silence unknown caller is my favorite new feature. If you don't have a contact for the number, it goes straight to voicemail.

2. I think the link preview in Safari and other applications is a nice usability feature.

3, Improved day/night mode is a nice to have.

RJC

Post by RJC » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:20 pm

greenflamingo wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:13 pm

1. Silence unknown caller is my favorite new feature. If you don't have a contact for the number, it goes straight to voicemail.

2. I think the link preview in Safari and other applications is a nice usability feature.

Brilliant re: #1. Is it OK to download now or should we wait till any potential bugs get resolved?

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:27 pm

RJC wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:20 pm
Is it OK to download now or should we wait till any potential bugs get resolved?
Consensus seems to be that iOS 13 has more than the usual share of bugs. At this point you might as well wait for iOS 13.1, coming tomorrow.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:29 pm

greenflamingo wrote:

Dark mode should improve battery life on iPhones with OLED screens (X, XS/Max, 11 Pro/Max).

Optimized charging will learn from your charging patterns and charge the phone only to 80% when possible, deferring the last 20% to just before when you typically unplug and start using the phone. This should improve battery longevity by decreasing the amount of time the battery spends at 100%, which stresses the cells more.

ETA: CarPlay now has a split-screen view, so that you can have maps (Apple Maps only for now) and audio controls on the same screen.
Last edited by 02nz on Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:40 pm

RJC wrote:
greenflamingo wrote:

Brilliant re: #1. Is it OK to download now or should we wait till any potential bugs get resolved?
To the extent there's a consensus, it's that it's been solid through the later betas except for the stock Mail app, which has been horribly buggy. I don't use the stock Mail app, so I've loved the iOS 13 beta versions. The 13.1 release is coming tomorrow, though, so I'd probably just wait until tomorrow.

The Activity app for Watch owners has some nice improvements, in addition to the improvements in WatchOS 6 itself.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:50 pm

For what it's worth, I downloaded and installed the iOS 13 package onto my iPhone 6s last night. About a minute and a half after it booted up and came online, my wife called out to me complaining that the Roku box in our den was buffering and crashing. Investigation showed that, with wifi enabled and connected on the phone, my home Internet connection (Uverse 6-Mbps) was being saturated and failing. Switching the wifi off on the phone brought the Roku back online almost immediately. I did speed tests using my tablet to confirm, and it showed download speed at 6 mbps with the phone wifi switched off, and less than one with wifi on.

When I went to bed, I switched wifi on the phone back on and left it that way overnight. This morning, the symptom has vanished. I suspect (but can't prove) that the phone was going out and refreshing everything I had in iCloud (photos etc), which was swamping the upload direction of the connection.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:33 pm

I upgraded two iPhone 6s+ and a 7 to iOS13. The mail app is the only buggy feature I've noted. There's one email from a crazy mother of a child's classmate that won't say deleted and a couple of blanks were message should be that also won't delete. It seems only Microsoft mail is affected.

Speed on my 6s+ seems unaffected. My in-house wireless connection is 191 Mbps download and 10.5 upload on a 6s+; an ethernet-connected PC is only slightly faster at 231 and 10.6 Mbps, respectively.

sandburg

Post by sandburg » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:53 pm

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-13/. Here's some information straight from the source.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:58 pm

RJC wrote:
greenflamingo wrote:

You can do this now - enable "do not disturb" and then check the box that says allow calls from contacts. I've been doing this for a long time. Only downside is that it also silences text signals. You have to go into each contact individually to enable a text signal if you want it.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:15 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:50 pm
For what it's worth, I downloaded and installed the iOS 13 package onto my iPhone 6s last night. About a minute and a half after it booted up and came online, my wife called out to me complaining that the Roku box in our den was buffering and crashing. Investigation showed that, with wifi enabled and connected on the phone, my home Internet connection (Uverse 6-Mbps) was being saturated and failing. Switching the wifi off on the phone brought the Roku back online almost immediately. I did speed tests using my tablet to confirm, and it showed download speed at 6 mbps with the phone wifi switched off, and less than one with wifi on.

When I went to bed, I switched wifi on the phone back on and left it that way overnight. This morning, the symptom has vanished. I suspect (but can't prove) that the phone was going out and refreshing everything I had in iCloud (photos etc), which was swamping the upload direction of the connection.
Your story brings back memories of our pre-fiber days. I could swamp the upload bandwidth on our 15 Mbps (1 Mbps up) Internet connection for a few seconds simply by saving an Excel spreadsheet to OneDrive. I would have to make sure that my kids weren't playing realtime multiplayer games before saving anything.

We have 1 Gbps fiber service now, so it's not an issue.

longleaf

Post by longleaf » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:28 pm

The bug in music playback (play/pause toggle to hear audio) has expanded from only afflicting some external bluetooth devices eg car radio to including wired headphone connections too. The forced automatic dimming of display when warm has not improved. Options are now limited to light and dark mode rather than the previous seamless combination of the two. Airplay seems more stable. There is a new shortcuts app, hold and drag to type keyboard, and health app designed to encourage the purchase and use of Apple Watch. I expect the OS will refine in the next year. Instead of a facelift, it’s mainly the light and dark mode options. It should be adjustable per app. The lag when opening settings has been fixed.

iPhone X running 13.0
Frugality, indexing, time.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:02 pm

Downloaded 13.0 when first available for iPhone 7+. Notes app on phone stopped syncing to iCloud. Scrolling is frequently jerky. :annoyed
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:31 pm

Swype type functions are now available on the standard keyboard. No need to switch to another keyboard just start swyping on the standard keyboard. I previously uploaded Google swype keyboard and used that, but this Apple version works better in my opinion.

There are also a number of privacy changes outlined in the below linked wired website article. These include notification when apps are attempting to use Bluetooth to track your location and offering the ability to allow or block this access. For example, I have Tile trackers in my wallet and keys and the Tiles app tracks the location of these trackers. I received a notification on IPhone which offered me the opportunity to block or allow this tracking. In this case I chose allow.

https://www.wired.com/story/ios-13-secu ... -settings/

OAG

Post by OAG » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:44 pm

Hey some more "updates/upgrades" coming tomorrow too. IOS 13.1. https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=iOS+ ... &FORM=EWRE
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.

ianferrel

Post by ianferrel » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:03 pm

abner kravitz wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:58 pm
You can do this now - enable "do not disturb" and then check the box that says allow calls from contacts. I've been doing this for a long time. Only downside is that it also silences text signals. You have to go into each contact individually to enable a text signal if you want it.
This is true, but it means that you can't use Do Not Disturb for anything else automatically. I use Do Not Disturb on a schedule so I don't get calls when I'm asleep.

There was, until now, no way to do both that *and* have calls from non-contacts go directly to voicemail.

I am very excited about this feature. I'm sick of getting interrupted 3+ times a day by scam calls that I never answer.

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:14 pm

ianferrel wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:03 pm
abner kravitz wrote:
This is true, but it means that you can't use Do Not Disturb for anything else automatically. I use Do Not Disturb on a schedule so I don't get calls when I'm asleep.

There was, until now, no way to do both that *and* have calls from non-contacts go directly to voicemail.

I am very excited about this feature. I'm sick of getting interrupted 3+ times a day by scam calls that I never answer.
There actually was a way that I employed. I downloaded a "silent" ringtone from the App store and this was my default ringtone. I then went into each one of my contacts and used the same audible ringtone for all of those. All non-contact calls made no sounds and went to VM and my text notifications and Do Not Disturb function wall were still in play.

This function in IOS, 13 however, makes it a one click solution to eliminate to eliminate spam calls for those of us who do not have businesses or situations that require accepting calls from non-contacts.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:37 pm

ianferrel wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:03 pm
abner kravitz wrote:

I didn't know you can schedule Do Not Disturb. Thanks for the tip.

Workable Goblin

Post by Workable Goblin » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:43 pm

Fletch wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:02 pm
Downloaded 13.0 when first available for iPhone 7+. Notes app on phone stopped syncing to iCloud. Scrolling is frequently jerky. :annoyed
It is probably not actually true that the Notes app isn't syncing to iCloud, it's that it's syncing in an updated format that can't be read by iOS 12 devices or Macs with Mojave or lower. I've been running the Catalina beta for about a month and a half on my main machine (note: would not recommend this, although the beta itself has not been particularly buggier or less stable than Mojave was) and had exactly the same problem but in reverse: notes I wrote on my desktop would not sync to my phone. But this problem completely disappeared when I updated my phone to iOS 13 when it was released. I would expect that your problem will also vanish when Catalina is properly released next month, too.

mchampse

Post by mchampse » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:43 pm

abner kravitz wrote:
RJC wrote:
greenflamingo wrote:

There are 2 different features we may be discussing. Do not disturb has been a feature for a while. You can schedule to turn on in the evening. It does have settings to allow calls to ring if certain conditions are met (ie one of your favorites or someone who calls repeatedly).

The new feature in iOS 13 is Silence Unknown Calls which can be accessed by going to settings -> phone and then closer to the bottom. That will generally not allow calls from people unless they are in your contacts, your email or they are someone you’ve tried to call. These features work independently of each other.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:36 am

Downloaded iOS 13 the first day it was available. No problems with my iPhone 7, except for some apps that aren't yet updated to utilize the new iOS.

I do like the "silence unknown caller" feature. A lot. And when DW downloads iOS 13, she will like it even more, because she gets scores of such calls.

I also like the option of the "dark" appearance for the display. Looks kind of cool, might save a little battery. The only issue is that several apps currently look kind of strange in the "dark" mode, and they'll probably stay that way until the developers update them for iOS 13.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:11 am

RJC wrote:
I use my phone for work, including a work messaging app.

Due to the way iOS 13 deals with background applications (like independent messaging apps), my work messaging app doesn't work. :? Workplace asked us not to update until a new version of the app can be released. :(

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:04 am

To answer your question the only big improvement I've seen so far is dark mode.
And on the downside yes it's more buggy than most other upgrades; I've had email issues, sound issues, but nothing too major that makes me think about leaving
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:16 am

Workable Goblin wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:43 pm
Fletch wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:02 pm
It is probably not actually true that the Notes app isn't syncing to iCloud, it's that it's syncing in an updated format that can't be read by iOS 12 devices or Macs with Mojave or lower. I've been running the Catalina beta for about a month and a half on my main machine (note: would not recommend this, although the beta itself has not been particularly buggier or less stable than Mojave was) and had exactly the same problem but in reverse: notes I wrote on my desktop would not sync to my phone. But this problem completely disappeared when I updated my phone to iOS 13 when it was released. I would expect that your problem will also vanish when Catalina is properly released next month, too.
Good to know, I hope you are correct. My wife and I share the same AppleID (aside: that has both advantages and disadvantages ... if starting over, I probably would not do). This morning I noticed that mail (standard Apple App) I sent from my phone yesterday did not appear on her phone, or on our MacBook Pro which is running Mojave. That had never been a problem in our 10 years of iPhone use with the same AppleID. Hmmmm.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:37 am

02nz wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:29 pm
greenflamingo wrote:

Dark mode should improve battery life on iPhones with OLED screens (X, XS/Max, 11 Pro/Max).

Optimized charging will learn from your charging patterns and charge the phone only to 80% when possible, deferring the last 20% to just before when you typically unplug and start using the phone. This should improve battery longevity by decreasing the amount of time the battery spends at 100%, which stresses the cells more.

ETA: CarPlay now has a split-screen view, so that you can have maps (Apple Maps only for now) and audio controls on the same screen.
Yeah, CarPlay improvements have been the biggest improvements I have noticed.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:42 pm

For those waiting for iOS 13.1, it has been made available. See iOS 13.1 now available with new Maps features and more- 9to5Mac
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Conch55

Post by Conch55 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:30 am

Upgraded my 6s to IOS 13.1 a couple of days ago and am happy to report no problems! I haven't noticed much in the way of changes or improvements; the Photos app looks nice and there's something called Shortcuts which I haven't tried. After issues with reduced battery life after previous updates I am not seeing anything of that nature.

Bammerman

Post by Bammerman » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:55 pm

The general opinion, across many reviewers, is that iOS13 is one of the best operating system upgrades in years. I’m finding it chock full of improvements, myself.

canderson

Post by canderson » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:15 pm

Anyone with CarPlay having issues with Google Maps? It no longer gives on-screen directions or route - it’s just a plain map showing the car moving. Audio nav still comes through so it’s weird. Have to use Apple Maps instead and it’s not as good, obviously.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:20 pm

13.1.1 is out now. :D

Capricorn51

Post by Capricorn51 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:56 pm

greenflamingo wrote:

I looked at this and thought about it. But what happens when I order an Uber and the driver wants to contact me? So I untangled Silence.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:52 pm

andypanda wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:20 pm
13.1.1 is out now. :D
Had to use iTunes to update

Over the air update led to a U1 chip problem

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:21 pm

I was unsure if there were many material changes as well. However, I am looking forward to the new iPad software and can not wait until it fully replaces our laptop.
John C. Bogle: "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:29 am

My Plantronics bluetooth earpiece hasn't worked properly since the updates. When I'm driving and push the button to initiate a call via Siri, I don't get the second tone which indicates I should give the instruction. If I pull over and use the phone to make the call, the earpiece works fine.

jh

Post by jh » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:49 am

greenflamingo wrote:

Praise Apple!!!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RJC

Post by RJC » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:27 pm

Is it still buggy after 13.1.1?

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:05 pm

"Had to use iTunes to update

Over the air update led to a U1 chip problem"

13.1.1 loaded just fine on my 6s. :mrgreen:

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:25 pm

Capricorn51 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:56 pm
greenflamingo wrote:

I looked at this and thought about it. But what happens when I order an Uber and the driver wants to contact me? So I untangled Silence.
Silence unknown caller is the sole reason I upgraded to iOS 13. Uber or anyone I don't know can still text or leave a VM. I also get a missed called so I do not worry about missing any communication.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:56 pm

Don't know whether to complain about the poor quality control or praise them for the quick turnaround on updates, but iOS 13.1.2 has been released today. See iOS 13.1.2 for more details on the fixes.

Added: Two devices successfully and smoothly updated and now running iOS 13.1.2
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:56 pm

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:56 pm
Don't know whether to complain about the poor quality control or praise them for the quick turnaround on updates, but iOS 13.1.2 has been released today. See iOS 13.1.2 for more details on the fixes.

Added: Two devices successfully and smoothly updated and now running iOS 13.1.2
4 updates in 11 days, that's some kind of record. Guess we're all public beta testers now. (To be fair my experience is that iOS 13 is pretty good, buggier than iOS 12 upon release but much less so than iOS 11, which was horrendous.)

OrderAndChaos

Post by OrderAndChaos » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:17 pm

On the iPhone SE, seems to work fine. Perhaps a little more battery hungry, but time will tell.

On my iPad Air 2 however...I spent an hour with Apple Tech Support yesterday. Apparently there is a known issue with that iPad trying to install iOS 13, not iPad OS 13 which then proceeds to prevent the device from connecting to wifi or via iTunes.

So I'm off to the Apple Store to see if they can fix it.

anoop

Post by anoop » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:00 pm

I really like that it shows traffic lights in the maps app when navigating.

They have an excellent writeup and video on what's new here:
https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/ios-13/

BTW, we are already at 13.1.2!

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:05 pm

I updated all our devices over the weekend. Overall not bad and will need time to get used to.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:06 pm

The new iPad software had me wondering how much longer (or how close are we) to iPad completely replacing a Mac in terms of being able to connect the iPad to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse when needed.

anoop

Post by anoop » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:24 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:06 pm
The new iPad software had me wondering how much longer (or how close are we) to iPad completely replacing a Mac in terms of being able to connect the iPad to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse when needed.
I don't own an iPad, but I don't think multitasking is quite there yet. Also if websites treat iPadOS as a mobile device, then the browsing experience is going to be sub par. I would not want to have an app for each website. I tend to keep the number of apps I download to a minimum because of privacy/security concerns. Most people selling apps outsource the development of those apps, so even they don't know what the app is really doing underneath. We shouldn't need an app to get an improved browsing experience for every website. For instance, I don't have apps for my bank, brokerage, employers email, etc. on my phone. I do all that work on my mac via a browser. I just counted -- I have a total of 12 non-Apple apps on my iPhone.

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:47 pm

anoop wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:24 pm
abuss368 wrote:
I don't own an iPad, but I don't think multitasking is quite there yet. Also if websites treat iPadOS as a mobile device, then the browsing experience is going to be sub par. I would not want to have an app for each website. I tend to keep the number of apps I download to a minimum because of privacy/security concerns. Most people selling apps outsource the development of those apps, so even they don't know what the app is really doing underneath. We shouldn't need an app to get an improved browsing experience for every website. For instance, I don't have apps for my bank, brokerage, employers email, etc. on my phone. I do all that work on my mac via a browser. I just counted -- I have a total of 12 non-Apple apps on my iPhone.

Per "Engadget's" review of iPadOS, websites in Safari will now appear as full versions on iPads and not a "watered-down" mobile view if a full version is available. I am assuming this will only take place in Safari, but I am not sure if that will be the case.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:13 pm

Copper John wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:47 pm
anoop wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:24 pm
abuss368 wrote:

Per "Engadget's" review of iPadOS, websites in Safari will now appear as full versions on iPads and not a "watered-down" mobile view if a full version is available. I am assuming this will only take place in Safari, but I am not sure if that will be the case.
iPad web browsing works great. In cases where the mobile site doesn’t get it done (rare), I request the desktop version of the website (this feature is available in iOS 12 and has been around a while). It can only get better with iOS 13.

I find it odd that people think they need a Mac to browse websites and log into accounts. The iPad excels at that. You may still need a Mac for other reasons but web browsing shouldn’t be one of them. I think it comes down to what you’re comfortable with rather than the iPad’s capabilities. I’ve been using an iPad since the first version, so it feels totally natural to me.

As for apps, I consider them enhancements to the browser. Ally, for example, has two great apps but I don’t have to use either if I don’t want to. I can do everything from the website. But I use the main app for 90% of my stuff and the Card Control app rarely. Apps and mobile websites are especially useful on the phone though, because the screen is too small for any meaningful web browsing otherwise.

josehde

Post by josehde » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:09 am

I waited for 13.1 because of articles that said that iOS 13 was buggy, so I didn't expect to see 13.1.1 so soon.

Thank you, Apple, for the silencing unknown callers feature. I also go for dark mode whenever it's available, so that was a welcome addition. Way easier on the eyes.

13.1.1 is working fine for me so far. I may have to replace my battery soon, though...

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:31 am

The floating keyboard in iPadOS is terrific.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?