Need to buy new over the range microwave; which brand/model is reliable?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
abs9986

Need to buy new over the range microwave; which brand/model is reliable?

Post by abs9986 »

Our over the range Frigidaire broke after 1.5 years of light use. We are looking to purchase another microwave and it seems that every one I read up on has several reviews stating they broke between 6 months and 2 years.

Are there any reliable brands out there that actually last more than 3 years? Having to reorder and install is a pain. I'd rather pay more to get something reliable.

We don't need any fancy features, just the basics.
Last edited by abs9986 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
BolderBoy

Re: Need to buy new over the range microwave; which brand/model is reliable?

Post by BolderBoy »

abs9986 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:35 amAre there any reliable brands out there that actually last more than 3 years? Having to reorder and install is a pain. I'd rather pay more to get something reliable.
I have a GE Advantium. Been using it daily for many years. Was $2500 new in 2003.

I use it on one setting - High - and typically for <4 minutes each time.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
drzzzzz

Post by drzzzzz »

GE advantium has been pretty impressive - seems to be able to do just about anything and has been reliable.
Topic Author
abs9986

Post by abs9986 »

those look pretty expensive...was hoping to keep it under $400
mattshwink

Post by mattshwink »

Another vote for the Advantium. Had an over the stove model in our townhouse and now have a cabinet model in our single family home. Love the advantium and never had an issue. They can be expensive, but Sears Outlet has lots of discounted units, though it depends on if you have a local one and if they have what you want. https://www.searsoutlet.com/br/pdp/ge-p ... d=61262501
beehivehave

Post by beehivehave »

A quick look at Consumer Reports rating of individual models indicates Frigidaire, Whirlpool and Kenmore are the most reliable, GE, KitchenAid, Maytag, Sharp and LG not as much, and Samsung is awful. The ratings across models are surprisingly consistent. Whirlpools are the two highest rated overall ($400) and an IKEA model in the middle of the pack was the cheapest ($150) and rated among the most reliable.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

I had a GE that was fine for 20 years if you didn't try to use the convection mode. I did have a broken handle, but that was an easy fix.

Having said that, I don't think there is anything special about GE.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

beehivehave wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:30 pm A quick look at Consumer Reports rating of individual models indicates Frigidaire, Whirlpool and Kenmore are the most reliable, GE, KitchenAid, Maytag, Sharp and LG not as much, and Samsung is awful. The ratings across models are surprisingly consistent. Whirlpools are the two highest rated overall ($400) and an IKEA model in the middle of the pack was the cheapest ($150) and rated among the most reliable.
+1

Here you will mostly get anecdotes. If you want data, consumerreports.org is a more-likely prospect.
Topic Author
abs9986

Post by abs9986 »

I'll definitely check that out. I'm curious if anyone else has thoughts on this topic?
PMG73

Post by PMG73 »

I'd agree that Consumer Reports is a good source of information, with the caveat that failure after 18 months seems a very poor result. I think you could expect any replacement unit from a major manufacturer to last five years or more, even one rated poorly by Consumer Reports.

In my experience, the parts that failed were the light bulbs (easy to replace) and the door latch (easy repair). I have had decent experience with GE and Samsung - 10 years+ life for the original GE unit in our house and 6 years and counting for the Samsung I installed as a replacement. The Samsung did need the door latch repair mentioned above.

Personally, I expect appliances to last for about ten years, possibly with some minor repairs along the way. Browsing the repair videos may be a good way to spot the weak points of some products. For example, the Samsung microwave door latch has a spring mounted on a very flimsy molded plastic hook that apparently breaks frequently. The fix is to drill a hole in the part to mount the spring more securely.
Buckeye Chuck

Post by Buckeye Chuck »

I have a ge spacemaker. Not sure if this model is still around. Going strong for 15 years.
AtlBoglehead

Post by AtlBoglehead »

I have two kitchens in my home. We installed 2 GE microwaves about 10 yrs ago. Never had a minute's problem with either. Haven't had a problem with our GE stove either. But our LG refrigerator and LG stove are constantly breaking. So I'd avoid LG like the plague if I were you.
DarthSage

Post by DarthSage »

We just remodeled out kitchen, and put in an over-the-range microwave, GE model. So far, so good, it gets a lot of use. I think it cost under $800, and I know we looked at Consumer Reports before choosing. Also, it's just a regular microwave with vent and a light--no convection or other fancy features.

The only issue I have is that the interior isn't as tall as our previous, countertop microwave, but that's probably due to the style/location. And I don't need the height all that often, it's just something I noticed.
student

Post by student »

Can you just buy an over the counter one? It is much less expensive and easy to dispose of.
6Pack

Post by 6Pack »

We have a KitchenAid convection oven/microwave. It’s a little pricey, but you add a second oven to your kitchen without increasing footprint.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Asking this question on a heavily visited appliance forum might have value. Asking it here - you're going to get at best a few dozen non-scientific answers.

Many sites provide product reviews, some actually test products.

https://www.consumerreports.org/product ... ven/view2/ - you can pay for access, or sometimes get free access via your library, or checkout an issue.

https://thewirecutter.com/

I buy everything that has a warranty with a Citi Card, to add 2 years to the warranty. However, as of 9/22/19, many Citi cards are losing benefits like that. The Costco Visa will retain that benefit.
Last edited by RickBoglehead on Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

I have a whirlpool that is reliable and problem free for 10 years.

Prior to that I had a GE with a poorly-designed plastic door handle that broke off from the two mounting screws within 4-5 years. The replacement part cost 50% of the microwave cost! When it broke again in 3 years, I replaced the whole unit.