Calling all iPhone SE Bogleheads

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
an_asker

Calling all iPhone SE Bogleheads

Post by an_asker » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:52 pm

I would think that this phone is what the majority of Bogleheaddom has. It is the least expensive iPhone (I think) and has enough bells and whistles to meet most needs. On the how old is your cellphone thread, I saw at least three of you with iPhone SEs :-)

We've purchased a few SEs in our household. But our college freshman DS has decided that he is too advanced to be tied down with an SE and has gone ahead with one of the latest ones.

I didn't respond on that thread because I have no clue how old any of these phones is (and I'm not raring to find out either), as we've got them all used!

banhbao

Re: Calling all iPhone SE Bogleheads

Post by banhbao » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:23 pm

I suspect there are a lot of women out there who prefer a smaller phone. For some reason, cell phones started out big, got small, now the trend is big again. It's not possible to fit a 5+ inch screen (or 6+ nowadays) in the pocket if you are petite.

That's the main reason my wife chose this phone (and not so much cost).

nydoc

Post by nydoc » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:31 pm

Happy and satisfied user of iPhone SE for the last 3 years.

Pursuitofquality

Post by Pursuitofquality » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:39 pm

Love my iPhone SE! Hopefully I can get a few more years out of it.

Beecee83

Post by Beecee83 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:42 pm

:beer checking in, I have one and find it great. I use my iPad if I want to watch videos etc so it works for me and the cost is great.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:47 pm

would be my choice, but my 54 year old eyes need a bigger screen unfortunately

Invisi8

Post by Invisi8 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Very happy SE user for 3 years. Not going to change phone until Apple releases a new “small” size again. Yes, even if that means I won’t update to iOS 14 and beyond. Fits in my pocket, usable w/ single hand, still has headphone jack.

If Apple does release same external dimensions sized phone I’ll probably upgrade, even though it will surely be without headphone jack. Until then though, no thanks!

OrderAndChaos

Post by OrderAndChaos » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:37 pm

I have had mine for 3.5 years. Love the size! I would be happy with a slightly updated camera, faster processor, better battery and water resistance.

With that, I'd accept a slightly thicker design, but I want my phone that I have with me at all times to be able to fit in my pocket comfortably. I see people with half of the phone sticking out of their back pocket and wonder how it hasn't been broken or stolen.

Topic Author
an_asker

Post by an_asker » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:40 pm

OrderAndChaos wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:37 pm
I have had mine for 3.5 years. Love the size! I would be happy with a slightly updated camera, faster processor, better battery and water resistance.

With that, I'd accept a slightly thicker design, but I want my phone that I have with me at all times to be able to fit in my pocket comfortably. I see people with half of the phone sticking out of their back pocket and wonder how it hasn't been broken or stolen.
I have mine encased in an Otterbox. Makes it thick enough LOL!!

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:45 pm

op there has been a rumor there will be producing an SE2, nevertheless here is good summary the current status

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/09 ... -time-soon

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:49 pm

What was the question again?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

sbaywriter

Post by sbaywriter » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:54 pm

I like the smaller size phone for my uses.I've been using SE for 3 years but this is second one - the first one I got 16gb which wasn't quite enough and then I dropped it and cracked the screen and the replacement screen never worked as well. Then I switched to consumer cellular last year and they were selling 32 GB for $125 so I got that as a replacement. I use it for texting, phone calls, and reading ebooksbut not for web browsing, too small for that. If I still traveled would want something bigger.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:21 pm

Got a Rose Gold iPhone SE. :happy :happy :happy

EZ James

Post by EZ James » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:42 pm

Gave away my 6s + in favor of the SE from Tracfone nearly 3 yrs ago. The smaller size and weight makes it a much better toy for my use. And running 13.1 beta 3 in dark mode makes it better yet.

Meant to say IOS 13.1 beta 3

treypar

Post by treypar » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:51 pm

I really like my iPhone SE. It is the perfect size and fits in my pocket easily. It does all the things that I need from a smart phone. I will continue to use mine until it dies. I do not need a big phone sticking out of my back pocket. Hope that Apple will make a new model of this phone.

stuper1

Post by stuper1 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:55 pm

Mine works great. Don't want a big phone.

Bmac

Post by Bmac » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:05 pm

Devoted SE user until 3 weeks ago. However, the storage in the 16 GB version was constantly nearly full. So I made the leap to an XR. Always thought I would hate the large size, but it turns out it fits fine in my pockets and is easier to see. It’s hilarious how small my wife’s SE seems now if I pick it up.

foamypirate

Post by foamypirate » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:12 pm

Bmac wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:05 pm
Devoted SE user until 3 weeks ago. However, the storage in the 16 GB version was constantly nearly full. So I made the leap to an XR. Always thought I would hate the large size, but it turns out it fits fine in my pockets and is easier to see. It’s hilarious how small my wife’s SE seems now if I pick it up.
I went through this exact same progression (just bought the Xr today, actually), for the same reason. I got tired of the phone offloading apps I had just used because it was out of space. Definitely still getting used to the larger size of the Xr, but I am grateful for the extra storage and much better battery life.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:15 pm

My old eyes need a large screen.

danwhite77

Post by danwhite77 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:15 pm

I don't use the SE but when Apple ran a clearance of some SEs a few months ago I snatched up two for our son and daughter to use (after purchasing them from us at a slight discount, of course!). If Apple ever updates the guts of the SE and releases an updated version I would strongly consider getting one. I have large hands but I've always found that form factor the most comfortable.
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." - Dedication to Jack Bogle in 'The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing'.

kevinpet

Post by kevinpet » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:22 pm

banhbao wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:23 pm
I suspect there are a lot of women out there who prefer a smaller phone. For some reason, cell phones started out big, got small, now the trend is big again. It's not possible to fit a 5+ inch screen (or 6+ nowadays) in the pocket if you are petite.

That's the main reason my wife chose this phone (and not so much cost).
Surprises me as a man. One of the things I like about the SE is that it fits in my pocket, while if I carried a purse, the size would be less of a concern. Perhaps I'm revealing my age as I realize looking around the office, not that many younger women carry purses.

dadu007

Post by dadu007 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:22 pm

I had an iPhone 6S+, and after using it for a year, I decided it was just too big. My son wanted it anyway, and so I got an SE when they were on discount. I love it! Mostly for the size and speed. I'm a small guy, so it fits my hands. The rumor is they may make an updated version for release in 2020. I'm interested!

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:26 pm

Love my SE but I am thinking about a 7, it is only a half inch longer and Apple is clearancing them on the website: $499

I feel that I want to run iOS 14 to keep everything current.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

Bogle7

time to move ahead

Post by Bogle7 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:32 pm

OrderAndChaos wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:37 pm
I like the size. Fits in my big hands perfectly.
Only care about a better camera. Need better Yelp photos; LOL.
I think I am going to buy an 11 Pro in November.
Apple is not going to make a “small” iPhone again. The world believes bigger is better.
My ideal iPhone would be a mashup of a Leica Q and a phone for $1000. Not going to happen.

Mickey7

Post by Mickey7 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:40 pm

The SE works for me.

jcar

Post by jcar » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:44 pm

an_asker wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:52 pm
I would think that this phone is what the majority of Bogleheaddom has. It is the least expensive iPhone (I think) and has enough bells and whistles to meet most needs. On the how old is your cellphone thread, I saw at least three of you with iPhone SEs :-)

We've purchased a few SEs in our household. But our college freshman DS has decided that he is too advanced to be tied down with an SE and has gone ahead with one of the latest ones.

I didn't respond on that thread because I have no clue how old any of these phones is (and I'm not raring to find out either), as we've got them all used!

I've owned the SE 30 months now and quite happy. My only gripe is it will not cou t stairs climbed like other I phones. I love the size.

catdude

Post by catdude » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:17 pm

David Jay wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:26 pm
Love my SE but I am thinking about a 7, it is only a half inch longer and Apple is clearancing them on the website: $499
Consumer Cellular has it for $300....

https://www.consumercellular.com/Products/748/Details
catdude | | "Only in America." (Yogi Berra, after being told that the mayor of Catholic Dublin was Jewish)

DameTime

Post by DameTime » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:28 pm

64gb SE the last two years. Bought it used at a great price. It’s starting to show its age and the batter life is terrible, needing at least one or two charges a day. The battery health app says 86% which is not encouraging, Just about ready to move on, begrudgingly.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:34 pm

My wife and I both bought ours at the same time two years ago: $199 brand new at Target with 32 GBytes of storage. They had only two left and they were the same color. We have different cases so we can tell them apart. I got a black OtterBox and she got something prettier.

We like the size, I can fit mine in my shirt pocket. I’ll keep it until its operating system can’t be updated anymore. We use them with TracFone: We pay $6.55/month each for the plan and we never use all of our minutes/texts.
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cheryl604

Post by Cheryl604 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:57 am

Love my SE! Hope they release another smaller phone in the future.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:01 am

My wife's SE functioned better than my 5S, until my 5S died a couple weeks ago and I got an IPhone 7. We recently moved to a house with spotty cell coverage from Verizon, and use the Wi-Fi on our 200 mg internet connection to make and receive calls in and around the house. The Wi-Fi improved reception on the 7 significantly but the SE somewhat less, to a point where it's more of a brick than a phone at times.

I'm considering the purchase of a Verizon signal extender for about $250 because neither phone has great reception. It's either that or get my wife a new phone, and hoping she gets used to the huge difference in size. The salesman at the VZ store said we wouldn't need the extender because of the Wi-Fi, which displays on both phones next to the signal strength of one bar as Verizon-WiFi. The WiFi doesn't activate if the signal strength climbs to 2 bars, which causes dropped calls when the signal fades. Visitors with any other carrier have even worse reception here unless they use our WiFi.

Any suggestions?

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:29 am

We've had two SEs for two and a half years. One was a refurb, the other new. I like the form factor, but the eyes are getting to the point where my next phone will be a bit bigger.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.

danwhite77

Post by danwhite77 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:54 am

David Jay wrote:
But iOS 13 isn't even out yet?

Should be soon though.....
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." - Dedication to Jack Bogle in 'The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing'.

SchruteB&B

Post by SchruteB&B » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:13 am

David Jay wrote:
I see $399 for the cheapest 7 in apple clearance

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:16 am

danwhite77 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:54 am
David Jay wrote:
But iOS 13 isn't even out yet?

Should be soon though.....
My bad - 13, not 14
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:28 am

Not sure what the question is but I don't know if I would agree with your statement that iphone SE is the phone of choice for bogleheads. A lot of bogleheads opt for much less expensive Android based phones that give you better performance for less money and then the bogleheads that aren't concerned with spending money go for either a higher end iphone or a higher end Android based phone.

donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:41 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:28 am
Not sure what the question is but I don't know if I would agree with your statement that iphone SE is the phone of choice for bogleheads. A lot of bogleheads opt for much less expensive Android based phones that give you better performance for less money and then the bogleheads that aren't concerned with spending money go for either a higher end iphone or a higher end Android based phone.
There's the low end iPhone option as well, which is what I generally do. One can get a 2-3 year old modeled iPhone (new, just older modeled) for less than $200 or right around there.

I did this for the SE in fact. Bought it two years ago for $159 new, still love it and wish Apple would make a newer model in the smaller size. Doubt they ever do again.

jcar

Post by jcar » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:48 am

Love the SE, especially the size. For some reason it will not count the stairs climbed like other phones however. Has anyone found a way to make the SE count stairs climbed? Thanks.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:54 am

I'm using a 5s. I'm hoping Apple comes out with a SE2. Otherwise I do not know what I'll do when I have to replace this one. I guess I'll buy whatever the smallest phone Apple offers is, or jump platforms!

LongRoad

Post by LongRoad » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:00 am

David Jay wrote:

Another option is the 8 -- same form factor as the 7 but with incremental improvements and probably an extra year of support.

$449 for an unlocked version at https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-8, plus you have the option to trade in your SE for $45 back if you won't be using it.

EDIT to add: If you're really just interested in iOS 13, then despite some early reports to the contrary, iOS 13 WILL be available on the SE.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:18 am

LongRoad wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:00 am
David Jay wrote:

Another option is the 8 -- same form factor as the 7 but with incremental improvements and probably an extra year of support.

$449 for an unlocked version at https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-8, plus you have the option to trade in your SE for $45 back if you won't be using it.
iPhone 8 pricing just dropped from $599 to $449. As you point out, with the trade in of a good working condition SE, David Jay could be out the door - and if he keeps the 8 for 4 years- at cost of just 27 cents per day. IMO, people get far too caught up in the device cost, when the majority of the cost of phone ownership actually is the connectivity (cell plan).

The new photography features in iOS 13 will not work on phones below the iPhone X models due to the cameras in the older phones. That may or may not be important to an individual, but these devices are a phone, a camera, and a computer. Choose appropriately.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

rich126

Post by rich126 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:00 am

Although I'm a computer person, I'm not 100% what phone I have. I'm pretty sure it is the iPhone 6. When Apple had the $29 battery replacement, I did that a year or two ago. The big screens are too big to fit in my pocket. I'll look around at getting a new phone in the next year or so.

I just can't accept paying a ton for a phone. Too easy for them to break or get lost (fortunately I haven't had that happen yet). Also I don't need it for work and use it mostly when I travel, commutes (Waze+radio.com/MLB.com). Usually, due to security reasons, most of my jobs don't allow the phone in the office.

OrderAndChaos

Post by OrderAndChaos » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:02 am

jcar wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:48 am
Love the SE, especially the size. For some reason it will not count the stairs climbed like other phones however. Has anyone found a way to make the SE count stairs climbed? Thanks.
The SE doesn't have a barometer, which is requred to count stairs climbed. If you pair it with an Apple Watch, however, the stair count will be recorded.

Adventure2FI

Post by Adventure2FI » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:21 am

I've had mine for 1.5 years, still looks mint and is a pocket-wonder with one-handed text and all day life. My portfolio also appreciates it! :moneybag
“The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.” – Warren Buffett

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:27 am

Just bought the reduced price Iphone 8 128GB and will be trading in my 6S 64GB (which is starting to fill up, 19GB left). Thought about the XR (always having battery issues, would be a stress reducer) but the larger size and no touch-ID pushed me to the Iphone 8. I would've preferred saving a few bucks and getting the 7 but no longer an option...

azanon

Post by azanon » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:52 am

I have an iphone SE, and I agree with several of the comments about it being hard to see a lot of things on it with older eyes (like mine), but I went with a different solution to that:

I just got a newer (current) iPad Air, to do all of the heavy lifting for reading, investing apps (like Vanguard), use at the horserace track, etc. and my iphone SE is primarily regulated to just calling people and texting, and the occasional snapshot.

So consider small phone + tablet instead of just a big phone. You might like that better.....

Joeinfla

Post by Joeinfla » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:06 pm

64gb iPhone SE here! Bought in 2017 from cricket for $200! I love the form factor of the phone. Battery was starting to show it's bad side a month or so ago. Apple replaced the battery for $49, as the $29 battery replacement promotion has expired. Bought a new crave case from Amazon, and phone is like new!!! It's a mini workhorse, and just keeps going!

mxs

Post by mxs » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:58 pm

It looks like size wise, the SE is the smallest form still supported. Then you move up to the 6s, 7, and 8 which are a little bigger and all roughly the same size. One more move up, mostly in length, is the X, XS, and 11 Pro. Then XR and 11 share the size after that. Last are the 6s/7/8 pluses, XS Max, and 11 Pro Max. I am considering replacing our SE with an 8. Anyone have phones/sizes I missed?

*Edit* 6 and 6 plus are no longer supported.

eob616

Post by eob616 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:11 am

Crossing my fingers for my SE to last as long as possible.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:03 am

I bought my SE with 64GB memory for $154 on eBay. Works perfectly, and that was as much I wanted to spend on a phone. I had a 5S but with 16GB memory it was impossible.