Retirees: Ever feel really lazy?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tennisplyr

Retirees: Ever feel really lazy?

Post by tennisplyr » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:29 am

Do you feel that your life has slowed down so much that you've been getting a little lazy? Of course retirement should be time where you live life on your terms without the stress of people breathing down your neck or things you need to do. But I was wondering if you're starting to actually get lazy and stopped doing things you used to love to do?
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Smoke

Re: Retirees: Ever feel really lazy?

Post by Smoke » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:41 am

Things I used to love to do change.
Feeling lazy is subjective, I only attribute "lazy" to things that need to be done.
Due to more physical limitations as I get older, those things that "need" to be done are allocated to those that get paid to do them, even though I used to enjoy doing them very much.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

minesweep

Post by minesweep » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:42 am

I never get tired of doing things I like to do. Those mid-afternoon naps are refreshing (help me get rid of any laziness).

prairieman

Post by prairieman » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:49 am

I guess I don’t feel lazy, but rather self-indulgent. I remain pretty active but a much higher percentage of things I do are things I like doing.... walks, reading, travel, arranging get togethers, etc..
I am actually better at housework, yard work, car maintenance, etc... than I used to be because I have more time and am less afraid of running out of money than I used to be.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:55 am

Never have. I enjoy doing everything for myself, if I have the knowledge and expertise.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:06 pm

My father is in his mid seventies. Retired for almost 10 years now. His lounge chair gets a lot of use. He usually likes to tinker with a project for 2-3 hours a day and that is the limit of his daily activity. For a guy who used to work 60 hours a week and handle all home repairs/maintenance this is "lazy" but he's happy. Enjoy it.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:14 pm

Ever feel really lazy?
Before my nap, but I try to do chores afterwards.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:19 pm

Sheepdog wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:55 am
Never have. I enjoy doing everything for myself, if I have the knowledge and expertise.
+1
Perfect!
J🏝
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:39 pm

tennisplyr wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:29 am
Do you feel that your life has slowed down so much that you've been getting a little lazy? Of course retirement should be time where you live life on your terms without the stress of people breathing down your neck or things you need to do. But I was wondering if you're starting to actually get lazy and stopped doing things you used to love to do?
Every once in a long while I feel lazy. It happened when I was working as well.

I've never stopped doing things I love to do.

If your feelings persist, seek medical help. There are conditions (such as depression) that could make you feel "lazy" enough to stop doing things you love to do.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ron

Post by Ron » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:42 pm

I never wanted to do much before retirement, 12+ years ago.

I'm trying to maintain that outlook in retirement, even if I have an extreme urge to do something :mrgreen: ...

- Ron

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:57 pm

Not fully retired. Already feel lazy recently. I just don't want to do anything.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:12 pm

FI4LIFE wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:06 pm
My father is in his mid seventies. Retired for almost 10 years now. His lounge chair gets a lot of use. He usually likes to tinker with a project for 2-3 hours a day and that is the limit of his daily activity. For a guy who used to work 60 hours a week and handle all home repairs/maintenance this is "lazy" but he's happy. Enjoy it.
That's me, same age, same "work" hours. I do feel like I should work out more, though.

wannabeteacher

Post by wannabeteacher » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:18 pm

I have been lazy all my life. was a complete goof off in med school. Then came to the U.S.A. in 1976 and had no choice, had to work hard to make money, keep my job etc. retired 2016. Love to read, but too lazy to go to the library and borrow books. Had to force myself to write this.

truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:31 pm

I love being retired, but yes sometimes I do feel a little lazy. For example, I love to go to the gym in the morning after breakfast, but sometimes I procrastinate and visit the bogleheads forum for a few hours instead instead. This is one of those mornings.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:15 am

truenorth418 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:31 pm
I love being retired, but yes sometimes I do feel a little lazy. For example, I love to go to the gym in the morning after breakfast, but sometimes I procrastinate and visit the bogleheads forum for a few hours instead instead. This is one of those mornings.
Hahaha! I'm not the only one who prefers bogleheads to the gym...
I actually got to the gym more often when I was working--I would change into gym clothes at the office and swing by the gym on the way home. It's harder to go from home to the gym. :mrgreen:

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:34 am

I just bought an oil extractor from Harbor Freight so I can change the oil in my car, truck, tractor and generator without crawling underneath them, which is getting harder to do.

Topic Author
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:52 am

Believe me, I still love retirement and couldn't dream of having it any other way!
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:54 am

Not retired yet, but may any time. I have NEVER seen a retiree who is not lazy. I also find myself being lazy on weekends. Sometimes having a haircut feels like a big accomplishment for the weekend. Wake up late - relax - breakfast/coffee - newspapers - walk - lunch - hike or shopping - laundry - dinner - relax. If this is not 'lazy', what is? When you get used to being lazy, you do not recognize that you are lazy. If you look back and cannot remember what you have done, you have certainly been lazy. It is natural that we become complacent without a certain amount of stimulation and stress. It is ideal to keep everything at a delicate balance.
Last edited by MathIsMyWayr on Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:04 am

I want to contribute to this thread, but maybe later. I feel like a nap right now.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

shell921

Post by shell921 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:43 am

I would not call myself "lazy" but i do take time each day to rest, meditate and read. I have 3 volunteer
"jobs", I walk my 2 dogs for 45 min 2x a day, I swim, do classical stretch, tai chi 3-5 x week + I
do a lot of stuff around my home.

I have a yard man and housecleaners but there are still many things I must do to maintain my home.

My brother & his wife are here visiting. Last night I had a family gathering here at my home for 12 people.
I know in the past I would not have been as tired from all the work of putting on a
gathering for 12 as I was last night - and still feel a bit wrung out today ! :confused

So is it 'lazy" to say I do not enjoy all the work of entertaining as i used to?

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:44 am

Not yet officially retired, but when I read a thread like this I have to wonder - what is retirement defined as?

When we retire in less than 2 years, I plan on doing whatever I want whenever I want, in concert with DW. That means it's perfectly acceptable to wake up, have a cup of coffee and read the paper, then snooze for an hour or two if that's what I want to do. Just like with work, there is always something that can be done, and no matter how much you do it will never be done. The perspective that if you're not doing something you're lazy is wrong, IMO. Retirement is about doing whatever you want whenever you want. :confused :confused :confused
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:50 am

I'm more busy now than when I worked 9 to 5. I've been in the process of reducing my volunteering just so I can be a bit lazier.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:23 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:44 am
Not yet officially retired, but when I read a thread like this I have to wonder - what is retirement defined as?

When we retire in less than 2 years, I plan on doing whatever I want whenever I want, in concert with DW. That means it's perfectly acceptable to wake up, have a cup of coffee and read the paper, then snooze for an hour or two if that's what I want to do. Just like with work, there is always something that can be done, and no matter how much you do it will never be done. The perspective that if you're not doing something you're lazy is wrong, IMO. Retirement is about doing whatever you want whenever you want. :confused :confused :confused
Exactly. I don't understand why people have to be busy in retirement. I have to get paid to be busy.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:30 am

flyingaway wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:23 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:44 am

Exactly. I don't understand why people have to be busy in retirement. I have to get paid to be busy.
"Exactly. I don't understand why people have to be busy in retirement. I have to get paid to be busy."
They do not.

But....this is also true ...
"Retirement is about doing whatever you want whenever you want"
Which means we will not be feeling lazy in retirement , semi-retirement, or prior.

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:45 am

I do one thing a day. Two if I’m feeling particularly energetic.

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:48 am

wannabeteacher wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:18 pm
I have been lazy all my life. was a complete goof off in med school. Then came to the U.S.A. in 1976 and had no choice, had to work hard to make money, keep my job etc. retired 2016. Love to read, but too lazy to go to the library and borrow books. Had to force myself to write this.
You win! Too lazy to move your fingers! I hope retirement treats you well.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:48 am

I have to stay busy. Of course I no longer have those 10 to 12 hour pressure packed days when I worked, but I have to be doing things I deem productive every day. This week has been hard on me because I am recovering from surgery and have to limit my activities. But I am doing what I can within the limits I was given. Yesterday, my MS Outlook mail was corrupted and I spent about 5 hours fixing that even though I did not feel like it. I was almost happy to have a email problem to give me something to do. I have to pace myself nowadays. It may take several days to clean up my property (2 acres) whereas before I could do it in one day. Some heavy duty things like tree work or driveway maintenance, I hire out.

To each his own, but I can only tolerate so much leisure. I had an uncle who retired at 65 and the next day he took a night watchman job at a local community college which he kept until a couple of months before his death at age 86. I once asked him why he continued to work. He said that if he just sit around all day doing nothing productive he would go nuts. I am the same way.

BIGal

Post by BIGal » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:00 am

I'd like to recommend this site for retirees. I go there occasionally and have found it worthwhile.
https://slowdownnow.org/

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:01 am

I wouldn’t say I’m lazy, but I don’t do my best to keep busy either. After a certain amount of sitting around I get antsy and have to get up and do something, usually fixing something around the house. I haven’t volunteered anywhere and haven’t worked a lick since retirement.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:14 am

carolinaman wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:48 am
I have to stay busy. Of course I no longer have those 10 to 12 hour pressure packed days when I worked, but I have to be doing things I deem productive every day. This week has been hard on me because I am recovering from surgery and have to limit my activities. But I am doing what I can within the limits I was given. Yesterday, my MS Outlook mail was corrupted and I spent about 5 hours fixing that even though I did not feel like it. I was almost happy to have a email problem to give me something to do. I have to pace myself nowadays. It may take several days to clean up my property (2 acres) whereas before I could do it in one day. Some heavy duty things like tree work or driveway maintenance, I hire out.

To each his own, but I can only tolerate so much leisure. I had an uncle who retired at 65 and the next day he took a night watchman job at a local community college which he kept until a couple of months before his death at age 86. I once asked him why he continued to work. He said that if he just sit around all day doing nothing productive he would go nuts. I am the same way.
On the other hand, as one of our ex-Presidents reportedly said, "I've heard that hard work never killed anyone, but I say why take the chance?"

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:37 am

lthenderson wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:50 am
I'm more busy now than when I worked 9 to 5. I've been in the process of reducing my volunteering just so I can be a bit lazier.
Another one often heard on this board along the line: "Being so busy now in retirement, I can't even imagine how I ever found time to go to work!"
After a lifetime of hard work, you have earned every right to a life of leisure and pleasure. :sharebeer There is nothing wrong with idling away and you don't have to be guilt-tripped to twist the fact and mince words.
Last edited by MathIsMyWayr on Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:07 pm

I have been retired for 4 years & yes, I think I have got lazy in retirement.

I volunteer at 2 organizations, try to do minimal gardening at & around the house. We had an RV for a year or so & travelled across US twice, the list of things to do around the house keeps getting longer

I try to be regular to my Yoga classes, although long absences are not uncommon. Lately I have started meditating for mental peace & happiness & also walking the dog for a mile most days of the week.

My couch time with laptop has increased a lot, with international news & endless entertainment & involved with multiple Virtual Forums with some learning added. I wish I could kick this useless activity.

But in general I feel I have got lazy
We do not stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing !!

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:25 pm

I am 100% sure I will have no problem doing nothing. Play a little golf, watch some TV, go out to dinner, go for a hike. All sound like perfect days to me.

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:30 pm

I have always been a bit on the lazy side. Not when I was working, though. I was probably lazier at home during my working years because I had less time to get stuff done, and I was home less to see the consequences of being lazy.

I have been retired for 11 years. When I need to get something done, I do it. That doesn't stop me from taking my daily afternoon nap. :happy :mrgreen:

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:38 pm

One month into retirement and I'm ready to go back to work .... NOT.

My days are now filled with activities aimed to please, grow, or nurture me. I go to the gym 5 - 6 days a week now and sometimes I walk in the mall with my wife, I'm relearning playing classical guitar and piano, I cook a couple of days a week, I meditate daily, been to one movie matinee so far, and I spend a couple of hours a day researching companies for investment purposes. It's a good thing I neither fish nor golf.

Yes retirement is what it's cracked up to be.

TravelforFun

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:41 pm

It would be hard for me to be any lazier than I have been my whole life, but that's not to say I don't work hard when I have a "job" to do. Well, except if that job is housework.

I really need to get off the computer and get the house cleaned up … just a bit. In less than 24 hours I head off to France. And when I am travelling I don't let myself be too lazy, or else what is the point of paying all that money and flying for hours to get someplace else? So I am looking at 3+ weeks of not getting to spend as much lazy time as I'm used to.

Rudedog

Post by Rudedog » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:34 pm

I try to do at least one thing per day, such as mow the grass, clean a bathroom, go to the grocery store, etc. The rest of the day I do what I feel like, play with grandson, walk the dog, drink a beer and watch baseball...............

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:05 am

Seven years in, I've just turned 69 and I'm getting lazier and lazier. I got married last November and I"m tired of renovating my 1916 home prior to selling it. I'm tired of keeping up my wife's 1992 home on 2 acres and picking up after her two grandsons when they visit.

Of course, it's 4 a.m. and I"ve been up since 3 and I"m grouchy. It'll all be better when I get the boat on the water around 5 for a nice sunny day of fishing. Time to go, ask me if I miss the office. :mrgreen:

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:38 am

wannabeteacher wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:18 pm
Your library website probably has a link to Overdrive/eZone, where you can borrow ebooks without getting out of your chair. I read mine with kindle for pc, so no dedicated ereader needed.

kramer

Post by kramer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:09 am

I am mid-50s, been retired for over 12 years ... to answer your question, no I am not feeling lazy at all, I love my social life, I keep plenty busy, pursuing a number of goals and hobbies, keeping in touch with my family, traveling to a new country later this week with longtime friend, language learning, staying in great physical shape. Life is good.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:49 pm

I've been retired for 10 years and the lazy bug did bite me.....somewhat. DW still works full-time so I'm the chief cook and bottle washer.

Then....about a year ago we decided to downsize......we build a new, smaller home. OMG......what was I thinking. We move in at the end of September. Those afternoon naps..........not any more. I keep telling myself.......things will get easier........well I certainly hope so!!

Topic Author
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:16 am

I play lots of tennis and pickleball in the Florida heat. I'm starting to look at lazy downtime as a way to recharge my batteries. Life is good :happy

staustin

Post by staustin » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:23 am

TravelforFun wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:38 pm
One month into retirement and I'm ready to go back to work .... NOT.

My days are now filled with activities aimed to please, grow, or nurture me. I go to the gym 5 - 6 days a week now and sometimes I walk in the mall with my wife, I'm relearning playing classical guitar and piano, I cook a couple of days a week, I meditate daily, been to one movie matinee so far, and I spend a couple of hours a day researching companies for investment purposes. It's a good thing I neither fish nor golf.

Yes retirement is what it's cracked up to be.

TravelforFun
:sharebeer brilliant...