How to get a repair estimate for unrepairable items? (Extended warranty claim)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Admiral Fun

How to get a repair estimate for unrepairable items? (Extended warranty claim)

Post by Admiral Fun » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:11 pm

I bought a microwave that failed just after 1 year. It should be covered by the credit card extended warranty coverage, but I need a repair estimate. It’s clearly unrepairable.

I bought the microwave at Walmart and the local appliance repair people are not interested in helping me out.

I may just give up but before I do I thought I’d send out the call for some boglehead advice. Has any one been in a similar circumstance?

crake

Re: How to get a repair estimate for unrepairable items? (Extended warranty claim)

Post by crake » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:34 pm

In my experience they will take just about anything and except it as a repair estimate. In your case an email saying it is unrepairable should suffice and the credit card company will most likely pay out.

Topic Author
Admiral Fun

Re: How to get a repair estimate for unrepairable items? (Extended warranty claim)

Post by Admiral Fun » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:37 pm

crake wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:34 pm
In my experience they will take just about anything and except it as a repair estimate. In your case an email saying it is unrepairable should suffice and the credit card company will most likely pay out.
they specifically asked for “a Repair Estimate by a certified, licensed or approved service provider or a Statement of Non Repair from the Manufacturer or Licensed Repair Company.”

But I may just try your email idea if all else fails.

westie

Post by westie » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:03 pm

how much did you pay for it new?

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:04 pm

had this same problem with my credit card extended warranty on an electric toothbrush and a cheap cell phone. No one locally was interested in repairing either - and weren't interested in writing a note on their letterhead explaining that. An email or note from me wasn't enough to qualify - it had to come from an authorized repair center. The mfgr's repair center's call center reps didn't have ability to send emails - they offered to speak with card company over the phone. Card company said that wasn't valid. I could pay to ship back to mfgr, then pay for a formal estimate from their technical team (they charged a eval fee), then hope card would reimburse me, but I grew tired of the back and forth. Wasn't worth my time. Hope you have better luck.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain

Audioarc

Post by Audioarc » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:09 pm

Sounds like a rigged system.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:20 am

Which credit card is this? I've done multiple extended warranties with Amex and luckily they never required this. I feel for you OP as it doesn't sound easy.

Topic Author
Admiral Fun

Post by Admiral Fun » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:03 am

It’s a Citi card. They are dropping the coverage but I submitted the warranty request before the deadline.

I’m only out $170 so not a huge deal. Still, I’m coming to think that most credit card insurance is garbage.

student

Post by student » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:09 am

I would have thought most would charge a fee for diagnostic and then they apply the fee to the actual cost of repairing. If they charge a fee, then they can write an estimate. Don't tell them you need it for insurance. Just ask them to take a look and write the cost of repair and you will pay for their service.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:22 am

MIcrowaves are disposable items.

Send it to the landfill.
Funding secured

bbqguru

Post by bbqguru » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:27 am

When I filed a claim for a laptop I had, they reimbursed me the price of the estimate along with the original purchase price. I'd start with a statement saying that there is not a local repair shop that is willing to look at the item. If that doesn't work, they'll let you know and you can ask them what they would like you to do.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:30 am

Try approaching the manufacturer. Sometimes they offer repair services for a fee. That said, microwaves are disposable, and Citi should just provide the money without a fight. Submit a video.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

BanquetBeer

Post by BanquetBeer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:28 am

Must be an in person evaluation (online won’t work as that does not confirm if the unit was physically damaged)

I would drive to any local appliance repair shop. Ask for a repair estimate - some may charge $20 for this. Make sure they document on the evaluation form that there was no physical damage, and a cost to repair > cost of item.

If you show up to any appliance repair shop and are nice/explain the situation they should comply. May not even charge money.

I’d call the CC company insurance and get details on all the info you need included in this evaluation. (Aka “no physical damage”)

Keep in mind, they probably will not check with the diagnostic place. Many rural diagnostic places are not listed online.

justlearnin

Post by justlearnin » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:20 am

By chance is your microwave a counter top one rather than one over the stove? If so, just unplug it and take your microwave to an appliance store that has a repair shop and have them look at it and write you an estimate. Same thing if you are handy enough to take your microwave down from above your stove.

Good luck.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:38 am

I had a similar issue with a Capital One extended warranty. I had the picture go out on my 55” HDTV after about a year and a half. I filed a claim, they said take it to a repair shop and get an estimate. I did that, they fixed it ($125 - I needed my TV) and I paid them and sent in the repair receipt. The claims processing company said “we need a repair estimate, not a repair order” - even though the repair order clearly stated what was wrong and what the fix was. I contacted the repair place and asked if they could write up a repair estimate (for the work already done) and that it was for an extended warranty claim. The repair guy said “I don’t know what in the ... that they want that they don’t already have, but sure”. I submitted this and ultimately got reimbursed, but what a hassle.

The funny thing is, this is supposed to be a benefit, but I actually came away feeling that I’d had a negative experience and used the Capital One card less for a few months because of it. On the other hand, I’ve recommended the TV guy to a couple of others.
Last edited by Kenkat on Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

jms

Post by jms » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:55 am

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago with a cell phone. The CC company insisted on a written, in person repair estimate. Key is to find an independent appliance repair person. I found a guy with a small independent store who said my phone just wasn't repairable. I agreed with him but asked if he would humor me and help me out with an estimate. Nice guy and he wrote one up, which I sent in and later got reimbursed from the CC co. I've since gone back to this fellow for laptop work and a replacement phone battery and he recalls me with a chuckle as "that guy". All good in the end!

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:13 am

Admiral Fun wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:11 pm
I bought a microwave that failed just after 1 year. It should be covered by the credit card extended warranty coverage, but I need a repair estimate. It’s clearly unrepairable.

I bought the microwave at Walmart and the local appliance repair people are not interested in helping me out.

I may just give up but before I do I thought I’d send out the call for some boglehead advice. Has any one been in a similar circumstance?
I went through this process recently. I had my appliance repair guy write me an "estimate" for $2000 in parts and labor for a $700 refrigerator. I then send the $2k estimate to Chase Benefits Services who then wrote me a $700 check. My first submission was an handwritten estimate that didn't meet their requirements but a short phone call with the benefits person clarified what's required for successful claim: in-person visit by licensed repairman, company address and phone number on estimate, appliance serial number listed, and parts/labor clearly itemized.

beyou

Post by beyou » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:12 pm

Ok, now I really wont buy extended warrantees ;-)

There is another thread about Citi dropping perks such as this. Was it ever really a perk ?

Bammerman

Post by Bammerman » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:51 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:22 am
MIcrowaves are disposable items.

Send it to the landfill.
No, don't do this, instead donate it to your Habitat for Humanity ReStore! They can sell non-working appliances, including microwave ovens, to metal recyclers for the metal content. My local Habitat makes thousands of $$ each year this way.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:57 pm

beyou wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:12 pm
Ok, now I really wont buy extended warrantees ;-)

There is another thread about Citi dropping perks such as this. Was it ever really a perk ?
It's still a perk for many Chase cards (e.g. Chase Reserve). As I mentioned above, I just got a check last month from Chase Card benefits for $700 for an out-of-manufacturer's warranty refrigerator. It required one online submission of docs followed by a phone call from a claims agent requesting a formal estimate of repairs.

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:07 pm

At a small independent appliance retailer several months ago, while I was being quoted for an appliance package, I saw someone bring their toaster oven thingy in, & plainly say he needs to "buy" an estimate for his warranty company. "$20 for 5 minutes & a piece of paper & some ink." Several minutes later he left with his estimate.

I don't think at all he was fishing for an overpriced estimate, but I do think he knew this is the way he would get what he needed.

GreenGrowTheDollars

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:31 am

We didn't have any issues like this when we made an Amex claim.