Costco washer/dryer delivery: tipping?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
need403bhelp

Costco washer/dryer delivery: tipping?

Post by need403bhelp » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:05 pm

We recently purchased a washer and dryer from Costco and are having it installed soon. The delivery, set up, and haul away of old appliances is included in the Costco price (by Innovel). Should we (i) give a tip - if so, how much is customary? or (ii) not give a tip at all of any kind or (iii) not tip but provide cold non-alcoholic beverages or other non-monetary gifts?

Thank you!

BogleBoogie

Re: Costco washer/dryer delivery: tipping?

Post by BogleBoogie » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:10 pm

No, I would not tip. That would be inappropriate. Also, likely against their policy to accept.

Goal33

Post by Goal33 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:12 pm

I usually give around $5
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:19 pm

I would probably tip $20/delivery person, assuming the job requires two people. I usually offer a bottle of water or can of seltzer when the weather is warm.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:19 pm

I have not and would never tip in those situations.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:21 pm

need403bhelp wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:05 pm
We recently purchased a washer and dryer from Costco and are having it installed soon. The delivery, set up, and haul away of old appliances is included in the Costco price (by Innovel). Should we (i) give a tip - if so, how much is customary? or (ii) not give a tip at all of any kind or (iii) not tip but provide cold non-alcoholic beverages or other non-monetary gifts?

Thank you!
I'd tip a few bucks to the workers in your home for doing their job well for you, regardless of the name of the store.

catdude

Post by catdude » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:33 am

I'm the guy who started that other thread on tipping movers. But separately from that issue, a few days ago I had a refrigerator and washer & dryer delivered. It was a fair amount of work for the delivery guys, so I tipped them each $20. Perhaps more than what's appropriate, but they seemed to appreciate it.
catdude | | "Only in America." (Yogi Berra, after being told that the mayor of Catholic Dublin was Jewish)

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:14 am

need403bhelp wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:05 pm

Thank you!
No, I would not tip. You already paid in full.

retired recently

Post by retired recently » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:51 am

My understanding is that initially tipping was meant for waiters/waitresses as they are typically paid only a few bucks an hour. For some reason it has morphed into a ridiculous practice in the US of trying to tip everyone. I definitely would not tip the delivery guys.

student

Post by student » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:56 am

I think I would tip at most $10. I kind of feel like I need to tip because I live on the second floor.

yohac

Post by yohac » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:57 am

Had a new mattress delivered on Friday. One of the guys hands me his phone for me to sign the receipt, and made a point of saying "Gratuities are appreciated." He'd said next to nothing until then. I had planned to give them each ten bucks anyway, which I thought was more than fair for less than ten minutes of work. But I did NOT appreciate the "hint".

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:04 am

In some areas of the country tipping is pretty routine. In other areas not so much. I would tip and the amount would be based on how well things were done to my satisfaction. For instance, if the washer/dryer were installed upstairs and they didn't trash the stairs, they would get a bigger tip.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

galving

Post by galving » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:18 am

When the job is done quickly, correctly, and the installers arrive at the appointment time.
I'd tip $20 bucks for a job well done.

Occasionally, I've filed claims when the installers for broken equipment, and or collateral damage to floors/hallways etc.

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:32 am

Why are some of you going out of your way to perpetuate this ridiculous culture of tipping? I’m an American and have always been one, and I hate this cultural practice. It’s so stupid! Making people do math in sometimes stressful and often hurried situations, making people constantly second guess and worry about what is appropriate in the endless variety of situations. How about companies pay a fair wage, build it into their price, and charge you for it? If you don’t like the price, do it yourself. Reasonable non-monetary courtesies are OK, but tipping should be banned by law as as a form of bribery and / or extortion. You already can’t do this sort of thing in the business world, and for good reason.

You folks that tip all the time, why do you do it, and do you actually like it, or do you just do it because you think it’s expected? I DO tip a fair amount where it is truly expected, like in food service, but it doesn’t mean that I like it or agree with the practice. I’ve enjoyed traveling in Italy where tipping wait staff is a no-no and a borderline insult. I’ve had some of the best meals, and best service of my life on those trips. No one rushes you or constantly comes by and interrupts your meal and conversation to “see if you are still doing OK” (i.e. “working” for the tip). Instead, they watch quietly from a distance and intervene only as needed, usually silently. Never had someone try to steal the fork out of my hand while I’m still eating as happens with surprising frequency in the US. It’s a joke!

[OT comment removed by Moderator Misenplace]

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:45 am

runner3081 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:19 pm
I have not and would never tip in those situations.
+1 The idea is ridiculous.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:51 am

We would tip $10/person up to max $20 total. If they bring 4 people for a 2 person job that's on them.

Your choice, though. I'm pragmatic not principled about tipping.

wootwoot

Post by wootwoot » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:01 am

No, these guys are paid to perform this job by Costco. I've never heard of anyone tipping in this situation.

JHU ALmuni

Post by JHU ALmuni » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:05 am

Not sure why people in this country feel like they need to tip for everything. The guys are getting paid by their employer to do the work, if they don't get paid enough that's between them and their employer.

hornet96

Post by hornet96 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:13 am

Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:32 am
Why are some of you going out of your way to perpetuate this ridiculous culture of tipping? I’m an American and have always been one, and I hate this cultural practice. It’s so stupid! Making people do math in sometimes stressful and often hurried situations, making people constantly second guess and worry about what is appropriate in the endless variety of situations. How about companies pay a fair wage, build it into their price, and charge you for it? If you don’t like the price, do it yourself. Reasonable non-monetary courtesies are OK, but tipping should be banned by law as as a form of bribery and / or extortion. You already can’t do this sort of thing in the business world, and for good reason.

You folks that tip all the time, why do you do it, and do you actually like it, or do you just do it because you think it’s expected? I DO tip a fair amount where it is truly expected, like in food service, but it doesn’t mean that I like it or agree with the practice. I’ve enjoyed traveling in Italy where tipping wait staff is a no-no and a borderline insult. I’ve had some of the best meals, and best service of my life on those trips. No one rushes you or constantly comes by and interrupts your meal and conversation to “see if you are still doing OK” (i.e. “working” for the tip). Instead, they watch quietly from a distance and intervene only as needed, usually silently. Never had someone try to steal the fork out of my hand while I’m still eating as happens with surprising frequency in the US. It’s a joke!

[OT comment removed by Moderator Misenplace]
+1. There was a statement in the movers thread along the lines of “you better tip the movers, lest you get a brick through your window one night.” That isn’t tipping, it’s paying an extortion fee akin to paying the mob to protect yourself.

Tipping culture in the US is ridiculous and out of control, evidenced by this very thread. I would never have dreamed of tipping an appliance mover who is getting paid to do that very job already.

Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:40 am

When our Costco washer & dryer were delivered, they had to take a lot of care to fit them through our unusually narrow doorways. I also asked if they'd stack them (and had the stacking kit on hand). They cheerfully assembled it in place. I gave each of the 2 guys $20 as gratitude for my atypical setup, that saved ME having to hoist and attach the dryer atop the washing machine.

Marylander1

oljack

Post by oljack » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:04 am

I recently had a delivery of a washer and dryer from Costco. The delivery people had a tight space in which to work and they were darned efficient. I tipped them $20 but I gave the tip to one of them while the other was loading the replaced washer and dryer on the truck. Now the question is, did I tip one $20 or did I tip $10 to each? I'll never know.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:06 am

I am a frequent tipper, and usually overtip.

But, the washer and dryer delivery guys will get nothing.
Funding secured

Misenplace

Post by Misenplace » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:43 am

Several off topic and political (wage laws) have been removed. Please keep the discussion focussed on the issue posed- whether, how, and how much to tip a Costco appliance delivery.

Moderator Misenplace

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:43 am

Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:32 am

If you don’t have money to tip, don’t tip. I’m thankful I’ve done well (in no small part thanks to do wise investing) and am thankful I can be generous to tip workers who make my life easier. It makes a bigger difference to most of them than many can imagine.

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:53 am

criticalmass wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:44 am
If you don’t have money to tip, don’t tip. I’m thankful I’ve done well (in no small part thanks to do wise investing) and am thankful I can be generous to tip workers who make my life easier. It makes a bigger difference to most of them than many can imagine.
It's not about not having the money. It's not about the individuals performing the service. It's about a fundamentally flawed system of compensation and an increasing expectation for a gratuity. This is apparently not the appropriate forum for the direction the discussion was headed, so I'll just leave it at that. Agree to disagree.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:06 am

What does costco have to do with it? Are there different rules for costco delivery? If so, follow them.

I recently purchased a deeply discounted dryer from samsung.com. It was delivered by a freight company. My expectations were low. I mostly expected them to dump the thing in my driveway at some point during the delivery day. Instead, they called, showed up when they said, and even helped me move the old dryer out to the garage so I could sell it on Facebook. They did not set the new dryer up, but did at least bring it inside and leave it within a few feet of the final destination. I gave a tip, but I don't remember how much. Probably $10. Not more than $20.

The most surprising thing was how much people will pay for my well-used stuff. $140 for said old dryer and the dude was glad to have it. And people will really overpay for bicycles. Do try selling your junk before putting it out by the curb. It's also better that someone can use my old stuff instead of adding to a landfill/partial recycling.

Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:17 am

There is no requirement of tipping but I like to give each delivery person $5-10. Especially if they work hard and/or are extra friendly. Life is too short to be a cheapskate.

Topic Author
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:17 pm

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

I ended up tipping $20 total to approximately 2 people. The laundry room is on the third floor and the space is not the largest, so I felt it was appropriate despite a few scratches that they left on one of the walls (most came off with a good scrubbing although there is a small dent).

Thanks again!

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:45 pm

need403bhelp wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:17 pm

I ended up tipping $20 total to approximately 2 people. The laundry room is on the third floor and the space is not the largest, so I felt it was appropriate despite a few scratches that they left on one of the walls (most came off with a good scrubbing although there is a small dent).
How much would you have tipped if they didn't put a dent in your wall? :oops:

rich126

Post by rich126 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:25 pm

I know I've had deliveries where the paperwork explicitly stated tipping is not allowed. I'll offer a bottle of water (in AZ it doesn't take much to get hot).

The only time I would offer a tip is if they did something they didn't have to or weren't supposed to do.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:35 pm

What about the guys at Home Depot who load the bags of mulch into your car? I had a big fight with my wife because she wanted to tip them, and I maintained that Home Depot would forbid them from taking tips. Guess who won? They took the tips!

As far as appliance delivery, a decade ago or so, I got a refrigerator from Sears for which I paid Sears for delivery and installation. When the guys came they did an OK job, but were in a terrific hurry to be done. I'm not sure how I found out, but they told me they were independent contractors and were paid $35 for the delivery. No wonder they didn't want to sit around and chat! I was totally amazed. How could anybody make a living at those rates? So, I say go ahead and tip the delivery guys if they do a good job, or even a half-way decent job.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:26 pm

No. In the past I've had appliances delivered by Costco, Lowes, Home Depot, and at least one locally owned retailer, and each time paid the advertised price.

I only tip when I know it is customary (a custom I would like to see us gradually change) and factored into their pay, or when my circumstances pose unusual difficulties the service provider has to overcome or they otherwise exceed expectations.

FireAway

Post by FireAway » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:54 pm

I don't see the need to tip someone for just doing a job that they're already being paid to do. It's amazing to me that tipping has gradually gone from something you do "for extraordinary service", to "just doing your job", to "Well, they didn't put TOO many dents in the wall".

straws46

Post by straws46 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:57 pm

The guys who installed our garage doors just left $40 richer due to this thread. I probably would not have thought about tipping until I saw this thread. But I'm glad I did --- and so are they.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:58 pm

I had white coat delivery for an expensive adjustable bed that required some fairly involved assembly. It was too heavy for me to manage. I had low expectations for these 2 guys but they did an amazing job putting everything together. I was expecting to have to get my son to finish the job, but that was not necessary. I tipped each of them $30 and they really appreciated it.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:04 pm

I tip appliance delivery people and offer them drinks. I so rarely get anything that large delivered so it's maybe $20 at most once a decade? Probably even less than that. I rarely go out to eat or stay at hotels so when I do I'm also very generous with tips there.

I don't tip professionals like plumbers, electricians, etc. but I am hospitable and offer them drinks/restroom/snacks while they are working. It's the Midwestern thing to do. :)
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:04 pm

stan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:51 am
We would tip $10/person up to max $20 total. If they bring 4 people for a 2 person job that's on them.

Your choice, though. I'm pragmatic not principled about tipping.
Ditto. A washer & dryer is a simple install on the first floor, particularly if the dryer is electric.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:53 am

Just got delivery of an expensive recliner this AM. I am restricted from lifting for a while after surgery last week, so I had them move another chair to make room for it. There were 3 of them and I gave them $20 total. They were very appreciative. Also, they will be coming back next month with another delivery, so they should remember me.

It never occurred to me to tip these guys until I read some email threads a while back. However, they provide a valuable service and safely putting furniture in its place without damage is important.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:03 am

In general it is pretty easy to tell when someone does something extra for you during a delivery or service. It can be something like being extra careful, or extra diligent, or willing to do something over and above standard policy, or just being extra courteous and polite. That is when a tip is appropriate and warranted.

Do not tip for people (with exception for workers in standard tip wage dependent jobs) for simply doing their job.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:36 am

When we had our washer/dryer delivered, I just asked them to leave it at the bottom of the stairs and I'd handle it. Not because I wanted to avoid a tip (never even crossed my mind that this was a thing), but because I didn't trust them not to put dents in my wall or set it up correctly.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:14 am

If thei installation was more difficult than usual or they did an exemplary job with a standard installation, I would consider tipping.

Unlike Cheez-It Guy (see his long comment above), I don’t consider the math involved onerous.

Andy.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:20 pm

Marylander1 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:40 am
When our Costco washer & dryer were delivered, they had to take a lot of care to fit them through our unusually narrow doorways. I also asked if they'd stack them (and had the stacking kit on hand). They cheerfully assembled it in place. I gave each of the 2 guys $20 as gratitude for my atypical setup, that saved ME having to hoist and attach the dryer atop the washing machine.

Marylander1
I can see tipping if they do extra work for you, such as in your case. Other than that, I would not tip. They are paid to deliver and install and I expect them to be competent at what they do. I would only tip for extra service. When I bought a safe from Costco, they guy was supposed to drop it off at the bottom of our long driveway. He ended up bringing it up around the back of the house and helping us get it into the house. We tried to tip him $20 for service above the basic, but he wouldn't take it. I almost felt like we offended him!

Boglegirl81

Post by Boglegirl81 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:02 pm

I tipped when I had my washer/dryer last year. They are HUGE! Somehow those two guys got them into my tiny laundry room and stacked them without denting either of them or making any holes in the wall. Miraculous! That couldn’t have been easy.

I agree that tipping is getting out of control though. I bought 3 small things at a local bakery the other day, which came out to almost $11. I swiped my card and the cashier turned the iPad around towards me so I could “tip [my] baker.” :confused I promptly hit the “no tip” button and turned it back around. I like supporting local businesses, but it made me want to go buy a cookie at Safeway next time instead.

Parthenon

Post by Parthenon » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:29 pm

carolinaman wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:53 am
I am restricted from lifting for a while after surgery last week,
I'm curious; did you also tip the surgeon? Apparently he/she did an excellent job too!

Ed
"What am I gonna do if I run out of money?"

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:41 pm

If surgeons were as poorly-compensated as the people who install our appliances, absolutely!

Andy.
Parthenon wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:29 pm
carolinaman wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:53 am
I am restricted from lifting for a while after surgery last week,
I'm curious; did you also tip the surgeon? Apparently he/she did an excellent job too!

Ed

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:03 pm

My previous post is being misconstrued in several ways. The comment about math is essentially true for manually calculating tips based on the bill and trying to add up the correct total at a time when your party is trying to wrap up and leave the restaurant, but it is really meant as a nod to a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode where Larry used a similar line to “protest math” after a meal at a country club where gratuity was included, but he failed to include additional gratuity on top of that and the waiter became insulted and indignant. It’s fair to say that both Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm have informed my opinion on various tipping practices, but it’s because the skewering is so sharp, and so correct. Tipping practices at restaurants are off-topic relative to this thread, so not really helpful in terms of whether you should tip appliance delivery folks.

I do not believe it should be the burden of the consumer to try to make up the perceived gap in compensation for a manual laborer or other service job. I can only restate that by tipping in unnecessary situations, you are perpetuating and deepening the culture, and therefore enabling a further erosion of fair compensation.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:19 pm

I typically will tip the delivery of products to the house.

These are "final mile" companies, not Costco, Lowes, etc. These companies are specifically set up to handle the final delivery of products to homes and businesses (that has nothing to do with whether or not to tip, other than to state they are NOT Costco employees).

Why do I tip? Because I can. Because I worked as a mover during the college days and an extra few bucks was a nice surprise. I remember those days of 12 hours of moving, 6 perhaps 7 days a week. It was a great summer job.

Probably the biggest tip we gave was for an Amish bedroom set which we purchased from a manufacturer in Arthur, Il. The manufacturer had an "Amish Fried Chicken" dinner (it was an open house). The delivery was made by Mennonite man with two Amish helpers. These were heavy pieces of furniture which went upstairs.

We arranged for early morning delivery...they arrived at 615am.

We returned the favor of the chicken dinner with a big breakfast, which they readily accepted along with cash.

It was a very pleasant breakfast. We learned that one of the young Amish men is the boyfriend of the Amish girl who sold us the furniture and they plan on marriage. Both he and the girl were 18 years old at the time....mature beyond their ages. The girl was a stunning sales person. She knew and understood the furniture like she built it herself. Perhaps she did as her father and mother owned the manufacturing company.

So, if you have the chance it is a great weekend to visit that area and tour the companies. The products are not cheap, but well built.

Ed

vshun

Post by vshun » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:00 pm

I swear every week someone on this forum finds some new topic to raise and suggest tipping. Usual arguments: I have enough money and their salary is low, ets etc. Please stop. We all worked at some point I(when young) for minimum wage, and this was an incentive to do better. When your teenage son helps people at Target for minimum wage of 8.25, nobody would think to tip him/her because he does not get enough to afford separate place to live, or need money for college, etc. We should discourage tipping and not find excuse to promote this culture. If they (movers, delivery folks, tour guides, etc) do not get enough they will negotiate a better wage or find another job, like the rest of people working as supermarket cashiers, fast food places, Target helpers, etc who do not rely on tips.

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:28 pm

Started out filling auto batteries, sweeping the floor and putting up bin tags, delivery and pick up of parts @ $2.25 an hour. (1975)

Ten years later the employee handbook limited a tip from a customer to $10.

And we were advised not to accept if used to compromise service to other customers, (moving car ahead in line for quicker repair, etc, a bribe in other words)

SO in order to keep the Moderator happy my answer is a "No"

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:00 pm

One of the reasons to be kind to the least advantaged Ian be precisely that they are not in a position to negotiate for better wages.

That not all low-paying jobs receive tips does not mean that none of them should. Those who want to tip in an specific case should do so, and those who don’t should not. It seems callous to say that nobody should tip.

Andy.

vshun wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:00 pm
I swear every week someone on this forum finds some new topic to raise and suggest tipping. Usual arguments: I have enough money and their salary is low, ets etc. Please stop. We all worked at some point I(when young) for minimum wage, and this was an incentive to do better. When your teenage son helps people at Target for minimum wage of 8.25, nobody would think to tip him/her because he does not get enough to afford separate place to live, or need money for college, etc. We should discourage tipping and not find excuse to promote this culture. If they (movers, delivery folks, tour guides, etc) do not get enough they will negotiate a better wage or find another job, like the rest of people working as supermarket cashiers, fast food places, Target helpers, etc who do not rely on tips.