Waze gives wrong directions;now gmaps too; any others I can use?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
heartwood

Waze gives wrong directions;now gmaps too; any others I can use?

Post by heartwood » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:59 pm

Years ago I used google maps for directions on my cell. Then I tried and switched to Waze (also owned by Google). I was quite happy until a couple of weeks ago when Waze put me on an interstate highway and announced as I was passing the hotel outside the highway fence, that I had reached my destination. I would have had to climb the fence with my luggage. I used the next exit off the highway and again engaged Waze. It took me via city streets close to my hotel then told me to turn left when the hotel was clearly on my right. I discussed both errors with hotel staff who basically shrugged and said it's a known problem for them for over a year. I did read (but can't vouch for the information) that many locations are sourced by users. So was this espionage by a competitor or a disgruntled guest? I'm amazed that a major brand hotel has a known error that affects how guests get to them and haven't harassed Waze to fix it.

Not worth my time, so I switched back to google maps. They performed well for the remainder of that trip. They also ask for feedback after each use: did we get you to the right place, how satisfied are you, would you recommend us, etc.

All was well until today in a different state when I used g-maps for directions to Target at a major shopping center. It got me there, sort of, but announced while I was in a westbound lane of a 6 lane street that I had arrived. Too bad Target was on my left across another 3 lanes of eastbound traffic, on a boulevard that has no left turns for many, many streets. I reverted to Waze that got me turned around, but wanted me to pass an entrance to drive around the block to another entrance.

Are there other android map apps that you use that you can recommend?

livesoft

Re: Waze gives wrong directions;now gmaps too; any others I can use?

Post by livesoft » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:05 pm

No, cannot recommend anything but Google maps.

Sometimes things change and the maps are not updated. This is where you engage your brain.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:06 pm

I think the apps can help, but we should use more common sense. Things can change, streets can be closed temporarily, etc. Not saying the apps shouldn't get better, but if the app can get you to the general area, you should be able to get to your destination, right?

strafe

Post by strafe » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:11 pm

Never had this problem. With it happening twice in different apps, maybe the GPS accuracy on your phone is off.

gnujoe2001

Post by gnujoe2001 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:24 pm

I've used Waze, Google Maps, standalone Garmin, and Here Maps. The first 3 I listed I know they all occasionally will miss the target destination, either just off by 0.x miles, or other side of road, or as in your case, claimed destination was on the side of a freeway. GPS apps/units are usually quite good for Far-to-Near target, and still have room to improve for near-to-destination. I can't say how good Here Maps is, I only use it when I don't have cell service and don't have the Garmin.

Best you can do if you know you're heading somewhere important is to check maps/satellite/street views of destination before heading out.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:35 pm

I and another passenger loaded up an address the other day. She had Waze and I had Google Maps. We went the Waze way and by then had gone several miles out of our way on our way to the address which Google Maps correctly identified.

In my hands Google Maps works better than my car's gps and any other thing I have tried. But it isn't perfect. I am a member of AAA and they will send me maps. They are good too but aren't perfect.
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:50 pm

I have had trouble with all navigation programs giving bad directions going back at least 15 years, when you either had to buy a stand-alone unit, or print the directions you looked up online (while navigating static maps - Google Maps javascript wizardry was a pretty amazing browser implementation at the time).

I recall a particularly bad experience when I tried to find a major chain brand coffee stand during a road-trip, a Garmin led me to rundown area on the edge of a city known for having a high crime rate. My skepticism turned to morbid curiosity when the directions steered me onto an unpaved road, before announcing we had arrived at our destination: an old cinderblock building with barred windows, surrounded by dead cars and a fence topped by concertina wire.

Based on my experiences. I don't have a favored mapping application.

With nuclear arms control treaties and maps, my strategy is trust but verify.

I trust that usually it will get me where I want to go, but I review the route before getting on the road to look for oddities like what you saw: a destination on a frontage, but directions that don't leave the interstate.

I've also found taking a couple minutes to do this helps me be better prepared for situations such as when multiple turns occur in a short span - a case where these programs often fail to announce/display an upcoming turn in time to execute it.

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:12 pm

All mapping systems have this "last-mile" problem; they can direct you to an address at its official lot location, but this may not be the location of the driveway you need to enter the building. Many businesses will tell you what address to put in the GPS.

When I lived in NJ, I was in an apartment complex in which each apartment had its own address, so #101 through #1312 were all at the same place. I lived in #102, which Google Maps put on the other side of the street, and a block away. After some experimentation, I found that #201 was at the right place, so I told anyone visiting me to ask the GPS for directions to #201 rather than #102.
Wiki David Grabiner

multiham

Post by multiham » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:19 pm

I know this won't help you now, but I've had good luck contacting waze through the app and telling them there was a problem with their directions. Each time I have done this, they have investigated and got back to me with an answer which is usually that they have fixed the problem. Most times it does not benefit me as I was only going to that location once, but I'm hoping it has benefitted others who are trying to get there.

BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:23 pm

This is probably the engineer in me with over analyzing and planning every detail - including road trips or closer 'new' destinations, but I pre-plan my route using google. I also switch to map mode before leaving to get a visual check on my destination for entrances, parking lots, or anything unusual I should look for when I arrive.

I know my wife and kids like to simply plug in destinations to the smart phones and get voice directions - but that has proven to not work all the time.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:28 pm

I am wondering if there is a bug in the system. The weekend before Labor Day, I was directed to a location slightly off target. As this was a major youth sports complex, I suspect they would be aware if this was a regular occurrence. Later that day, it happened again when heading to a second location. It has been over 5 years since least since I have had such an issue in a suburban/urban area.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:49 pm

I was once directed through an industrial area and instructed to continue off-road--across the Mississippi River.

All I have used have errors occasionally. I've learned to deal with it and not to expect them to be flawless. And I also keep a road atlas in the car when traveling to unfamiliar areas--a lesson learned the hard way.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:57 pm

Are you choosing the destination just using an address or picking a spot on the map? I never have this problem in Google maps as I almost always choose the exact spot I want to arrive at.

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:58 pm

multiham wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:19 pm
I know this won't help you now, but I've had good luck contacting waze through the app and telling them there was a problem with their directions. Each time I have done this, they have investigated and got back to me with an answer which is usually that they have fixed the problem.
While I haven't gotten a response, I have contacted Google about some errors in Google Maps. In particular, a turnpike service area in Cherry Hill, NJ was placed on Cherry Hill Road, and the nearest Cherry Hill Road in NJ is in Princeton, forty miles away from the city of Cherry Hill and fifteen miles from the turnpike.
Wiki David Grabiner

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:16 pm

heartwood wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:59 pm
Years ago I used google maps for directions on my cell. Then I tried and switched to Waze (also owned by Google). I was quite happy until a couple of weeks ago when Waze put me on an interstate highway and announced as I was passing the hotel outside the highway fence, that I had reached my destination. I would have had to climb the fence with my luggage. I used the next exit off the highway and again engaged Waze. It took me via city streets close to my hotel then told me to turn left when the hotel was clearly on my right. I discussed both errors with hotel staff who basically shrugged and said it's a known problem for them for over a year. I did read (but can't vouch for the information) that many locations are sourced by users. So was this espionage by a competitor or a disgruntled guest? I'm amazed that a major brand hotel has a known error that affects how guests get to them and haven't harassed Waze to fix it.

Not worth my time, so I switched back to google maps. They performed well for the remainder of that trip. They also ask for feedback after each use: did we get you to the right place, how satisfied are you, would you recommend us, etc.

All was well until today in a different state when I used g-maps for directions to Target at a major shopping center. It got me there, sort of, but announced while I was in a westbound lane of a 6 lane street that I had arrived. Too bad Target was on my left across another 3 lanes of eastbound traffic, on a boulevard that has no left turns for many, many streets. I reverted to Waze that got me turned around, but wanted me to pass an entrance to drive around the block to another entrance.

Are there other android map apps that you use that you can recommend?
It's possible your phone isn't accurately giving Google servers your exact location.

What phone do you have?

celia

Post by celia » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:52 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:16 pm
It's possible your phone isn't accurately giving Google servers your exact location.
Good suggestion! Check your phone settings to see if you can increase your GPS resolution. On my iPhone, Maps also has a setting to choose my mode of transportation. The directions could be different if you were driving or walking or using public transportation.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:58 pm

I use a Garmin along with google maps.
That combo always gets me where I am going.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:17 pm

My wife and I typically travel together (retired) and use our car's nav system because we pay for data as we use it (Fi). Anytime something seems suspicious to us we use Google maps to double-check the directions (possible since there are two of us). Neither are perfect but used together we always get where we're going. Generally we find that Google Maps is more accurate but both systems have made mistakes.
Have a plan, stay the course, and simplify, and while you're at it, Ignore the Noise!

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:45 am

I used both google maps and waze grom eastern Europe to Panama and Costa Rica. Reasonably precise.

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:14 am

I think you need to consider the "weather out the window" approach.... don't blindly use any app. (I'm reminded of early errors of mapping apps and problems in "Death Valley", for example)

as an example, DW uses them all the time... when traveling one time, the app gave directions to a site that drove down a dirt road (or close to it)... not a huge problem generally if it really gets you there... but as we were hauling a long trailer, I basically said NO WAY and pulled out the map ( you know, the paper kind!) and saw that the route was totally wrong and that it was totally impassable with the trailer, in addition.
We had similar issues with a trip in Europe (Austria, in this case) where the described road in fact was unfinished and Verrry slow... although we eventually made it (although the town itself was incorrectly positioned on the wrong side of the lake in the app.
I've also investigated apps in more remote areas... it shows "roads" that DON'T EVEN EXIST!
...so last mile isn't the only problem with apps.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:28 am

What OP described for both Waze and Google maps is a GPS locator error. Apps can't navigate you if they have the wrong location for you. An example is going through a tunnel. Few navigation apps will be able to route you out of the tunnel unless it "guesses" correctly exactly when you will emergency and picks up your GPS signal again.

I'd suggest OP try a different device to run either app and see which is better.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:58 am

My worst experience was when Google maps put us on a snowmobile trail, and I was driving our motorhome. The weird thing is I was so trusting I bumped along for about a mile before it dawned on me why all the signs seemed to be intended for snowmobiles.

When we are at home, I almost always go into street view on Google maps to visually verify the destination. That isn't really an option on the road.

I've had mixed results reporting map errors to Google. Sometimes they get back to me to say they fixed it, but other times I've had zero response.

And they say self-driving cars are going to be here soon!

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:27 am

I have been using Waze for several years and don't recall any problems. Plus, the roadkill alerts are very accurate.

URSnshn

Post by URSnshn » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:34 pm

What I am not pleased with - is re-routing. I had a planned a specific route I wanted to use and GM kept re-routing me. At first, I thought I'd made an error, but no the issue kept repeating itself. Apparently this is an issue. I find it handy to have a general sense of direction and a map on hand.

My understanding is this happens with Waze too.

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:41 pm

URSnshn wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:34 pm
What I am not pleased with - is re-routing. I had a planned a specific route I wanted to use and GM kept re-routing me. At first, I thought I'd made an error, but no the issue kept repeating itself. Apparently this is an issue. I find it handy to have a general sense of direction and a map on hand.

When you deviate from a route, many GPSes will try to get you back to that route, assuming it was the one you intended and you missed a turn. Sometimes, this is right; at other times, you want to recalculate from scratch, such as if you chose to avoid a road which you expect will be jammed by the time you get there, or a tollbooth because your EZ-Pass is not working. (When the GPS which tries to get you back to the original route finally gives up, it is likely that the new route will be significantly faster.)
Wiki David Grabiner

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:48 am

When I go somewhere that I am really not sure of I check a map in advance and make sure I am aware of how things are laid out. I also check the recommended route and the alternatives to see what is going on.

I remember years ago MapQuest would give directions for traveling from Chicago to London to arrive at a beach on the East Coast and swim to Ireland. I think it was an intentional joke.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:13 pm

michaelingp wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:58 am
My worst experience was when Google maps put us on a snowmobile trail, and I was driving our motorhome. The weird thing is I was so trusting I bumped along for about a mile before it dawned on me why all the signs seemed to be intended for snowmobiles.

When we are at home, I almost always go into street view on Google maps to visually verify the destination. That isn't really an option on the road.

I've had mixed results reporting map errors to Google. Sometimes they get back to me to say they fixed it, but other times I've had zero response.

You were lucky. A few years ago a couple died in Oregon (or Washington) in the winter when the gps sent them down a road which is closed in winter. They kept going until they were stuck, and no longer could turn around.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:29 pm

RudyS wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:13 pm
michaelingp wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:58 am

You were lucky. A few years ago a couple died in Oregon (or Washington) in the winter when the gps sent them down a road which is closed in winter. They kept going until they were stuck, and no longer could turn around.
Many more than one have been caught by Goo-maps or a GPS map unit that have directed onto roads closed for the winter. Today, I think Goo-maps now indicate closed roads, but that's assuming you got an up-to-date map data before you got out of cell range. But don't blame Goo-maps too hard, his happened back in the paper map days too.

We just got back from Montana where we heard from a person that they almost got stuck on a forest service road this last winter due to lower than expected snow and no turn-around for a mile. If they had got stuck, it was near 5 miles back to the highway.

fposte

Post by fposte » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:48 pm

grabiner wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:41 pm
URSnshn wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:34 pm

When you deviate from a route, many GPSes will try to get you back to that route, assuming it was the one you intended and you missed a turn. Sometimes, this is right; at other times, you want to recalculate from scratch, such as if you chose to avoid a road which you expect will be jammed by the time you get there, or a tollbooth because your EZ-Pass is not working. (When the GPS which tries to get you back to the original route finally gives up, it is likely that the new route will be significantly faster.)
I think URSnshn might be talking about the opposite--that you will be on the route that was identified by Google Maps at the start and GM will "change its mind" by trying to optimize a new route based on traffic information. There are definitely other complaints about that (like this one or this one), and it's frustrating that you can't turn it off or, better yet, set levels on it. I don't mind it in places I'm familiar with, so that I can decide for myself (though it needs to give a lot more advance warning rather than suggesting I can get across 5 lanes of backed-up traffic in 50 yards), but I really don't want to wander through surface streets in an area I don't know to save 3 minutes.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:02 pm

Google maps is the best by an extremely wide margin. Nothing is 100% correct.

BelfastFlyer

Post by BelfastFlyer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:52 am

You can go on google maps and assign a location to an address. I had to do this as uber (which uses google maps) had my place of work in an entirely different complex.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:32 am

Having worked for one of the big mapping companies, I can tell you that there is not a lot of mapping datasets out there. Most of the auto manufactures and apps use the same datasets. It is expensive, as you can imagine, to map every inch of every road of every country. My only advice would be to report an error like that when it happens.

ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:51 am

I've reported mapping errors and have noticed it fixed within a day.

The first step when you notice an error is to report it in the software so it can be fixed.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:54 am

OP, my sense is that a perfect mapping application can it be developed currently. Perhaps mapping will improve in areas where autonomous driving is developed whenever that occurs.

In the meantime, you need to expect minor failures like the ones you describe — and should use your common sense to avoid being led into more consequential errors.

Andy.