Chase Sapphire Reserve - a lot of travel in East Africa

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Faisal

Chase Sapphire Reserve - a lot of travel in East Africa

Post by Faisal » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:12 pm

So I am going to East Africa for a year. Looking at contigency plans in case I croak in a kidnapping, terrorist attack and general all round mess that goes with my work. A friend who works in Afghanistan recommend i get the CSR for its travel accident policy of 1 million dollars.

I will be travelling as much as every month to countries in the region and then back to the US regularly. Will be booking tickets with my credit card on a regular basis and after what happened with Ethiopian airlines and we lost a as many as 30 colleagues on that flight I was wondering if anybody else thought that is a good card for its 1 million dollar policy.

whodidntante

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve - a lot of travel in East Africa

Post by whodidntante » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:01 pm

You may be focusing on the wrong thing. If your life is realistically in danger, consider leaving the job. Earn less but live. Certain jobs may be worth risking your life for some people, astronaut, race car driver, intelligence agent, etc. But modestly better pay alone is not worth your life.

Does someone depend on your income? That's what life insurance is good for. Will your heirs know you had a CSR and how to get the million bucks? Are you going to send them documentation for every business trip you take? Does Chase have a good and verifiable reputation for paying life insurance claims?

Term life insurance is pretty cheap if you are young and healthy. And some policies pay double if you die on a business trip.

The CSR is a good travel card and worth the expensive annual fee for some. That's mainly what I would base it on, not life insurance.

curryitr

Post by curryitr » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:05 pm

More than likely term insurance is not going to write a policy for someone living or working in those countries. I know that from experience... I believe Georgia and Florida have laws that prevent insurance agencies from denying you due to foreign work or residence if you happen to live in either of those states.

I have several missionary friends in that part of the world who use the CSR.

GUtiger

Post by GUtiger » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:38 pm

I think there are other great reasons to use that card. Statistically, you're more likely to die in a car in those countries than on a plane, so you probably won't get to use that benefit (hopefully!).

You will, however, get into the airport lounges (which makes a big difference in some of the regional airports), have trip insurance, some medical insurance coverages, good points for travel expenses, coverage for lost luggage, etc.

As others have said above, term insurance is best for your main concern. When I applied I don't recall being asked if I was planning to travel to Africa.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:04 pm

OP, better get one of those insurances that offer extraction by private security companies and/or medical insurance that includes air lifting.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:29 am

So what are you doing out there?

wubdemil

Post by wubdemil » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:45 am

You are safer in the streets of Addis Ababa than St. Louis, Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, Little Rock, Milwaukee, Cleveland, and many many other cities in the US. There is nothing you should worry about in East Africa as long as you stay within major cities and tourist destinations.

[My opinion changes if you have to go to border regions with active conflict and/or social unrest.]

Topic Author
Faisal

Post by Faisal » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:22 am

Thanks for all the comments. I am not so much worried about being in Addis or Nairobi or even Khartoum. I have worked in a few hot spots. It was more for the travel insurance. Anything can happen and i have noticed more consistently we here about plane crashes then we did before.

I have life insurance vis a vis my work which covers all official and work related travel etc. This is an extra precaution for additional funds for the family in case something happens to me.

And nope nobody in the family save for my wife will know and yes she will get all documentation of my travel. But that has been the case since before we got married and when I was working in Afghanistan and South Sudan. She would get everything so she knew I was safe and sound.

Also I love my job I have one of the best jobs in the world honestly. So no plans on changing that. And for those who are truly interested in what I do please feel free to PM me.

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:10 pm

One thing to note is that Chase can change those benefits whenever they want. There may or may not be a notice period required. Chase can also unilaterally close your account with zero notice—what if that happened in the middle of your trip and the day after you found yourself needing the policy?

Chase has a hair trigger when it comes to account closures if they suspect you're even remotely a risk to them.

I would also double-check that their policy includes long-term travel (sometimes these CC policies are limited to trips of a certain duration, but I don't know if the CSR has such an exclusion).

Personally I would not rely on Chase for this but would instead buy a standalone policy. I have an annual membership in the Divers Alert Network which includes their TravelAssist plan. It covers medical evacuation and remains repatriation when traveling. I travel abroad several times a year so I prefer an annual policy over buying individual insurance for each trip.

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/memb ... vel_Assist

Between that and regular term life I think you'd be covered. You could stack CC insurance on top as a sweetener just in case (that's what I do).