Senior fell in major store

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
brandy

Senior fell in major store

Post by brandy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:15 am

Sept 15 I fell inside a nationwide store about 24 hours ago, doing bodily damage.
I did report it, but I also hope rest will take care of injured parts, said that at least twice. No medical assistance was called, but I was unable to continue shopping. They helped get a couple of things for me. I came home and rested, expect to do the same for a few days. The manager asked something about “what I would want from them”. I had just fallen, I hadn't thought about anything more than hoping this doesn't go any further. I did shrug and say well, help with medicals. She said she'd call tomorrow (today).

I'm a senior, and there is some thought about seniors and falling, so concern there. What further steps should I be taking now?
And what steps have they-are they taking now, will they take?

Turbo29

Re: Senior fell in major store

Post by Turbo29 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:24 am

They will report it to their insurance company. However, just because you fell in their store doesn't automatically make them liable for it. Be assured that their insurance company or company risk management division will review it carefully, especially if you claim high bills and or damages. Most big companies have video surveillance in all areas and they will review that carefully.

Having been a manager for a nationwide retail chain several years ago I can tell you that there are a lot of fraudulent slip and fall cases in stores (not implying that yours is). This is why they may take a hard line on it.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:32 am

brandy wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:15 am
Sept 15 I fell inside a nationwide store about 24 hours ago, doing bodily damage.
I did report it, but I also hope rest will take care of injured parts, said that at least twice. No medical assistance was called, but I was unable to continue shopping. They helped get a couple of things for me. I came home and rested, expect to do the same for a few days. The manager asked something about “what I would want from them”. I had just fallen, I hadn't thought about anything more than hoping this doesn't go any further. I did shrug and say well, help with medicals. She said she'd call tomorrow (today).

I'm a senior, and there is some thought about seniors and falling, so concern there. What further steps should I be taking now?
People fall all the time for no reason, so the part you left out is the most important: why did you fall?

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:33 am

If you fell due to fault of the store, that is different than if you fell because of weakness, fault of your own, etc.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

delamer

Post by delamer » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:33 am

I am sorry that you got hurt, and hope you are feeling better.

Did you fall because of a hazard in the store, an existing medical condition, or just bad luck?

TIAX

Post by TIAX » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:34 am

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:32 am
brandy wrote:

People fall all the time for no reason, so the part you left out is the most important: why did you fall?
Don't answer this question on a public forum and call a personal injury attorney.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:42 am

What did the store do to cause you to fall?
Funding secured

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:12 pm

I’m sorry you fell and hope you have a speedy recovery. This is a growing concern for me as my parents age.

If there was no negligence on the part of the store leading to your fall and if it was purely an accident, please don’t be one of those people who sues for some ridiculous amount.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:27 pm

TIAX wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:34 am
tibbitts wrote:
brandy wrote:

Don't answer this question on a public forum and call a personal injury attorney.
Well, if the OP fell without any contribution from the store, there is no need to consult an attorney.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:48 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:27 pm
Well, if the OP fell without any contribution from the store, there is no need to consult an attorney.
What if it was caused by an overly waxed floor and the OP doesn’t know that? I’m not hankering for a lawsuit but details matter.

Cheers

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:00 pm

What did the doctor say when you finally sought medical advice?

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:07 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:48 pm
tibbitts wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:27 pm
What if it was caused by an overly waxed floor and the OP doesn’t know that? I’m not hankering for a lawsuit but details matter.

Cheers
That would be a "contribution from the store", although I've never seen a legal definition of "overly waxed" - maybe attorneys will be along to provide one. I think a better example would be slipping on a floor if the floor had just been wet from cleaning, but no signage provided.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:09 pm

TIAX wrote:

+1
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:27 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:00 pm
What did the doctor say when you finally sought medical advice?
Did you see a doctor yet? The longer you wait the better chance the store will have to claim any injuries may have some other cause.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:30 pm

I am also in age there. I recently fell on a rocky beach and needed medical help. I got simply confused with my hands when taking shoes off while standing. It was my fault. So in a store you can get confused walking on stairs or bending down looking for things and fall....etc.

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:31 pm

Sorry for your accident. You are going to need a theory of liability if you have any expectation of compensation from the store.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:41 pm

I fell in DW's nursing home. Wasn't their fault. Required hospitalization. Medicare paid all the bills. If there are future complications I hope Medicare will pay them too.

(At least there was a nurse there instead of a store manager.) :happy
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

ohai

Post by ohai » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:51 pm

"I'm a senior, and there is some thought about seniors and falling, so concern there. What further steps should I be taking now?
And what steps have they-are they taking now, will they take?"

Are you asking about what steps people should be doing in general if they fear injury from falling down?

My grandmother is starting to have this issue. We're convincing her to 1) use a cane, 2) get new shoes, as her old ones had worn soles, and 3) get eye check ups, so she won't walk into things.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:09 pm

I think you should go to a doctor today (even if it is urgent care). Did you hit your head? Do you remember all the circumstances before and after the fall? I'm assuming you are on Medicare and thus have health insurance.

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:18 pm

brandy wrote:

Better call Saul....

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:52 pm

If it is a big box store they almost certainly have the event on video. Cameras are everywhere in those sorts of stores these days. If you reported it as you say then the store manager almost certainly pulled the video and they are probably waiting to see if you make any claims that aren't supported by the video

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:17 pm

If things go your way, you might be set for life!

https://youtu.be/IcLbHUBoDpI

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:24 pm

TIAX wrote:
tibbitts wrote:
brandy wrote:

I would only contact a personal injury lawyer if you learn your injuries are more serious and last a while. Hopefully, you will recover quickly. Also, I would not do any settlement with the store until you are more confident of what your injuries are. You may want to be checked by an orthopedic doctor just to be sure there are no lingering affects.

CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:28 pm

What does it matter if it was a “major store” or a minor store (however those are defined)?

What does it matter if it was a senior, or a child?

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:45 pm

My pre-school son once injured himself on a shopping cart in a grocery store. His fault, and mine for not keeping him under control. A very concerned and helpful store manager asked me what I wanted. I demanded, and got, a cookie (for my son) and a bagel (for his sibling) so they would have something to eat while we waited at the urgent care for stitches. Could have gotten something by suing, but why?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:53 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (conjecture, no further progress can be made in the discussion). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.