Do You Tip At Counter Service Restaurants?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sconie

Re: Do You Tip At Counter Service Restaurants?

Post by Sconie » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:18 am

student wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:34 pm
Mr.BB wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:31 pm
what I hate is when I'm at a restaurant and at the bottom of the bill they will show the dollar amount for 15-18 or 20% of a tip which is fine, unless they're including tipping on the total; including tax. That is wrong and should only be pre-taxed amount.
Yup. I hate that too.
Same here! I can make up my own mind whether to tip or not to tip and if I do, how much.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

Dantes

Post by Dantes » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:23 am

I mostly avoid the customer-facing touch-screen systems by using cash in those types of places. And I agree that when a tip is expected before service has been received that it is redefining what the purpose of a tip is.

Take those payment systems out of the equation, and sure I tip at those kinds of places. Back when I went to the same counter service place nearly every day I would put in a good tip once a week; if I am at someplace random then I will tip if there is any reason at all to do so, i.e. it is clean, workers are polite and efficient, etc.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:30 am

Only if the person at the cash register is the person actually preparing my meal. For example, there's a sandwich shop I frequent that does that. .

student

Post by student » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:36 am

drawpoker wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:42 pm
RJC wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:26 pm
Shouldn't businesses pay their workers more to minimize this sort of tipping?
They do, it's the law. But there is no law against trying to fool the public just a wee bit.

If I go out for a restaurant meal, whether a fancy place or the local greasy spoon, I know as a fact that the waiter or waitress who serves me is receiving $3.63 an hour from the employer. No more, no less, because that is what law sets for tipped employees in our state.

Now, the hostess who guides me to my table, or the cashier who takes payment at the end of the meal, I know that they are getting at least $10.10 an hour. Because that is the legally mandated minimum wage in our state for "non-tipped" employees.

Putting out tip jars, salting them with bills instead of change, and placing in prominent place under customers' noses is an effort to create the illusion that these workers are dependent upon tips.
Next time you go into a McDonald's or Arby's, when they hand you your order, say "Oh, where is the tip jar? I'd like to leave a tip".

You will be told right quick "That is not allowed".
I think tipped employees must get federal minimum wage, so employers must make up the difference if there is a shortfall. Your state may have additional rules. https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/wages/wagestips

Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:39 am

yohac wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:03 pm
Nicolas wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:07 pm
Why don’t we tip grocery store baggers? They’re also providing a service and are low paid.
Many would say you should, and would in fact assert that anyone who provides any personal service whatsoever deserves a generous tip. And if you don't agree, and comply, you're simply a bad person.
Lolwhat :mrgreen:
I called Fidelity rep last week to figure out how to enroll in auto buy of T Bills. It was a personal service but I'm not going to tip 25% of transaction for that :oops:

ADAMNOGGI

Post by ADAMNOGGI » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:53 am

CoastalWinds wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:11 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:09 pm
Yes I tip. If I have enough to buy prepared food from a vendor I can afford at least 10% tip.
This is interesting logic. Not sure I agree.
There is no logic.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:36 am

drawpoker wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:42 pm
RJC wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:26 pm
Shouldn't businesses pay their workers more to minimize this sort of tipping?
They do, it's the law. But there is no law against trying to fool the public just a wee bit.

If I go out for a restaurant meal, whether a fancy place or the local greasy spoon, I know as a fact that the waiter or waitress who serves me is receiving $3.63 an hour from the employer. No more, no less, because that is what law sets for tipped employees in our state.

Now, the hostess who guides me to my table, or the cashier who takes payment at the end of the meal, I know that they are getting at least $10.10 an hour. Because that is the legally mandated minimum wage in our state for "non-tipped" employees.

Putting out tip jars, salting them with bills instead of change, and placing in prominent place under customers' noses is an effort to create the illusion that these workers are dependent upon tips.
Next time you go into a McDonald's or Arby's, when they hand you your order, say "Oh, where is the tip jar? I'd like to leave a tip".

You will be told right quick "That is not allowed".
+1

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:41 am

Nope. Usually tip $1 or $2 regardless of the bill at fancy restaurants.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:00 pm

RollTide31457 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:41 am
Tipping $1 or $2 at a fancy restaurant, often actually loses the server money. Many servers have to pay out a portion of their sales to the bartender, host, or dishwasher. When I was a server, that was 2% of sales. So on a $150 restaurant check, the server would pay $3 to a tip pool. Your $1 or $2 tip would mean that the server is PAYING for the pleasure of serving you. I'd probably spit in your food if you left a tip of $1 or $2 on a $150 bill.

Until the state or federal government enact some law to eliminate tipping and just pay employees a decent wage, you should follow customs.

GT99

Post by GT99 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:08 pm

yohac wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:03 pm
Nicolas wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:07 pm
Why don’t we tip grocery store baggers? They’re also providing a service and are low paid.
Many would say you should, and would in fact assert that anyone who provides any personal service whatsoever deserves a generous tip. And if you don't agree, and comply, you're simply a bad person.
I bagged groceries in high school (I'm 43, so this was early-mid 90s), and it was one of the best jobs a high school kid could have because we DID get tips for helping people out to their cars with their groceries. It was a $4.25 minimum wage job that I averaged around $9-10/hour in because of the tips. $1 was pretty typical. You quickly learned who tipped more than that and targeted them. Around the holidays, $5 weren't uncommon.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:26 pm

student wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:36 am

I think tipped employees must get federal minimum wage............
In about a third of the states, yes, that is true. Those tipped employees receive $2.13 an hour, with their tips supposedly making up the difference to reach the federal minimum wage of $7.25.

However, that is observed in those states that have not enacted their own minimum wage laws (both for tipped and non-tipped workers). Those states that have their own higher limits than the federal wage laws pay much higher than $2.13.

https://www.minimum-wage.org/tipped

However, that is not really the point, is it. The point to me is that there is a real effort now to deliberately blur the lines between which workers really deserve a tip because they are dependent on them, and, those who don't.

Personally, I resent the paying customer being manipulated this way, and refuse to go along. When I know for a fact that the worker waiting on me is getting only $3.63 an hour (the law here), I willingly tip appropriate amount.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:33 pm

Glockenspiel wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:00 pm
RollTide31457 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:41 am
Tipping $1 or $2 at a fancy restaurant, often actually loses the server money. Many servers have to pay out a portion of their sales to the bartender, host, or dishwasher. When I was a server, that was 2% of sales. So on a $150 restaurant check, the server would pay $3 to a tip pool. Your $1 or $2 tip would mean that the server is PAYING for the pleasure of serving you. I'd probably spit in your food if you left a tip of $1 or $2 on a $150 bill.

Until the state or federal government enact some law to eliminate tipping and just pay employees a decent wage, you should follow customs.

Sometimes leave the coins from change (always pay in cash) too.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:49 pm

IMO wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:10 pm
cheese_breath wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:02 pm
Do you tip the bartender for the beer?

Doesn't the person who brings your burger and fries to the counter deserve as much?
Honestly, I don't feel someone either popping the cap off a beer or filling up a glass of beer from a tap deserves a tip in life. The problem is that it is socially expected to tip the bartender. So I tip the bartender because I find it hard to go against well established cultural norms.

Yes, the person who brings your burger to the counter is doing no more/no less work than the bartender. In fact, it is highly likely that financially the person bringing your burger probably needs the tip more relatively speaking. However, it is not a cultural norm to tip them, so I don't. There does seem to be the new trend to try to create a new cultural norm to tip the person at the cash register.

It's all pretty ridiculous.
Personally, I tip the bartender because I’d like a second beverage at some point.

Godot

Post by Godot » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:04 pm

CoastalWinds wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:42 pm
It’s guilt-based social engineering, and it is out of control.
+1. This kind of tipping (and others) simply subsidizes businesses.
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:11 pm

My neighbor's child made a ton of money when he was the designated "to-go" person at a restaurant, routinely $20-25/hour with tips.

With regard to tipping in general, my son routinely made $25-$30/hour as a server (MCOL city) in a "family" establishment that served alcohol. According to him, he could pick out those who were most likely to leave great tips. Here's his list, from best tipper to worst tipper:

1) Business men (by themselves or in a group)
2) Adult men in a group (non-businessmen) paying individually
3) Adult women in a group (non-businesswomen) paying individually
4) Adult men in a group (non-businessmen) paying with one check for the group
5) Adult women in a group (non-businesswomen) paying with one check for the group
6) Families (dad, mom, kids) with a husband paying
7) Families (dad, mom, kids) with a wife paying
8) Senior citizens
9) Teens or college students

His general observations: men tipped better than women (housewives were the worst); people in a group paying individually tipped better than if there was one check for the group; seniors were generally (not always) horrible tippers although they seemed to feel they were leaving huge tips; he got boned with tables of teens/college student.

student

Post by student » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:12 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:26 pm
student wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:36 am

I think tipped employees must get federal minimum wage............
In about a third of the states, yes, that is true. Those tipped employees receive $2.13 an hour, with their tips supposedly making up the difference to reach the federal minimum wage of $7.25.

However, that is observed in those states that have not enacted their own minimum wage laws (both for tipped and non-tipped workers). Those states that have their own higher limits than the federal wage laws pay much higher than $2.13.

https://www.minimum-wage.org/tipped

However, that is not really the point, is it. The point to me is that there is a real effort now to deliberately blur the lines between which workers really deserve a tip because they are dependent on them, and, those who don't.

Personally, I resent the paying customer being manipulated this way, and refuse to go along. When I know for a fact that the worker waiting on me is getting only $3.63 an hour (the law here), I willingly tip appropriate amount.
My point was that everyone get at least the federal minimum wage (tip or no tip). I understand where you are coming from "The point to me is that there is a real effort now to deliberately blur the lines between which workers really deserve a tip because they are dependent on them, and, those who don't." My personal practice is to use Emily Post's suggestion as a guide. For tip at counter restaurant, I would be a "sucker" at most once. At one place, I tipped as usual, and decided I would not go back. At another place, I tipped as usual and I am glad that I did because the waitstaff brought us food and waited on us, and the only difference from a regular restaurant was that we ordered at a counter.

Snowbird

Post by Snowbird » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:31 pm

I've never encountered a touch-screen payment system at a restaurant but I wouldn't leave a tip in that situation. I only tip with cash and only to the person I want to have it. I wouldn't trust that the workers are getting that money. I tip at the counter for carry-out.

atdharris

Post by atdharris » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:03 pm

I hate how the touch screens now shame you for not tipping. I shouldn't be asked to tip at a fast food restaurant where the person merely hands me my food and I serve myself.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:09 pm

Not usually.

However, years ago I used to see many of our daughters' friends working as servers, and if one was relegated to counter/call in duty I would tip them. Our daughters waited tables and actually made a boatload of tips. Amazing what good service and a friendly smile will generate in tips.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:57 pm

FlyOverState wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:16 pm
DanMahowny wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:09 pm
I actually enjoy giving some cash to people working crappy jobs for low pay. I feel no pressure to do it; I want to do it.
This.

To understand, it helps to have started out working those crappy jobs.
I don't mean this in a snarky way, but genuinely curious. Do you tip low-wage workers in situations where technology isn't engineering your tip? For example, when you buy a soda at a gas station do you tip the clerk? If not, how do you distinguish between who does and doesn't deserve a tip?

audioaxes

Post by audioaxes » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:21 pm

I hate those screens with ridiculous tip amounts. I once seen one where the suggested tip started at 20%.
My rule of thumb: take out at a sit down restaurant: ~10%
counter top restaurant: $0
my exception to tipping at a counter top is if I'm paying with a Groupon or other form of coupon, or the server went out their way, like patiently let my entire family sample what flavors ice cream they like. in that case, I'd tip $1-$2.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:32 pm

dcabler wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:30 am
Only if the person at the cash register is the person actually preparing my meal. For example, there's a sandwich shop I frequent that does that. .
Cashiers have dirty hands because they’re handling dirty money. All money is dirty. If they’re also preparing your food they’re spreading the germs into your food. I would switch to a sandwich shop where the cashier doesn't handle the food.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. — J. Paul Getty

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:36 pm

We have a bar in South Minneapolis called tap society. You get an rfid and go up and serve your own beer. These are all over the US now. I think you can have two beers before having to cash out (to avoid over serving a patron). At the end you pay the bill.

I ordered a hamburger as well and had it delivered to my table by a human. I grabbed my silverware / napkins from a kiosk.

There is a tip option of course on the screen...
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:46 pm

Yes, usually.
I don't like doing it....I wish restaurant owners and other owners of establishments were forced to pay a minimum wage. I would rather them pay their employees more and charge me more for food and drinks, as the system should work and as it works in other countries.
With a $15 minimum wage I probably would not tip other than in exceptional circumstances if I was not waited upon.
But given the system the way it is, and given how difficult it is nowadays to survive on minimum wage , I feel for these people. If you have a son or daughter who has worked in the service industry, you probably know what I mean.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:57 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:32 pm
dcabler wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:30 am
Cashiers have dirty hands because they’re handling dirty money. All money is dirty. If they’re also preparing your food they’re spreading the germs into your food. I would switch to a sandwich shop where the cashier doesn't handle the food.
I won't change sandwich shops because as I stand there, I watch them wash their hands after making the sandwiches and before handling money. It's a well enforced company policy, not to mention a health code requirement.

student

Post by student » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:12 pm

protagonist wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:46 pm
With a $15 minimum wage I probably would not tip other than in exceptional circumstances if I was not waited upon.
Except they still expect you to tip. http://www.seattlemag.com/article/guide ... 5-hour-era

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:40 pm

A tip at a place like Chipotle or Panera where you place your order at the counter, pick up the order yourself and clear your own table is ridiculous.

I will also add that businesses that I am a customer at asking for me to make a donation to their charity is very aggravating. They should donate from their profits and not harass customers. I'll donate to my own charities, thank you. I don't ask the businesses I frequent to donate to my charities.

Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:06 pm

Glockenspiel wrote:
...I'd probably spit in your food if you left a tip of $1 or $2 on a $150 bill...
Figured I’d point out that this is technically a battery:

https://vistacriminallaw.com/spitting-i ... alifornia/

Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time.

Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:06 am

I'm not going to feel bad about it anymore. Thanks all for your responses.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:07 am

Just sayin... wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:06 pm
Glockenspiel wrote:
...I'd probably spit in your food if you left a tip of $1 or $2 on a $150 bill...

Correct. Definitely wouldn’t leave a tip for such a hate filled individual.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:08 am

student wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:12 pm
protagonist wrote:
Except they still expect you to tip. http://www.seattlemag.com/article/guide ... 5-hour-era
Well, expectations derive from experience. That said, the article in seattlemag.com said nothing about servers' expectations. It only stated that many customers still think tipping is the right thing to do (with no explanation as to how they derived that conclusion).
But ok....If the majority of customers tip because they think it is the right thing to do, then perhaps it is the right thing to do.
And if people strongly objected to paying $3.85 for a donut plus service charge and tax, they would vote with their wallets and the Seattle donut store in question would go out of business. I wouldn't pay that for a donut, but clearly there are enough people who think the donuts are worth it.

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:09 am

RJC wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:06 am
I'm not going to feel bad about it anymore. Thanks all for your responses.
This thread was a good read and I certainly won't feel bad anymore either.

I will admit to having been duped in the past for things like food trucks where they have those stupid tablets and they spin it around with the options to tip 18%, 20%, or 25%. Of course those tip amounts are huge buttons and the no tip button is almost microscopic by comparison.

I will continue to tip my waiter/waitress for dine-in at a restaurant quite well, but I often wonder how far away we are from the recommended tip range for that service shifting to 20-30% from the current 15-25%.

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:23 am

protagonist wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:08 am
student wrote:
protagonist wrote:
Well, expectations derive from experience. That said, the article in seattlemag.com said nothing about servers' expectations. It only stated that many customers still think tipping is the right thing to do (with no explanation as to how they derived that conclusion).
But ok....If the majority of customers tip because they think it is the right thing to do, then perhaps it is the right thing to do.
And if people strongly objected to paying $3.85 for a donut plus service charge and tax, they would vote with their wallets and the Seattle donut store in question would go out of business. I wouldn't pay that for a donut, but clearly there are enough people who think the donuts are worth it.
I think it's more a factor of people wanting to believe that they're well off enough to not sweat the "small purchases" combined with their poor grasp of math. They also deserve that $5 donut.

Of course, this doesn't reflect the reality that most Americans are like 2 missed paychecks away from financial ruin.

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:32 am

I've definitely fallen sucker to the tip suggestions on the pay pads (iPads?). The 15%, 20%, 25% buttons make me feel guilty to click other.

I tip pretty well at dine-in restaurants where food is served to me, they clean the table, etc. Usually 30%, sometimes even more.

After seeing the discussion on this forum, I think I'm going to stop tipping when I pick up an order unless they bring it to my car. I've traditionally given 20% even when I place an online order and pick up the food at the counter. No more. If they bring it to my car, I will tip 10-20%. Otherwise, no tip.

Our nation has gotten out of control with tipping. I was even prompted to tip for boarding my dogs recently.

student

Post by student » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:34 am

protagonist wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:08 am
student wrote:
protagonist wrote:
I think a good number of servers still expect to be tipped. I read about some servers' discontent at Seatac after the minimum wage was raised and some customers were leaving less tip but I am unable to find this article. However, here is an article that addresses this. http://archive.kuow.org/post/city-15-mi ... -leave-tip 'KUOW listener Derek Hanson wanted to know, in a city with a $15 per hour minimum wage, "do I still need to tip?" The short answer is a full-throated yes. At least, that’s what nearly every server told KUOW.' I don't think I would want to tip in this situation but I would probably just do what others are doing or go to sit-down restaurant less often.

student

Post by student » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:37 am

southerndoc wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:32 am
I've definitely fallen sucker to the tip suggestions on the pay pads (iPads?). The 15%, 20%, 25% buttons make me feel guilty to click other.

I tip pretty well at dine-in restaurants where food is served to me, they clean the table, etc. Usually 30%, sometimes even more.

After seeing the discussion on this forum, I think I'm going to stop tipping when I pick up an order unless they bring it to my car. I've traditionally given 20% even when I place an online order and pick up the food at the counter. No more. If they bring it to my car, I will tip 10-20%. Otherwise, no tip.

Our nation has gotten out of control with tipping. I was even prompted to tip for boarding my dogs recently.
I almost never tipped at take-out unless it is a large and complicated order, at a restaurant that do not normally offer take-out, or it is brought to my car. I am ok with this since this is essentially what Emily Post suggests. https://emilypost.com/advice/general-tipping-guide/

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:46 am

southerndoc wrote:
Last Saturday we went to see my little sister at a cross-country meet. Not only did it cost $8/person to get in (I've never previously been charged to see a high school x-country or track meet and I've been to 100+) but my mother took my son and daughter to get a fruit smoothie at a food cart/stand and the young lady verbally asked her for a tip. After having paid $32 dollars (my stepfather, other sister, and a friend came) to watch her daughter run for 20min and $10 for two tiny smoothies, she was not amused.

student

Post by student » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:53 am

stoptothink wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:46 am
southerndoc wrote:
Last Saturday we went to see my little sister at a cross-country meet. Not only did it cost $8/person to get in (I've never previously been charged to see a high school x-country or track meet and I've been to 100+) but my mother took my son and daughter to get a fruit smoothie at a food cart/stand and the young lady verbally asked her for a tip. After having paid $32 dollars (my stepfather, other sister, and a friend came) to watch her daughter run for 20min and $10 for two tiny smoothies, she was not amused.
Was a tip given? I am just wondering. I would be so shock in the moment that I would probably give $1.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:08 am

student wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:53 am
stoptothink wrote:
southerndoc wrote:
Was a tip given? I am just wondering. I would be so shock in the moment that I would probably give $1.
I believe she said "no thanks". She was a bit tongue-tied and didn't know what to say. I would have been a lot less tactful with my response, then again I would not have bought $5 smoothies for my kids. Grandma is much nicer than I am.

student

Post by student » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:15 am

stoptothink wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:08 am
student wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:53 am
stoptothink wrote:
southerndoc wrote:
I believe she said "no thanks". She was a bit tongue-tied and didn't know what to say. I would have been a lot less tactful with my response, then again I would not have bought $5 smoothies for my kids. Grandma is much nicer than I am.
Thanks for the info.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:19 am

southerndoc wrote:

..... I was even prompted to tip for boarding my dogs recently.
Well, of course. Even at a doggy hotel, there has to be a bellhop to carry guest bags. :P :P :P

While we're on the subject, did everyone know that those places that automatically tack on the gratuity for large parties, the server(s) aren't entitled to that money as a tip? The IRS ruled that is is entirely up to the discretion of the owner how much, or any, of that money goes to the hard-working servers. Because it is labeled as "service charge", not "tip".

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... oyees.html

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:40 am

Kennedy wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:11 pm

His general observations: men tipped better than women (housewives were the worst); people in a group paying individually tipped better than if there was one check for the group; seniors were generally (not always) horrible tippers although they seemed to feel they were leaving huge tips; he got boned with tables of teens/college student.
I worked in sort of a family-type steakhouse for two years and I'll agree with a lot of this. Most of the time, senior citizens were poor tippers and seem to think leaving a "couple bucks" was enough. I'm sure back in the 50s, a buck or two was a good tip, but times change. Sometimes they'll surprise you though with a 20-30%+ tip though. All the time, people paying separate checks tip better than one person paying for the whole table. People out for a business lunch or dinner almost always tip well (business reimburses them).

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:42 am

Just sayin... wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:06 pm
Glockenspiel wrote:

It was in jest. I would never and had never actually spit in someone's food.

Cheryl604

Post by Cheryl604 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:43 am

Can't access the article, but I do tip for counter service, 10-15%. When people are preparing food or beverages for me, they are providing a service that I appreciate. Plus, i feel like I've been fortunate in life, and if tacking on an extra dollar or two creates goodwill or really means a lot for the people behind the counter, I'm happy to do so.

GT99

Post by GT99 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:31 pm

protagonist wrote:
Yes, usually.
I don't like doing it....I wish restaurant owners and other owners of establishments were forced to pay a minimum wage. I would rather them pay their employees more and charge me more for food and drinks, as the system should work and as it works in other countries.
But given the system the way it is, and given how difficult it is nowadays to survive on minimum wage , I feel for these people. If you have a son or daughter who has worked in the service industry, you probably know what I mean.
Alas, nobody wins when you take away the tip model. Most other countries might do it that way, but most other countries have far worse restaurant service than the US - I've spent many months in Europe and noticed this very consistently.

Here's what happens when you take away the tip model:
1. Servers lose - they make much more money than they would on a static rate. Waiting tables is one of the best jobs for someone without other marketable skills from a $ perspective (hours can suck). I average $13 per hour in the late 90s waiting tables at a suburban sports bar where a pitcher of beer was $5 and most meals were under $10. Food prices and average tip rates are MUCH higher now than they were than.

2. Customers lose - not just because servers have less incentive to give good, fast service, but by incenting restaurant owners to minimize staffing, so servers have more tables to serve. This is readily apparent in Europe - I've seen many cases where I've been in a pub with things like 15 full tables and 10 people sitting at the bar, with just a bartender and 1 server (standard in the US is 4 or 5 tables per server).

3. Owners lose - not because they have to pay more, but because of the slower service mentioned in 2. Drinkers drink less and tables turn slower.

To be clear, I'm only speaking about standard sit down restaurants. I don't think it makes much difference in most other formats.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:03 pm

Why do we have so many threads about tipping?

catdude

Post by catdude » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:41 pm

fareastwarriors wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:03 pm
As someone who started one of the threads (the one about tipping the moving company dudes), it's because there's an awful lot of consternation in trying to figure out just what's appropriate in a myriad different situations....
catdude | | "As much as cats fight, there always seems to be plenty of kittens." (Abraham Lincoln)

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:46 pm

catdude wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:41 pm
fareastwarriors wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:03 pm
As someone who started one of the threads (the one about tipping the moving company dudes), it's because there's an awful lot of consternation in trying to figure out just what's appropriate in a myriad different situations....
And it always seems like a moving target....towards more tipping and higher amounts all while minimum wages are rising in many places.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:07 pm

I bought a dozen ears of corn from a roadside stand this afternoon. They have a prominent tip jar there and it was well-filled with greenbacks. You bag your own vegetables at this stand, it’s self-service. All they do is take your money.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. — J. Paul Getty

student

Post by student » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:34 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:07 pm
I bought a dozen ears of corn from a roadside stand this afternoon. They have a prominent tip jar there and it was well-filled with greenbacks. You bag your own vegetables at this stand, it’s self-service. All they do is take your money.
I think it is a standard practice that the servers put some "seed money" in the jar themselves.