Best Place to Sell Plastic Car Model Kits

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
itsgot8

Best Place to Sell Plastic Car Model Kits

Post by itsgot8 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:56 am

I have about a dozen and a half plastic car model kits from the late 80's and early 90's. Most are NIB and the opened boxes are complete with parts in sealed bags. I want to know if there are other venues besides eBay, Craigslist and Facebook marketplace for selling them. There is nothing really collectable about them so I'm not expecting to bring in a lot of money but want to make enough to have it worth my while to sell them, versus just tossing them in the garbage to clear them out of the basement.

forgeblast

Re: Best Place to Sell Plastic Car Model Kits

Post by forgeblast » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:00 am

Ebay , who knows you might have a bidding war.

bloom2708

Re: Best Place to Sell Plastic Car Model Kits

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:05 am

Nothing but eBay will put as many potential buyers in front of your items.

I would do one "lot" for all 18 cars.

Take good pictures of each car. Describe the items in detail.

Use a good title/description for the auction.

Start the bidding low, do a 7 or 10 day auction so as many people (looking in that area) sees the auction.

If you need to get a floor amount, you can use a reserve. See if you can get a lot of watchers and bidders. Nothing much happens until the last day/last hours/last minutes in most auctions. But, you need multiple interested buyers to bid and re-bid.

Maybe there is one rare/sought after car in the lot. Maybe they are all worth 50 cents. Hard to say. You can search for the cars on eBay individually. Search the "completed sales" and see what they sell for.

Good luck!
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead