Bike head/rear lights

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Mrxyz

Bike head/rear lights

Post by Mrxyz » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:10 pm

Hi
Any suggestions for bike head/rear lights? (Read road bicycling and not motorcycle - yes I wish I had that but .......that's another topic!)
I often bike late after sunset or in poor light conditions and need some recommendations please.
Thanks

Winston19

Re: Bike head/rear lights

Post by Winston19 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:14 pm

I like the cygolite hotshot pro 150 for a rear light. Cygolite and niterider make good front lights. If you want something less expensive check out Planet Bike.

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:18 pm

This article doesn't really tell you what to buy but does help with what to look for.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/01/jra-wit ... ted-equal/

socaldude

Post by socaldude » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:20 pm

You can get great lights cheap. The main thing for rear red light is the flashing to get driver's attention. ( I even have a bell, really helps when coming up on walkers, or walkers with dogs, strollers etc. etc.) A good white/clear flashing headlight also.Enjoy the ride !

AerialP

Post by AerialP » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:37 pm

+1 on the Planet Bike suggestion, and adding a suggestion to check out what's on sale/clearance via REI.

Lights are now very compact, very bright, have several intensity/blinking choices, pretty low priced, and most all are rechargeable usually via USB connection.
One good light forward and one good light rearward, paired with a helmet (and I highly recommend a cheap stalk-mounted-on-helmet rear-view mirror) and white/bright/reflective clothing and you will be very highly suited for your riding situation.
Safe pedaling; enjoy!

cyclist

Post by cyclist » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:06 pm

There are lots of solid choices for headlights (Cygolite, L&M Urban, etc.)

Tail lights can save your life. The DiNotte Quad Red is enormously, dramatically brighter than Planet Bike and similar lights. It’s made well in the USA and I can’t recommend it highly enough. It’s really expensive for a tail light, really cheap for insurance.

If you can afford it, consider buying it.

Cyclist

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:22 pm

another Cygolite rear recommendation

I got the older/cheaper one and it is still plenty bright in daylight also. USB rechargeable battery lasts quite a while too.

Set it to the 3 flash, pause, 3 flash setting. A steady blinking light doesn't catch attention the same way a pulsing light does. People can more easily tune out to a steady flash.

IMO

Post by IMO » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:59 am

socaldude wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:20 pm
You can get great lights cheap. The main thing for rear red light is the flashing to get driver's attention. ( I even have a bell, really helps when coming up on walkers, or walkers with dogs, strollers etc. etc.) A good white/clear flashing headlight also.Enjoy the ride !
Agree with this thought. I don't bike on roads under low light conditions, let alone daytime conditions anymore because it's not a risk I want to take in life.

Go all in on low light/night riding safety:

a) Rear blinking lite.
b) Front blinking lite.
c) Reflective clothing/tape on your helmut.
d) I'd even get the inexpensive spoke lights or valve stem lights that make your wheels extremely visible (Used to get these for a couple bucks at walmart for my kid).

According to this source: https://www.enjuris.com/blog/news/bicycle-fatalities/

Nationwide, the statistics aren’t much better. In fact, 818 bicyclists died in collisions with motor vehicles in 2015 alone, up from nearly 730 the prior year, says Helmets.org. In addition, 45,000 bicyclists were injured in general roadway collisions that year all across the USA.

Here are some interesting stats kept by the NHTSA referring not just to bicyclists but also to any riders of two-wheel, non-motorized vehicles, tricycles and unicycles powered by pedals:

Most crashes happen in autumn (29%), then 27% in winter, 20% in summer, and 18% in spring.
Most pedal cyclist fatalities occur in urban areas (70%) rather than rural areas (30%).
Most pedal cyclist fatalities occur at non-intersections; whereas just 3% occur in bicycle lanes.
Crashes occurring in the daylight hours vs. the dark are equal. Dusk is a particularly risky time to ride, with 4% of fatal accidents taking place at dusk.
The highest number of deaths was recorded between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m.
Over the last 10 years, the average age of pedal cyclists killed in motor vehicle accidents increased from 41 to 45.
Males are more likely to be hit while riding their bikes than their female counterparts, with the fatality rate per million people being six times higher for men than women in 2015.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:21 am

A flashing white headlamp can be useful in low light, dusk conditions but avoid this in full darkness. It is blinding to pedestrians and other bicyclists. It can be VERY disorienting to some motorists who may veer toward the blinking, thinking they are avoiding something while blinded by the bright light.

Also, remember to aim the lights well so they aren't pointed up at passing bikes on the bike trail and driver's eyes on the street. Covering your lights for oncoming bicycles and pedestrians is greatly appreciated.

LEDs are very efficient but very intense on human eyes and can easily blind folks, leading to unsafe situations. Brighter isn't always better. Use the minimum brightness for safety.

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:30 am

+1 on Dinotte, very bright and long battery life.

I recently also got a Garmin Varia, which integrates s rear light with a radar that shows when cars are approaching. Now I find it indispensable.

www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/04/garmin-vari ... w.html/amp

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:09 am

TL;DR: So I bought a set of TeamObsidian bike lights via Amazon for under $15

I wanted a set of lights that were NOT USB-only-rechargeable and instead used AAA rechargeable batteries. That way I could carry spare AAA batteries and have fresh batteries mid-ride if needed. (I do have USB-rechargeable headlamps for backpacking and carry an Anker power bank to recharge on backpacking trips.)

I bought AAA eneloop batteries and a LaCrosse charger, too, so I didn't have to ever buy any more batteries. A plus is that if my lights are low on juice, I just pop in a set of already charged batteries and don't have to wait to charge some up. This might happen if I rode 3 days in a row and didn't charge up my batteries in the lights.

Furthermore, I chose a headlamp that is also a hand-held flashlight, so that I could take it off my bike and use it that way.

So I bought a set of TeamObsidian bike lights via Amazon for under $15. Headlight is great for NIGHT bike riding because it is meant to light up the road. Both head and rear lights have flashing modes. I ride in the morning before sunrise (like now) and also ride during the day. I've had these lights for a few years now and I am still using the same batteries. I get about 3 hours per charge for the head light and 6 hours for the tail light. They are "quick release" so I can take them with me when I lock up my bike somewhere. That's important so they won't be stolen.

In addition to the TeamObsidian lights, I found a small Black Diamond light that had fallen off of someone's bike. It is USB rechargeable Li-Ion battery. It has flashing white, flashing red, steady white, steady red modes. It is not meant to light up the roadway, but only to make you more visible to others. I put this light in my back jersey pocket in red flashing mode. The jersey is so thin the bright flashing light shines right through. I like it because it is not a steady flashing, but has 2 offbeat multi-flashes which really get one's attention.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:30 am

I ride a ton in the city, and use lights often.

Rear:. Serfas Thunderbolt. Bright! I use it during the day and night. You can see the thing from a mile away. Low and high blink modes.
https://www.serfas.com/shop/products ... t-usb/

Front, I use a Cygolite. I care most about being visible so people see me.before they pull out. These have a good high intensity blink mode. They also have good battery life.
https://cygolite.com/product/ ... usb/

Keep the rubber side down.

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:06 am

In addition to lights, please wear brightly colored (yellow, orange) clothing. Even in full daylight, a bike rider can "disappear" when riding through shaded areas and shadows along the roadside.

batpot

Post by batpot » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:09 am

The "heart" light
https://www.amazon.com/BAXIA-TECHNOLOGY ... B07JQ76PYF

But seriously, bought a different brand of these and they are plenty bright:
https://www.amazon.com/Akale-Rechargeab ... B07GXXLGWX
Like that they're USB rechargeable.

As a headlight it is marginal at slow speeds. Not safe for normal speeds.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:28 am

Do you need lights for visibility (being able to be seen in low light) or do you need them for illumination (being able to see in low light)? Or Both?

There is a difference. Much of the year I just use this set. Slow flash, fast flash or steady on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2 ... UTF8&psc=1

When it gets truly dark and I need to light the path, I have an LED set that runs off 3 AA batteries. Nothing expensive. The pair might have been $20.

I think you can buy sets for $10 or up to $300. I remove mine when I park at work during the cold to save batteries. So a set that can be removed quickly might be an option to look at.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:35 am

IMO wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:59 am

a) Rear blinking lite.
b) Front blinking lite.
d) I'd even get the inexpensive spoke lights or valve stem lights that make your wheels extremely visible (Used to get these for a couple bucks at walmart for my kid).

I agree that the rear light should be set to blink.
But is that really better for a front light? Where I ride at night the greatest risk related to a front light is probably hitting a pedestrian, or possibly an animal or inanimate object. I have thought about front light approach, but concluded that leaving it permanently on is probably better.
A strobing bright front light is extremely annoying and possibly disorienting to oncoming pedestrians, bikers, and probably drivers as well. Cars don't have strobing headlights so why should we? I don't think that is a problem with a red tail light.

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:25 am

Bontrager bike lights have two flashing modes: 1) bright on-off flash for day use; 2) Alternating dim with brighter flashes for night use. The night mode means even when it is flashing the road is always illuminated. They have a light sensitive setting that automatically switches between day and night mode.

I like the flashing setting for night even on my front light because a small bike light easily disappears among brighter car lights, whereas flashing is much more noticeable.

I always make sure it is aimed slightly down so as not to blind other road users.

IMO

Post by IMO » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:46 pm

protagonist wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:35 am
IMO wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:59 am

a) Rear blinking lite.
b) Front blinking lite.

I agree that the rear light should be set to blink.
But is that really better for a front light? Where I ride at night the greatest risk related to a front light is probably hitting a pedestrian, or possibly an animal or inanimate object. I have thought about front light approach, but concluded that leaving it permanently on is probably better.
A strobing bright front light is extremely annoying and possibly disorienting to oncoming pedestrians, bikers, and probably drivers as well. Cars don't have strobing headlights so why should we? I don't think that is a problem with a red tail light.
Actually having strobing front light is more common now with motorcycles (and yes not with cars). Why? Because they often are not seen by cars. I'd put a bicycle right in the same category or less when it comes to visibility.

Here's a news clip on the subject, ironically motorists were concerned because they thought they were being pulled over:
https://youtu.be/NJwTh6k0aZ0

Cars now have daytime running headlights. Why? So they are better seen. So I suppose all bikers even in daytime hours should start using a light during the day also.

I answered the post not as road cyclist, but instead as a motor vehicle driver that ALSO wants bikes to be visible because I don't ever want to hit someone by accident. The other night I saw someone with a blinking front light and thought "that is smart." Another poster says that the blinking front light would mean a driver would veer towards the light. That seems odd that as a motorist, I would cross over the center median/line to aim towards a blinking light, why? Bikes are supposed to ride with the same direction of traffic. They recommend pedestrians walk against traffic.

I've put these on my kids valve stems to make him visible riding his bike around the neighborhood at dusk:
https://youtu.be/ehmAQTW85ZI?t=44
Why don't normal cyclist don't put these things on at night?

The name of the game is to be seen. One driver not seeing you and the results can be life changing or life ending. There are many people on the road driving at night that might not have cat like reflexes and eagle vision, let to mention people having been drinking, smoking weed, taking opiates, and the ubiquitous cell phone user.

One is obviously free to choose what they decide to do for their personal night cycling safety.
Last edited by IMO on Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:51 pm

protagonist wrote:
A strobing bright front light is extremely annoying and possibly disorienting to oncoming pedestrians, bikers, and probably drivers as well.
You mean that it makes the observer of a strobing bright light THINK and WATCH OUT! That's EXACTLY what I want to happen.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:57 pm

I use Bontrager lights, rear and front for seeing and to be seen by others.

This light claims visibility up to 2km, one of the best in both daylight and night:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equi ... rCode=red

I use this all the time while I am riding, whether in groups or alone, except when I am on bike paths. It has 5 modes including flashing and non-flashing, I use flashing while on roads. I don't usually ride at night, but for the fall evenings and for the roads at daytime when I am alone, I use a head light from Bontrager which has 1000 lumens, one of the most powerful you can get.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equi ... rCode=grey

They are expensive, but worth it totally. Many drivers do not think of Cyclists, and many more are texting and driving. You need high quality powerful lights to see and be seen.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:19 pm

livesoft wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:51 pm
protagonist wrote:
A strobing bright front light is extremely annoying and possibly disorienting to oncoming pedestrians, bikers, and probably drivers as well.
You mean that it makes the observer of a strobing bright light THINK and WATCH OUT! That's EXACTLY what I want to happen.
Strobing front lights make it easier to be noticed , but that doesn't seem to be a huge problem on a dark road or bike path if you have a good front light.

That said, I have read that flashing front lights make it harder for others to judge your speed and distance (I think that is true in my own experience as well), which can diminish your safety and theirs. You have probably had the experience, if you ride on dark roads and bike paths, of encountering another biker coming towards you in the opposite direction with a blinking headlight. It is both very annoying and also can be disorienting and temporarily blinding so that you may not notice a pedestrian or an object in the road.
Automobile headlights, unlike bike lights (at least the way most people use them), are directed downward and focused so they don't blind others. Yet imagine driving or walking at night if the oncoming cars had bright flashing headlights.

Ultimately one has to balance the need for one's own safety and comfort against the safety and comfort of others on the road.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:50 pm

I do a Tuesday night ride with my bike club. For headlight a Nightrider Lumina model. For the rear any rechargeable blinky should be fine.

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:18 pm

sschoe2 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:50 pm
I do a Tuesday night ride with my bike club. For headlight a Nightrider Lumina model. For the rear any rechargeable blinky should be fine.
If you do any serious ride on the road then you need more than just any light that blinks. You need something like the Flash-R I linked above that can be seen by motorists on the road for a good distance. The problem is many people text and drive, you need to get enough space between the bike and them with a range long enough to capture their attention in time.

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:22 pm

A bright, strobing front light might be better for the daytime/dusk, but when it's dark out I want a solid front light. I need to see the path/road in front of me. Rears (I have 3, two that are visible from the sides as well) are all blinkies.

You HAVE to have lights when you're riding at night. I'm amazed at the number of people I see doing it - lights are cheap, and you're nearly invisible without them. That's where your death statistics at night are coming from. I don't feel particularly uncomfortable riding at night, because I'm more visible than during the daytime. My biggest fear is cars that forgot to turn their headlights on.
Retirement investing is a marathon.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:24 pm

Mine is a few years old but still works good as new.
https://road.cc/content/review/109706-n ... ront-light
I also use it as a general-purpose flashlight.
I purchased it from the bike shop two miles from my house.

The tail light is a bontrager flare flashy thing. Pretty cheap.

Rowan Oak

Post by Rowan Oak » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:28 pm

livesoft wrote:
protagonist wrote:
I agree. Annoy the hell out of oncoming traffic.

I live in a pedestrian friendly neighborhood with wide roads and sidewalks, but it's still hard to see people walking or riding bikes evening and night. The other night I saw a bright shinning reflection like I had not seen before and when I got closer I could see it was a couple walking with head to toe reflective clothing. Unless your eyes are closed or you're staring at your phone you could not miss them. Very good idea.
“If you can get good at destroying your own wrong ideas, that is a great gift.” – Charlie Munger

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:42 pm

Rear: I use a Portland Design Works (PDW) Danger Zone USB. Very bright. Visible during the day too. Several blinking patterns to choose from, plus steady.

Front: Serfas eLume 850. Absurdly bright. I never ride using the highest setting. (I've actually used it as a general-purpose flashlight on many occasions and have used it to light up and entire room during power outages!)
Stay on target...

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:46 pm

Oh, and the other thing I did was buy a roll of retro-reflective tape. (I bought Oralite, but there are several good brands.)

I stuck that stuff everywhere. On my frame. On the inside of my rims. On my helmet. Whenever car headlights hit me, I look like something out of "Tron". :D
Stay on target...

sutemi

Post by sutemi » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:26 pm

I wear a Lumos helmet and love it. It is USB rechargeable, integrated lighting in the helmet. Syncs with my phone so I can easily tell the charge level. This is for riding in the city, where I am using lights to be seen but not to illuminate the road. Lights are bright enough for daylight lighting. I pair it with bright colored clothing that I have sewn extra reflective strips on.

Edit: I"ve been told that as a short woman, having a light up high makes me more visible than below my seat.

Pinotage

Post by Pinotage » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:15 pm

protagonist wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:19 pm
livesoft wrote:
protagonist wrote:
Strobing front lights make it easier to be noticed , but that doesn't seem to be a huge problem on a dark road or bike path if you have a good front light.

That said, I have read that flashing front lights make it harder for others to judge your speed and distance (I think that is true in my own experience as well), which can diminish your safety and theirs. You have probably had the experience, if you ride on dark roads and bike paths, of encountering another biker coming towards you in the opposite direction with a blinking headlight. It is both very annoying and also can be disorienting and temporarily blinding so that you may not notice a pedestrian or an object in the road.
Automobile headlights, unlike bike lights (at least the way most people use them), are directed downward and focused so they don't blind others. Yet imagine driving or walking at night if the oncoming cars had bright flashing headlights.

Ultimately one has to balance the need for one's own safety and comfort against the safety and comfort of others on the road.
Agree with protagonist. Well reasoned and well said.

Sharing the road also means not creating a nuisance/safety issue for other users of the road.

This reminds me of the thread where the OP wanted a mega powered air horn in his car.

c.coyle

Post by c.coyle » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:21 pm

JupiterJones wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:42 pm
Rear: I use a Portland Design Works (PDW) Danger Zone USB. Very bright. Visible during the day too. Several blinking patterns to choose from, plus steady.

Front: Serfas eLume 850. Absurdly bright. I never ride using the highest setting. (I've actually used it as a general-purpose flashlight on many occasions and have used it to light up and entire room during power outages!)
I am also a big fan of Portland Design Works. https://ridepdw.com/

I have their Radbot 1000 tailights on both bikes.
VTSAX - 40%, VTIAX - 10%, VBTLX - 50%