How old is your cellphone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
furwut

Re: How old is your cellphone?

Post by furwut »

MortgageOnBlack wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:13 pm Currently running an iPhone 6 (purchased December 2014) With software support ending on it shortly, I’m starting to get the itch to pull the trigger on a new device, but I would hate to do so because my device is still working.

Do other bogleheads push their devices past their software support? Any concerns about security? What old phone do you have?
While you will not be able to upgrade your phone to the next version of iOS it may not be the case you are losing support altogether. Apple has, on occasion, patched older versions of iOS to address critical security issues.

I have an iPhone 6s. Personally I’m inclined to wait for a phone with 5G to “future proof” my purchase for the next 5 years. Probably won’t even sign up for 5G service right out of the gate.
skp

Post by skp »

tomd37 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:57 pm My flip-phone is at least 16 years old and I do not have any intentions to replace it with this new stuff out now. Still works fine and meets my needs. :wink:
My husbands isn't quite that old only 12. We decided to be a one smart phone family in case we got lost. :)
furwut

Post by furwut »

fposte wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:30 pm Four years old, iPhone 6S. I love my phone. However, I have small hands and joint issues, so I'm going to avoid upgrading as long as possible, since all upgrades would be bigger and heavier.
The iPhone 8 is the same size and it is now Apple’s budget priced phone in their current lineup. You should even be able to reuse your existing phone case if you have one.
Last edited by furwut on Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
skp

Post by skp »

megabad wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:02 pm
LiterallyIronic wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:52 pm
megabad wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:38 pm Side note: I can usually judge an "old phone" person by the type of case they have.
What can you tell about us few who don't put their phone in a case?
One or all of the following:
1) they have loads of money
2) they have phone insurance (see loads of money above)
3) they don't plan on keeping phone long
4) they are vain
I don't have mine in a case for a different reason. I upgraded last year to a smart phone and the reception was so much worse than my flip phone that I had to call customer service. They told me smart phones have internal antennas and I would get better reception if I took it out of it's case.
furwut

Post by furwut »

megabad wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:38 pm Side note: I can usually judge an "old phone" person by the type of case they have.
You like to live dangerously?
fposte

Post by fposte »

furwut wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:16 pm
fposte wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:30 pm Four years old, iPhone 6S. I love my phone. However, I have small hands and joint issues, so I'm going to avoid upgrading as long as possible, since all upgrades would be bigger and heavier.
The iPhone 8 is the same size and it is now Apple’s budget priced phone in their current lineup. You should even be able to reuse your existing phone case if you have one.
Huh, somehow I'd missed that. Thanks for the info!
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

I have an iPhone 6S that I purchased new from Apple in 2018 (they were dumping unsold inventory). That replaced a $199 refurbished 5S that was destroyed in a hot tub incident that I bought in 2016.

I will keep this phone until it either dies or is similarly consumed by a ravenous hot tub. Since I expect to “retire” soon, I likely will not replace it with another smartphone. Rather, I will return to an emergency-only dumb phone as I had from 2012-16.
czr

Post by czr »

Samsung Galaxy S9, 1 year old and buy every 2 years. People don't like spending on phones but I find value in having better technology, more RAM, faster processor, better front and back camera, updated software because I am that much more productive personally and financially and faster with a newer phone and after selling the old phone it comes down to only $8 in depreciation costs. Will do it again when 5G is widely available.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Alchemist wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:44 am
Greg24 wrote: My Philosophy: BUY NEW, MAINTAIN & KEEP FOREVER! That's the only way to get the most value for your retail dollar.
This is not viable for digital products connected to the internet. Yes, you can keep them for much longer than average. I have an iPhone XR that replaced an iPhone 6 that I had for four years. I have a 2014 MacBook Pro that I keep updated to the latest editions of MacOS. But there is a limit where the software gap makes something effectively "dead" for the purposes of security. This is really, really important.
I wanted to echo this. You can safely keep using a device as long as it receives regular updates. Apple devices purchased when they are at least somewhat new will tend to have a decent lifespan in this context, because Apple is actually pretty good about supporting legacy devices--to a point. Android is a little greyer, and varies by manufacturer. Samsung is ok. Google and Motorola both used to be awesome, but have been dropping support disappointingly soon lately.

I'll put a caveat here for limited-use devices. My LG V20, which is now retired from cellular duties, will serve as a media player in my home as long as it keeps working, because its Quad DAC has fantastic sound quality compared to pretty much anything else. It only lives on a protected network, and has been completely wiped with only a small number of audio apps loaded. So the risk is minimal. But no way is it a long term daily driver smartphone.
Last edited by lazydavid on Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casimir

Post by Casimir »

I have the iPhone 5 purchased new from Apple Store.

Just after one year warranty expiration the phone battery swelled, lifting up the screen. Apple replaced the phone without charge. I was surprised.

The battery failed a second time and I replaced it at a Batteries Plus store.

This phone runs iOS 10.3.4 and will not work with the following:

A. The Ring doorbell and camera which works with my wife's phone.

B. The ATT rep advised my phone will not work with their call blocking and spam call app.

The phone bumper has received serious damage but the iPhone 5 lives without a scratch or chip to this day.

It's a keeper until it dies or I find some additional reasons to upgrade with the new 5G phones
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

I have a 15 year-old flip-phone.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
Blues

Post by Blues »

iPhone 5c. I plan to use it until it's no longer viable. Not used for banking or finance. Simply as a phone, texts, convenience, music, images etc.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Casimir wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:21 pm I have the iPhone 5 purchased new from Apple Store.

Just after one year warranty expiration the phone battery swelled, lifting up the screen. Apple replaced the phone without charge. I was surprised.

The battery failed a second time and I replaced it at a Batteries Plus store.

This phone runs iOS 10.3.4 and will not work with the following:

A. The Ring doorbell and camera which works with my wife's phone.

B. The ATT rep advised my phone will not work with their call blocking and spam call app.

The phone bumper has received serious damage but the iPhone 5 lives without a scratch or chip to this day.

It's a keeper until it dies or I find some additional reasons to upgrade with the new 5G phones
Unless you never use Safari (maybe delete it?) I would not recommend running 10.3.4. Upgrade to an iPhone 7 or later so you can get the latest security patches.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
finite_difference

skp wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:14 pm
tomd37 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:57 pm My flip-phone is at least 16 years old and I do not have any intentions to replace it with this new stuff out now. Still works fine and meets my needs. :wink:
My husbands isn't quite that old only 12. We decided to be a one smart phone family in case we got lost. :)
I’m amazed the hinge would last so long. I imagine light use or repairs would be necessary. Do you keeps it in a glass case?
finite_difference

lazydavid wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:18 pm
Alchemist wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:44 am
Greg24 wrote: My Philosophy: BUY NEW, MAINTAIN & KEEP FOREVER! That's the only way to get the most value for your retail dollar.
This is not viable for digital products connected to the internet. Yes, you can keep them for much longer than average. I have an iPhone XR that replaced an iPhone 6 that I had for four years. I have a 2014 MacBook Pro that I keep updated to the latest editions of MacOS. But there is a limit where the software gap makes something effectively "dead" for the purposes of security. This is really, really important.
I wanted to echo this. You can safely keep using a device as long as it receives regular updates. Apple devices purchased when they are at least somewhat new will tend to have a decent lifespan in this context, because Apple is actually pretty good about supporting legacy devices--to a point. Android is a little greyer, and varies by manufacturer. Samsung is ok. Google and Motorola both used to be awesome, but have been dropping support disappointingly soon lately.

I'll put a caveat here for limited-use devices. My LG V20, which is now retired from cellular duties, will serve as a media player in my home as long as it keeps working, because its Quad DAC has fantastic sound quality compared to pretty much anything else. It only lives on a protected network, and has been completely wiped with only a small number of audio apps loaded. So the risk is minimal. But no way is it a long term daily driver smartphone.
+1. If you are using an iPhone 5 or earlier and use Safari, you better upgrade to an iPhone 7 or newer. iPhone 6 and 6s are still supported but may be deprecated in a year or two.)
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

I have a Pixel 1 that is a little over 2 years old. I am going to have to replace the battery soon otherwise I see no reason to get a new phone in the near future.
GatorFL

Post by GatorFL »

I have had my iphone 6s for 4 years this month. I bought 4 of them for my family at the time (had 2 kids in college then).

My 2 kids are on their own now, and have upgraded. My wife and I continue to putter along with the 6s with no issues.

I bought Lifeproof cases for all of them, and I am on my 3rd case now. The nice thing about Lifeproof is that replacement cases are free. I took the case apart last month for the 3rd replacement, and the iphone still looks brand new.

I don't trust Apple in terms of updates, and typically only update when an App I need won't run any longer. Apple has been fined in the past for intentionally slowing down older model phones with iOS updates.

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-and-sam ... h-updates/

I like the 6s and have no need for features on the later model phones. I am hoping to get another 4 years out of the phone.
Gator
skp

Post by skp »

finite_difference wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:41 am
skp wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:14 pm
I’m amazed the hinge would last so long. I imagine light use or repairs would be necessary. Do you keeps it in a glass case?
We've never had to get it repaired. It's in it's original "pleather" case
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

An iPhone 7 costs $400 for large screen and less for smaller screen.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
BelfastFlyer

Post by BelfastFlyer »

Samsung s6 since launch. It's slowed down a bit and the battery needs an additional charge during the day.. but it more than meets my needs. I'll have it until it dies and then move to a moto G
flyphotoguy

Post by flyphotoguy »

Iphone 6 bought used a few years back... still working and won't replace till something happens to it.
GeMoney

Post by GeMoney »

I have a LG Tribute HD that I purchased on Black Friday in 2016 for $20.00. I also have a used LG V20 that I purchased a year ago that I only use as a audio player
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

I am rocking a Blu R1 HD purchased for $60 in December 2016. I am looking for a reason to get rid of it but it is still running strong.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

sschoe2 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:47 am I have a Pixel 1 that is a little over 2 years old. I am going to have to replace the battery soon otherwise I see no reason to get a new phone in the near future.
I was looking at purchasing a used Pixel but the videos I saw on battery replacement looked above my pay grade. That's not going to be an easy one to replace.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

1 year old. Wife and I got iPhone XS's last holiday season. It's a fantastic comput...phone, and I'm excited to keep it till 5G becomes mainstream.
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

aristotelian wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:50 pm
sschoe2 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:47 am I have a Pixel 1 that is a little over 2 years old. I am going to have to replace the battery soon otherwise I see no reason to get a new phone in the near future.
I was looking at purchasing a used Pixel but the videos I saw on battery replacement looked above my pay grade. That's not going to be an easy one to replace.
No It is $80 at YoubreakIfix. In addition to undoing and redoing the glue that holds the screen on you have to take a ton of stuff apart. Next cell phone I buy will have easy to replace batteries which severely limits my options.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

7 plus, debating getting the new iPhone pro max, but not happy that Verizon is giving me $200 tradein, but new customers $500 for the same phone, shouldn't a customer of 20 years get rewarded more than a newbie?
Rowan Oak

Post by Rowan Oak »

greg24 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:16 pm I also have a Windows 7 machine at home.

No concerns about security.
Concern should begin January 15, 2020. Or simply disconnect from the internet.
Last edited by Rowan Oak on Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you can get good at destroying your own wrong ideas, that is a great gift.” – Charlie Munger
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 bought in early 2014. It has a removable battery which I've replaced several times over the years for $15.
MichCPA

Post by MichCPA »

iPhone X, recently replaced under warranty due to a bulging battery. That unit was 18 months old.
frugalmama

Post by frugalmama »

khh wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:23 pm T-Mobile flip phone over 15 years old. The sim card in that phone came from a mid-90s Nokia.
That is impressive!

Galaxy S5...Got it in 2014 so 5 years. We have no plans to buy a new one until it entirely konks out. No security concerns, etc.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

2.5 years $100 smartphone, Moto G4 Play. It meets my needs just fine. The last time I looked I could get a reasonable replacement for $80, but there's no necessity right now.
PJW
kilkoyne

Post by kilkoyne »

Less than a year old LG Rebel 4. Cost me $59.99 and included one year service w/1500 talk/text/data.
WanderingPothos

Post by WanderingPothos »

Iphone 7 for last ~2.5 years....periodically drool over newer models but then remember that I would be doing the same things on new phone and stop drooling.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

frugalmama wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:48 pm
khh wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:23 pm T-Mobile flip phone over 15 years old. The sim card in that phone came from a mid-90s Nokia.
That is impressive!

Galaxy S5...Got it in 2014 so 5 years. We have no plans to buy a new one until it entirely konks out. No security concerns, etc.
Another Galaxy S5 user here, bought in July 2014. Still works absolutely fine, so I feel that I have received my money's worth out of this purchase. I have been looking at the Moto G7 however......reasonably priced and good tech reviews.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

Bought a Pixel 1, 2.5 years ago. It was $800.

I like it because it is native Android, with no bloat ware.

It started draining the battery heavily about 6 months ago. i did a factory reset, then a restore. Of course, I had to put all my passwords in to my apps again. But, it fixed the battery drain issue. I hope to have it for another 12 months. It hurts my head to think of spending $800 every 3 or so years for a stupid phone.
Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot »

It’s about 6 months old, iPhone XS. I got the xs because it has an extremely good LTE modem that’s better than the XR and I hotspot you my laptop a lot. We will be passing on the iPhone 11 but I will likely get the 12 due to redesign and 5G.
tony_roach

Post by tony_roach »

Still rocking a Galaxy S7...although the battery is starting to show too much wear and tear.
Toons

Post by Toons »

4 months
Samsung S10+
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Looking to upgrade one of the kids phones from an iPhone 4s to an iPhone6s (hand me down) as spouse will be getting an iPhone 8.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

I appreciate all of the input and I have reached my decision...

Since the Apple Keynote, I have been torn the past few days. The reality is that security updates will be ending shortly on my iPhone 6. I've calculated cost of ownership (new vs old) on various models of still supported iPhones and it appears that a used iPhone 7 is the best deal (based on $) per year based on Swappa prices. Truth is, even based on this finding, cost of ownership on an iPhone 11 is only around ~$50 more a year for a brand new device vs buying something 3 years old used (assuming a 5 year ownership and support)

I read an article once that a cellphone possesses more germs than a toilet seat... From experience, I know phones tend to go places where you might not feel the most comfortable buying them used to save a few bucks (almost like buying used underwear).

I think I'll bite the bullet and buy a brand new iPhone 11 (base model; won't even look at the Pro 11 and Pro Max) and be content knowing I know exactly were my phone has been and be happy with the total cost of ownership since I will ride it to it's end of support life.

In this day in age, security updates should determine the usable life of a cellphone... in my opinion, knowing the devices full history should also help determine what you buy.

/thread
zeal

Post by zeal »

skp wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:16 pm
megabad wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:02 pm
One or all of the following:
1) they have loads of money
2) they have phone insurance (see loads of money above)
3) they don't plan on keeping phone long
4) they are vain
I don't have mine in a case for a different reason. I upgraded last year to a smart phone and the reception was so much worse than my flip phone that I had to call customer service. They told me smart phones have internal antennas and I would get better reception if I took it out of it's case.
skp gave reason 5), here's reason
6) they pay attention to what they're doing while they're doing it and take care of their expensive equipment, so have no need to purchase another piece of expensive plastic.

I usually keep my phones for several years and only upgrade when absolutely necessary. Had to upgrade both my personal (from LG to moto e5 play) and work (from iPhone 5something to iPhone 8) phones this year, both of which I'd had the same one for 3+ years previously (yes, with no case and no insurance; no, I'm not loaded and I don't think I'm vain). Upgraded the work phone because I moved and had to change providers for better service, upgraded personal to save money (my phone bill is ~$2 as I only pay taxes/fees now--bought phone in full and only use wifi for data :happy).
Momus

Post by Momus »

Just got an update of chrome running 90hz again on oneplus 7 pro (smooth smooth smooth). I almost wanna chuck my phone coz last update breaks 90hz refresh rate. I can't stand the lag and sluggishness of 60hz screen, so freaking slow (practically all other phones :D)
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

Once the security updates are unavailable I upgrade. With so much information on our phones and the potential exploits on dated software, the risk is far greater than spending $1k on a new iPhone. Currently using a Xs and plan on keeping it until it breaks or updates are no longer available.
supersharpie

Post by supersharpie »

ZTE Axon 7...bought on BF 2016 for $350 and it came with "free" $150 headphones I still use nearly daily.

Looking to upgrade to a Galaxy A50 but that would necessitate changing carriers from StraightTalk to Xfinity Mobile so I may just stick with this one for now.
cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj »

I Currently use a 6S which I bought November 2015. It is the last model that has a headphone jack. I am planning on using it one more year as it is likely that they will cut support with the iPhone 12.

However, if there is a great deal on an iPhone 11 during Black Friday or something, I might bite.

I’m not looking forward to upgrading as the new phones do not have touch ID and I will need to contact some of our security systems to add tokens to the new phone which is a hassle.

I would not recommend using an older version of iOS from a security standpoint. Once Apple drops support, it’s time to move on.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

aristotelian wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:47 pm I am rocking a Blu R1 HD purchased for $60 in December 2016. I am looking for a reason to get rid of it but it is still running strong.
The pre-loaded malware would be enough for me to get rid of it (or more accurately, never buy it in the first place), but we've all got different criteria... :twisted:
nexesn

Post by nexesn »

longleaf wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:00 pm
fareastwarriors wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:43 pm I have an iPhone X from about 1 and half ago. I'm ready for 11. Got the cash so why not.
I’m in the same position as you, and my X has issues such as dimming the display and slowing down when it’s hot outside. I suspect this is intentional.

I was having the same issue. It turned out it was the case I was using. I replaced the case, and the phone stopped dimming and getting hot.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Bogle7 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:37 pm
Random Musings wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:03 pmI'll probably get one [smart phone] of those later, but they really are too big to fit comfortably in a pocket.
Remember, cargo shorts are always in style and Costco sells the for $14 USD.
Can't wear those at work. Phones are, on average, getting too large. It's like the old cell phones you laugh at when you watch an older film, except they are thinner. They can do a lot of things, but most people just use them to surf the net in some form, take pictures and talk on the phone.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Bogle7

Cargo shorts are always in style

Post by Bogle7 »

Random Musings wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:15 pmCan't wear [cargo shorts] at work.
I have been wearing cargo shorts at work since 1996.