Need gift ideas for my parents

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Plz

Need gift ideas for my parents

Post by Plz » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:59 am

Found one!
Last edited by Plz on Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

scifilover

Re: Need gift ideas for my parents

Post by scifilover » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:04 am

Not enough info......
Parents age range, interests, ??????

Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:09 am

Also more information on why you are giving gifts? As we grew older my family agreed not to exchange gifts among adults in most occasions.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:19 am

If they are up to it, a portrait (painting) of them. Costs run $5,000 to $10,000. Its a nice legacy to leave. I have my grandfather's hanging in my dining room. It only brings back good memories.

galving

Post by galving » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:24 am

Write a book. . .
A couple of years ago, I wrote a collection of short stories from your perspective about your family's experiences over the years.
These are the stories everyone recalls during the holidays, and definitely pick the ones that you can laugh about.

Most of these can be summarized to their essence in about a page. . . I put a half dozen of these together, uploaded the stories to FedexKinkos and had a couple of 'books' printed and sent directly to the parents.

They loved it, and still talk about the book.
Funny thing is that everyone has their own perspective to 'the event'.
We found our memories weren't perfect/identical and some of the 'at the time terrible' stories became much funnier after a decade or so!

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:38 am

galving wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:24 am
Write a book. . .
A couple of years ago, I wrote a collection of short stories from your perspective about your family's experiences over the years.
These are the stories everyone recalls during the holidays, and definitely pick the ones that you can laugh about.

Most of these can be summarized to their essence in about a page. . . I put a half dozen of these together, uploaded the stories to FedexKinkos and had a couple of 'books' printed and sent directly to the parents.
+1

We did this for my dad as a gift for his 75th birthday. There are 6 siblings, so we solicited short anecdotes/stories from everyone then my sister and I organized them by themes into chapters (vacations/dad at work/dad's advice) that we illustrated with family photos.

I think it was probably the gift he has loved most of all the many, many 'things' we've ever given him.

runner540

Post by runner540 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:23 am

Arrange and pay for a family photo shoot and then get albums printed. Probably will be less than $1000.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:49 pm

Make a donation to a charity or non-profit organization they support. I've got all the "stuff" I need and have been doing it for years.

And you might even get a tax deduction, depending on your status per the latest tax law changes.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:14 pm

scifilover wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:04 am
Not enough info......
Parents age range, interests, ??????
Agree! Good ideas will be based not on cost, but on meaning that reflects their interests and personalities, and what gift can best express that.
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

Ybsybs

Post by Ybsybs » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:33 pm

Jewelry if you can find a designer who could reliably make something in a style that'd be appreciated.

A service gift like house cleaning or snow removal or yard mowing for a season, if those wouldn't come across as an insult to the current maintenance of the home.

A top of the line television.

Certain car after market products like leather seats.

Ybsybs

Post by Ybsybs » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:37 pm

Plz wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:59 am
My parents have pretty much everything they would want, which is why it’s tough to think of good gifts for them.

Ideally, I want this gift to be on the pricier side ($1,000+ per person). I also know they do not want experiences (i.e. spa, vacation).

Can you help me think of some good gifts? What have been some of the better gifts you’ve received that fit the description above? What would you want as a gift?

Any brainstorming helps!
We gave the inlaws a very fancy 50th wedding anniversary party and bought them a new couch. (We tried to send them to see Rome because they'd said for years that they wanted to go some day. They asked if they could have a couch instead.)

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:12 pm

Depending on how much use they would get out of them - laptop, iPad, Kindle, Apple Watch.
Are *all* experiences out? Would they enjoy tickets to a concert or show that they might not otherwise buy themselves?
Private chef at their home to cook a fancy meal.
Concur with the family photo shoot idea above.

Calli114

Post by Calli114 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:55 pm

Would they enjoy fine linens? They can be quite pricey and feel like the best hotel experience at home. Plus, monogrammed ones would be special.

CABob

Post by CABob » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:40 pm

Some thoughts from personal experience:
Are you sure that they want and would appreciate a gift of the type you are thinking.
In some cases just seeing children and grandchildren more often would be appreciated.
Knowing that a child spends a lot of money (perhaps not as much as you mentioned) for "stuff" that could better be put to use on themselves and their families would be more satisfying.
Having someone who notices things that need to be done or repaired and does it is very much appreciated even though the cost is nominal.
Bob

Planner01

Post by Planner01 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:02 pm

A top of the line coffee/cappuccino maker. Or a nice set of diamond earrings for mom and a watch for dad.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:48 am

It would not work for everybody but if they have a regular fireplace then paying to convert it to a natural gas fireplace would be an option.

My parents gave me one for a house warming present when I bought my house. It is nice to be able to just turn on off and on when we want it and not have to bring the firewood in and clean up the ashes. Turning it off works really well since we can just close the flue and go to bed, with a wood fireplace the flue would be left open all night.

We have also used it several times for the heat when there had been a long power outage in the winter.

Even without a natural gas conversion a nice looking fireplace door would also be something to consider.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:56 am

CABob wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:40 pm
Some thoughts from personal experience:
Are you sure that they want and would appreciate a gift of the type you are thinking.
In some cases just seeing children and grandchildren more often would be appreciated.
Knowing that a child spends a lot of money (perhaps not as much as you mentioned) for "stuff" that could better be put to use on themselves and their families would be more satisfying.
Having someone who notices things that need to be done or repaired and does it is very much appreciated even though the cost is nominal.
Agreed.
We (and especially my parents) have much less than it sounds like the OP has, and still spending time with loved ones is the most meaningful experience/expense. Paying for my dad's camping reservations so he'll join us on a trip - stuff like that, is way more meaningful.

But, go ahead, try and find a $1,000+ dollar item that somehow brings a brief, fleeting moment of joy to someone.
Good luck.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:47 am

A nice all paid surprise vacation

cognovimus

Post by cognovimus » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:41 am

Depends very much on the parents likes, dislikes and limitations.

My parents HATED traveling, even when they were mobile and healthy.

My father LOVED the laptop we bought him, said it gave him an education. Used it when he woke up in the middle of the night and had a project idea to research. Took it to the hospital with him when he was ill so he could follow his investments. (Incidentally, he never had a clue how much it cost. Thought it was a few hundred dollars.) My mother uses her iPad every day.

If they are homebodies like my parents, computers, TVs, other electronics are good ideas and they do endure, if used.

Dad since passed away, but I'm thinking of giving my mother a DNA kit as I think the genealogy would be interesting for her.

Last "big" present was a few thousand toward upgrading kitchen appliances. I wanted them to choose the models and features they wanted rather than me doing it. While this was appreciated, it didn't really work out that well because they were too frugal to pay for installation and never got the icemaker working on the frig.