What older products/tools are better than modern equivalents?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Wakefield1

Re: What older products/tools are better than modern equivalents?

Post by Wakefield1 »

Live potatoes in the grocery store used to be better:I think the current oversized ones are grown overfertilized or with too much nitrogen vs. potassium in the soil
Older commodes used to work with only one flush-not so the new "water saver"
Some push button car windows will suffer breakage of the lift mechanism if they are pushed all the way up before you stop pushing on the electric button (a cable that the motor winds around a spool will bust loose from its attachment point)
much food actually does not taste as good,I think overfertilization and overwatering are in play,also new high yield varieties may play a part?

Remember Tasteekake butterscotch krimpets from 60 or so years ago-much more butterscotch taste and not so sickeningly oversweetened -they seem to have changed multiple times over the years,I crave the old ones but can't hardly eat the new ones
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

Chicken tasted much better when I was a kid. I'm pretty much a vegetarian now, meat doesn't taste as good. Maybe its just me.
Whiggish Boffin

Post by Whiggish Boffin »

I am very sad. I have had a pair of Smaller Advent Loudspeakers, bought used in 1975 when I was in college. (I traded in Dynaco A-25s on them.) They have been my primary speakers ever since. Other, better speakers have come along, but not enough better that I had to upgrade. Instead, I have had the Advents re-coned twice.

They were a dirt-cheap classic. They failed to do some things like thunder-bass, but what they did, they did right. Modern reviewers have said they could be happy with Smaller Advents as their only speakers.

I moved recently, and dropped one of them, face down, on the sidewalk. The woofer tore out of the faceplate and ripped big chunks of chipboard out of it.

Evidently the golden-ear tweakos have driven the scientists out of the audio biz. Now I have to wade through audio-fetishist hype and nonsense to find comparable speakers at ten times the cost. Maybe it doesn't matter so much, now that the top octave of my hearing is gone.
bumski

Post by bumski »

Bostonian shoes
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" ... e=mc2 | Albert Einstein
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic has run its course (non-actionable) and is locked. See Non-actionable topics:
If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here.
and Personal Consumer Issues:
This subforum is focused on making informed decisions about consumer goods and services (other than investing or financial).
Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be locked or removed.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)