Quebec City in October

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mtwhmemn

Quebec City in October

Post by mtwhmemn » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:32 am

Wife and I are planning a trip in October over a weekend and through the following Wednesday.

What are the best sites not to miss, what tours should be buy in advance, etc...

(We are staying in a hotel in Old Quebec.)

Where to eat? Just looking for general advice from those that have been tourists there.

Thanks!

David Jay

Re: Quebec City in October

Post by David Jay » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:40 am

Subscribed (we will be there October 6-7).
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:20 am

I nice day trip, if you have a car, is to drive north from Quebec City maybe 10 miles and turn east over a bridge to île d'Orléans, an island about 10x2 miles in the middle of the St. Lawrence River. Drive around the perimeter and stop at shops, chocolate makers, wineries (and wine-like cider from apples), maple syrup.

Going uphill from the old city to the Plains of Abraham; old Citadel. On the way up, crisscross lots of streets seeing many shops and places to eat. At least 50% of it is what I would consider crappy touristy stuff: not interested. But some was OK. The Château Frontenac Hotel, a very large hotel at top of the hill kind of at entrance to the Plains of Abraham: there's like a tunnel you walk through as one way to get onto the Plains. As I recall, the hotel had a very good restaurant, very expensive but there were some times of day where it was less expensive and worth it. But it's a really long walk up that hill.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

grandmacassie

Post by grandmacassie » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:30 am

Great restaurants in QC Old Town. Hard to get bad food unless you order poutine! Service is wonderful, too. I’m not much of a shopper, but the boutique shops are interesting, too. We walked our legs off and had a great time doing it last fall.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:34 pm

GrowthSeeker wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:20 am
I nice day trip, if you have a car, is to drive north from Quebec City maybe 10 miles and turn east over a bridge to île d'Orléans, an island about 10x2 miles in the middle of the St. Lawrence River. Drive around the perimeter and stop at shops, chocolate makers, wineries (and wine-like cider from apples), maple syrup.

Going uphill from the old city to the Plains of Abraham; old Citadel. On the way up, crisscross lots of streets seeing many shops and places to eat. At least 50% of it is what I would consider crappy touristy stuff: not interested. But some was OK. The Château Frontenac Hotel, a very large hotel at top of the hill kind of at entrance to the Plains of Abraham: there's like a tunnel you walk through as one way to get onto the Plains. As I recall, the hotel had a very good restaurant, very expensive but there were some times of day where it was less expensive and worth it. But it's a really long walk up that hill.
Whether you are staying at the Frontenac or not, I would recommend taking one of their (paid) hotel tours. It's conducted by someone in character dating back to the golden era of hotels such as this. Ours was a "maid" but there are several others. Also, at least have a drink or a latte in the main bar and imagine yourself staying there in the early 1900s.
Friar1610

Topic Author
mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:59 pm

Thanks for all the responses. We won't have a car but will definitely do everything else suggested so far! Any further suggestions welcome!

TXJeff

Post by TXJeff » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:40 pm

October is prime time in this area for great fall foliage. Depending on exactly when you're there, maybe get out of the city for a day to enjoy that.

Also, there is the "route du vin" in what are called the "eastern townships"--charming nearby region of villages, small towns, local agriculture and lots of vineyards. Oct is grape harvesting season, arguably the best time of year to visit. The trip is best done with a car, but you can likely find a day tour from QC.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:49 pm

Wow! That must be one of the highest latitude wine regions in the world!

TXJeff

Post by TXJeff » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:09 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:49 pm
Yep, and it's well established for both viniculture and tourism. But not massive "tourist-hordes-overrun-village" type tourism.

Here's a link for the route du vin: https://www.laroutedesvins.ca/en/.
And one for the whole eastern townships region: https://www.easterntownships.org/

drk

Post by drk » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:12 pm

I think it's not even the northernmost in Canada: BC's Okanagan Valley sits between the 49th and 50th parallels. :beer

rennale

Post by rennale » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:37 pm

Don't forget that Canadian Thanksgiving is in October (Monday 14th this year) so that can impact opening times and prices. And allow you to catch two Thanksgivings. :-)

mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:50 pm

We were there in October several years ago. The weather changed suddenly, the wind blew like crazy, and it was freezing cold. So be sure and take appropriate layers. Enjoy!

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:28 am

Why not check out this site:

www.tripadvisor.com
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:38 am

tennisplyr wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:28 am
Why not check out this site:

www.tripadvisor.com
Thanks for the reminder. I used to be a TA regular but I had gotten away from it as we mostly RV and more specific tools.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

Pete12

Post by Pete12 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:36 pm

Here are a few more ideas: viewtopic.php?t=228890

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:43 pm

Yes - to restaurants there - especially in the Old City.

Go to, or perhaps stay at, Le Château Frontenac. The evening Piano Bar is very nice.

Remember that, at this northern location, fall/winter come early.

desiderium

Post by desiderium » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:39 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Similar to some other wine growing regions

Loire Valley France 47.67N
Walla Walla, WA 46.07N
Dundee, OR 45.28N
Lac-Brome, QC 45.18N
Burgundy, France 44.83N

BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:49 pm

The a place in the Old City called Chiq Shack ( take off on Shake Shack) that makes various kinds of poutine with good, roasted potatoes, as opposed to fried. Including a really delicious vegetarian one based on wild mushrooms.

Good inexpensive little place called L'Improviste (off St.Jean) at the corner where Aux Ancienne Canadiens stands. Inexpensive breakfasts and happy hour menus.

We enjoyed the Morrin Center ( formerly a jail) with a lovely old library. Also the Ursuline chapel and school had great informative tours.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:10 am

dm200 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:43 pm
Yes - to restaurants there - especially in the Old City.
Go to, or perhaps stay at, Le Château Frontenac. The evening Piano Bar is very nice.
Remember that, at this northern location, fall/winter come early.
Back many decades ago, I stayed there for a night or two in mid-winter. It was great - and, at that time, within my budget. I cannot recall the exact charge per night.

I looked online to see the current charges - out of sight HIGH!!!

Well beyond my budget today!! Yikes!! :dollar :dollar :dollar

Stop by, though, and walk through the lobby and surroundings. Maybe, check out the piano bar in the evening.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:18 am

UpperNwGuy wrote:
They grow wine grapes in southern England - latitude 50 degrees N (and north). Indeed they grow wine grapes in Yorkshire (which must be something like 53 degrees N). The dampness is historically more of a problem than the latitude.

Quebec City is latitude 46 degrees N.

http://user42029.vs.easily.co.uk/?p=447

turns out they grow wine grapes in Norway at latitude 59 degrees. Who knew?

A mistake the explorers & settlers made in coming to the New World was that climate would be equivalent to the same latitude in Europe. They didn't know about the North American winter (New York City is on the same latitude as Madrid).

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:21 am

TXJeff wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:40 pm
October is prime time in this area for great fall foliage. Depending on exactly when you're there, maybe get out of the city for a day to enjoy that.

Also, there is the "route du vin" in what are called the "eastern townships"--charming nearby region of villages, small towns, local agriculture and lots of vineyards. Oct is grape harvesting season, arguably the best time of year to visit. The trip is best done with a car, but you can likely find a day tour from QC.
I think you can book a bus tour from in Quebec City itself.

We did that in Boston but managed a year in which drought had meant there was almost no colour. Was fun getting out of town in a tour bus where someone else worries about directions and traffic, though.

For the second half of our trip we then had rains so bad in NY-Boston that emergencies were declared in some areas ;-).

msk

Post by msk » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:36 am

I lived in Quebec City for a year. Beautiful place! Just walk around and enjoy. Plenty of very nice restaurants. If you see French Canadians going in as customers, just follow them in. They probably know something you as a tourist do not. How do you recognize the Quebecois? Hint: They talk to each other in French... By the way, note that October can be quite cold; ears about to fall off cold. Or very pleasant. Good luck!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:58 am

It has been a long time since I was in Quebec City - but I, vaguely, recall several restaurant meal choices that are unique there. Maybe someone else can comment.

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:35 pm

mfswatz9 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:50 pm
We were there in October several years ago. The weather changed suddenly, the wind blew like crazy, and it was freezing cold. So be sure and take appropriate layers. Enjoy!
This is all I was going to say. In the summer of 1981, I worked in Burlington, VT, and a friend and I took a weekend driving trip to Montreal and Quebec City in August. We were dressed for summer, and we absolutely froze in Quebec City--the stores were already selling hats and mittens. So be prepared, and have a great time!