Help! Bought new car and don't like it

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Nowizard

Help! Bought new car and don't like it

Post by Nowizard » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:37 pm

Though have posted elsewhere on the site in a manner that would identify the vehicle, I am not trashing it as a vehicle, just stating it is not right for me.
Bought a new (2019) vehicle more than a week ago, so it is beyond the legal time during which it can be returned. Was purchased with a trade-in for OTD price of $6,500. The material needed for titling has not arrived, and it is untitled. What options exist if I decide I do not want to keep this vehicle? It has no lien.
1. Should it be sold before titling?
2. Should it be traded in on another vehicle prior to titling? This would be to another dealer since there are no other models of this make desired. If not traded, there would be sales tax on the purchase total of another vehicle (Trade-in on this one between 25-30K. Sales tax in our area is .0925%, substantial).
3. Are there other suggestions on how to minimize the "loss" from what is appearing to have been a stupid decision? I know something must be done quickly if the best decision involves not titling the vehicle.

Tim :oops:

Watty

Re: Help! Bought new car and don't like it

Post by Watty » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:39 pm

If you have a spouse then would they be happy with that car?

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:48 pm

Pretty sure it will still be a used car no matter what you do. I don't see the titling issue saving you on this one.

Is it one of those "I didn't realize how bad the seats are for me?" after purchase, vs during the test drive? You can spend up to $2000 getting the seat customized in various ways instead of taking the depreciation hit.
If it is something else, good luck. Realize that this will be a costly mistake, try to minimize it, learn from the experience, use that knowledge on the next vehicle, and move on.

[edit] I see its a 2019 Forester (nice choice) and it may be a fit/comfort issue with your knee.
If this is 90% of the reason you need to get rid of the car, I'd look into modifying it somehow. Add memory foam to where your knee rests or cut out part of the plastic panel? (that part could be replaced prior to resale later on) etc.

best of luck

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:13 pm

May want to search this forum...

https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/ ... st-7569701

https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/ ... on.436194/

https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/ ... ost-694869

It may also be possible to swap out the seat from another Subaru year/ model (WRX, etc).

Is the owner's manual on seat adjustment of any help!
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:41 pm

You can’t sell it nor trade it in until it is titled in your name. You contractually own it but you don’t have legal title to the vehicle. The only way to prevent taking legal title is to talk the dealer out of the sale. They might agree to that - it’s worth a shot - but may require compensation.

You may be in a bit of panic and experiencing buyers remorse. I’d suggest that you might want to take possession of the car and drive it for a few months before you decide if it is really the wrong car for you. If, after a few months, you decide you still feel the same way, trade it in or sell it and take the hit financially. It’s a few thousand bucks which, while not a small sum, is probably not going to be a devastating blow financially either.

I’ve made this mistake myself - traded in my beloved 87 Acura Integra with 144,000 miles for an econobox that, while a decent car, I never liked. Ended up trading it in after a couple of years. Should have run the Integra longer, it was still in decent shape. Oh well...
Last edited by Kenkat on Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:54 pm

Nowizard wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:37 pm

Bought a new (2019) vehicle more than a week ago, so it is beyond the legal time during which it can be returned.
Well, to maybe help you feel better, the instant you sign the purchase/sale agreement and provide the payment, you own the car. Legally, if there isn't some lemon law reason to return it, the is no cool off period where you can return it. There are certain dealers (like Car Max) who have a policy allowing return of a car for some period of time, typically allowing the price paid to be applied to another car purchase...not a refund. It's common urban myth that you have some amount of time where you can, by law return a car and get your money back for no reason. There isn't.

That said, look into a custom seat. I don't know where you live. Near me (Boston) is HMS Motorsports, where many aftermarket seats are displayed which you could certainly sit in. I believe they would be able to install as well, but don't remember if they still do that kind of thing or not. I'm sure there are other shops like this.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:58 pm

There are several things (at least) to address: titling, registration (did you get plates), taxes, and insurance.

I would imagine most states are like Virginia. It is a class 3 misdemeanor to sell a vehicle without a title. There are two exceptions which don't apply here. You are most likely not alone. Pack a picnic lunch and visit your DMV to see what to do. It might take up to 30 days for the title to be processed by DMV. You paid sales tax to the state which is listed on the title (I think); can the dealer even back that out? Don't forget that the purchase is also reported to your local taxing authority for personal property taxes and perhaps registration depending on your state. Did you get plates? That means if the plates are taken off, that's reported. Was your insurance company notified? The wheels are in motion, no pun intended, and it might be better to let it all clear out and sell it as used.

Due to various types of fraud, vehicles are looked at as different than other purchases like a TV.

§ 46.2-617

Sale of vehicle without certificate of title

Except as provided in §§ 46.2-644.03 and 58.1-3942, any person who sells, trades, exchanges, or barters a motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer in the Commonwealth without first having secured a certificate of title for it or without legally having in his possession a certificate of title for the vehicle issued to its owner, except as otherwise provided in this title, shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

azanon

Post by azanon » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:11 pm

I don't have any actual tips to help with the specific situation other than to say don't be too hard on yourself. If not already, you'll eventually get far enough along in your savings and investments that you'll sometimes lose more making a trade on Tuesday instead of Wednesday that you lost on the spread of that car purchased new, vs. what you could get for selling it as is. From my POV, the "hit" from that situation would just be the hassle of selling the car and getting what I really wanted, rather than the money lost.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:30 pm

Just for giggles, I went to Carvana inputting 2019 Subaru Forester Limited, white, with 1,000 miles, no other options. Their purchase offer was $27,554 in the Chicago suburbs. Obviously, you would take a hit.

azanon

Post by azanon » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:54 pm

Also, depending on how you look at it, you actually take the hit even if you keep it. The hit occurred when you purchased it, not when you decided it wasn't the right car for you. Just a thought.

Post by 123 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:59 pm

It is a lot easier and cheaper to get ride of a car you don't like than a spouse or house that you don't like. A minor irritation in the scope of life.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:11 pm

Why dont you want the car?

I'm assuming you researched and settled on it for a reason.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:38 pm

Nowizard wrote:
I know something must be done quickly if the best decision involves not titling the vehicle.
I'm not sure why something has to be done quickly. You have to wait for the title and once you have it, then you can trade it in on another vehicle. Since we are currently in the model year, really only miles on the odometer will effect the resale value after the hit of driving it off the lot, not days or weeks gone by. My friend in the car sales business says this happens more than one would think.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:17 pm

I know all states are different, but in my state (MA), the dealer would send the manufacturer'es certificate of origin to the Mass RMV. The new owner would fill out the section to apply for title. The state then creates the new title and sends it to the new owner. Brand new cars don't have a title until the first owner titles it. It comes with a Manufacturers Certificate of Origin. You usually would never see one of these. I've only had one, when buying a car kit. I handed it over to the Mass RMV when I first applied for title.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

squirm

Post by squirm » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:36 pm

Sell it to a private party to minimize your loss and use it as a lesson learned.
Or
Keep driving it and it will probably grow on you.

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:38 pm

I'm in a similar boat. I bought a brand new Mercedes (my first Mercedes - likely my last) in April and almost immediately realized I didn't "love" the car, at least not enough to warrant a big new shiny upgrade. I've thought almost daily about trading it in since then, though now I've put about 1200 miles on it. I know that a lot of dealerships market cars with less than 1500 miles as "new" so I feel like that's some kind of deadline, but it's also arbitrary.

If/when I trade it in, I'll just get a slightly used version of whatever I like (missing my old volvo TBH - or a newer version of my old Volvo, to be more specific). I don't actually care about having a brand new car. I bought it because I got a great deal, negotiated by a car fanatic friend of mine. I was about to pull the trigger on a slightly used version with 5500 miles for the same price, minus a couple of features. The only reason I haven't done it yet is that the 2018 Volvo XC60s even with 25-35k miles are going for several thousand more than I paid for this brand spanking new 2019 Mercedes GLC 300. And while I like their look from the outside and the way they drive a lot better, they aren't nearly as nice/luxurious feeling on the inside. So it seems silly to pay more for what is on paper (and somewhat on the inside) a downgrade. Ugh, I kind of hate buying and owning cars.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:29 am

I felt the same way after buying my 2015 accord, was brand new. Hated the seats after about a week and experienced constant pain.

Modifications:
- Figured out that I enjoy a rather upright seating posture, much like my truck. I was able to raise the seat to the max and also tilt the seat in order to gain some lumbar support. This helped a lot! Experiment with it.
- Removed most of the foam under the big foot rest on the left side of the driver's area. It was probably 8" thick, now only 2" thick. I had to remove the carpeting and cut the foam block. (I have no idea why they include this 'feature', never seen anything like it.)
- Bent the bars on the headrest to make it stick up straight. My wife's Volvo comes like this from the factory, on the Honda the headrest tilts forward and sticks into your head. Bad design! Euro vehicles have excellent seat design across the board.

We learned our lesson: the short dealer test drives are worthless. When buying my wife's Volvo XC90 we borrowed the vehicle overnight and were able to pretend we already had it. Good dealers offer this kind of service even without asking but expect a mileage limit if the vehicle is new.

HeadHunter

Post by HeadHunter » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:14 am

I bought a Toyota Highlander Limited brand new and within 2 days realized it was a giant mistake. Seats were uncomfortable for anything over a 10 minute drive and in general it felt like a cheap tin can. Traded it on another Mercedes (the brand I had been with for 3 prior vehicles). Took about a $5k hit, money well spent.

Topic Author
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:42 am

Thank you to everyone who has responded. This may be more common than I realized, and it is definitely an issue that will be resolved. As I have said to some of you, it is nice to know others have made similar errors, though I would not wish it on anyone. The support is just another tribute to this forum. If you read the responses, there is not a single one that is even mildly confrontative about buying a new car, not properly vetting it, etc. There are not many places on the Internet where that occurs! :D

Tim

Hulu

Post by Hulu » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:56 am

Buyer’s remorse can be so strong with something that costs tens of thousands that you see every day. Had a serious case of it but figured selling then buying another car wasn’t worth it. I started thinking of things I loved about the car and eventually those thoughts gave me a better experience. That and accepting that I’m still learning. Good luck, Subaru’s are popular for many good reasons!

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:11 pm

Meg77 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:38 pm
I'm in a similar boat. I bought a brand new Mercedes (my first Mercedes - likely my last) in April and almost immediately realized I didn't "love" the car, at least not enough to warrant a big new shiny upgrade. I've thought almost daily about trading it in since then, though now I've put about 1200 miles on it. I know that a lot of dealerships market cars with less than 1500 miles as "new" so I feel like that's some kind of deadline, but it's also arbitrary.

If/when I trade it in, I'll just get a slightly used version of whatever I like (missing my old volvo TBH - or a newer version of my old Volvo, to be more specific). I don't actually care about having a brand new car. I bought it because I got a great deal, negotiated by a car fanatic friend of mine. I was about to pull the trigger on a slightly used version with 5500 miles for the same price, minus a couple of features. The only reason I haven't done it yet is that the 2018 Volvo XC60s even with 25-35k miles are going for several thousand more than I paid for this brand spanking new 2019 Mercedes GLC 300. And while I like their look from the outside and the way they drive a lot better, they aren't nearly as nice/luxurious feeling on the inside. So it seems silly to pay more for what is on paper (and somewhat on the inside) a downgrade. Ugh, I kind of hate buying and owning cars.
Wow, I'm sorry to hear this. I remember trying to help you. I don't believe that a 2018 CPO XC60 is a downgrade. In fact, it's an upgrade in engine horsepower (250hp for Volvo, 241hp for MB), unless you in an AMG. Smaller turning radius, bigger fuel tank, better seats, more legroom, more cargo. The XC60 front end is way better looking than GLC300 IMHO. You must have one sweet deal on the MB, because around here, the CPO's are a great deal.

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:44 pm

RootSki wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:11 pm
Meg77 wrote:

Wow, I'm sorry to hear this. I remember trying to help you. I don't believe that a 2018 CPO XC60 is a downgrade. In fact, it's an upgrade in engine horsepower (250hp for Volvo, 241hp for MB), unless you in an AMG. Smaller turning radius, bigger fuel tank, better seats, more legroom, more cargo. The XC60 front end is way better looking than GLC300 IMHO. You must have one sweet deal on the MB, because around here, the CPO's are a great deal.
Thanks, no worries the GLC is a great automobile. I can hardly justify complaining! Especially as I drive only a few miles a day so it really doesn't move the needle of my life much anyway. But yes by comparison I do feel a bit like I'm driving a boat sometimes; I'm sure it's partly the wider turning radius. And I notice the shifting of gears more and a somewhat "clunky" occasional feeling with the engine. I've put my car into neutral while driving more than once since the placement of my former windshield wipers is now the gear shift on the steering wheel (not the car's fault of course, but there's a learning curve after driving another model for years on end). And the apple car play is finicky and regularly fails to read my texts properly - and I've had to have it in the shop already to fix the carplay when it totally went on the fritz. My tire pressure also got way out of whack and all four tires needed air last week suddenly. None of these are major issues of course, but with a brand new car it's annoying to have any issues.

And weirdly, it kind of bugs me how ubiquitous white SUVs are (my new ride is white). I didn't realize it until I had one of course, but now I regularly walk up to the wrong white SUV in parking lots. And not just other Mercedes (though there are plenty of those), but Audis and Mazdas, etc. My old Volvo was a distinctive bronze color that made it easy to spot.

I need to do some more thinking on it. I like the look and have had a small SUV for over 7 years now, but rarely is anyone else in my car. The cargo space was useful when we used to drive cross country for holidays and family visits (where hauling 2 dogs + golf clubs came in handy), but we almost always fly now so I honestly don't even need the cargo space except to haul plants from the nursery a few times a year (and I could just pay for delivery). I could make do with a sedan which would be a lot cheaper.

But yes I did get a good deal on the Mercedes. Just over $42K all in, including our relatively high sales tax. The 2019 new Volvo XC60s by comparison seem to all be listed in the low to mid $50Ks (of course the list price on the Mercedes was more like $47.5K, so not an apples to apples comparison). Even the 2018 models - when you can find them - with are low-mid $40Ks and have what would for me be 3 years worth of miles on them already. Which honestly I don't really mind; at some point when there is more inventory and I can do a fairly even trade, I'll probably switch back to Volvo.

This is probably the most first world "problem" I have ever verbalized...
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:20 pm

Meg77 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:44 pm
RootSki wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:11 pm
Meg77 wrote:

Thanks, no worries the GLC is a great automobile. I can hardly justify complaining! Especially as I drive only a few miles a day so it really doesn't move the needle of my life much anyway. But yes by comparison I do feel a bit like I'm driving a boat sometimes; I'm sure it's partly the wider turning radius. And I notice the shifting of gears more and a somewhat "clunky" occasional feeling with the engine. I've put my car into neutral while driving more than once since the placement of my former windshield wipers is now the gear shift on the steering wheel (not the car's fault of course, but there's a learning curve after driving another model for years on end). And the apple car play is finicky and regularly fails to read my texts properly - and I've had to have it in the shop already to fix the carplay when it totally went on the fritz. My tire pressure also got way out of whack and all four tires needed air last week suddenly. None of these are major issues of course, but with a brand new car it's annoying to have any issues.

And weirdly, it kind of bugs me how ubiquitous white SUVs are (my new ride is white). I didn't realize it until I had one of course, but now I regularly walk up to the wrong white SUV in parking lots. And not just other Mercedes (though there are plenty of those), but Audis and Mazdas, etc. My old Volvo was a distinctive bronze color that made it easy to spot.

I need to do some more thinking on it. I like the look and have had a small SUV for over 7 years now, but rarely is anyone else in my car. The cargo space was useful when we used to drive cross country for holidays and family visits (where hauling 2 dogs + golf clubs came in handy), but we almost always fly now so I honestly don't even need the cargo space except to haul plants from the nursery a few times a year (and I could just pay for delivery). I could make do with a sedan which would be a lot cheaper.

But yes I did get a good deal on the Mercedes. Just over $42K all in, including our relatively high sales tax. The 2019 new Volvo XC60s by comparison seem to all be listed in the low to mid $50Ks (of course the list price on the Mercedes was more like $47.5K, so not an apples to apples comparison). Even the 2018 models - when you can find them - with are low-mid $40Ks and have what would for me be 3 years worth of miles on them already. Which honestly I don't really mind; at some point when there is more inventory and I can do a fairly even trade, I'll probably switch back to Volvo.

This is probably the most first world "problem" I have ever verbalized...
Use this link to search multiple dealers. I used a 500 mile search radius and found a loaded 2019 T8 for $55.5K 260 miles away, that only had 2900 miles.

https://cpo.volvocars.us/enus/vehicle-search

BobTexas

Post by BobTexas » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:38 am

Did you try talking to the dealer you bought it from? That might be your best bet

AuctionRep50

Post by AuctionRep50 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:13 am

squirm wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:36 pm
Sell it to a private party to minimize your loss and use it as a lesson learned.
Or
Keep driving it and it will probably grow on you.
Among all replies that I have read, these two comments make the most sense to me.

I have worked my entire 40+ year career in auto retail, wholesale, and auto auction environments... I've encountered many customer remorse stories.
I believe you now own this car, and you'll need to be objective about your options.

You will minimize your loss if you study the retail market for this model (used) and price it fairly. Check with Car Max, several Subaru dealers, and the area's best used car sellers for top wholesale pricing/offers. Price it above your top offer, but less than common discounts available from the new Subaru stores. Given this model's popularity and limited availability, you should find qualified prospects. They will be buying a nearly new car with balance of factory warranty.

Don't rush.. As Squirm suggested, you may come to like the car if you drive it a while longer. It's really a nice car.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:16 am

You own this car. Now it's about selling it with a minimum loss.

See if the dealer you bought it from will buy it back from you at an acceptable loss as a courtesy. They will be able to sell it themselves for a good price. My guess is they will not do you any favors and will make you an unacceptable offer. So then sell it to a private party.

I don't like to trade-in vehicles because it complicates the deal, and you are already at a disadvantage dealing with professional salespeople. If you insist on a high trade-in value you'll get it, but then you'll find the sales price of the other car will not move as much. If you sell it, you know what you got for it.

Topic Author
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:46 am

Those who have commented about talking to the dealer and/or selling the vehicle myself have good points that are and have been considered. The same folks who so assiduously attended to the pre-sale issues have not responded at all to email and phone calls, so their fervent "suggestion" of giving them "10's" when the survey from Subaru comes is in danger. The issue with selling it myself has to be considered with another factor. When buying a replacement car without a trade, the registration sales tax is based on the net amount of the sale in our state. The difference in this case would be $26,000, the amount of the trade for the 4-Runner. In our state, the sales tax is .075% which is $1,950. That would have to be figured into a private sale along with the effort in order to make a private sale preferable to a trade. By the way, current inquiries for a CRV have resulted in two offers, one $1,600 better than the other. It represents a total loss of just under $3,000 for my "lesson." We are still in negotiation, and the amount may change. I am comparing the combined offer for the vehicle, plus the trade to KBB's stats for sales and trade ins of comparable vehicles to aid in determining pricing.

Tim

bovineplane

Post by bovineplane » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:35 am

whodidntante wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:16 am
I don't like to trade-in vehicles because it complicates the deal, and you are already at a disadvantage dealing with professional salespeople. If you insist on a high trade-in value you'll get it, but then you'll find the sales price of the other car will not move as much. If you sell it, you know what you got for it.
Each state is different. In Texas if you sell private party or to Carmax you lose the tax benefit of the trade in. For example, If you buy a car for $30k and trade in a vehicle for $10k you pay tax on $20k at 6.25%. The tax savings can be substantial on higher priced vehicles. This should be considered.

For trade-in, I get a quote from Carmax first. Negotiate purchase price via phone/internet. Then show up at dealer when price is set. Bring up trade in. If the offer is low, Ill show the carmax offer and ask to match/beat it. If they cant, compare the tax savings from the private party sale vs trade-in offer.

Other states this may not be an issue but saving 6.25% in tax on the trade in can be substantial. In this case on a ~$30k vehicle that could be $1875 in sales tax savings.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:15 am

bovineplane wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:35 am
whodidntante wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:16 am
Each state is different. In Texas if you sell private party or to Carmax you lose the tax benefit of the trade in. For example, If you buy a car for $30k and trade in a vehicle for $10k you pay tax on $20k at 6.25%. The tax savings can be substantial on higher priced vehicles. This should be considered.

For trade-in, I get a quote from Carmax first. Negotiate purchase price via phone/internet. Then show up at dealer when price is set. Bring up trade in. If the offer is low, Ill show the carmax offer and ask to match/beat it. If they cant, compare the tax savings from the private party sale vs trade-in offer.

Other states this may not be an issue but saving 6.25% in tax on the trade in can be substantial. In this case on a ~$30k vehicle that could be $1875 in sales tax savings.
Indeed, I forgot about that! While it's easy to tell OP to just sell the car and move on with life I think trading it in would definitely be the easiest approach. With the tax advantage the "loss" is certainly reduced.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:49 am

So you are going to a CRV? This surprises me. Being unhappy going from from a 4 Runner to an Outback, not too surprising given the change of vehicle type. But are you sure you will be happier with a CRV which is even further away from the 4 Runner? Could you be talking yourself into a car like small CUV?

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:56 am

Count me as another that had buyer's remorse over buying a car. This has been over a period of many years, but I bought two cars at Carmax and then realized I made a mistake and returned both of them. Bought a Saab and owned for a couple days and returned it for an Acura TL that I drove for over 10 years. Then traded in the Acura for an Infiniti coupe and realized that was a huge mistake and returned the very next day. I'm 6'5 and the Infiniti was way too small for me.

Now I drive a 2015 Subaru Forester I bought several years ago and love it without single issue with it. One of the biggest selling points for me personally was the Forester has amazing headroom (huge deal when 6'5) without having to drive a massively large vehicle which is important living in a city where parking can be tight.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:31 pm

Nowizard wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:46 am
By the way, current inquiries for a CRV have resulted in two offers, one $1,600 better than the other. It represents a total loss of just under $3,000 for my "lesson." We are still in negotiation, and the amount may change. I am comparing the combined offer for the vehicle, plus the trade to KBB's stats for sales and trade ins of comparable vehicles to aid in determining pricing.
As I noted in the other discussion, while I did not notice a knee issue on any of the dozen or more vehicles we test drove (or the one we bought), I recalled seeing comments about right knee space in many reviews on consumerreports.org. Out of curiosity, I took a look at their CRV review. Under "Driving position", they say: ...In general there's plenty of space, but the center console can bump against the driver's right knee at times...

They make a similar comment about the Forester: Drivers of almost all sizes will find that the center console intrudes on right knee space.

And also about the vehicle that we bought, Santa Fe: ...but the center console intrudes with the driver’s right knee and the material at that spot provides barely any cushioning.

I can't stop...

Rav4: most drivers found that the plastic center console restricts right knee room.

Escape: ...a wide center console that cuts into right knee space...

Rogue: Some also felt that the center console intruded a bit around the throttle pedal.

CX-5: The center console is also quite wide, and rimmed with hard plastic, causing near-constant right knee interference.

Tiguan: Other than some center console intrusion on the driver's right knee.

Oh, the Equinox almost frees the knee: Since the hard center console isn't very wide, it only rubs against the driver's right knee slightly...

Eureka, GMC Terrain appears to be the winner: The slim center console leaves a comfortable amount of driver's right knee space.

:)
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:01 pm

Nowizard wrote:
Though have posted elsewhere on the site in a manner that would identify the vehicle, I am not trashing it as a vehicle, just stating it is not right for me.
Bought a new (2019) vehicle more than a week ago, so it is beyond the legal time during which it can be returned. Was purchased with a trade-in for OTD price of $6,500. The material needed for titling has not arrived, and it is untitled. What options exist if I decide I do not want to keep this vehicle? It has no lien.
1. Should it be sold before titling?
2. Should it be traded in on another vehicle prior to titling? This would be to another dealer since there are no other models of this make desired. If not traded, there would be sales tax on the purchase total of another vehicle (Trade-in on this one between 25-30K. Sales tax in our area is .0925%, substantial).
3. Are there other suggestions on how to minimize the "loss" from what is appearing to have been a stupid decision? I know something must be done quickly if the best decision involves not titling the vehicle.

Tim :oops:
The fact that you did not like it after buying it can happen. Life is short, if losing the $$ doesn't cause too much pain, go for what you want. Best of luck.

Dave

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:48 pm

Ride a bike for several weeks. You'll quickly realize cars are all the same and find car ads hilarious
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

msi

Post by msi » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:57 am

Nowizard wrote:
Those who have commented about talking to the dealer and/or selling the vehicle myself have good points that are and have been considered. The same folks who so assiduously attended to the pre-sale issues have not responded at all to email and phone calls, so their fervent "suggestion" of giving them "10's" when the survey from Subaru comes is in danger. The issue with selling it myself has to be considered with another factor. When buying a replacement car without a trade, the registration sales tax is based on the net amount of the sale in our state. The difference in this case would be $26,000, the amount of the trade for the 4-Runner. In our state, the sales tax is .075% which is $1,950. That would have to be figured into a private sale along with the effort in order to make a private sale preferable to a trade. By the way, current inquiries for a CRV have resulted in two offers, one $1,600 better than the other. It represents a total loss of just under $3,000 for my "lesson." We are still in negotiation, and the amount may change. I am comparing the combined offer for the vehicle, plus the trade to KBB's stats for sales and trade ins of comparable vehicles to aid in determining pricing.

Tim
Just be aware of the CR-V oil dilution issue on the 1.5 liter turbo engine. Might want to consider a RAV4, CX-5, or the 2020 CR-V Hybrid if you can wait for it.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:36 am

My coworker bought a VW Tiguan that she wasn't happy with it because it hurt her back on her commute. The dealer sold VW and Mercedes. They happily swapped her a more expensive vehicle. She drove away with a Mercedes GLA.

I went over the numbers with her and unless there is something we missed, it looked to be about $1000 extra that she was charged for the swap which on a $30k - $40k vehicles is was worth it to my coworker. Her previous Lexus RX300 was 19 years old I recall so that is a long time to suffer a vehicle you don't like.

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:55 am

Cycle wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:48 pm
Ride a bike for several weeks. You'll quickly realize cars are all the same and find car ads hilarious
Keep it up, cyclists are slowly passing vegans and crossfitters for the most universally hated lifestyle groups. :oops:

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:24 am

jeffyscott wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:31 pm
Nowizard wrote:
By the way, current inquiries for a CRV have resulted in two offers, one $1,600 better than the other. It represents a total loss of just under $3,000 for my "lesson." We are still in negotiation, and the amount may change. I am comparing the combined offer for the vehicle, plus the trade to KBB's stats for sales and trade ins of comparable vehicles to aid in determining pricing.
As I noted in the other discussion, while I did not notice a knee issue on any of the dozen or more vehicles we test drove (or the one we bought), I recalled seeing comments about right knee space in many reviews on consumerreports.org. Out of curiosity, I took a look at their CRV review. Under "Driving position", they say: ...In general there's plenty of space, but the center console can bump against the driver's right knee at times...

They make a similar comment about the Forester: Drivers of almost all sizes will find that the center console intrudes on right knee space.

And also about the vehicle that we bought, Santa Fe: ...but the center console intrudes with the driver’s right knee and the material at that spot provides barely any cushioning.

I can't stop...

Rav4: most drivers found that the plastic center console restricts right knee room.

Escape: ...a wide center console that cuts into right knee space...

Rogue: Some also felt that the center console intruded a bit around the throttle pedal.

CX-5: The center console is also quite wide, and rimmed with hard plastic, causing near-constant right knee interference.

Tiguan: Other than some center console intrusion on the driver's right knee.

Oh, the Equinox almost frees the knee: Since the hard center console isn't very wide, it only rubs against the driver's right knee slightly...

Eureka, GMC Terrain appears to be the winner: The slim center console leaves a comfortable amount of driver's right knee space.

:)
The needlessly intrusive center consoles used in almost every modern car are also a peeve of mine. Although I am not small, nor do I enjoy small spaces. I'm not a cat. Automotive journalists convinced the world that if a car doesn't ride and feel like a European sports sedan, it is poor quality. And that enjoying a roomy car with a comfortable ride and low feedback is a sign of stupidity. So we all sit in stiff, bolstered seats, in cars with taught suspensions, intrusive center consoles, low assist steering, feeling every bump and groove, and needlessly low profile tires on a car so weak that it can barely get out of its own way.

When I go back to my hooptie roots after I break or track crash the scandalously expensive car I currently abuse, I'll probably pick something that predates the European sports sedan interior. You need to go back pretty far to accomplish that, but I've daily driven some really old cars before.