Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RJC
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by RJC » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:02 pm

Dear Friends,

What is the consensus here about wedding/engagement ring insurance? Is it worth having? Is there a point where you can stop paying it?

Our insurance is about $300 a year and covers a ring that was purchased for around $15,000 (8 years ago).

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
TxAg
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:09 am

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by TxAg » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:12 pm

We decided that my wife is getting a CZ if she loses th real thing. We don't have insurance on it.

Our mentality is to own our possessions rather than let them own us.

sksavers3
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:59 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by sksavers3 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:26 pm

I always thought we’d get around to insuring my $10k engagement ring but dragged my feet getting the required appraisal. Now (14 years into marriage!) my husband just says he’d buy me a new ring if something happened to mine. But...after this long (and with 3 kids’ expenses), I am not sure I’d be willing to use our money for another ring. But I’m kind of unsentimental in that I bought myself an anniversary band ($900) at Costco. I’m glad I have enjoyed the ring and I do love it but I’m also glad not to keep paying to own it.

We do pay about $20/year for up to $3k of “unscheduled jewelry watches and computers” through homeowners insurance.

TallBoy29er
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by TallBoy29er » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:29 pm

Nah, dropped it. At some point the projected cumulative cost of insurance didn't make sense for a sentimental piece that cannot be replaced. Save the coin.

runner3081
Posts: 2353
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by runner3081 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:41 pm

We never purchased it. Wife's ring was about $2.5k, mine was $200.

There was some free. limited coverage based on 6 month cleanings for life. We even let that lapse.

Funny related note, we just hit 13 years and neither one of us have worn our rings in over two years. They sit in an envelope in the clost, haha.

stoptothink
Posts: 6053
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by stoptothink » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:43 pm

TxAg wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:12 pm
We decided that my wife is getting a CZ if she loses th real thing. We don't have insurance on it.

Our mentality is to own our possessions rather than let them own us.
This is why my wife picked a $500 ring (that sits in a box) and then has about half a dozen $2-$10 rings that she actually wears. I'm definitely noticing that expensive engagement rings are becoming less of a thing in younger generations.

Starfish
Posts: 1341
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by Starfish » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:45 pm

Our rings combined are worth at most 500$. So no insurance.

sg0422
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:59 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by sg0422 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:45 pm

I insured my wife’s ring with Jeweler’s Mutual. $75 annually for $7.5k of coverage. It covers loss and theft domestically and internationally.

DinkinFlicka
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:10 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by DinkinFlicka » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:09 pm

We insured my fiancee's ring through Jewelers Mutual. Even though the cost of the ring was low, she's not to used wearing relatively expensive jewelry so the $30/yr was worth the peace of mind. Maybe after a couple years, we'll drop it.

PavlovsCat
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:57 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by PavlovsCat » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:20 pm

Wife has around a $15k ring. We bought insurance, pretty inexpensively. She cracked the center diamond, valued at over $10k from the crown straight to the bottom. Had to pay a deductible of $1k, got it replaced with a less expensive diamond, pocketed the difference. Diamonds are a sham, but if you get an expensive one, get it insured.

Edit: much cheaper to insure through our primary insurance provider than a secondary company.
Last edited by PavlovsCat on Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbuzolich
Posts: 315
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by jbuzolich » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:26 pm

I just nudged up the home owners insurance for scheduled items like the ring and higher coverage on unscheduled jewelry and precious metals. Think it added $115 total yearly to the bill so I kept it. Wife has misplaced the ring more than once and got very emotional about losing it. Thankfully it was found each time, but we'll be compensated if it does get lost.
My band is only a couple hundred in Platinum and I'm too fat to wear it right now. Lol

User avatar
simplesimon
Posts: 3348
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:53 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by simplesimon » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:43 am

RJC wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:02 pm
Dear Friends,

What is the consensus here about wedding/engagement ring insurance? Is it worth having? Is there a point where you can stop paying it?

Our insurance is about $300 a year and covers a ring that was purchased for around $15,000 (8 years ago).

Thanks in advance.
Your rate sounds high, maybe 1.5x more than similar coverage that I have. Who is your insurer? We went with Jewelers Mutual.

JoeRetire
Posts: 2968
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by JoeRetire » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:58 am

RJC wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:02 pm
What is the consensus here about wedding/engagement ring insurance? Is it worth having? Is there a point where you can stop paying it?
My wife and I disagreed about the value of this insurance. I said it wasn't worthwhile. She seemed to think buying the insurance would ensure that the ring wouldn't be lost. So of course we bought the insurance as a rider on our homeowner's insurance.

While I still disagree, it wasn't very expensive and has been peace of mind money well spent. I guess.

Happy wife, happy life.

Topic Author
RJC
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by RJC » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:00 am

simplesimon wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:43 am
RJC wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:02 pm
Dear Friends,

What is the consensus here about wedding/engagement ring insurance? Is it worth having? Is there a point where you can stop paying it?

Our insurance is about $300 a year and covers a ring that was purchased for around $15,000 (8 years ago).

Thanks in advance.
Your rate sounds high, maybe 1.5x more than similar coverage that I have. Who is your insurer? We went with Jewelers Mutual.
We have Jeweler's Mutual as well. After looking at their statement, it appears that the appraised value is around 30k now (which I find hard to believe...).

Topic Author
RJC
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by RJC » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:02 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:58 am
RJC wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:02 pm
What is the consensus here about wedding/engagement ring insurance? Is it worth having? Is there a point where you can stop paying it?
My wife and I disagreed about the value of this insurance. I said it wasn't worthwhile. She seemed to think buying the insurance would ensure that the ring wouldn't be lost. So of course we bought the insurance as a rider on our homeowner's insurance.

While I still disagree, it wasn't very expensive and has been peace of mind money well spent. I guess.

Happy wife, happy life.
I'd like to get rid of it. I feel like there's a point somewhere when it's not worth paying every year.

User avatar
simplesimon
Posts: 3348
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:53 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by simplesimon » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:05 am

RJC wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:00 am
simplesimon wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:43 am
RJC wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:02 pm
Dear Friends,

What is the consensus here about wedding/engagement ring insurance? Is it worth having? Is there a point where you can stop paying it?

Our insurance is about $300 a year and covers a ring that was purchased for around $15,000 (8 years ago).

Thanks in advance.
Your rate sounds high, maybe 1.5x more than similar coverage that I have. Who is your insurer? We went with Jewelers Mutual.
We have Jeweler's Mutual as well. After looking at their statement, it appears that the appraised value is around 30k now (which I find hard to believe...).
Yes that sounds a bit inflated and you may be paying a higher premium as a result. You should be able to reduce the coverage and the premium.

Try shopping for a ring with the same specs right now and see what it would cost. Assuming yours is not custom made that'll provide you a reference point.

User avatar
simplesimon
Posts: 3348
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:53 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by simplesimon » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:07 am

RJC wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:02 am
I'd like to get rid of it. I feel like there's a point somewhere when it's not worth paying every year.
Assuming the premium is competitive, it reflects the risk of loss. The variable here is your risk tolerance.

Topic Author
RJC
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by RJC » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:30 am

PavlovsCat wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:20 pm
Wife has around a $15k ring. We bought insurance, pretty inexpensively. She cracked the center diamond, valued at over $10k from the crown straight to the bottom. Had to pay a deductible of $1k, got it replaced with a less expensive diamond, pocketed the difference. Diamonds are a sham, but if you get an expensive one, get it insured.

Edit: much cheaper to insure through our primary insurance provider than a secondary company.
It's definitely a sham. That is why I am having a hard time paying insurance for it.

User avatar
simplesimon
Posts: 3348
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:53 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by simplesimon » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:43 am

RJC wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:30 am
PavlovsCat wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:20 pm
Wife has around a $15k ring. We bought insurance, pretty inexpensively. She cracked the center diamond, valued at over $10k from the crown straight to the bottom. Had to pay a deductible of $1k, got it replaced with a less expensive diamond, pocketed the difference. Diamonds are a sham, but if you get an expensive one, get it insured.

Edit: much cheaper to insure through our primary insurance provider than a secondary company.
It's definitely a sham. That is why I am having a hard time paying insurance for it.
The fact that the replacement may cost you $15k+ is how this should be viewed, sham or not. If you're having a hard time paying insurance for it, I bet you really did not want to buy the diamond in the first place.

User avatar
carorun
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:53 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by carorun » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:45 am

Look into a rider on your homeowners policy. Insurance for my ring is less than $100/year.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 8286
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:55 am

None.
DW and I don't see the use in it vs be careful with it as one would any valuable.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

deltaneutral83
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:25 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by deltaneutral83 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:04 am

carorun wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:45 am
Look into a rider on your homeowners policy. Insurance for my ring is less than $100/year.
Does it cover damage, lost, theft, domestic and foreign? My premium was 1.14% of the value with a $1k deduc through JM. I am thinking about calling homeowners at the end of the cycle if this is the case on homeowners.

mmmodem
Posts: 1703
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by mmmodem » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:11 am

DW got pregnant the first year we were married. She could no longer fit the engagement ring. She was against resizing as she would lose the weight afterwards. We were able to find a cubic zirconia that looked similar for about $100. And that is what she has worn for the last decade. The engagement ring just sits in the safe. I guess we sorta insured the ring for a one time cost of $100 with a $100 deductible.

SuperSaver1975
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:33 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by SuperSaver1975 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:12 am

My wife had an engagement ring worth about $10,000 thanks to my MIL giving me a family heirloom diamond to use in it. I bought the setting. When my wife and I bought our first townhouse, we put a rider in our homeowner's insurance to insure the ring. Later, when we moved to another state & bought a new house, we kept the same insurance company and instructed our insurance agent to keep the same rider on the ring. After some time we hired a maid service to clean every 2 weeks. It was my wife's idea, I didn't like it. I said "sooner or later, they are going to steal from us". And they did. A maid stole my wife's ring, and sold it at a local pawn shop for $500. By the time we figured this out, the ring had long since left the pawn shop (melted down, diamond gone).

It turned out that the insurance agent never put the rider for the ring in the insurance policy after we moved to a new house. He messed up, and we also messed up by not catching his mistake. It was a real shock to report our loss to the insurance company, only to find out that the rider that we had previously & specifically instructed to be in our policy was not there. Eventually a persistent local cop was able to get the (former) maid to confess, even though she could have got away with it if she stonewalled. She was found guilty in a court and ordered to pay us $10,000 (which took years to collect).

I think an insurance rider on a valuable engagement ring is a good idea.

User avatar
msi
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by msi » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:13 am

We use Jeweler's Mutual.

I would think if you put a ring on your homeowner's insurance and then need to make a claim, your premiums for the entire policy, not just the rider will go up?

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 4211
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by lthenderson » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:21 am

We didn't get any insurance on our $1.2k engagement ring that my wife wore for three months until we got married. In all the decades since, it has sat in a box in her closet.

HereToLearn
Posts: 487
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by HereToLearn » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:29 am

RJC wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:00 am
simplesimon wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:43 am
RJC wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:02 pm
Dear Friends,

What is the consensus here about wedding/engagement ring insurance? Is it worth having? Is there a point where you can stop paying it?

Our insurance is about $300 a year and covers a ring that was purchased for around $15,000 (8 years ago).

Thanks in advance.
Your rate sounds high, maybe 1.5x more than similar coverage that I have. Who is your insurer? We went with Jewelers Mutual.
We have Jeweler's Mutual as well. After looking at their statement, it appears that the appraised value is around 30k now (which I find hard to believe...).
Your insurer may require a new appraisal in order to reduce the level of coverage to $15K. Annoyingly, my insurer bumps the value by 6%/year, even though the value of the insured item has not increased at that rate. The only way to have my insurer reduce the insured value was to submit a new appraisal.

Topic Author
RJC
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by RJC » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:44 am

simplesimon wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:43 am
RJC wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:30 am
PavlovsCat wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:20 pm
Wife has around a $15k ring. We bought insurance, pretty inexpensively. She cracked the center diamond, valued at over $10k from the crown straight to the bottom. Had to pay a deductible of $1k, got it replaced with a less expensive diamond, pocketed the difference. Diamonds are a sham, but if you get an expensive one, get it insured.

Edit: much cheaper to insure through our primary insurance provider than a secondary company.
It's definitely a sham. That is why I am having a hard time paying insurance for it.
The fact that the replacement may cost you $15k+ is how this should be viewed, sham or not. If you're having a hard time paying insurance for it, I bet you really did not want to buy the diamond in the first place.
I was fine buying it 8 years ago but the more I learned about the diamond industry, the more I view it as a sham.

John Doe 123
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:48 am

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by John Doe 123 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:50 am

RJC wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:02 pm
Your insurer may require a new appraisal in order to reduce the level of coverage to $15K. Annoyingly, my insurer bumps the value by 6%/year, even though the value of the insured item has not increased at that rate. The only way to have my insurer reduce the insured value was to submit a new appraisal.

I had Jewelers Mutual for the first couple of years. They did try to raise the premium on us by an automatic rate every year. I told them not to do it or I was going to find a new insurer. They removed that auto-increase.

I custom made my wife's ring and Jewelers Mutual were the only ones I could find that would insure loose stones. I was not comfortable with the risk of having loose stones floating around in my house. As a young man the loose diamonds I bought were quite expensive for me, so I wanted to have them insured.

I updated the policy once it had been put into the setting and we did keep it for a couple years. I eventually dropped it when I realized that we could cash flow the cost of a new ring and that if my wife loses it, then the blow will be sentimental and not financial.

barnaclebob
Posts: 3829
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:06 am

We had our rings insured with our homeowners policy. It was pretty cheap, less than $100 a year with a $200 deductible.

KT785
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:21 pm
Location: Texas Hill Country

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by KT785 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:12 am

We have a valuable personal property policy from USAA on my wife's jewelry: wedding set is scheduled and there's blanket coverage for the rest. Premium is around $200 per year and the scheduled wedding set is valued at around $10,000.

Ostensibly, the policy also covers all jewelry in the house, including my Apple watch and wedding band (neither of much monetary value)--her wedding set had to be specifically scheduled given its value is over a certain threshold.

One thing to note, many HO policies have low limits on jewelry coverage and, in our case, our HO deductible is higher than the jewelry limit anyway. Accordingly, having a separate policy for jewelry allows us to fill that coverage gap . . . and provides broader coverage than a HO policy.

KT785

LiterallyIronic
Posts: 1277
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:36 am

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by LiterallyIronic » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:16 am

The only thing I've ever spent $15,000+ on is my house and it's insured. I'd insure anything I spent that much money on.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 3579
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:38 am

Big difference in cost between a jewelry policy sold by a jewelry store and personal property on a homeowner's / renter's policy. We have $13,500 of listed items and pay $26.40 per year. Imagine if a piece of jewelry simply falls off (necklace breaks). Or stones fall out of a setting.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

rjbraun
Posts: 1440
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by rjbraun » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:32 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:38 am
Big difference in cost between a jewelry policy sold by a jewelry store and personal property on a homeowner's / renter's policy. We have $13,500 of listed items and pay $26.40 per year. Imagine if a piece of jewelry simply falls off (necklace breaks). Or stones fall out of a setting.
Less than $30 premium to cover $13,500 of jewelry? What is the deductible? Does it cover the full $13,500 if all of the listed items are lost or damaged?

That sounds too good to be true. If all the jewelry "simply falls off" or stones go missing, it's hard to believe that under $30 annually will result in the policy holder receiving a check for $13,500.

What am I missing?

oldfatguy
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:38 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by oldfatguy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:42 am

I've never owned or purchased a ring that was worth insuring.

John Doe 123
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:48 am

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by John Doe 123 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:00 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:32 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:38 am
Big difference in cost between a jewelry policy sold by a jewelry store and personal property on a homeowner's / renter's policy. We have $13,500 of listed items and pay $26.40 per year. Imagine if a piece of jewelry simply falls off (necklace breaks). Or stones fall out of a setting.
Less than $30 premium to cover $13,500 of jewelry? What is the deductible? Does it cover the full $13,500 if all of the listed items are lost or damaged?

That sounds too good to be true. If all the jewelry "simply falls off" or stones go missing, it's hard to believe that under $30 annually will result in the policy holder receiving a check for $13,500.

What am I missing?
Either RickBoglehead has a high deductible, is getting a steep discount on his individual article policy because he buys a lot of other insurance, or does not truly have the coverage in policy that he describes (protection against loss+damage). I believe many homeowner policies will cover theft but not mysterious disappearance or damage.

Jags4186
Posts: 3678
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:05 pm

Our policy was $234 in 2019 for $16k of coverage and $0 deductible. It feels like throwing money away, but if the ring were to be lost or damaged my wife would want it replaced so I keep it.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 3579
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:10 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:32 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:38 am
Big difference in cost between a jewelry policy sold by a jewelry store and personal property on a homeowner's / renter's policy. We have $13,500 of listed items and pay $26.40 per year. Imagine if a piece of jewelry simply falls off (necklace breaks). Or stones fall out of a setting.
Less than $30 premium to cover $13,500 of jewelry? What is the deductible? Does it cover the full $13,500 if all of the listed items are lost or damaged?

That sounds too good to be true. If all the jewelry "simply falls off" or stones go missing, it's hard to believe that under $30 annually will result in the policy holder receiving a check for $13,500.

What am I missing?
There is no deductible on scheduled personal property. There are 6 or 8 items listed.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

rjbraun
Posts: 1440
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by rjbraun » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:35 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:10 pm
rjbraun wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:32 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:38 am
Big difference in cost between a jewelry policy sold by a jewelry store and personal property on a homeowner's / renter's policy. We have $13,500 of listed items and pay $26.40 per year. Imagine if a piece of jewelry simply falls off (necklace breaks). Or stones fall out of a setting.
Less than $30 premium to cover $13,500 of jewelry? What is the deductible? Does it cover the full $13,500 if all of the listed items are lost or damaged?

That sounds too good to be true. If all the jewelry "simply falls off" or stones go missing, it's hard to believe that under $30 annually will result in the policy holder receiving a check for $13,500.

What am I missing?
There is no deductible on scheduled personal property. There are 6 or 8 items listed.
Sounds like a great deal. Wish I had that policy when a diamond stud earring went down the drain. That said, none of my jewelry is covered, though if I could get a deal like yours, I would reconsider my stance.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 3579
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:51 pm

I have a relative with USAA (I am with AMICA) with similar scheduled property coverage and price.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

rjbraun
Posts: 1440
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by rjbraun » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:28 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:51 pm
I have a relative with USAA (I am with AMICA) with similar scheduled property coverage and price.
Thanks for that info. I don't have a military connection and so presumably would not qualify for USAA coverage, but I will consider AMICA when I do my inevitable comparison shopping after Chubb sends me a higher premium invoice with my renewal.

dboeger1
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by dboeger1 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:36 pm

Think about this logically and philosophically. What is insurance? Commercial insurance is essentially just offloading and pooling risk for a cost. Insurance companies are big businesses that make good money by effectively estimating and capitalizing on risk. They do everything in their power to tilt the edge in their favor. In that sense, they're not all that fundamentally different from casinos. Yes, you might win on a slot pull, but on average, the casino comes out ahead.

So why would any sane person go to a casino? For entertainment and the thrill of having a chance to win money. That's worth something to many people, right? Similarly, people buy insurance for peace of mind in the event of an unexpected loss. Ultimately, it's up to each individual to determine what that's worth to them. There are perfectly legitimate times to insure something. For example, most people aren't financially prepared to endure the loss of their home, so they buy home insurance. This is an effective means of protecting one's investment for an affordable cost, since the alternatives are to simply buy less home or make way more money, which can often be out of reach for typical families.

Here are my problems with buying wedding/engagement ring insurance:

1) This is arguably your first purchase as a committed couple. You're signing up to live a long and happy life together. If you can't afford to self-insure your ring because it's too expensive for your financial comfort level, it's too expensive, and you're starting your marriage off on the wrong foot when it comes to spending. How are you going to cope with funding retirement, children's educations, taxes, etc.? This is literally the very first thing. Let's say you were to take up playing a new instrument. You probably wouldn't buy the most expensive one of its kind on the first day and apply for your national symphony orchestra. The marriage absolutely should not live or die by whether the ring is insured (and if it does, that's a bad sign).

2) Ring purchases are done at a time of extreme emotional ups and downs, and are less likely to come from a place of calm unbiased clarity, which means you're probably over-spending as it is (we all do to an extent, it's a natural thing to celebrate). Again, feeling the need to insure your rings is just a signal that you've taken it so far that even your excited newlywed self is skeptical. It's like coming to the realization that you have to spend most of your income to insure an exotic car that you just bought with your entire life savings.

3) I know marriage can feel magical at first, but at the end of the day, it's still just a ring. That may not be a popular thing to say, but I've only been married 4 years, and I can tell you the wedding euphoria is far from eternal. So much of marriage is debating whose turn it is to do the laundry and boring stuff like that. I promise you that whether or not the ring gets lost is near the very bottom of long-term marriage priorities.

4) It's easy to get sold on insuring small stuff when you're young and have less income and savings. Don't make the mistake of assuming that you'll be in the same financial position forever. Buying a house is typically the exception rather than the norm, because people tend to borrow several times their annual income to afford them, so there's a certain long-term confidence in insuring a home. But for all you know, you and your bride might double your collective income before you know it. Or heck, it could go the other way, and you could have children sooner than you anticipated who could use that ring insurance money to pay for their needs. A lot can change relatively quickly early on in marriage, so your personal valuation of the coverage may only be appropriate for a brief snapshot in time.

5) People "renew" these kinds of things all the time. It may sound cheesy, but again, if you end up being far more successful than you anticipated, you might find that you can afford a much nicer 10th anniversary ring, a second honeymoon, etc. My wife and I actually didn't have a proper wedding ceremony with family and everything. We got married on a whim while I was visiting her overseas, and that was it. She still bugs me about it to this day, saying I owe her a wedding. The beautiful irony of it all is that at the time, a wedding would have set us back in a major way, but now, we both make more than enough that we could splurge on an extravagant ceremony and pay for all our relatives to fly to some exotic location, and it would be a fraction of our annual income. I used to make fun of the idea of "renewing" vows and stuff like that, but now that I have witnessed the compounding potential of delaying gratification, I realize a financially sound marriage is actually a great reason to celebrate time and time again through the years.

6) As others have already mentioned, there's something sentimental about THE ring, and getting a replacement through insurance is not really the same thing. At that point, you may as well invest what would have been the premiums, and by the time it might get lost, you will likely be able to afford a substantially nicer replacement anyway, one that gets picked out as a couple.

At the end of the day, all of these points really just boil down to the same thing, which is that if you insure everything, the only ones saving money are the insurance companies, because you're doing the selling for them. Insurance is not something you should do willy nilly just because somebody told you it was a good idea. Do it with intention. Buy insurance when you know what it is you're buying and what it's worth to you. Don't buy it because you've been tricked into believing that it will magically prevent anything bad from ever happening to you. It doesn't do that by magic, it does it with your money, and it will bleed you dry like a casino bleeds a gambling addict dry. But if you use it sparingly to protect certain things that you are unprepared to replace with your own savings, then sure, it can be used to great effect.

JoeRetire
Posts: 2968
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by JoeRetire » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:47 pm

RJC wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:02 am
JoeRetire wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:58 am
RJC wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:02 pm
What is the consensus here about wedding/engagement ring insurance? Is it worth having? Is there a point where you can stop paying it?
My wife and I disagreed about the value of this insurance. I said it wasn't worthwhile. She seemed to think buying the insurance would ensure that the ring wouldn't be lost. So of course we bought the insurance as a rider on our homeowner's insurance.

While I still disagree, it wasn't very expensive and has been peace of mind money well spent. I guess.

Happy wife, happy life.
I'd like to get rid of it. I feel like there's a point somewhere when it's not worth paying every year.
I completely agree! For me, it's never been worth paying every year.

But that wasn't solely my decision to make. And so it goes...

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 3693
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by unclescrooge » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:08 pm

TxAg wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:12 pm
We decided that my wife is getting a CZ if she loses th real thing. We don't have insurance on it.

Our mentality is to own our possessions rather than let them own us.
That's what I told my wife when I first bought her engagement ring.

In actuality it will be a moissanite stone. Chemically similar in composition to diamonds, but 1/10th the price.
Last edited by unclescrooge on Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 3693
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by unclescrooge » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:11 pm

SuperSaver1975 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:12 am
My wife had an engagement ring worth about $10,000 thanks to my MIL giving me a family heirloom diamond to use in it. I bought the setting. When my wife and I bought our first townhouse, we put a rider in our homeowner's insurance to insure the ring. Later, when we moved to another state & bought a new house, we kept the same insurance company and instructed our insurance agent to keep the same rider on the ring. After some time we hired a maid service to clean every 2 weeks. It was my wife's idea, I didn't like it. I said "sooner or later, they are going to steal from us". And they did. A maid stole my wife's ring, and sold it at a local pawn shop for $500. By the time we figured this out, the ring had long since left the pawn shop (melted down, diamond gone).

It turned out that the insurance agent never put the rider for the ring in the insurance policy after we moved to a new house. He messed up, and we also messed up by not catching his mistake. It was a real shock to report our loss to the insurance company, only to find out that the rider that we had previously & specifically instructed to be in our policy was not there. Eventually a persistent local cop was able to get the (former) maid to confess, even though she could have got away with it if she stonewalled. She was found guilty in a court and ordered to pay us $10,000 (which took years to collect).

I think an insurance rider on a valuable engagement ring is a good idea.
How did you collect on that judgement?

rj342
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:21 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by rj342 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:11 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:21 am
We didn't get any insurance on our $1.2k engagement ring that my wife wore for three months until we got married. In all the decades since, it has sat in a box in her closet.
Mine wears her relatively modest solitaire ring everyday as a school teacher, along with a wrap with a couple more diamonds I got her at 10 year mark (forget exactly what they call that). Has the setting checked periodically.

I would say Rule Zero -- don't buy one so expensive you think it needs insurance.

I had the advantage of buying it while we were still in college so even if I'd followed the industry peddled salary multiplier rule it would not have hurt me too much :mrgreen:

protagonist
Posts: 5903
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by protagonist » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:40 pm

RJC wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:02 pm
Dear Friends,

What is the consensus here about wedding/engagement ring insurance? Is it worth having? Is there a point where you can stop paying it?

Our insurance is about $300 a year and covers a ring that was purchased for around $15,000 (8 years ago).

Thanks in advance.
Though the answer may be quite depressing, you might want to go to a jeweler and ask about the resale value of that ring that retailed and was appraised for $15K. Precious stones are terrible investments.

stoptothink
Posts: 6053
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by stoptothink » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:42 pm

protagonist wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:40 pm
RJC wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:02 pm
Dear Friends,

What is the consensus here about wedding/engagement ring insurance? Is it worth having? Is there a point where you can stop paying it?

Our insurance is about $300 a year and covers a ring that was purchased for around $15,000 (8 years ago).

Thanks in advance.
Though the answer may be quite depressing, you might want to go to a jeweler and ask about the resale value of that ring that retailed and was appraised for $15K. Precious stones are terrible investments.
One of my best friends was engaged when we met ~15yrs ago. He spent $44k on the ring and sold it for $12k about a year later after it didn't work out.

Topic Author
RJC
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by RJC » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:51 pm

dboeger1 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:36 pm
Think about this logically and philosophically. What is insurance? Commercial insurance is essentially just offloading and pooling risk for a cost. Insurance companies are big businesses that make good money by effectively estimating and capitalizing on risk. They do everything in their power to tilt the edge in their favor. In that sense, they're not all that fundamentally different from casinos. Yes, you might win on a slot pull, but on average, the casino comes out ahead.

So why would any sane person go to a casino? For entertainment and the thrill of having a chance to win money. That's worth something to many people, right? Similarly, people buy insurance for peace of mind in the event of an unexpected loss. Ultimately, it's up to each individual to determine what that's worth to them. There are perfectly legitimate times to insure something. For example, most people aren't financially prepared to endure the loss of their home, so they buy home insurance. This is an effective means of protecting one's investment for an affordable cost, since the alternatives are to simply buy less home or make way more money, which can often be out of reach for typical families.

Here are my problems with buying wedding/engagement ring insurance:

1) This is arguably your first purchase as a committed couple. You're signing up to live a long and happy life together. If you can't afford to self-insure your ring because it's too expensive for your financial comfort level, it's too expensive, and you're starting your marriage off on the wrong foot when it comes to spending. How are you going to cope with funding retirement, children's educations, taxes, etc.? This is literally the very first thing. Let's say you were to take up playing a new instrument. You probably wouldn't buy the most expensive one of its kind on the first day and apply for your national symphony orchestra. The marriage absolutely should not live or die by whether the ring is insured (and if it does, that's a bad sign).

2) Ring purchases are done at a time of extreme emotional ups and downs, and are less likely to come from a place of calm unbiased clarity, which means you're probably over-spending as it is (we all do to an extent, it's a natural thing to celebrate). Again, feeling the need to insure your rings is just a signal that you've taken it so far that even your excited newlywed self is skeptical. It's like coming to the realization that you have to spend most of your income to insure an exotic car that you just bought with your entire life savings.

3) I know marriage can feel magical at first, but at the end of the day, it's still just a ring. That may not be a popular thing to say, but I've only been married 4 years, and I can tell you the wedding euphoria is far from eternal. So much of marriage is debating whose turn it is to do the laundry and boring stuff like that. I promise you that whether or not the ring gets lost is near the very bottom of long-term marriage priorities.

4) It's easy to get sold on insuring small stuff when you're young and have less income and savings. Don't make the mistake of assuming that you'll be in the same financial position forever. Buying a house is typically the exception rather than the norm, because people tend to borrow several times their annual income to afford them, so there's a certain long-term confidence in insuring a home. But for all you know, you and your bride might double your collective income before you know it. Or heck, it could go the other way, and you could have children sooner than you anticipated who could use that ring insurance money to pay for their needs. A lot can change relatively quickly early on in marriage, so your personal valuation of the coverage may only be appropriate for a brief snapshot in time.

5) People "renew" these kinds of things all the time. It may sound cheesy, but again, if you end up being far more successful than you anticipated, you might find that you can afford a much nicer 10th anniversary ring, a second honeymoon, etc. My wife and I actually didn't have a proper wedding ceremony with family and everything. We got married on a whim while I was visiting her overseas, and that was it. She still bugs me about it to this day, saying I owe her a wedding. The beautiful irony of it all is that at the time, a wedding would have set us back in a major way, but now, we both make more than enough that we could splurge on an extravagant ceremony and pay for all our relatives to fly to some exotic location, and it would be a fraction of our annual income. I used to make fun of the idea of "renewing" vows and stuff like that, but now that I have witnessed the compounding potential of delaying gratification, I realize a financially sound marriage is actually a great reason to celebrate time and time again through the years.

6) As others have already mentioned, there's something sentimental about THE ring, and getting a replacement through insurance is not really the same thing. At that point, you may as well invest what would have been the premiums, and by the time it might get lost, you will likely be able to afford a substantially nicer replacement anyway, one that gets picked out as a couple.

At the end of the day, all of these points really just boil down to the same thing, which is that if you insure everything, the only ones saving money are the insurance companies, because you're doing the selling for them. Insurance is not something you should do willy nilly just because somebody told you it was a good idea. Do it with intention. Buy insurance when you know what it is you're buying and what it's worth to you. Don't buy it because you've been tricked into believing that it will magically prevent anything bad from ever happening to you. It doesn't do that by magic, it does it with your money, and it will bleed you dry like a casino bleeds a gambling addict dry. But if you use it sparingly to protect certain things that you are unprepared to replace with your own savings, then sure, it can be used to great effect.
Lots of good points here. Thank you.

Topic Author
RJC
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Re: Wedding/Engagement Ring Insurance

Post by RJC » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:53 pm

protagonist wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:40 pm
RJC wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:02 pm
Dear Friends,

What is the consensus here about wedding/engagement ring insurance? Is it worth having? Is there a point where you can stop paying it?

Our insurance is about $300 a year and covers a ring that was purchased for around $15,000 (8 years ago).

Thanks in advance.
Though the answer may be quite depressing, you might want to go to a jeweler and ask about the resale value of that ring that retailed and was appraised for $15K. Precious stones are terrible investments.
I'm sure it will be depressing. I purchased the ring for 15k and got it appraised a few years later for 27k. I'm certain the resale value would be a fraction of that...

Post Reply