Lexus or Camry?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
javabean

Lexus or Camry?

Post by javabean » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:24 pm

I have a 2013 Lexus GS350 which has seen 39k miles so far. I also have a 2010 Toyota Camry which has run 103k miles. I need to get rid of one of them since I recently purchased an SUV (a KIA Telluride) and we don't have a need for three cars in the garage. Which one would you choose to do away with?
Obviously I would get more money selling the Lexus. But the Lexus is a great car with lots of style, comfort and power. The Camry is like a workhorse - ordinary to look at, no fun to drive but lower maintenance. Note that both cars are fully paid for.

JB

MikeG62

Re: Lexus or Camry?

Post by MikeG62 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:32 pm

It’s a personal decision, obviously.

The frugal cohort here are going to tell you to dump the Lexus and keep the Camry. However, I’m not in the frugal camp and I am a bit of a car guy so my vote it to sell the Camry and keep the Lexus. I’d add that you said yourself the Camry is “no fun” to drive so it seems you may be too.

My bet once all the votes are in you’ll have more suggestions to sell the Lexus. Then go ahead and make the decision that seems best to you.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

puravida

Post by puravida » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:36 pm

Unless you really need the money, keep the 2013 Lexus and enjoy the better ride for years to come. Reliability is great which keeps the maintenance cost down.
Simple, passive, effective - the Bogle way...

dubsem

Post by dubsem » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:40 pm

I see them as the same cars but at different points in their lives.

Since you own both, sell the camry and enjoy the lexus. It'd cost more to get back into the lexus than it would the camry.
G.O.O.D.

azianbob

Post by azianbob » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:41 pm

Keep the Lexus. Both are paid off. Reliability is similar between the two but the Camry is older so will need major repairs / to be replaced sooner. Also at the 100k mileage, its due for more expensive major maintenance which you can avoid for now.

Plus its nice to have one luxury car if you need to go out to a fancy place or something. Also the Lexus seats and suspension is probably better than the Camry so it makes for a more comfortable ride.

infotrader

Post by infotrader » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:50 pm

Definitely keep the Lexus.

rage_phish

Post by rage_phish » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:12 pm

Bye bye Camry

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:13 pm

Had a Camry. It was not lower maintenance than the two Lexuses that we have had combined.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:28 pm

Keep the lexus.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:45 pm

1. 2013 Lexus GS350 which has seen 39k miles so far

2. 2010 Toyota Camry which has run 103k miles.

If you were to go out to buy a second car (at a fair pride) which of these would you pick?

Personally I can't imagine intentionally buying a nearly ten year old car with over a hundred thousand miles unless I were strapped for money in the extreme.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:02 pm

You have 3 cars... pick one to keep, sell the other two.

strafe

Post by strafe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:05 pm

If the correct choice (sell the Camry) isn't self-evident, I vote for option C: sell the Kia.

Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:11 pm

I vote, sell your house and buy a Rolls Royce Wraith. :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag

Last edited by Brianmcg321 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.

gator15

Post by gator15 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:11 pm

That’s easy. Keep the Lexus.

tommy85

Post by tommy85 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:15 pm

azianbob wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:41 pm
Keep the Lexus. Both are paid off. Reliability is similar between the two but the Camry is older so will need major repairs / to be replaced sooner. Also at the 100k mileage, its due for more expensive major maintenance which you can avoid for now.
1+

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:24 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (car).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:25 pm

Keep the Lexus. ~60k fewer miles means a lot more life. Plus, you seem to like it more :beer

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:27 pm

That Camry is a perfect car for a young driver.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:37 pm

Don't know much about the Kia, has the quality jumped up that much that you would dump a good Lexus or Camry ? I have been out of the biz for 3 + years, but KIA was always "killed in action" way back, I know the sister line up has come a long ways from 1994, when the Elantra would not start on a cold morning. Fill me in, Please? And yes I will google and do some research on my own, but a Kia over a Toyota family of cars ? Sorry to sound so rude.

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:48 pm

My 2004 Lexus LS430 looks and drives like a new luxury car. Purchased it at 90k for just over $10k, now past the 150k mile mark and other than the timing belt/water pump at 100k, all I've had to spend on upkeep is on normal wear/tear items (tires, brake pads, wiper blades) and maintenance (oil changes, filter changes, etc). Another vote to keep the Lexus.

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:51 pm

Ok, seems like what I find is KIA Telluride is new model first year out right ? Make sure to have the service advisor document all issues as they happen on the Repair Order, IF your state has a good lemon law and there are major bugs then you can do a buyback.

Anyone who comes to me, I steer them clear of a new model release, so many manufacturers use the front line of consumers as the final test of quality. There is a rush to release models in many, (not all) cases. The business is very competitive!

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:09 pm

Not sure IF I am premittted to post these here, so if not Mod's can remove:
TSB: SERVICE ACTION: INTERMEDIATE STEERING SHAFT UNIVERSAL JOINT INSPECTION (SA383) - This bulletin provides information regarding the inspection of the intermediate steering shaft lower universal joint on certain 2020MY Telluride (ON)

TSB: SERVICE ACTION: ELECTRONIC PARKING BRAKE CONNECTOR INSPECTION AND/OR ADJUSTMENT (SA381) - This bulletin provides information on some 2020MY Telluride (ON) vehicles produced from January 17, 2019 through April 9, 2019, which may exhibit................

TSB: SERVICE ACTION: AVN 5 WIDE SOFTWARE UPDATE BLUETOOTH MEMORY ISSUE (SA386) - This bulletin provides the procedure for updating the AVN 5 WIDE software on some 2020MY Telluride (ON) produced from March 23, 2019 through April 30, 2019....

TSB: SERVICE ACTION: TELLURIDE (ON) HEADLAMP INSPECTION (SA380) - This bulletin provides information on certain 2020MY Telluride (ON) vehicles, produced from February 13, 2019 through March 30, 2019, which may exhibit intermittent or inoperative,.....

These are not deal breakers, however there are several for a new vehicle, (14), BUT I found a recall which may or may not apply to your vehicle, probably not as a good dealer will not deliver a new car with a recall on it, but not knowing when you bought, check with your dealer.

Kia Motors America (Kia) is recalling certain 2020 Telluride vehicles. The seat belt assemblies in the front passenger, second, and/or third row seats may not tightly secure a child restraint system in the event of a crash. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 208, "Occupant Crash Protection."

IIHS Crash Test & Rollover Safety Ratings are excellent !

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:13 pm

I would sell all three. :twisted:

jradisch

Post by jradisch » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:34 pm

Which one would you choose to do away with?
The KIA

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:01 pm

Sell the Camry, as both time and mileage working against you.

Is it due for any maintenance - brakes, tires, timing chain, transmission oil? Check the owner's manual for 100k mileage maintenance.

Also - If any repairs are needed, you'll have a hard time finding replacement parts.

===============
Update: javabean - The next post after this one is a duplicate post, which I've removed.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
javabean

Post by javabean » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:26 pm

Morgan Dollar 1921 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:09 pm
TSB: SERVICE ACTION: INTERMEDIATE STEERING SHAFT UNIVERSAL JOINT INSPECTION (SA383) - This bulletin provides information regarding the inspection of the intermediate steering shaft lower universal joint on certain 2020MY Telluride (ON)

TSB: SERVICE ACTION: ELECTRONIC PARKING BRAKE CONNECTOR INSPECTION AND/OR ADJUSTMENT (SA381) - This bulletin provides information on some 2020MY Telluride (ON) vehicles produced from January 17, 2019 through April 9, 2019, which may exhibit................

TSB: SERVICE ACTION: AVN 5 WIDE SOFTWARE UPDATE BLUETOOTH MEMORY ISSUE (SA386) - This bulletin provides the procedure for updating the AVN 5 WIDE software on some 2020MY Telluride (ON) produced from March 23, 2019 through April 30, 2019....

TSB: SERVICE ACTION: TELLURIDE (ON) HEADLAMP INSPECTION (SA380) - This bulletin provides information on certain 2020MY Telluride (ON) vehicles, produced from February 13, 2019 through March 30, 2019, which may exhibit intermittent or inoperative,.....

These are not deal breakers, however there are several for a new vehicle, (14), BUT I found a recall which may or may not apply to your vehicle, probably not as a good dealer will not deliver a new car with a recall on it, but not knowing when you bought, check with your dealer.

Kia Motors America (Kia) is recalling certain 2020 Telluride vehicles. The seat belt assemblies in the front passenger, second, and/or third row seats may not tightly secure a child restraint system in the event of a crash. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 208, "Occupant Crash Protection."

Yes, it can be risky to purchase the first model year of any car. But the Telluride does have its pros:
1) Plenty of passenger room. I am 6'2" tall. The salesperson was 6' tall. And we both managed to seat ourselves comfortably in the third row with the second row seats at their maximum stretch. Cargo space is the largest among all midsize SUVs.
2) Almost the same luxury and technology features for a lot cheaper than traditional luxury brands like Audi (Q7), Acura (MDX) or BMW (X5).
3) KIA has dramatically improved its reliability ratings over the last 5 years or so. Also the Telly comes with a 10yr/100k warranty for the powertrain and 5yr/60k warranty for other parts. For comparison Toyota offers a 3yr/36k warranty for everything.
4) The Telly has bold styling. Very different from the rest of the SUVs in its class.

Regarding the recall for the seat belt assembly - not all Tellurides are impacted. So far my car's VIN does not show up on the recall list. But the list isn't complete yet.

Topic Author
javabean

Post by javabean » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:28 pm

Thanks BHs for your replies (some were quite funny). Looks like Lexus it is.

JB

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:00 am

javabean wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:26 pm
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:09 pm

Yes, it can be risky to purchase the first model year of any car. But the Telluride does have its pros:
1) Plenty of passenger room. I am 6'2" tall. The salesperson was 6' tall. And we both managed to seat ourselves comfortably in the third row with the second row seats at their maximum stretch. Cargo space is the largest among all midsize SUVs.
2) Almost the same luxury and technology features for a lot cheaper than traditional luxury brands like Audi (Q7), Acura (MDX) or BMW (X5).
3) KIA has dramatically improved its reliability ratings over the last 5 years or so. Also the Telly comes with a 10yr/100k warranty for the powertrain and 5yr/60k warranty for other parts. For comparison Toyota offers a 3yr/36k warranty for everything.
4) The Telly has bold styling. Very different from the rest of the SUVs in its class.

Regarding the recall for the seat belt assembly - not all Tellurides are impacted. So far my car's VIN does not show up on the recall list. But the list isn't complete yet.
Good to see you were aware of the recall, I was GM dealer employee when the Killing Cobalt, recall was released. Recalls are (fill in the blank). The current airbag mess is just that a mess, and deadly also.

I understand the warranty on the Kia, ask yourself why do they have to offer longer warranties than Toyota, Subaru & Honda? And the key question, "Am I paying for that longer warranty?

I am 6'2" also but always ride in the front seats whenever a vehicle I am in is moving. Cargo space is VIP for large number of consumers, I get that, retired & empty nest, the only time we want for space in a Corolla (DW) or my Impreza is when we have the grandkids, then we take my Impreza hatch.

Bold styling means nothing to me, most of my friends never see our cars in the garage. But hey being a car guy I have seen styling come and go, a strong selling tool, but the "fin's on the fenders" image changes have been in play since the 1950's, Oh, portholes in the front fenders of the Buicks too, LoL. As Dave Ramsey states , you will only impress someone at the stoplight for a minute or less, and you can bet the model will get a facelift in 3-4 years. They do that to sell more new ones.

Only 1 of the three cars you compare, would ever be on my radar to own, the Acura. Handling collision parts and seeing the difference in prices between base brand of a manufacturer's family and the upscale brand sends a frugal buyer like me running from the image brands. Nissan and Infiniti are in the "high and very high price ranges". No real concerns, I have been told by family members, saying they don't plan on having an accident. Yes, buy you will pay collision coverage insurance for 3 to 7 years, right ? They usually look back and say, "Oh!"

I hope you spotted the positive I mentioned, about your new model, safety ratings, you did not confirm seeing it, but after reliability one of the main factors I review for a vehicle purchase. Comfort is always in play.

I could go on and on about powertrain quality, but became a believer in the differences in 1985, Chevy had just sent the new Nova to the dealers and our driveability tech called me out of the parts dept to listen to the four cylinder in a new Citation he was prepping for the lot. It sat there and sounded like a egg beater mixing eggs, shells and all. He then reached into the X-body and turned the engine off. Unknown to me up to that point, the new "85 Nova was also idling in the bay next to us. Purring like a kitten, the Toyota 1.6L was smooth and quiet, and at least double the life reliability of the 2.5L Iron Duke. Another eye opener about 3 years later, the engine tech had me look at the turbo shrapnel in the piston tops of a 1987 Pontiac Sunbird. But the turbo model had 120 MPH speedo vs I think an 80 MPH on the standard models. So important for the image. I told Paul, I bet this Sunbird was really singing when the turbo turned loose, LoL. Why does anyone need 120MPH speedo, what state has a 100 MPH speed limit?

I hope you have a safe and enjoyable experience with your new Kia, I am glad to know that quality is on the rise, but I recall shutting a door on a used KIA about seven years ago, then thinking as I walked to a used Civic, that sounded hollow and loud, shutting the door on the Civic, I confirmed the difference. First impressions stick with us.

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:11 am

Ok, back like a broken record, Huh. I open my phone to check my V/G account moments after posting the last reply and what do I see in notifications, another GM recall, brakes this time. Not sure what it is, but a tailgate recall can't be as bad as a brake recall, right?

Rusty brake lines on a pickup, or rusty tailgate cables, GM brings them all to life.

researcher

Post by researcher » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:40 am

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:00 am
I understand the warranty on the Kia, ask yourself why do they have to offer longer warranties than Toyota, Subaru & Honda? And the key question, "Am I paying for that longer warranty?

I am glad to know that quality is on the rise, but I recall shutting a door on a used KIA about seven years ago, then thinking as I walked to a used Civic, that sounded hollow and loud, shutting the door on the Civic, I confirmed the difference. First impressions stick with us.
Your perceptions of Kia are old and outdated.
You should really take a look at their new models, as they have reached parity/near parity with the mainstream Japanese brands.
The Kia Telluride is an incredible vehicle. If I were in the market for a 3-row SUV, this is hands down the vehicle I would buy.

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:02 am

researcher wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:40 am
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:00 am

I am glad to know that quality is on the rise, but I recall shutting a door on a used KIA about seven years ago, then thinking as I walked to a used Civic, that sounded hollow and loud, shutting the door on the Civic, I confirmed the difference. First impressions stick with us.
Your perceptions of Kia are old and outdated.
You should really take a look at their new models, as they have reached parity/near parity with the mainstream Japanese brands.
The Kia Telluride is an incredible vehicle. If I were in the market for a 3-row SUV, this is hands down the vehicle I would buy.
Hey that is OK, I am old and outdated too! Buy what you want, I wished them well with their new purchase, too many years of watching new paint fever turn into "what have I done?" Example: a 1985 Olds 98 owner with stall problems under 10K miles, standing at the parts counter talking to Fred, our drivability tech, he told us, I could have bought a Toyota Cressida! He was not smiling! The Cressida is gone, I know not exactly why, but if pressed I would say the release of the Lexus brand stopped demand. Guess what the Olds brand is gone, so is Pontiac,... who ate their lunch? Certainly not KIA. I have no reason to look at them, I will continue to recommend brands based on 20+ years of long term reliability. Case in point, my brother in law bought his second new Pilot a 2019, he has owned a 2007 for, yes 12 + years, he did not trade it, he sold his worn out Taurus, a 1996. He hated that car, loves both Pilots. Yes, he asked me about what to consider, I chucked and said you like your current dealer, they take care of you as you have told me, and you loved the Pilot from the first mile to today. I don't know why it would not be on the top of your list. I then said take a look at a Highlander and glance at an Ascend, if you are going to wait for a 2020. (yes Subaru even had to offer a few '19 Ascend owners a new one, IF my memory is correct. They did the right thing with that recall! I am sure I am not going to impact the sales of one hot model with my opinion here or face to face. I did read that some stores are sticker stuffing due to the "New, Hot, Model fever. I recall when dealers would hide inventory to create an impression of short supply, HIGH demand, "yes we have no banana's, we have no Mustangs/Corvettes/(fill in the blank) today.

One of the sharpest marketing dealers I ever had the pleasure of working for told me shortly after I hired in, "Gxxx, the best advertising I can purchase is the wagging tongue of a satisfied customer" Gee I wonder why they were successful for over 90 years, and three generations, even in wartime no product era, or the Great Depression? They took care of the customer even when the product failed. I watched his son get a Bonneville customer a new replacement engine at 40% of the total install price at 65K miles on the odometer, his argument to the factory rep was none of the rest of our 3800 V-6's are failing at as much as 180K miles. He mandated to our customers proper oil changes with that first one at 2,000 miles. Then 3 to no more than 5 thousand intervals from that point on. That Bonneville owner did not pay a dime extra for powertrain warranty.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:10 am

dbr wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:45 pm
Personally I can't imagine intentionally buying a nearly ten year old car with over a hundred thousand miles unless I were strapped for money in the extreme.
All depends on the stage of life one's in.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:28 pm

I'd sell the Camry and the Lexus and buy a new Lexus. I tried to get my wife into one in 2016, but she wanted another Camry. She picked out an Avalon Touring eventually. Anyway...

I wouldn't be scared of a Camry with 100,000 miles or 200,000, and probably not with 299,000.

When I started dating her six years ago, she had a 2003 Camry 4-cylinder and a 2006 Camry 4-cylinder. Both had been purchased used with about 10k miles on them by her husband before he died. She had a full-time job, a p-time job at an emergency room and a p-time counseling job. She also had a local mechanic who was honest. Need I mention that she used to run and swim competitively and can't stay still.

She eventually gave the '06 to her son for the babysitter - it had 160,000 miles on it and it is still on the road with no major repairs ever. Unless you count one motor mount. It's now somewhere well over 210,000 miles.

She sold the '03 to his in-laws with 215,000 miles on it and it is still on the road and pushing 300,000 with no major repairs (and probably little recent maintenance. :) )

Fwiw, I don't have a dog in this fight because I don't need a sedan or SUV. I drive a 2016 4Runner Trail Premium with KDSS and tow a boat to lakes that don't have ramps and like to drive on the beach.

megabad

Post by megabad » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:35 pm

Another vote for keeping the Lexus. I would think your sunk cost there is quite a bit more and it seems like you enjoy it.

SR II

Post by SR II » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:40 am

Easy one. I'd keep the one with a lot less miles on it. In this case it happens to be the Lexus. But, if the Camry was the one with 39k miles on it, I'd keep it and sell the Lexus.