Bamboo Flooring

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Broadway2018

Bamboo Flooring

Post by Broadway2018 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:05 pm

I am looking to replace the carpet (about 900 sq ft) with bamboo flooring. Originally, I was looking at hardwood, but love the color of this.

http://www.usfloorsllc.com/flooring-products/graphite/

Does anyone have any experience with the above product? Also, I am in a HCOL area and received a quote of $12k for the whole project - removing carpet, changing out baseboards, installing new sub-floor, removing and reinstalling toilets, etc.. The quote seems high, however, is through Costco which I like because of the warranty.

stan1

Re: Bamboo Flooring

Post by stan1 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:19 pm

That's not high for demo, hauling, materials, and labor given the square footage. If you've had any other work done in the last 5 years in a HCOL area I think you'd actually find it to be reasonable. You can get another quote for reassurance though.

Might you want porcelain tile in the bathrooms instead of a wood product? It's a much more practical choice for multiple reasons.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:44 pm

There are lots of local resellers that can get you USFloors products. I would get quotes from a couple. This floor is interlocking and is a piece of cake to install. There is no way to tell whether any sub-floor work is necessary until the carpet is pulled so you may be getting a worst case quote. These products are easy to install and after the actual time to cut and install the floor after prep work is done will be extremely fast. Toilet pull and replace is not rocket science. It can take a bit more work to get the baseboards right.

Just get more quotes. Independents will have a access to a wider variety of USFloors products than Costco will I expect.

Cheers

ivyhedge

Post by ivyhedge » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:58 pm

We have that (in the 2.5" variant).

If I could Thanos snap it away, I would do so in a heartbeat. It scratches, pits, compresses, and scrapes by staring at it. For a comparison, neither of us weighs more than 125lbs and we haven't moved anything unfairly heavy across it (no shoes, either).

Be aware that builders (in the Boston area) often glue this to the plywood substrate. If that happens to your project, it will make future changes difficult. Due to a flood, one of my fellow trustees at our complex needs to replace an area similar to yours and the cost is ~$14,000. Curiously, she selected the same material despite noting that it "needed changing anyway". She is single, without pets and light furniture. Ouch.

A positive? You bet: fade resistance. We have a wall of 20' tall by 10' wide glass that bathes it to ~70% insolation during the summer: precious little color variation after 10 years.
Polymath.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:11 pm

We have a friend that used to be in the flooring business. He told us that bamboo does well in more humid climates but will warp in an arid climate.

Topic Author
Broadway2018

Post by Broadway2018 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:47 am

ivyhedge wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:58 pm

If I could Thanos snap it away, I would do so in a heartbeat. It scratches, pits, compresses, and scrapes by staring at it. For a comparison, neither of us weighs more than 125lbs and we haven't moved anything unfairly heavy across it (no shoes, either).

Be aware that builders (in the Boston area) often glue this to the plywood substrate. If that happens to your project, it will make future changes difficult. Due to a flood, one of my fellow trustees at our complex needs to replace an area similar to yours and the cost is ~$14,000. Curiously, she selected the same material despite noting that it "needed changing anyway". She is single, without pets and light furniture. Ouch.

A positive? You bet: fade resistance. We have a wall of 20' tall by 10' wide glass that bathes it to ~70% insolation during the summer: precious little color variation after 10 years.
So you have the muse strand bamboo and it is not holding up well? Would you recommend going with hardwood instead? This is the other product I am considering.

https://shawfloors.com/flooring/hardwoo ... /greystone

OAG

Post by OAG » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:18 pm

I did 750 SF two years ago HCOL. Purchased same manufacturer (US Floors) at Lowes (Special order but it was quick). Also used a Lowes recommended installer. I did my own removal of the carpeting (easy process using a utility knife and small crowbar to remove tacking strips. Total cost was just below $5,000 (material, installation). I purchased and double coated (primer and two coats of paint) the quarter round and the installer put it in.

Some points it was a nailed down product and the nailing down fixture for the pneumatic tool was unique to this product. Not a problem but it was not common fixture and the installer had to go find it to begin installing. Check each piece of the flooring before nailing down as I found several pieces that I returned to Lowes for credit. Used roofing tar paper to underlay the Bamboo.

Strand Bamboo is very versatile and does not (in my experience) have a humidity problem.

I looked into other vendors but was not impressed by their timing and cost.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:47 pm

I have 850 sqft of the stuff on order though from a different manufacturer. For the material and the pneumatic nailer that shoots the special cleat nails (instead of typical staples for other species of flooring), I spent a shade under $5k and am doing the install myself. If I were expecting someone to install it, I would figure at least double that price to include labor. I live in a LCOL area so to me adding another 20% for a HCOL area to get to $12k doesn't see that out of line.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:59 pm

I've never had a bamboo floor, but I have a friend who will not use it again because it is too soft for their lifestyle - lots of scratches and indentations from dog toenails (german shepherd size) and moving furniture.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:07 pm

Broadway2018 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:47 am
ivyhedge wrote:

So you have the muse strand bamboo and it is not holding up well? Would you recommend going with hardwood instead? This is the other product I am considering.

https://shawfloors.com/flooring/hardwoo ... /greystone
I think hardwood will look good general. Although darker colors will show dust very clearly, especially in direct sunlight.

I have 3/4 inch wirebrushed oak in the shade in between greystone and canopy. It's looks excellent.

I didn't buy it from Shaw, and I'm not going to link to the store because the flooring was grossly defective (improperly milled with lots of cracked planks that the idiot installer installed anyway). Despite that, it still looks fantastic.

I'm not a fan of the microbeveling though this will get fixed next time we refinish the floors.

ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:00 pm

You might want to look at Cali Bamboo. They have a hardened bamboo flooring that has withstood our 65 pound labradoodle’s nails without a scratch - the maple flooring we had before the bamboo did not. We are very pleased with it. My father opted for it when replacing carpet in his townhome.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:37 am

retiredjg wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:59 pm
I've never had a bamboo floor, but I have a friend who will not use it again because it is too soft for their lifestyle - lots of scratches and indentations from dog toenails (german shepherd size) and moving furniture.
Our bamboo flooring has a Janka hardness of 5500 which is harder than just about any other flooring out there. Also hardness has nothing to do with protection from scratches in the finish.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:58 am

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:37 am
retiredjg wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:59 pm
Our bamboo flooring has a Janka hardness of 5500 which is harder than just about any other flooring out there. Also hardness has nothing to do with protection from scratches in the finish.
Their indentations were in the floor itself, not in the finish. But I think what I'm learning here is that bamboo comes in different hardnesses. Perhaps they just didn't select the better product for their doggy lifestyle.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:05 am

We've had a very similar type of bamboo flooring from Lumber Liquidators in our kitchen and living room for the last almost five years. We've been extremely pleased with it. Even our four year old hasn't been able to really damage it. The one we got already had scrapings and texture to it, which helps to hide any small dents. And if a superficial scratch does show up, a little Old English scratch concealer does a great job at permanently hiding it.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:20 pm

I have bamboo floor in master but not that product. Live in a dry climate and it has not been stable. Would not do it again although I really like the look.

No way I would put wood or bamboo in with wet fixtures.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

edge

Post by edge » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:36 pm

I had teragren bamboo floors in the basement of a house I owned. 7.5 inch planks iirc. Looked great, performed great.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:56 pm

Years ago family member put bamboo in because of large dogs and it is harder than most woods. It seemed to hold up well. Even put it in bathroom with an extended open shower. It did warp a tad and show a little damage right by the shower but not that bad considering.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:45 am

A flooring installer I trust referred me to a flooring company they trust. They suggested I avoid bamboo. This was for a rental property.
4nursebee

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:24 pm

I have bamboo in my kitchen, it does dent easily. For example my son dropped a set of plates from the height of the opened dishwasher bottom rack into the floor edge wise. They left three long dents in the floor. Another issue we have had with the floating engineered flooring is the boards separating at the ends from each other. If I had to do it over again I would nail the floating floor in place.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:14 pm

SimonJester wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:24 pm
I have bamboo in my kitchen, it does dent easily. For example my son dropped a set of plates from the height of the opened dishwasher bottom rack into the floor edge wise. They left three long dents in the floor. Another issue we have had with the floating engineered flooring is the boards separating at the ends from each other. If I had to do it over again I would nail the floating floor in place.
Engineered flooring hardness is more dependent on number of plies and thickness of plies for hardness rating than species of wood used in the top veneer layer.

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:19 pm

ivyhedge wrote:

If I could Thanos snap it away
That is hilarious. I’m going to totally steal that phrase.