New iPad

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
karpems

New iPad

Post by karpems » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:04 pm

Hey All,

I am torn. I need a new iPad with cellular service. Right now I have a 1st generation iPad pro without cellular. It is a fantastic device. With the new iPad being released, is it worth paying the premium for the iPad pro or just get the new regular iPad?

Thanks!

50ismygoal

Re: New iPad

Post by 50ismygoal » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:29 pm

If you have a first gen iPad, any of the newer models will be revolutionary for you. I just bought an iPad Air, and I love it. Visit an Apple store and play around with each model.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:33 pm

That depends:

What will you primarily use it for?
If just for checking email and web browsing, I say no.
A new ipad will do just fine for this.

Do you have/use an Apple pencil now?
If yes, the first gen pencil will not work on the new IpadPro 12”.
I used a pencil on my 2nd gen ipadpro, but traded it in for a 2018 12” ipadpro...pencil NOT compatible.
I have not purchased the new apple pencil.

My 2018 ipadpro does not have cellular; I use my iphone hotspot to hook up my ipadpro to the internet.

If I need to do anything requiring a pencil, I use my Surface Pro 6.
This is a very good “computer”; something the ipadpro is not AFAIC

Good Luck with your choice.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:08 pm

I have a first generation iPad Pro - the 9.7 one. I don’t use the pencil or the smart keyboard but the one feature that I really really like on the Pros is the four speaker audio. I watch a lot of music videos on my iPad as well as stream sports and it makes a big difference. However, it was only $200 more than the iPad Air 2 at the time plus it was under $500 so it’s a little different than the current models.

It’s all going to come down to what you want to use it for.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:41 am

Like others say, it really depends on what you use it for.

The new 10.2” iPad is hard to beat value-wise. It will work with your existing Apple Pencil for the first gen Pro if you have one.

The big advantages to the newest Pro models are, IMO, the larger screen which comes in a much more compact body, the new charging method for the new Pencil, and the new Smart keyboards which enclose the iPad like a book and are much easier to use and more stable. Also the 120Hz screen is noticeable (although it will just make every other device you own look bad in comparison. Sometimes better not to see these things at all :happy ) USB-C is also nice because charging is super fast and I now carry 1 small charger for my laptop, phone, and iPad.

I wonder though why you NEED cellular? I’ve been buying Wi-Fi iPads for years because I always have my iPhone in my pocket and it takes less than 5 seconds to connect the two.

piperkub

Post by piperkub » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:20 am

My wife and I both had earlier Ipads with the cellular connection. After "not using" the cellular feature after the first month we had them both disconnected. The expense didn't provide any benefits! Now using newer versions without cell feature, there is rarely a time you're out of sight of a wi-fi. When you need a wi-fi connection use the Iphone hot-spot feature which gives you wifi without the expenses or newer GM cars come with a wifi feature internal using the NavStar.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:08 am

The iPad pro and iPad air has an external magnetic connector for their propietary keyboard which is fantastic and they are compatible with their pencil. If you have no need for either, just get the standard iPad + cellular.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:17 am

karpems wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:04 pm
Hey All,

I am torn. I need a new iPad with cellular service. Right now I have a 1st generation iPad pro without cellular. It is a fantastic device. With the new iPad being released, is it worth paying the premium for the iPad pro or just get the new regular iPad?

Thanks!
I'm no lover of Apple (personal prejudice) but I just bought a 12.9" iPad Pro for sheet music management and I love it....nothing else compares for my needs.

The new (3d gen) ones are $1000 plus tax but I bought a "renewed" 2d gen one from Amazon for about $400 with cellular- usually around $500 but check- and they didn't charge tax....as far as I can tell it is new....not even a scratch....great battery life and OEM charger..... The only major advantage to me of the 3d gen vs 2d gen is that it uses USB-C (one of my issues with Apple is all of its proprietary stuff....for example, as far as I can tell if I wanted to watch videos on my iPad through my TV I would have to buy a $50-60 proprietary lightning-HDMI dongle from Apple, or spend even more on "Apple TV".) However the 2d gen has a headphone jack which was dropped (!!) in the 3d gen.

You could take a chance on an Amazon renewed product and return it if you are dissatisfied, so there is no real risk. I saved about $700 that way over buying a new one and am very pleased. I chose the provider with the best Amazon reviews at the time and with Amazon Fulfillment (it seemed less risky to me)- got it within two days with Prime.
The iPadOS should be released any day now and if I read correctly it will make your machine much more compatible with external devices (I assume thumb drives and hard drives), which may obviate the need to buy an iPad with large storage capacity. Hopefully all you will need is a USB to lightning cable.

ernieM

Post by ernieM » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:24 am

My suggestion is to compare some of the iPad pros with the latest iPad Air.....the latter's specs are not-too-shabby IMHO. OTOH, I have to reiterate the comments about the iPad Pro 4-speaker system. I have a few other iPads as well, but the 4 speaker system really makes a big difference.....if that matters to you. My 10.5" iPad Pro is my default music-listening device when I'm on my Mac or iPad.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:37 am

karpems wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:04 pm
Hey All,

Thanks!
Why do you "need" a new iPad OR cellular service? Are you currently tethering to your cell phone? What are you doing that needs so much connection all the time?

If you're using it that much with a cellular plan, definitely go pro! And you probably should go the larger 12.9" unless size is a liability. The A12 processors are a little faster now and will be a lot faster when future upgrades and new apps slow down the A10 processors.

https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

Think of it this way, the cost of the device will be less than the cost of service.

BTW, big difference between Original iPad and original iPad PRO. If you were going from an Original iPad to the latest 12.9 PRO, you would be seeing a weight reduction! The extra weight for cellular went down from 50 grams to only 2 grams! And thickness reduced by more than half, from 13.4mm down to 5.9mm! What a difference a decade in technology shrinkage makes, not to mention a myriad of other improvements!

Wi-Fi model: 1.5 lb (680 g), Wi-Fi + 3G model: 1.6 lb (730 g) vs Wi-Fi: 631 g (1.391 lb), Wi-Fi + Cellular 633 g (1.396 lb)
9.56 in × 7.47 in × 0.528 in (242.8 mm × 189.7 mm × 13.4 mm) vs. 280.6 mm (11.05 in) (h) 214.9 mm (8.46 in) (w) 5.9 mm (0.23 in) (d)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad#Model_comparison