Volunteer opportunities for a traveler?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PoppyA

Volunteer opportunities for a traveler?

Post by PoppyA »

Hello friends!

At this point in my life, I thought I would have an opportunity to help others in my community. Specifically I saw myself helping the elderly with their transportation needs, being with those dying alone, or giving back at my church.

Because I travel a lot, I have not been able to volunteer. Anyone have an idea for a traveler who wants to volunteer in the community?
RetiredInTheWest

Re: Volunteer opportunities for a traveler?

Post by RetiredInTheWest »

I had the same issue! I found some flexible volunteer opportunities that had independent hours. First was collecting research data for a local government (go out on my own when I'm in town). Second was to do income taxes for lower income folks. For doing taxes they allowed me to set my schedule ahead of time so it was fine to miss some weeks during the spring.
Topic Author
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Thank you.
Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon »

Special Olympics is always in need of 'day of' volunteers for their games/events during the year. They have County/Area/State Games for the sports offered. Easy to sign up and drop in to help for 3-4hr shift. They always offer training at beginning of your shift, for example I was Scorer this past winter while I was in Florida for Skills Based Basketball competition, I did not know anything about Skills Based Basketball. At the State games in MN this past June, there were 2500 Athletes and 2100 Volunteers.

Also, look for volunteer opps's during any/all of your travel destinations, I've volunteered in Ireland, Northern Ireland and the UK. It's a great way to connect a bit more with local community and get a great connection to an area you already had an interest in.

Everyone needs volunteers -even the local 5k races in your area, find things/causes important to you and look up events during times you will be available. And it's a bit BH,ish since you usually get food and clothing (tshirt) for your help.