United Premium Plus vs ANA Premium Economy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
MrsRoos

United Premium Plus vs ANA Premium Economy

Post by MrsRoos » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:07 pm

Would you recommend flying United Premium Plus or ANA Premium Economy seats, both on the Boeing 777 plane? The DH and I will be taking a trans-Pacific trip to Tokyo early next year.

I know this question is probably better suited for a frequent flyer forum like Flyertalk but I am not going to create an account to ask one question. TIA for any comments/recommendations!
“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” - Kenneth Boulding

Topic Author
MrsRoos

Re: United Premium Plus vs ANA Premium Economy

Post by MrsRoos » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:40 pm

Bump!
“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” - Kenneth Boulding

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:44 pm

While Premium Plus has nice fancy sears, I say the ANA hands down if the legroom is somewhat comparable. The service is top notch. The food is also Much better on ANA.

I just flew on United to Narita and ANA to Ho Chi Minh.
Last edited by fareastwarriors on Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:54 pm

United Premium Plus is a new product. Many may not be familiar with it and I'll admit I have not flown in it yet so what I'm posting is about premium economy in general. Premium Plus is a different seat more like a domestic first class seat with a leg rest. It is not Economy Plus with the same seat and more leg room.

What is the cost difference between UA and ANA (and JAL)? There could be large differences and that may lean you one way over the other. In terms of comfort they are probably similar unless you are taller or bigger than average. Food is not business class on either and is not why I fly. ANA does get you lounge access but whether you can take advantage of it or not depends on your itinerary. United will sell you discounted lounge access. Maybe you have Star Alliance status that gets you lounge access anyways.

Also make sure you check to see if you get a business class seat for less than premium economy or maybe only 10% more (yes sometimes it is possible due to the small size of the premium economy cabin). Less likely on a route into Japan but not impossible.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:06 pm

For me, it depends on the price difference. If you have an AmEx card that earns their points, you can "bid" for an upgrade now on some airlines. I plan to try that the next time I'm unwilling to pay the cash price.

Topic Author
MrsRoos

Post by MrsRoos » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:39 pm

Thanks everyone. I should have mentioned in my original post that there is no price difference and the itinerary is quite similar.

traveler901

Post by traveler901 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:50 pm

I'd go with ANA

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:39 am

traveler901 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:50 pm
I'd go with ANA
This!

I am a United and ANA frequent flier. Have not noticed any difference in the legroom since I am small.

To me personally, the food is the #1 deciding factor. I find United food not suited for my palate. ANA's food is day and night different. I actually enjoy it. How often can you say that about the airline food?

Service-wise, with United, it is a hit or miss. OTOH, I have never met a ANA flight attendant who didn't smile and greet me as if I was a joy to serve. I usually wear my most comfortable, thus not the most "presentable", clothes for these brutal trans-pacific flights. That perhaps contributed to how I am treated on the flight.

BTW, of the same routes that carried by ANA, the prices are usually higher, at least from my airport.

niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:16 am

Are you looking at the same itenary but on two different airline websites because it is a code share flight?

Or are the time of the flights different but both have same departure and arrival airports?
Last edited by niceguy7376 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

scophreak

Post by scophreak » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:19 am

niceguy7376 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:16 am
Are you looking at the same itenary but on two different airline websites because it is a code share flight?

Or are the time of the flights different but both have same departure and arrival flights?
Good question...OP mentioned that itineraries were "quite similar", which I assumed to mean "not identical".

DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:56 pm

On a 777 I believe the seat configuration will be 2-4-2. Availability of a seat on the 2 person side (and certainly not being in the middle) could be a major deciding factor assuming other considerations are similar (e.g. schedule, cost). However will agree with sentiments that if everything (including seat selection) is looking similar, including seat map availability, I'd generally expect better service on ANA.

Have not flown Premium Economy on ANA or United. I can say that Virgin Australia and Qantas Premium Economy "soft product" (e.g. everything other than the seat) was far superior than on American on the exact same LAX-SYD routes. Speculation indeed, however I would not be surprised if there is a similar difference in comparing ANA vs. United. Particularly meal service, on the non-US carriers Virgin Australia and Qantas, was very close to a real business class meal whereas on American food was the exact same as regular economy and drinks served in plastic cups.

mayday23

Post by mayday23 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:48 pm

I wasn't impressed with United Premium Plus on our flight home from Paris. Barely better than Economy Plus, not nearly as good as AA / Qantas PE. I haven't flown ANA, but i'd choose that.

Create an account on Flyertalk. It takes 2 mins to potentially make a 12+ hr flight better.