Looking at a new (used) car!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
telecaster

Looking at a new (used) car!

Post by telecaster » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:52 pm

Well, cheap as I am, ... we are looking to replace my wife's 2007 civic. It has 160k miles and plenty of life left in it, but we have a young child now and need something with more room and better snow handling.

I'm looking at certified pre-owned honda CR-V's.
I'm pretty sold on a 2016 SE which looks like the right price point and lack of unnecessary bells and whistles for us.
One I'm looking at has 15k miles and a negotiated (over the phone) price of 19K.

I'm sure I can get that down a little in person. Just looking for thoughts on buying CPO and if its worth the extra expense.
There are examples of this car that show for less if I'm willing to drive far. But honestly, I find that seeing them in person often doesn't match up to what you expect from looking at online photos and I"m hesitant to spend precious time cruising around the state to look at vehicles that might not hold up in person in order to save a few hundred more bucks.

I turned down several of these cars before because the dealers weren't willing to come to a price I thought was fair based on KBB valuations.
I'm letting my guard down some here as this one is near the top end of what KBB suggests is fair.

Am I getting soft :)?

Thanks

willthrill81

Re: Looking at a new (used) car!

Post by willthrill81 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:05 pm

An attorney in Michigan specializing in lemon law has repeatedly noted that certified pre-owned vehicles are often a scam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOH8jXTwELg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRjsDYxl09Y

You're better off getting your mechanic to inspect a vehicle from a private party.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

mhc

Post by mhc » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:14 pm

seems like for $5k more, maybe less, you could get a brand new 2019 CR-V. I would be more inclined to go that route. The 2019 models are going to be getting cheaper every day. The 2020s will be out soon.

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:14 pm

Not worth it, you are just paying (a lot) for additional warranty. Many times dealers don't even inspect the cars they CPO. Put the extra money towards a newer/lower mileage car. Do your own independent inspection.

Avoid 2017+ CRVs as those have the oil dilution problem.

Topic Author
telecaster

Post by telecaster » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:52 pm

The oil problem is just on the turbos right?

Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:13 pm

Mod: thread moved to Personal Consumer Issues

abonder

Post by abonder » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:23 pm

Yes - the oil fuel dilution issues are with the 2017 and newer models with the 1.5 turbo engine. I don’t know the severity or risk of issues but it would give me pause. You can still buy the lowest (LX) trim with the non-turbo 2.4 Liter engine, but I believe then you forgo some of the safety features.

In general you will get best price on used vehicle if you go private party sale. Just have the car inspected and make sure you find an owner with good records who appears to have cared well for the vehicle. You can get a sense of the expected prices by using Kelly blue book etc.

You have the luxury of time so you can decide on your target vehicle and watch prices as cars come up and then act when the ideal deal arises. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to replace a 12-year-old car with 160k miles, especially if your family’s need Have changed.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:05 pm

mhc wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:14 pm
seems like for $5k more, maybe less, you could get a brand new 2019 CR-V. I would be more inclined to go that route. The 2019 models are going to be getting cheaper every day. The 2020s will be out soon.
+1

A new car would likely also have some of the new advanced safety features and better integration with your cellphone.

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:03 pm

You should get some emailed quotes for new a new CR-V as a point of comparison. $19K sounds a bit steep for a 3 year old model, when a new one is MSRP at ~25K. If that new car is more like $23K, then why bother? The point of buying used is to get better-than-linear depreciation, because you expect that a new car loses value at a faster rate during the first few years. i.e. if it's $25K, and you figure it's worth $5K after 10 years, then straight line depreciation is $2K/year. After 3 years, it's at best worth 19K, if it's straight-line, but I'd need a better deal than that, b/c I'd rather just buy new and hold for 10 years, rather than buy used and hold for 7 as there's inherent value in driving a new car (known history, higher dependability/warranty etc). That said, toyota's and hondas tend to hold their value well, perhaps too well, making buying lightly used unattractive.

Further, when it's listed as MSRP $25K, especially at the end of a model year, you'll probably be able to find it cheaper. I bought a hybrid camry last spring, that was listed at $33K for MSRP, but which sold for $26K ($28K out the door w/ tax). At the time, another dealership offered $27K, and several dealerships offered for $29-33K, so there was a pretty wide range.

I'd recommend calling/emailing all honda dealerships within a 90min driving radius. Basically, tell them what you're looking for, and what the minimum acceptable feature set is. i.e. "I want a new 2019 Honda CR-V, LX trim, w/ [optionA, optionB]. Colors x, y, and z are acceptable. Please quote a cash price, assuming no trade-in, and email to me at zzz." Optionally add if you can wait up to <date> for delivery.

Note that the end of the month/quarter is approaching... After you get the 1st round of quotes, you might take the top 3 and let them know they're your top 3 and ask for their final out-the-door price to ensure an apples-to-apples comparison.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:16 pm

Watty wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:05 pm
mhc wrote:
+1

A new car would likely also have some of the new advanced safety features and better integration with your cellphone.
The safety of a 2016 vehicle will likely be almost identical to the same model of a 2019 vehicle unless the design has been overhauled.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:32 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:16 pm
Watty wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:05 pm
mhc wrote:
+1

The safety of a 2016 vehicle will likely be almost identical to the same model of a 2019 vehicle unless the design has been overhauled.
Not very many 2016's have AEB, blind spot monitoring, lane keeping, and decent headlights. You can read all the studies showing how that stuff reduces accidents. Now we are talking huge differences (10-20%) but it is still there. =

And in this case a 2016 CRV is a 2011 platform. The 2017 are on a new platform which does marginally better in crashes. 19k doesn't seem like a screaming deal (not sure what exactly a 2016 SE edition comes with and if we are talking FWD or AWD) but .most of these CUVs aren't depreciating enough to make them really great bargains. Maybe if the dealer takes another 2k off.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:29 am

telecaster wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:52 pm
Well, cheap as I am, ... we are looking to replace my wife's 2007 civic. It has 160k miles and plenty of life left in it, but we have a young child now and need something with more room and better snow handling.
What sort of snow tires are you installing in winter??
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

Topic Author
telecaster

Post by telecaster » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:45 am

I don't swap tires for the season. My other vehicle is true 4wd. Looking to replace the honda with an AWD option.

I know snow tires are much better in the winter, but I don't want to be bothered keeping or changing them each year.

I'm leaning new now and I'd like the EX for some of the features but i just don't trust a small turbo charged engine to last 15 years regardless of the oil dillution concerns.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:49 pm

telecaster wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:45 am
I don't swap tires for the season. My other vehicle is true 4wd. Looking to replace the honda with an AWD option.
Keep in mind that not all AWD systems are created equal. Subaru's is widely recognized to be one of if not the best. We live fairly close to Sandpoint, Idaho, which gets significant snow and ice every winter, and it's not an exaggeration to say that close to half of the vehicles in town are Subarus.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:27 pm

I find this site to be useful:

www.carcomplaints.com
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

krafty81

Post by krafty81 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:28 pm

I recommend the Consumer Reports Used Car Guide, a real "bible" for me!