Winter (snow) tires for Volvo XC-70

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
friar1610

Winter (snow) tires for Volvo XC-70

Post by friar1610 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:50 pm

Anybody have any recommendations for a reasonably priced, effective winter tire for a Volvo XC-70 (AWD) wagon? I had one (10 years older, different engine) when I lived in VT and used Nokian Hakkapelittas (forgot which model). I'm in MA now and although we can get lotsa snow and ice, this ain't Vermont (or Finland, for that matter) so I may not need to pay the Nokian price. Anyone's experience/insight would be appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by friar1610 on Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friar1610

IowaFarmBoy

Re: Winter (snow) tires for Volvo XC-70

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:01 pm

I've had good luck with General Altimax Arctics. A pretty good value. I think General is owned by Continental.

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:14 pm

Years ago (we are talking three decades) I ran GISLAVED snow tires on my car. The days (thankfully) I live in an area where snow is uncommon. I think our last big snow was in 2008 --- https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/loc ... s-1553317/.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:27 pm

I always check the ratings on TireRack.com when buying tires. It's a ton of reviews so feel pretty good about it. I did buy locally last time I put tires on one of my cars though, so I would check local prices too.

bhrjwx

Post by bhrjwx » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:15 pm

I have a similar type of vehicle and spent quite a bit of time researching this. I ended up going with the Continental VikingContact 7, based on its performance in a number of European winter tire tests (http://autohullut.fi/etusivu/talvirengastestit-2018/, use Google translate). I was also looking at the Cooper Discoverer True North (Consumer Reports' top pick), as well as a number of other tires.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:16 pm

Consider Toyo Celsius tires.

Then you don't have to swap them out.

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/ ... conditions
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:55 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:16 pm
Consider Toyo Celsius tires.

Then you don't have to swap them out.

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/ ... conditions
+1 or Nokian wrG4. We have the nokians on my car now and they were very reasonable in cost.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:05 pm

I've used virtually everything and would certainly look on Tire Rack. Closeouts, if there's any in your size, can save you a ton of money. Tires, just like clothing or car fashion changes and when a tire company changes even the logo on a tire, the old ones get clearanced.

General Arctic Altimax has been mentioned and I've used them on a Suburban, have them on one of my Crosstreks and run them my Wrangler. No complaints. But look at reviews and type of snow. I have had a couple different performance winter tires on cars like an Audi S4 and they handle really well at the expense of ultimate snow grip where tires like Firestone Winterforce have much more aggressive tread and snow bite but wallow around like an old Buick.

You can also call Tire Rack and ask for advice. I've been talking with Luke there for at least 10 years. He's a liaison to a car forum I'm a member of and a real enthusiast and will be knowledgeable about what would work for you.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

William4u

Post by William4u » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:20 pm

Michelin X-Ice winter tires are recommended by consumer reports, and they LAST a lot longer than the others. They have a 40,000 mile warranty, and cr says they last longer than that. The others will be worn sooner.

VGisforme

Post by VGisforme » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:25 pm

I've had great success with the Michelin X-Ice Xi3, they also sell and older X-Ice Latitude Xi2 model in some other sizes but the Xi3 has the newest design. I use a smaller diameter, larger sidewall winter tire 18s vs. 20s in fair weather.

I've ran the Michelins from October thru April the past 5 years in greater Chicagoland and I'm just about at the snow wear bars and will run them another final season this year. I drive about 12-15k miles a year and so they've worn great. I think they actually have a mileage rating of 35,000 and you won't find nearly any dedicated winter tires that have any rating.

They work great in snow and icy conditions as well as the deep freeze but dry too.

They aren't the cheapest but some of the other models you'd be lucky to get 3 seasons out of them if you drive a lot.

LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:19 am

We purchased some Blizzak WS80s last winter. I cannot vouch for other brands, so I'm sure there are others that are good / strong performers out there for less cost.

Objectively, although the price was higher, I can say they made a surprising difference in handling, stopping, starting, etc. on the 2018 sedan we own for the Minnesota winters. Very pleased.

We also happened to purchase the cheapest, somewhat matching, rims as well.

I do find the three peak tires to be an interesting alternative for the future in lieu of dedicated sets, but again, super pleased with the performance of the Blizzak.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:15 am

Heavy car. I believe Continental and Michelin are what the insider techs on SwedeSpeed recommend.

tripalways1978

Post by tripalways1978 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:22 am

we got an all season tire with Winter rating and absolutely loved it . please check Vredestein Quatrac 5 on tire Rack

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:26 am

You weren't super specific about your car, so I guessed it was a 2010 3.2 AWD with 17" wheels. Tire rack shows me the Michelin X-Ice XI3 as top-rated in that size, at $147 each. The 2nd-rated Blizzak WS80s (what I use on my BMW) are on closeout for $126 each, because the WS90s just came out. I would also take a strong look at the Continental Vikingcontact 7 ($139 each), as I've had extremely good luck with Continental's higher-end tires in the past.

What I'd really recommend though, is getting a dedicated set of wheels with them. So much easier to just swap the whole wheel rather than having a tire shop break/remount/rebalance your tires twice a year. Tire Rack can help you put together a package of whatever you want, the default recommendation was for XI3s and a set of not-bad looking 16" wheels for $993. But as I said, there's tons of options so you can get whatever you like. They'll be drop-shipped to your house (or an installer of your choice), already mounted and balanced, ready to go on the car. I bought a set of 19" wheels shod in Blizzak DM-V2s for my wife's Q7 this way last year and we're super happy with them.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:19 am

Friar1610
Go south for the winter and your concerns will be alleviated! :wink:
Tom D.

Topic Author
friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:52 pm

Thanks for all the recommendations.

The car is actually a 2015 T6 (3.0 turbo) AWD with 18" wheels.

I've always used Tire Rack for research but never actually bought from them - sounds like everyone's experience has been pretty good. I do have a local foreign car shop that would be happy to put them on.

Tomd37 - can I still watch the Sox and Pats on TV if I move to Tennessee?
Friar1610

6miths

Post by 6miths » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:06 pm

In the past, I have used Michelin X-Ice but now that I am retired I am putting Michelin CroosClimate+ on everything I can. All-season, incredible ratings from Consumer Reports. Downside is only available in certain sizes.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:27 am

I've had Nokian Haka's, Michelin x-ice, Nordman (Nokian). We have had the best luck with Toyo's for our PNW snow conditions. I bought used OEM wheels & sensors to keep summer & winter on wheels.

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/ ... serve-gsi5

3Fund4Life

Post by 3Fund4Life » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:12 am

Blizzaks tough to beat for snowpack
Nobody knows nothing

William4u

Post by William4u » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:57 am

6miths wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:06 pm
In the past, I have used Michelin X-Ice but now that I am retired I am putting Michelin CroosClimate+ on everything I can. All-season, incredible ratings from Consumer Reports. Downside is only available in certain sizes.
I have a hard time believing that the Michelin CroosClimate+ are as good as a Michelin Xice3 in the middle of winter and the Michelin Defender in the middle of summer. Many compromises must be made. I see no data comparing along these lines.

Frugalbear

Post by Frugalbear » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:42 am

I currently use Firestone Winterforce 2 and I live in PA...no issues. I recommend without reservation.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:45 pm

William4u wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:57 am
I have a hard time believing that the Michelin CroosClimate+ are as good as a Michelin Xice3 in the middle of winter and the Michelin Defender in the middle of summer. Many compromises must be made. I see no data comparing along these lines.
Maybe 95% as good rather than just as good. These are All-Weather (not all-season) tires rated for severe winter weather. Essentially snow tires that are a little more durable in warm conditions. This is a market that has been traditionally dominated by Nokian, but some of the other manufacturers (including Michelin) are now getting in on the act. They are perfect for people who do experience all 4 seasons, but not necessarily massive snowfall like you'd see in Toronto, Chicago, or upstate NY, and likewise don't have a ton of 100+ days in the summer.

I'm in Chicago, so I'll stick with dedicated summer/winter tires. But if I lived in say, the DC area, I would absolutely consider AW tires.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:36 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:45 pm
William4u wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:57 am
Maybe 95% as good rather than just as good. These are All-Weather (not all-season) tires rated for severe winter weather. Essentially snow tires that are a little more durable in warm conditions. This is a market that has been traditionally dominated by Nokian, but some of the other manufacturers (including Michelin) are now getting in on the act. They are perfect for people who do experience all 4 seasons, but not necessarily massive snowfall like you'd see in Toronto, Chicago, or upstate NY, and likewise don't have a ton of 100+ days in the summer.

I'm in Chicago, so I'll stick with dedicated summer/winter tires. But if I lived in say, the DC area, I would absolutely consider AW tires.
Yes my thoughts exactly. I don't have to go out in blizzards anymore (and they hardly ever happen anyway - and snow clearing is outstanding in these parts) so 95% on both is good for me and the composite rubber compound has quite a long wear warranty. As well, in our climate it is also a challenge to know when to put snows on and take off. Much driving with them is done on dry roads and in relatively warm temperatures. Coupled with Costco's road hazard warranty and I am good to go!
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:33 pm

friar1610 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:52 pm
Thanks for all the recommendations.

The car is actually a 2015 T6 (3.0 turbo) AWD with 18" wheels.

I've always used Tire Rack for research but never actually bought from them - sounds like everyone's experience has been pretty good. I do have a local foreign car shop that would be happy to put them on.

Tomd37 - can I still watch the Sox and Pats on TV if I move to Tennessee?
Good for you! The 3.0 si6 T6 is one of the best and most reliable engines Volvo has produced.

Topic Author
friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:49 pm

Thanks again to all. I went with the Michelin X-ice 3's. A repair shop/tire store where I have my other (non-Volvo) car serviced (and which has always treated me well) had a good price on them and Michelin has a $100 rebate in effect. I'll wait until November to have them mounted but needed to purchase by 9/19 to get the rebate. One more item crossed off the "to-do" list. Now time to get hot on the hissing toilet upstairs.
Friar1610

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:03 pm

Guess that takes care of the move to Tennessee matter. Don't know anything about the Sox, but the Pats are not in favor here in the Nashville area. :wink: You would have to shift to a different shade of blue jersey. :beer
Tom D.

Topic Author
friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:06 pm

tomd37 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:03 pm
Guess that takes care of the move to Tennessee matter. Don't know anything about the Sox, but the Pats are not in favor here in the Nashville area. :wink: You would have to shift to a different shade of blue jersey. :beer
My understanding is that the Pats are not in favor very many places outside of New England. And after the Antonio Brown acquisition, there are more than a few New Englanders defecting.
Friar1610