Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
Mister A
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:17 pm

Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by Mister A » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:49 pm

Looking to buy a specific style of mid-century modern sofa. You probably know the look: woven fabric, square arms, tufted cushions, and tapered legs. I probably either want one with a matching ottoman or a reversible chaise. Quite a few brands carry some variation on it and I think I've narrowed it down to four:

West Elm Drake:
https://www.westelm.com/products/drake- ... Cdrake%7C9

Crate and Barrel Petrie:
https://www.crateandbarrel.com/petrie-sofa/s106389

Apt2B Lexington:
https://www.apt2b.com/collections/lexin ... 0209080409

Joybird Eliot:
https://joybird.com/sofas/eliot-sofa/

With that said, West Elm has had some notorious sofa quality problems in the last few years, and Joybird has reportedly fallen off and had service issues, as well. Crate and Barrel seems especially high priced for what it is, and there are a number of reviews about cushion/fabric durability. With free shipping and 15% off, Apt2B is the cheapest option currently and they seem to have a positive reputation, but no particular reviews on this collection. West Elm's 20% Friends and Family sale is on, as well, and I may be able to pull off 5% cashback through credit card bonuses.

Does anyone have opinions on how to go about this purchase? Not necessarily looking for an heirloom piece, but for a reasonable price on some version of it that won't look like junk in 2-3 years. It seems like finding a decent sofa is a struggle even if I don't have a particular look in mind.

FireSekr
Posts: 1051
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by FireSekr » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:57 pm

West Elm is Ikea quality at significantly higher prices.

For a nice balance between quality, design, and value, try Room & Board. I've had a few pieces from Crate and Barrel and liked them, but can't speak to that sofa in particular. I will say that the Room and Board furniture I have is better quality and lower price than Crate and Barrel.

KFBR392
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:32 pm

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by KFBR392 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:58 pm

I would avoid West Elm like the plague. Quality aside, their fulfillment system is a disaster. Your item will likely be delayed and when it finally arrives it won't be what you ordered or something will be missing.

Crate & Barrel is probably the way to go. Most of my employer's furniture is from them and it's held up well.

You might also consider looking at Room & Board. Probably a few hundred more then C&B, but most of my home furniture is from them. It's stylish and very well-made.

carolinaman
Posts: 4049
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by carolinaman » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:24 pm

I am not familiar with those brands. Some of the best upholstered furniture is made in NC. Sherrill is a good mid priced manufacturer that makes nice upholstered furniture. We have a sofa and chair in our living room we bought 11 years ago that still looks and sits good. Two places to check for this and other quality manufacturers are:
https://www.furniturelandsouth.com which is in High Point, and

https://www.hickoryfurniture.com/ in Hickory

ronno2018
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:31 am

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by ronno2018 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:27 pm

Office where I work just got some items from https://www.dwr.com/living-sofa-and-sle ... lang=en_US

Might be worth it to spend a bit more?

daheld
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:14 am
Location: Midwest US

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by daheld » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:32 pm


cherijoh
Posts: 6406
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:49 pm
Location: Charlotte NC

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by cherijoh » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:36 pm

carolinaman wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:24 pm
I am not familiar with those brands. Some of the best upholstered furniture is made in NC. Sherrill is a good mid priced manufacturer that makes nice upholstered furniture. We have a sofa and chair in our living room we bought 11 years ago that still looks and sits good. Two places to check for this and other quality manufacturers are:
https://www.furniturelandsouth.com which is in High Point, and

https://www.hickoryfurniture.com/ in Hickory
I'm in Charlotte and have visited both places in person. FLS is HUGE!!! 1.3M square feet - yes that is MILLION. You better wear comfortable shoes! :wink:

My brother (who lives in MD) has bought several pieces of furniture from Furniture Land South and had it shipped at very reasonable prices.

Topic Author
Mister A
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:17 pm

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by Mister A » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:49 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:57 pm
For a nice balance between quality, design, and value, try Room & Board. I've had a few pieces from Crate and Barrel and liked them, but can't speak to that sofa in particular. I will say that the Room and Board furniture I have is better quality and lower price than Crate and Barrel.
KFBR392 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:58 pm
You might also consider looking at Room & Board. Probably a few hundred more then C&B, but most of my home furniture is from them. It's stylish and very well-made.
Interesting. They have something that's a close fit, Holmes, and not much more price-wise. That's a definite contender. Thank you.

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/cu ... 031507615a
ronno2018 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:27 pm
Office where I work just got some items from https://www.dwr.com/living-sofa-and-sle ... lang=en_US

Might be worth it to spend a bit more?
daheld wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:32 pm
https://gusmodern.com/
I like these, but the price points I'm seeing ($3,000+) are impractical for this room. Then again, free shipping. They look like really nice product lines and it's something to think about. Appreciated.
carolinaman wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:24 pm
Two places to check for this and other quality manufacturers are:
https://www.furniturelandsouth.com which is in High Point, and

https://www.hickoryfurniture.com/ in Hickory
Oh boy, I might be on those websites for a while this evening. Thanks. :sharebeer

FireSekr
Posts: 1051
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by FireSekr » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Mister A wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:49 pm
ssquared87 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:57 pm
For a nice balance between quality, design, and value, try Room & Board. I've had a few pieces from Crate and Barrel and liked them, but can't speak to that sofa in particular. I will say that the Room and Board furniture I have is better quality and lower price than Crate and Barrel.
KFBR392 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:58 pm
You might also consider looking at Room & Board. Probably a few hundred more then C&B, but most of my home furniture is from them. It's stylish and very well-made.
Interesting. They have something that's a close fit, Holmes, and not much more price-wise. That's a definite contender. Thank you.

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/cu ... 031507615a
ronno2018 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:27 pm
Office where I work just got some items from https://www.dwr.com/living-sofa-and-sle ... lang=en_US

Might be worth it to spend a bit more?
daheld wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:32 pm
https://gusmodern.com/
I like these, but the price points I'm seeing ($3,000+) are impractical for this room. Then again, free shipping. They look like really nice product lines and it's something to think about. Appreciated.
carolinaman wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:24 pm
Two places to check for this and other quality manufacturers are:
https://www.furniturelandsouth.com which is in High Point, and

https://www.hickoryfurniture.com/ in Hickory
Oh boy, I might be on those websites for a while this evening. Thanks. :sharebeer
Can’t recommend Room & Board highly enough. The quality is excellent and the customer service is even better. They spent a lot of time with me in the store looking at photos of the room and measurements and providing suggestions. They even gave me some feedback on items I was planning on purchasing elsewhere and how they’d fit with the Room & Board items.

They also have an excellent return policy. You can basically return anything as long as it’s in new condition whenever you want. I tried a night stand and lamp I wasn’t sure about and had them for 3-4 months going back and forth in my mind whether I liked them or not. Eventually I decided they were not working for me and they took them back no issue
Last edited by FireSekr on Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FeesR-BullNotBullish
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 11:22 am

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:10 pm

My wife and I just had two sofas delivered from www.article.com. We find them stylish and comfortable. Highly recommend.

Topic Author
Mister A
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:17 pm

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by Mister A » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:51 pm

FeesR-BullNotBullish wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:10 pm
My wife and I just had two sofas delivered from www.article.com. We find them stylish and comfortable. Highly recommend.
It's funny you mention that, their name comes up a lot but I initially didn't see anything I liked. However, now both the Burrard and, surprisingly, the Ceni jump out at me as possibilities.

https://www.article.com/product/1525/bu ... -gray-sofa
https://www.article.com/product/1170/ce ... -gray-sofa

It's hard to argue with the prices and I really would prefer a collection with an ottoman. Do you feel like what you received is well-constructed and has a durable fabric?

FeesR-BullNotBullish
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 11:22 am

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:29 pm

Mister A wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:51 pm
FeesR-BullNotBullish wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:10 pm
My wife and I just had two sofas delivered from www.article.com. We find them stylish and comfortable. Highly recommend.
It's funny you mention that, their name comes up a lot but I initially didn't see anything I liked. However, now both the Burrard and, surprisingly, the Ceni jump out at me as possibilities.

https://www.article.com/product/1525/bu ... -gray-sofa
https://www.article.com/product/1170/ce ... -gray-sofa

It's hard to argue with the prices and I really would prefer a collection with an ottoman. Do you feel like what you received is well-constructed and has a durable fabric?
I haven't peaked under the cushions, but the couches sure feel like they're good quality when I sit on them. We have one leather and one fabric. The leather one has a chaise lounger which is pretty sweet. The cushions feel like they're on the firmer side which I like; I feel supported but super comfy at the same time.

I can't speak to long term durability because we've only had our sofas a few weeks. I think both of them are Sven Models. My wife handled all of it. I was skeptical to get couches online, but I'm pleased with her choices.

FWIW we chose an upgraded shipping method that would deliver the couches inside the house to their respective rooms. I think it was the middle of three choices. The shipping method wasn't supposed to unpack or haul away dunnage, but they did anyways!

Here is a review of online sofas from the Wirecutter: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-online-sofa/

They chose BenchMade but Article was the runner up. Due to the value of our Article pieces, I am happy we went with them.

EDIT - remove duplicate word

Millennial
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:46 pm

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by Millennial » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:57 pm

We recently got three chairs from joybird and sent them back. Fulfillment was a mess, and there were quality issues with the pieces.

I recommend trying campaign - a lot less selection, but not far in style from what you're looking for. And the quality of construction is much, much higher.

BarbBrooklyn
Posts: 605
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:33 am
Location: NYC

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:13 pm

Google "Floyd Sofa". They seem to be a very reliable group.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

sg0422
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:59 pm

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by sg0422 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:24 pm

I recommend the Holmes sofa by Room and Board. Best value (IMO) for what you’re getting - US made, quality construction. My wife and I couldn’t be happier. West Elm pieces are relegated to low traffic items and only when on clearance.

protagonist
Posts: 6244
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by protagonist » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:24 pm

I just bought a sofa online from Benchmade Modern....Wirecutter rates them as the best FWIW. I am, so far, very pleased with my purchase.
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-online-sofa/
If you wait they frequently have sales....20% off when I purchased mine.

Topic Author
Mister A
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:17 pm

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by Mister A » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:11 pm

Very cool, looking into these. This thread has really helped me cement what my options are and rule some ideas out. I'll probably order some swatches and head into the city to check out Room & Board and Crate & Barrel displays.

Also found this article about which construction features are good quality that might help somebody in the future: https://hammers-and-heels.com/blogs/ham ... ing-a-sofa

Also, thanks again for the tip on Room & Board. Even if I don't order the Holmes, it's going on my list of places to shop for good.
Last edited by Mister A on Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

yolli71
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 9:53 am

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by yolli71 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:18 pm

Mister A wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:49 pm
Looking to buy a specific style of mid-century modern sofa. You probably know the look: woven fabric, square arms, tufted cushions, and tapered legs. I probably either want one with a matching ottoman or a reversible chaise. Quite a few brands carry some variation on it and I think I've narrowed it down to four:

West Elm Drake:
https://www.westelm.com/products/drake- ... Cdrake%7C9

Crate and Barrel Petrie:
https://www.crateandbarrel.com/petrie-sofa/s106389

Apt2B Lexington:
https://www.apt2b.com/collections/lexin ... 0209080409

Joybird Eliot:
https://joybird.com/sofas/eliot-sofa/

With that said, West Elm has had some notorious sofa quality problems in the last few years, and Joybird has reportedly fallen off and had service issues, as well. Crate and Barrel seems especially high priced for what it is, and there are a number of reviews about cushion/fabric durability. With free shipping and 15% off, Apt2B is the cheapest option currently and they seem to have a positive reputation, but no particular reviews on this collection. West Elm's 20% Friends and Family sale is on, as well, and I may be able to pull off 5% cashback through credit card bonuses.

Does anyone have opinions on how to go about this purchase? Not necessarily looking for an heirloom piece, but for a reasonable price on some version of it that won't look like junk in 2-3 years. It seems like finding a decent sofa is a struggle even if I don't have a particular look in mind.
We purchased the Eliot from Joybird but returned it. Quality was good overall but the cushions were stiff as a board. It's probably fine for a formal living room that doesn't get much usage, but I wouldn't want it as my main family room sofa. We had no problems with delivery or return and were refunded quickly, so it was a good experience aside from how uncomfortable the sofa was. We have purchased a desk and ottomans from Joybird in the past and were very pleased...no issues whatsoever. What is a little shady is that I gave the Eliot an average review (3 stars...nice looking but uncomfortable) and they never posted it. They posted my positive reviews from the ottoman and desk though. If you see the reviews, almost every review is positive, yet the guys who picked up the sofa when I returned it said this sofa gets returned a lot. Anyhoo, we ended up going with a totally different looking type of sofa from CB2.

We've bought a few items from West Elm but I too have heard negative things overall. We like C&B, but my wife's favorite store is definitely Room and Board. R&B is pretty pricey though. I'm not familiar with some of those other online companies, but I'll need to check them out.

sksavers3
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:59 pm

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by sksavers3 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:19 pm

Adding to chorus of satisfied Room & Board customers. Over the last 15 years we’ve purchased a sofa (still going strong, could use a cleaning but otherwise excellent condition), several solid wood bookcases, dressers, beds, a dining table, and various accessories like frames and lamps. We love their style and their commitment to US made high quality stuff. They don’t mess around with pricing and sales. It’s not cheap but the value is solid. You can also use their free design services if you live near a brick and mortar store.

User avatar
AerialWombat
Posts: 1291
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 1:07 pm

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by AerialWombat » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:35 pm

Do humans actually pay this kind of dough for something to sit on??? Just mind blowing to me. :shock:

greenbldg2
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:42 pm

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by greenbldg2 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:20 am

Similar look. Half price. Macy's Nari Sofa. I bought an orange one. Not the highest end quality but for the price you can get two! It works similar to other couches.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/nari ... nwQAvD_BwE

User avatar
snackdog
Posts: 869
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:57 am

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by snackdog » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:28 am

For less than half the cost of new, you can buy real, actual mid century sofas which will last forever. There used to be a lady in the Bay area selling Danish furniture she imported monthly. When she had to make room for the next incoming container she would liquidate.

stlutz
Posts: 5552
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by stlutz » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:18 am

greenbldg2 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:20 am
Similar look. Half price. Macy's Nari Sofa. I bought an orange one. Not the highest end quality but for the price you can get two! It works similar to other couches.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/nari ... nwQAvD_BwE
+1. I have multiple furniture pieces from Macy's and all have held up well so far (which is about 3 years).

02nz
Posts: 3369
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by 02nz » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:30 am

+1 on Room and Board, better quality in my experience than C&B.

sport
Posts: 8959
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by sport » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:56 am

We bought a sofa made by this company 8 years ago. It has held up well and we are very pleased with it. It is medium priced.
https://smithbrothersfurniture.com/sofas-sectionals/

BionicBillWalsh
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:56 am
Location: Sandwich Islands

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:27 pm

Another Room and Board fan here.

High quality, American made furniture and they’ll deliver and set it up in your house for you.
Saltwater has an amazing ability to wash away many of life’s troubles

Mr. Rumples
Posts: 628
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:16 am

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:56 pm

$1,500 to $2,000 is not a lot for a good sofa. A good sofa can be reupholstered and last a lifetime. It has to withstand people sitting on the arms, kids balancing themselves on the back, being used as a bed, handing more weight than it was designed for and abused by movers. My cousin is still using his mother's sofa from the 1950's. Its been reupholstered multiple times over the years. Anyone with back issues can appreciate how important it is to get a sofa which sits properly and has the cushion density that is comfortable.

A note on buying used furniture. Most of us are aware of the exploding bedbug problem They not only hide in beds and upholstered furniture but wood furniture that is not upholstered and even in cracks in electronics and clocks. (They even are in used books; libraries are a top spot for bedbug infestations.) I know two people who bought antiques only to find they had bedbugs; the source was traced back to the nymphs in the antiques. It literally took thousands of dollars to get rid of them between the multiple exterminator visits and throwing out things like rugs; at a certain point you just get tired of cleaning. For books, I put books in the freezer for 7 days below zero. I love antiques but have stopped buying them unless its stoneware or metal.

Sagefemme
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:31 pm

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by Sagefemme » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:02 pm

FWIW, I got a bed (The Culla Spindle) from Article. For the price (it was about 25% less than similar beds I saw online) the quality is great. Solid as a rock. Shipped beautifully, nothing scratched, broken, or missing, good assembly instructions. My daughter has a small sofa from Article which also seems good quality and priced well. The cushions are notably firm, so you'd have to be someone who likes that.

SoAnyway
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:49 pm

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by SoAnyway » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:17 am

FireSekr wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:57 pm
West Elm is Ikea quality at significantly higher prices.

For a nice balance between quality, design, and value, try Room & Board. I've had a few pieces from Crate and Barrel and liked them, but can't speak to that sofa in particular. I will say that the Room and Board furniture I have is better quality and lower price than Crate and Barrel.
+1 for the "nice balance" of quality/design/value of Room & Board. I've gone "guardrail to guardrail" over the years - everything from high end to low end - in my furniture-buying travels. SoAnyway, I loved the quality of C&B and much higher-up but didn't love the premium cost; loved the look and pricing of West Elm/Ikea/et al. but low quality meant more frequent replacement and the time/$ costs therein.

I found Room & Board to be a nice "Goldilocks solution" for my needs for certain pieces. Kudos, too, to their customer service in the one rare instance where I had an issue post-delivery.

Full disclosure: I have NO association with R&B whatsoever, OP. Just a happy customer. :happy
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

protagonist
Posts: 6244
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by protagonist » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:08 pm

protagonist wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:24 pm
I just bought a sofa online from Benchmade Modern....Wirecutter rates them as the best FWIW. I am, so far, very pleased with my purchase.
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-online-sofa/
If you wait they frequently have sales....20% off when I purchased mine.
Follow up....a month or so later, still satisfied. We bought the "Uncle Sal" with chaise (sectional), about 100" long with Glee Griege fabric. They are very customizable, free delivery ($250 extra for white glove service), they will send you swatches and a blueprint free. It took a bit longer than they advertised....I think about 6-8 weeks from order to delivery....but no problems. Currently they have 20% off as they did when we bought ours (I think the total price was a bit over $3000). The 20% off is pretty common so if you can wait for it it will probably repeat itself. https://benchmademodern.com/shop/all-pr ... haise.html

Dottie57
Posts: 8219
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm
Location: Earth Northern Hemisphere

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:46 pm

FireSekr wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:57 pm
West Elm is Ikea quality at significantly higher prices.

For a nice balance between quality, design, and value, try Room & Board. I've had a few pieces from Crate and Barrel and liked them, but can't speak to that sofa in particular. I will say that the Room and Board furniture I have is better quality and lower price than Crate and Barrel.
Agree about West Elm, Crate & Barrel and Room & Board. R&B has lovely, well made furniture. All three stores are within a mile of my home.

User avatar
FlyAF
Posts: 514
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:14 am

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by FlyAF » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:53 am

Recently bought a sofa from Arhaus which we love if you have one local.

Glockenspiel
Posts: 1011
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:20 pm

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by Glockenspiel » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:42 am

Room and Board has great quality furniture with many classic styles, including mid-century modern.

clutchied
Posts: 655
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by clutchied » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:41 am

We've had the Petrie from C&B for over 8 years now. it's a quality sofa that is holding up well.

You have a to be a little careful with the tufted buttons as they are difficult to repair and cleaning the sofa is very difficult.

It's a nice sofa and looks the part but it's not all that comfortable.

Topic Author
Mister A
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:17 pm

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by Mister A » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:38 pm

protagonist wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:08 pm
protagonist wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:24 pm
I just bought a sofa online from Benchmade Modern....Wirecutter rates them as the best FWIW. I am, so far, very pleased with my purchase.
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-online-sofa/
If you wait they frequently have sales....20% off when I purchased mine.
Follow up....a month or so later, still satisfied. We bought the "Uncle Sal" with chaise (sectional), about 100" long with Glee Griege fabric. They are very customizable, free delivery ($250 extra for white glove service), they will send you swatches and a blueprint free. It took a bit longer than they advertised....I think about 6-8 weeks from order to delivery....but no problems. Currently they have 20% off as they did when we bought ours (I think the total price was a bit over $3000). The 20% off is pretty common so if you can wait for it it will probably repeat itself. https://benchmademodern.com/shop/all-pr ... haise.html
Didn't realize this thread had come back to life. For what it's worth, BMM is the route I've ended up going. I was going to go Crate & Barrel but eventually fell in love with something I saw in another store in a different mid-century style. However, the quality was not where I wanted it. BMM had some styles that were similar, so I emailed them with a diagram and asked if there was something they could do. The CEO replied with a proposal to combine pieces from two styles (Crowd Pleaser top with loose pillows, Kaden base with that sleek wood rail) and even wanted to have a phone chat about it.

I'm waiting on more swatches and the blueprints now. Really happy with their responsiveness so far and transparency when I asked about their construction methods. Thanks for tipping me off.

I'm also going to be circling back around to Room & Board after the New Year for a new walnut desk. This thread has been great.

protagonist
Posts: 6244
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by protagonist » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:33 pm

Mister A wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:38 pm
protagonist wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:08 pm
protagonist wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:24 pm
I just bought a sofa online from Benchmade Modern....Wirecutter rates them as the best FWIW. I am, so far, very pleased with my purchase.
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-online-sofa/
If you wait they frequently have sales....20% off when I purchased mine.
Follow up....a month or so later, still satisfied. We bought the "Uncle Sal" with chaise (sectional), about 100" long with Glee Griege fabric. They are very customizable, free delivery ($250 extra for white glove service), they will send you swatches and a blueprint free. It took a bit longer than they advertised....I think about 6-8 weeks from order to delivery....but no problems. Currently they have 20% off as they did when we bought ours (I think the total price was a bit over $3000). The 20% off is pretty common so if you can wait for it it will probably repeat itself. https://benchmademodern.com/shop/all-pr ... haise.html
Didn't realize this thread had come back to life. For what it's worth, BMM is the route I've ended up going. I was going to go Crate & Barrel but eventually fell in love with something I saw in another store in a different mid-century style. However, the quality was not where I wanted it. BMM had some styles that were similar, so I emailed them with a diagram and asked if there was something they could do. The CEO replied with a proposal to combine pieces from two styles (Crowd Pleaser top with loose pillows, Kaden base with that sleek wood rail) and even wanted to have a phone chat about it.

I'm waiting on more swatches and the blueprints now. Really happy with their responsiveness so far and transparency when I asked about their construction methods. Thanks for tipping me off.

I'm also going to be circling back around to Room & Board after the New Year for a new walnut desk. This thread has been great.
We are still happy with ours....had it for about 3 months now.

Yes, the same woman seems to usually answer the phone (leading me to believe it is a small operation). She was extremely helpful to us.
In addition, because the delivery service took 3 weeks from when they received the sofa to when it was actually delivered, she offered to reimburse me the cost of the "white glove service". All in all a very good experience.

I hope you enjoy yours as well. Please let us know.

rjbraun
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Mid-Century Sofa - Quality of Online Brands / Midrange Chains

Post by rjbraun » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:53 pm

Mister A wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:38 pm
I'm also going to be circling back around to Room & Board after the New Year for a new walnut desk. This thread has been great.
In case you're not aware, my understanding is that Room & Board will only raise prices once a year. I guess this ties in with their approach of not having periodic sales, for example, so that consumers don't risk making a purchase only to find that they could have paid less.

Anyway, they told me that in the event of a price hike on an item, this would occur at the start of the new year and with no prior notice.

I am seriously considering getting a number of Rollins bookcase units and have already placed a reminder in my phone so that I don't risk getting blindsided by a higher price early in the new year. :shock:

Post Reply