Used Tesla S or new Tesla 3?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BuckyBadger

Used Tesla S or new Tesla 3?

Post by BuckyBadger » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:49 pm

Let's just assume I'm getting a Tesla and this thread isn't here to talk me into or out of it.

I can get a base model new Tesla 3 for about 40k. Regular range, regular interior. Might consider the upgraded white interior for 1k but might not. Regular autopilot, but not the extra 6k for the fancy driving thingy.

It looks like I can get a used S for about 45 to 50. Seem to be mostly 2016s with under 40k miles on them. Not completely sure what all they come with.

Now, I drove a 3 and it was glorious, so I'm inclined to go with that. Cheaper and newer. But not sure if I'm really missing out on something with not going for the S.

40k is more than we've ever spent on a car, but we can afford it. 50k we could afford, but it's a little harder to swallow. (39 years old, 340k yearly combined salary, 1.2M retirement portfolio, putting about 90k per year into that portfolio, under bought house, etc.) So we could afford them, but we also don't want to waste our money

So those of you who have a Tesla - what do you suggest?
Last edited by BuckyBadger on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack FFR1846

Re: Used Tesla S or new Tesla 3?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:59 pm

3 is much smaller and has a lot of updates, improvements but has very different styling cues inside and out that you may or may not care about. Personally, I think the 3 looks like a $15k car outside and I think the interior center laptop screen is silly. The S is much nicer, exterior design wise. Again, my opinion. It's much larger so I would expect it'll ride much better.

If you get the used one, look into an extended warranty from Tesla which can be extremely expensive. Everything on a Tesla is expensive to fix. You don't do oil changes, but in my gas burning Wrangler, I don't have to replace at least 1 $800 door handle a year and if I did have to replace the handle, I could go to the junkyard, the dealer or Rock Auto and pay under $50 for one.

I don't own a Tesla.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

entropy2017

Post by entropy2017 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:03 pm

Personally, I would go for the model 3. I bought a dual motor version this summer and we love it. I have also driven a family member’s S dual motor 75kW extensively (for months). They are very different cars.

The 3 is more nimble and easier to drive for us. It has great road visibility. Before buying it I thought it might be too small but it has been plenty of space for us and fits five comfortably. Great for every day driving. One of the best purchases we have made. I was on the fence for a long time as this was the first luxury car purchase for us and we generally do not spend like this otherwise (modest house, etc.). Safety was a big factor and it is reassuring to know my family is riding in one of the safest cars on the road.

The S is also a very nice car. It is more spacious and drives like a bigger car. May be better for touring and road trips.

I would think about the technology too. You would probably be getting all the latest tech with the 3. Not sure with the S, it would depend which “version” you are buying.

Good luck! Where I live, model 3s are now everywhere.

Topic Author
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:07 pm

Our other car is a 3 row behemoth, so something smaller would be great. And it still looks like one rear facing convertible car seat should be no problem in the 3. The S might actually be TOO big considering the above responses.

Thanks for the information!!

entropy2017

Post by entropy2017 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:09 pm

One additional thought. For such a big purchase and if the decision is really S vs 3, I would suggest finding a way to test drive both at dealer or some other way if you haven’t already. They drive very differently and you may prefer one over the other depending on your needs and driving style.

Visually, it is a personal preference.

WanderingPothos

Post by WanderingPothos » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:16 pm

My SO bought a used S (2014, no auto-pilot) and then he balked at the trade-in value when he was purchasing his 3 last year and ended up keeping it, so now I drive it. It is definitely roomier like other person mentioned, but in terms of miles for long-distance travel, the 3 holds more miles. Might depend on the year, I can only charge the S up to around 270ish and he can get over 300 miles, I think.

Anyways, I'm not the Tesla guru in this household, but I do know that he's repeatedly mentioned not understanding why anyone would buy an S anymore since he's not sure what lux features or perks would set it apart from the 3 currently, given the difference in price point. He loves his 3 and would sell the S if I weren't driving it.

Afty

Post by Afty » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:17 pm

I would (and did) go with the Model 3. The 3 is a newer car and has a lot of technology that a used S doesn’t. Newer Autopilot computer, more efficient motors, door pockets (lol). The 3, being smaller, is also more fun to drive.

In CA a used EV won’t get you in the carpool lane; it can’t have been registered in CA before. So that’s another consideration if you happen to live in CA.

WanderingPothos

Post by WanderingPothos » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:20 pm

Oh, by the way, he does have the fancy autopilot upgrade thingy so that may also be another reason why he loves it, so our experiences may not be comparable to what you are looking at!

investor997

Post by investor997 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:23 pm

I'd spend the ~$50k and get a LR AWD Model 3. You'll never have range anxiety.

I've not driven a Model S but I've heard from others that it's a much different driving experience than the 3. Supposedly not nearly as fun to drive due to the additional size and weight. The only way for you to know for certain is to test drive one.

Disclaimer: I'm a happy Model 3 owner.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:27 pm

What year is the S? Tesla might have nerfed the battery and installed chargegate, which results in lower battery capacity and slower charging.

lws

Post by lws » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:45 pm

Get the 3 and enjoy.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:56 pm

If you were serious about the S, I would drive it to a supercharger and note the supercharger speed at various SOC. Also take a picture of the battery sticker and note the pack version, capacity and voltage. I would charge to 100% and note the range at 100%. this would be a good way to determine if Tesla has nerfed the battery. If Tesla has nerfed it, I would devalue the car as there is a serious problem with that battery that Tesla has had to cap it. You can also pull the bus data and determine how much DC charging Kwh has been done as Telsa limits DC charging speeds starting at 2625kWh and increases the derating to a maximum at 15,635kWh.

From my understanding, the Model 3 is not impacted by Chargegate or Batterygate.
Last edited by squirm on Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:20 pm

BuckyBadger wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:49 pm
Let's just assume I'm getting a Tesla and this thread isn't here to talk me into or out of it.

I can get a base model new Tesla 3 for about 40k. Regular range, regular interior. Might consider the upgraded white interior for 1k but might not. Regular autopilot, but not the extra 6k for the fancy driving thingy.

It looks like I can get a used S for about 45 to 50. Seem to be mostly 2016s with under 40k miles on them. Not completely sure what all they come with.

Now, I drove a 3 and it was glorious, so I'm inclined to go with that. Cheaper and newer. But not sure if I'm really missing out on something with not going for the S.

40k is more than we've ever spent on a car, but we can afford it. 50k we could afford, but it's a little harder to swallow. (39 years old, 340k yearly combined salary, 1.2k retirement portfolio, putting about 90k per year into that portfolio, under bought house, etc.) So we could afford them, but we also don't want to waste our money

I didn't see any particular requirements where you would need or want the used S over the new 3. So, I say get the the 3. The 3 is newer tech and less expensive than a new S.

I will share that once I've had the 3, I am completely spoiled. The whole experience just blends together from UI to road handling. Other car companies have simply not figured it out.

My humble opinion is that if you are going to buy new, go ahead and splurge on the extra NAV features on the 3. You can afford it. And you will be pleasantly surprised as new features keep coming out for you. I can tell that you take pride in your ability to "live below your means" and that is incredibly important and to be respected and commended. But if you are going to do the Tesla thing, suggest you just go for it.

I bought the Long Range AWD and black interior, but I bought when the extra NAV was included in the EAP line item. Its pretty awesome tech. I love roadtripping with this car. It has more range than I need other than that.

The *only* thing I would tell a fellow bogleheader is to consider if you want to wait 6-9 mo for the Model Y. I also might say that a mid Feb or early March order might get you a better discount, only because the auto industry is cyclical and there is a bit of a pause after the end-of-year rush. BUT, then you miss all the holiday road tripping. If you plan to drive for Thanksgiving or Christmas or New Years, then I would go ahead and order now and enjoy it.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:27 pm

I am 6'3" and cannot sit upright in the rear seat of the S, in the 3, no problem. The S is wider but not being able to put a tallish person in the rear was decisive.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

mgensler

Post by mgensler » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:38 pm

I have a 2015 S dual motor 75 built in December. So, almost a 2016. It will be 4 years old in a few months with around 25k miles. It's been a great car. I've only replaced the wiper blades and one tire due to a screw in the road. Otherwise, it's never had any service. We had a 2013 S which had a few issues and currently have a 2016 X that has had a few issues as well. Nothing major, all 3rd party components but the current S has been the best. I'd highly recommend a 2016 S if you found a good price.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:31 pm

I feel like someone should suggest a Toyota. :twisted:

njdealguy

Post by njdealguy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:50 pm

BuckyBadger wrote:

40k is more than we've ever spent on a car, but we can afford it. 50k we could afford, but it's a little harder to swallow. (39 years old, 340k yearly combined salary, 1.2k retirement portfolio, putting about 90k per year into that portfolio, under bought house, etc.) So we could afford them, but we also don't want to waste our money

Did you say your retirement portfolio is 1.2k, as in $1200?

sambb

Post by sambb » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:53 pm

Would avoid the 3 due to lack of available parts and build quality. S seems to be the way to go.

Topic Author
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:21 pm

njdealguy wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:50 pm
BuckyBadger wrote:

Did you say your retirement portfolio is 1.2k, as in $1200?
Whoops! Sorry, no. 1.2M. Got used to writing the k's!

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:29 am

Get the 3.

We love the car!

harikaried

Post by harikaried » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:31 pm

BuckyBadger wrote:
I drove a 3 and it was glorious, so I'm inclined to go with that. Cheaper and newer. But not sure if I'm really missing out on something with not going for the S.
We don't have a S, but in general, the 3 is newer and is Tesla's main focus right now as they make way more Model 3s than other models. The incoming Model Y will mostly match the interior design pattern set by the Model 3, so future software updates and improvements will likely focus on the landscape display, e.g., the incoming "version 10" update has full screen videos for Netflix, Youtube, etc. optimized for Model 3/Y's center display.

As others have indirectly pointed out, the Model 3 has the more recent battery hardware, so theoretically it improves on the learnings from battery technology used in the Model S potentially leading to better charge rates, longevity, lower risk of problems, etc. Similarly, a new Model 3 will have the new "Full Self Driving" computer that even if you don't want the FSD software, going forwards, Tesla is probably going to focus on improvements related to the new hardware than whatever is in the 2016 Model S.

Basically, Tesla seems to be continuously improving its hardware and software while likely prioritizing based on the potential number of owners seeing the benefit, so the newest Model 3 will be more future-proof than a Model S from a few years ago. But if you care about the larger size of the S and different interior and other spec differences, then that might favor the S instead.

Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:42 pm

If you are deciding between these two I would ask how big of a car do you need/want?

The model S is a full size boat of a car. It has amazing performance, but a lot of Tesla forum members traded it in for the 3 because they just didn't need such a large vehicle.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:27 pm

FoolStreet wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:20 pm

The *only* thing I would tell a fellow bogleheader is to consider if you want to wait 6-9 mo for the Model Y. I also might say that a mid Feb or early March order might get you a better discount, only because the auto industry is cyclical and there is a bit of a pause after the end-of-year rush. BUT, then you miss all the holiday road tripping. If you plan to drive for Thanksgiving or Christmas or New Years, then I would go ahead and order now and enjoy it.
You misspelled 12-24 months:). Seriously late 2020 for Tesla means shipping like 20 cars on Dec 31st and production ramping up over the next year. I would not hazard a guess of what the Mid 2021 EV market will look like given the huge number of cars set to come out over the next 18 months from pretty much everyone.

Those 2016 Teslas pretty much all have the old autopilot and will never be upgraded to the various self driving stuff. If, you plan on driving this car for 10-15 years, that might be something to think about.

Please though spring the extra 1k and get a color other than the default. I am so tired of seeing white and black ones. If your feeling really generous get the decent looking wheels. Both choices are a better use of your money than the interior package from where I am sitting:)

ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:35 pm

I like the look of all the Teslas but I think the Model 3 is the best looking, I also agree with paying more for a rarer exterior color (red actually). :sharebeer

gougou

Post by gougou » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:07 pm

Model S, bigger car, roomy interior.

Model 3, newer, longer range, more miles/kWh.

I drive a model S 75 RWD with FSD. I really want more range. Navigate on Autopilot is very useful since my commute is mostly highway. I didn't buy the autopilot or FSD initially but got both when they were on sale for $5k total.

I suggest you get the model 3 LR for the 300+ miles range.

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:39 pm

As someone noted above the state of residence (HOV in Ca. etc) can make a difference in the choice due to incentives.

Topic Author
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:32 pm

We've decided to go with the new 3, but will do in in a month or so after I've extricated myself from a particularly expensive hobby! Seemed a reasonable request from my husband.

Aiming to get it in before the end of the year, though, to keep the last remnants of the federal rebate.

Will do the base with the 240 mile range with the white paint and black wheels which are included and are also my favorite of the options. Will probably stick with the black interior and splurge on the full self driving 6k upgrade. I'm worried it'll be even more expensive to add on later and it looks like it's the best was to get all fun future upgrades.

Apparently Tesla changes stuff around all the time, but i can only hope that things won't get more expensive before i get to make my purchase.

Fingers crossed!

I did spend a lot of time looking at the model 3s available through Carvana and it was very tempting, but it's so hard for a neophyte like myself to actually know what those cars are offering. I don't know enough to be able to guess at their technology or their range, so i figured it's safer to buy new if i can still get the $1800ish rebate. Then it's only a few thousand difference between used and new, and i don't really even know what's in the used ones.

It's a shame, though. Carvana looks really great and i would have liked to try them out!

harikaried

Post by harikaried » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:34 am

BuckyBadger wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:32 pm
We've decided to go with the new 3, but will do in in a month
If it's convenient to stop by a Tesla showroom soon, it might be a worthwhile visit and purchase before the end of this month even before finishing up the expensive hobby:

https://electrek.co/2019/09/13/tesla-di ... rter-push/

Apparently for this end of quarter, Tesla might be able to get you 2 years free supercharging and free upgrades to paint ($750-2k), interior ($1k) and wheels ($1.5k) if that configuration matches something in inventory.

Edit: Actually, maybe not. Some people are reporting that this incentive ended on Tuesday.

cjking

Post by cjking » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:45 am

I haven't liked the looks of any Teslas until now, but the 3 is nice. I briefly got excited at the though of buying it, then realised it's too wide to fit through my garage door. (The single garage is wide enough overall, it's just at the door frame the width is too narrow, but I'm not allowed to alter that.)

In the UK most people either don't have garages (because most houses were built before people owned cars) or if they do, they use them for storage, because houses are small, and also cars have got wider every year for decades, so many no longer fit. My garage was built in 1990, and the width allowed by door frame is only a few inches more than my current model VW Golf.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:48 am

If you want a 3 now is the time to get some deals on inventory cars. To save a little I would get one before Sept 30 or consider waiting til end of year. Rumor is they are giving away features to move cars.
4nursebee

Topic Author
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:58 am

Yeah - looks like I missed out on some free perks earlier in September. But I'm hoping that maybe they will have something similar around the end of Q4 - which is maybe when I can be focusing on buying. And I don't want anything fancy, so hopefully I'll be able to take something from inventory.

And I changed my mind. Gonna do the long range for sure and will decide by then to add the self driving or not. That part is upgradable. Batteries and dual motors are not. And honestly, if I can get out of my expensive hobby I can afford both upgrades!

researcher

Post by researcher » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:11 am

BuckyBadger wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:58 am
And honestly, if I can get out of my expensive hobby I can afford both upgrades!
Are you able to share what this hobby is?
It's the second time you've mentioned it.

Topic Author
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:21 am

researcher wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:11 am
BuckyBadger wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:58 am
And honestly, if I can get out of my expensive hobby I can afford both upgrades!
Are you able to share what this hobby is?
It's the second time you've mentioned it.
I'm embarrassed to admit to you respectable Bogleheads.

I have a horse. but with the new baby I just don't have time to ride so I promised I would find another situation for the horse since I'm now paying for her board and for her to keep in training and not even actually riding her. But it's hard to do because I like the horse and do miss riding, but my time just isn't my own any more no matter how much I pretend I can still do everything I used to do!

Mr Badger has been very patient as I've paid monthly board bills and training bills and made a very reasonable request that I re-home the horse before getting the Tesla. I'd given myself the deadline of when Little Badger starts pre-preschool, but his is totally reasonable so I'm trying to dedicate myself to finding her a new situation.

Topic Author
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:22 am

And right now I pay about $1,000 a month to *not* ride my horse.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:16 am

I'd rather have the horse
Funding secured

Topic Author
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:20 am

DanMahowny wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:16 am
As would I.

Unfortunately, no car (or lack thereof) is going to find me enough time to ride with a baby and local grandparents in town for babysitting at the barn...

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:25 am

DanMahowny wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:16 am
Agreed. Forget the Tesla, keep the equine.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:29 am

BuckyBadger wrote:
Aiming to get it in before the end of the year, though, to keep the last remnants of the federal rebate.

so i figured it's safer to buy new if i can still get the $1800ish rebate.
Depending on how your state/locality does things, incurring an extra ~year (i.e. buying in December instead of January) of registration/property tax on a pricey vehicle may offset some, much, or perhaps all of the rebate.

Topic Author
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:34 am

psteinx wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:29 am
BuckyBadger wrote:

so i figured it's safer to buy new if i can still get the $1800ish rebate.
Depending on how your state/locality does things, incurring an extra ~year (i.e. buying in December instead of January) of registration/property tax on a pricey vehicle may offset some, much, or perhaps all of the rebate.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it!

Afty

Post by Afty » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:17 pm

A piece of advice: IMO Full Self Driving is not worth it. Base Autopilot is quite good and includes 90% of the useful features (adaptive cruise control and lane keeping).

FSD adds the following features:
  • Auto lane change, in which the car changes lanes for you when you signal while on Autopilot. Actually useful.
  • Navigate on Autopilot, which automatically changes lanes and takes exits on the highway. Users on the forums report that it's scary and doesn't work well yet.
  • Summon, which lets you pull forward and back from your phone. I think this is a gimmick and can't think of a real use for it.
The only reason to buy FSD now is if you really believe Tesla will crack full self driving in the near future. As a Model 3 owner and a software engineer, I don't. Even if they do solve self driving, you can just buy the software upgrade (at a premium, yes).

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:20 pm

Afty wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:17 pm
A piece of advice: IMO Full Self Driving is not worth it. Base Autopilot is quite good and includes 90% of the useful features (adaptive cruise control and lane keeping).

FSD adds the following features:
  • Auto lane change, in which the car changes lanes for you when you signal while on Autopilot. Actually useful.
  • Navigate on Autopilot, which automatically changes lanes and takes exits on the highway. Users on the forums report that it's scary and doesn't work well yet.
  • Summon, which lets you pull forward and back from your phone. I think this is a gimmick and can't think of a real use for it.
The only reason to buy FSD now is if you really believe Tesla will crack full self driving in the near future. As a Model 3 owner and a software engineer, I don't. Even if they do solve self driving, you can just buy the software upgrade (at a premium, yes).
I use summons to get my car in and out of the garage because it's a tight fit and I can't get my kid in the car in the garage. Having said that, summons doesn't really work that well in that situation. I certainly wouldn't pay $6k for it.