Water alarm just saved me a lot of $$$. Do you have them?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fortfun

Water alarm just saved me a lot of $$$. Do you have them?

Post by fortfun » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:03 pm

Two years ago, I installed water alarms next to all of our washers, hot water heaters, etc. Today, the saddle (that holds the pump on the wash machine) broke and water flooded the laundry room. Luckily, we were home but downstairs and immediately ran into the laundry room and were able to shut off the water. If it weren't for the alarm, I'm guessing it would have been some time before we noticed the problem as the laundry room is in a far corner of the house. As it was, I filled the little shop vac twice.

Do you use them?

I believe they are worth the small investment.
https://www.amazon.com/Topvico-Flood-Se ... 4QHRTW3H62

bertilak

Re: Water alarm just saved me a lot of $$$. Do you have them?

Post by bertilak » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:06 pm

fortfun wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:03 pm
Two years ago, I installed water alarms next to all of our washers, hot water heaters, etc. Today, the saddle (that holds the pump on the wash machine) broke and water flooded the laundry room. Luckily, we were home but downstairs and immediately ran into the laundry room and were able to shut off the water. If it weren't for the alarm, I'm guessing it would have been some time before we noticed the problem as the laundry room is in a far corner of the house. As it was, I filled the little shop vac twice.

Do you use them?

We use those under sinks but the laundry room has a floor drain so water leaks will not be a problem -- unless the drain clogs!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:16 pm

These are good if you are home to hear them. We turn the water to washer and toilets off when leaving for an extended period. In the basement of our summer house, next to the two sump pumps and one ejector pit/pump, we installed water bugs that are connected to our centrally-monitored alarm system. One winter night when there was a lot of rain, one of them went off. Of course, at around 2:00am. Our caretaker went to check it out (he is a gem) and it was just a bit of dampness.

In a previous house, we installed an alarm system with a water bug next to the sump pump. Then we installed an irrigation system that required a booster pump. The irrigation company connected the pump to the same circuit as the sump pump. :oops: There was a fault in it, and it tripped the breaker, shutting off the sump pump. Of course, we then discovered the alarm company had used the same circuit :oops: when the backup battery ran out and it began to rain heavily. We had left town on a trip, and our neighbors were checking the house. They looked in the basement and found the carpet floating in several inches of water.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:22 pm

MarkerFM wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:16 pm
We turn the water to washer and toilets off when leaving for an extended period.
That's a good tip!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

Calli114

Post by Calli114 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:25 pm

This seems like a good idea - my neighbor just had a basement flood from the main water entry pipe that went undetected til it was a big mess.
Do you have one under all the sinks, or only by appliances?
I have not checked with my security company about any wired detectors they might offer.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:31 pm

bertilak wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:22 pm
MarkerFM wrote:
We turn the water to washer and toilets off when leaving for an extended period.
That's a good tip!
We have typically done this when leaving for extended periods of time. Only takes a few minutes.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:31 pm

fortfun wrote:

Do you use them?

I never heard of these water alarms before. Thank you for sharing.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:48 pm

bertilak wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:06 pm
We use those under sinks but the laundry room has a floor drain so water leaks will not be a problem -- unless the drain clogs!
Drains can also back up, as I can attest to from experience... when I say "back up" I mean "fill my entire basement with 12 inches of raw sewage".
Good times!

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:51 pm

Heard alarm, actually took me a little time to figure out what it was because I forgot I had put it in. Looked under sink and lo and behold there was some water under a connector (still contained in the under sink tray I had too). I would not have looked under there otherwise so probably saved some damage.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:58 pm

We have one near the sump pump/laundry area, and another near the lower level back door (which is "below level").
Both of them are connected to the main alarm system, so if we aren't home (or our housesitter isn't here at the moment) the alarm will go off [loud!]. the zone will show on the panel (one on each level), and shortly thereafter, the alarm company will start phoning the numbers on their list until they reach a person.

In another house, we had a basement flood, and thank goodness it wasn't a finished basement. The water got rather deep... a real mess!

Our lower level now is almost fully finished, and reasonably nicely furnished.
Flood insurance doesn't cover furnishings, and even if we were home, we can't sling exercise equipment or large sofas/tables beds/dressers on our backs and get them upstairs...

Having some warning gives us a fighting chance, especially if it isn't a huge surge of some sort, which is probably unlikely in our area.
Water can do unbelievable damage (watching progress of Hurricane Dorian just now... yikes).

These little devices are quite sensitive. I replaced one on a tile floor after cleaning with a damp mop, and apparently it wasn't quite dry enough. That's how I know just HOW loud that alarm is :shock:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:01 pm

bertilak wrote:
MarkerFM wrote:
That's a good tip!
Any issue with turning off the main water supply to the house?

MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:14 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:01 pm
bertilak wrote:
MarkerFM wrote:
That's a good tip!
Any issue with turning off the main water supply to the house?
I was told that if you turn off the main water supply, you should also turn off the water heater. Apparently the water heater could lose water while you are away, and the heating element would burn out.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:14 pm

Yes, have been using them for years. Have one under each sink and next to washing machine. Over the years, they have gone off a few times, indicating some seepage every time. When we used to leave the house for more than a day, we turned off the main inflow to the house - and the circuit breaker for the hot water heater.

zeppy

Post by zeppy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:41 pm

After a leaking issue a couple of years ago, I purchased 5 of these and placed them in key locations around the house. Fortunately, I have never had another issue that put them to the test but I just now went and tested all 5 of them (with a tiny amount of water applied to the bottoms of them)and they all started beeping immediately. They are not extremely loud but I can hear any one of them from anywhere in my two bedroom villa.
https://www.amazon.com/Zircon-Leak-Ale ... way&sr=8-4

Bnjneer

Post by Bnjneer » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:45 pm

I installed WaterCops under washing machine, hot water heater, each sink, and near each toilet. If they get activated by water on the floor, they shut off the main water supply.

I've known several people that have come home to broken water pipes and I am hoping my system can stop the flooding before that happens. I hope they never get activated! I test them periodically and they work as designed.

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:03 pm

I recently installed a couple. I have an abode alarm system and they integrate with the system so in addition to the audible alarm I get a notification on my phone.

FGal

Post by FGal » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:06 pm

My water company just installed smart meters so not only do they not need actual people coming to read the meters in our neighborhood any more, but they provide an online service where you can see your water usage almost in real time and set up leak alerts to text/email you if it goes over what you customize (X gallons an hour over 24 hours). It reports into the website (and the district) every hour, but "officially" records the day's usage at like 11:30pm.

I know exactly how much water it takes to flush a toilet, run a load of laundry or the dishwasher now. It's bizarrely entertaining.

So no longer need gas, electric OR water company people boots on the ground around here.

Might want to ask if your water district has any plans to go with smart meters any time soon as an extra layer of protection.
FIREd as of March 2015!

stats99

Post by stats99 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:08 pm

After a burst basement water pipe I have installed the following: https://www.moen.com/flo/how-it-works

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:18 pm

stats99 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:08 pm
After a burst basement water pipe I have installed the following: https://www.moen.com/flo/how-it-works
Wow, how exactly does it work?
I guess the price is a little high but nothing compared to how much money it can save AND that it can shut off water supply remotely!

Calli114

Post by Calli114 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:32 pm

stats99 wrote:
That looks like a smart investment - in my neighbor's case, she said the main water pipe started leaking at a bend ABOVE the main shutoff valve - would the Flo still detect that?

BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:49 pm

I installed these at the water heater and the washing machine.

http://www.getfloodstop.com/

I also have water sensors hooked into my alarm system so i will be alerted if i am away.

I also have freeze sensors set at 45 degrees to alert if the heating system fails.

Silly Wabbit

Post by Silly Wabbit » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:07 pm

I've got several smart-home leak detectors hooked up. They trigger alerts on my phone and set off a small siren. They've been great so far, detected a leaking washer.

Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:42 pm

Calli114 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:25 pm
This seems like a good idea - my neighbor just had a basement flood from the main water entry pipe that went undetected til it was a big mess.
Do you have one under all the sinks, or only by appliances?
I have not checked with my security company about any wired detectors they might offer.
Most everywhere that water is stubbed out of the wall. I think washers, dishwashers, and water heaters are the most important, if you have to prioritize.

Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:43 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:31 pm
fortfun wrote:

Do you use them?

I first saw them at our VRBO rental in Hawaii two years ago. When we returned, I decided to add them to our house. $30 seems like a cheap alternative to disaster.

Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:50 pm

stats99 wrote:
Wonder if home owners insurance goes down with one of these? Seems like most people I know have made claims due to water leaks. Seems like they would give you a heft break.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:55 pm

zeppy wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:41 pm
After a leaking issue a couple of years ago, I purchased 5 of these and placed them in key locations around the house. Fortunately, I have never had another issue that put them to the test but I just now went and tested all 5 of them (with a tiny amount of water applied to the bottoms of them)and they all started beeping immediately. They are not extremely loud but I can hear any one of them from anywhere in my two bedroom villa.
I have these as well. I like that they will beep at you if the battery is getting low (not all of the water alarms will do that). My upstairs neighbor knows if he hears alarms to give me a call. A plumber came through at the request of the HOA to do some sort of inspection recently, and he said I was being a very responsible homeowner with all of my water alarms...I do need to put one by the refrigerator line that comes in for the ice maker and by the washing machine.

Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:01 pm

LilyFleur wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:55 pm
zeppy wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:41 pm
I have these as well. I like that they will beep at you if the battery is getting low (not all of the water alarms will do that). My upstairs neighbor knows if he hears alarms to give me a call. A plumber came through at the request of the HOA to do some sort of inspection recently, and he said I was being a very responsible homeowner with all of my water alarms...I do need to put one by the refrigerator line that comes in for the ice maker and by the washing machine.
Oops, I forgot about the water line into the freezer. Thanks for the reminder!

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:25 pm

I have these hooked into my home automation system, so I will get an alert whether I am home or not.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:40 pm

fortfun wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:43 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:31 pm
fortfun wrote:

Do you use them?

I first saw them at our VRBO rental in Hawaii two years ago. When we returned, I decided to add them to our house. $30 seems like a cheap alternative to disaster.
Agreed. Thanks!

sergio

Post by sergio » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:45 pm

bertilak wrote:
MarkerFM wrote:
That's a good tip!
Don't forget the dishwasher. I talked to a plumber last week who told me that the vast majority of catastrophic water damage events occur due to a hose burst, not copper pipe failure (unless the pipes freeze). One of my coworkers has a family member that suffered $200k in damage (to their >$1m home) when a toilet supply line failed on the top floor of their house and spewed water non-stop for weeks...

I'm home anywhere from 1/2 to 2/3 of the day during the week, and most of the weekends, - so I figure it's worth having a few around in case of a plumbing failure. A few hours of running water can be the difference between a minor inconvenience or a total basement tear out...

RetiredInTheWest

Post by RetiredInTheWest » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:49 pm

After a few friends had water damage, we have them everywhere! Not always home, but a cheap way to hear and solve the problem when we are. Otherwise we turn off water to the house.

Mister A

Post by Mister A » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:00 pm

The lowest drain is a basement shower pan and I keep two of these in there. It's mostly unused but if the sewer lift station fails during a storm and the check valve isn't operating properly, that's where it backs up.

Not much to do about it but at least I can get the pump down and call ServPro before they get backed up with calls.

partner

Post by partner » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:16 pm

A few have posted about devices that automatically shuts off the water when a leak is detected but I believe all of them requires splicing into the water line. We all know what plumbers charge. I hooked up a device that connects directly over the shut off valve and turns it off when a leak is detected. I have detectors every point at which there is a water connection.
Any system that doesn't turn off the water automatically is of no use if you are not home all the time. Why take a chance?
Here's what I installed. very simple to DIY. Buy off E-bay at half the cost of Home Depot.
https://www.getguardian.com/

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:40 pm

fortfun wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:50 pm
stats99 wrote:
Wonder if home owners insurance goes down with one of these? Seems like most people I know have made claims due to water leaks. Seems like they would give you a heft break.
I had a water detector installed next to my 20 year old hot water heater this year. The annual HO insurance premium savings = the additional monthly fee charged by ADT to add the detector. I also paid something (less than $100?) for the unit& its installation. My insurer will only offer premium reductions for monitored systems.

The water heater is located in an unfinished area of the basement but backs up to a completely finished area with built-in wall unit, closets and a full bathroom.

Off to look at the ones you linked from Amazon. I would probably hear water running if I were in the house by myself, but I know my college students would not.

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:55 am

Anyone have experience with the Moen Flo? www.meetflo.com

Will alert you when a leak is detected and can automatically shut off the water supply.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:28 am

fortfun wrote:
stats99 wrote:
My insurance company is insisting that I install a leak detector after our renovation is finished, and will give a discount for a water shutoff. I am debating between the Water Cop type (multiple sensors at common leak locations) and the Moen type (learns your household water usage). We have wells and out-buildings, which complicates things, but I’m leaning to installing Moen because it will detect slow in-wall leaks. We would have to place the detector/shutoff strategically so that we don’t have constant false alarms from irrigation anomalies.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:53 am

fortfun wrote:

Do you use them?

No I do not use them. I do not see the value.

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:54 am

bertilak wrote:
fortfun wrote:

Do you use them?

Here's a water flow chart: https://flexpvc.com/Reference/WaterFlow ... Size.shtml

Assuming average water pressure, a standard 3/4" pipe will output about 23 gallons per minute, or 1,410 gallons per hour. Your floor drain won't be able to handle anything even approaching these numbers. It'll help with a slow leak or a drip, but if the hose bursts, your backup drain won't save you.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:11 am

UALflyer wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:54 am
bertilak wrote:

Here's a water flow chart: https://flexpvc.com/Reference/WaterFlow ... Size.shtml

Assuming average water pressure, a standard 3/4" pipe will output about 23 gallons per minute, or 1,410 gallons per hour. Your floor drain won't be able to handle anything even approaching these numbers. It'll help with a slow leak or a drip, but if the hose bursts, your backup drain won't save you.
You are scaring me!

I do have a single 1/4-turn valve next to the water softener to shut off water to the house. There are two problems with this:
  1. There is still water pressure going to the softener. That could blow a gasket and spew water.
  2. That doesn't shut off the outside hose bibs. I have had one of these leak.
I need to look it over and see the best way to fix that. The main valve to the house is out by the street and difficult to get at, plus scorpions like it.

bgatze

Post by bgatze » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:19 am

We bought a new home last year and our sump pump runs absolutely non-stop! So when we moved in I replaced the older pump with a new one and installed water leak alarms. Deciding this still wasn't enough and I was losing sleep I explored additonal backups.

This is a backup pump that uses fresh water supply to pump out the sump pump; 2 gal to 1. It is slim and able to fit in my smaller sump hole with the main pump. Now I have a new pump, backup pump that will continue even when power is out & leak detectors. I sleep very well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013 ... UTF8&psc=1
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” | ― Margaret Mead

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:07 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:28 am
fortfun wrote:
stats99 wrote:
My insurance company is insisting that I install a leak detector after our renovation is finished, and will give a discount for a water shutoff. I am debating between the Water Cop type (multiple sensors at common leak locations) and the Moen type (learns your household water usage). We have wells and out-buildings, which complicates things, but I’m leaning to installing Moen because it will detect slow in-wall leaks. We would have to place the detector/shutoff strategically so that we don’t have constant false alarms from irrigation anomalies.
Same concerns here.
Well and outbuildings, stable, etc.
Not sure about the Moen on water usage as horses drink a lot, also washdowns, etc.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:24 am

Not sure about the Moen on water usage as horses drink a lot, also washdowns, etc.
I think we will put a Moen sensor after the wells supplying pool/irrigation/cabana/garage and before the main house supply. Should satisfy insurance company and us. Otherwise, I expect a false alarm weekly, which would be a PITA if it shuts down the water when we are away.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:27 am

We have them under every sink and in the basement. Also have a dishwasher pan with a detector there too. Had a sink drip out of the blue that could have caused damage but the alarm alerted to us. Best to put a pan under the sinks so a slow drip turns into a puddle so the alarm goes off.

batpot

Post by batpot » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:19 am

partner wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:16 pm
A few have posted about devices that automatically shuts off the water when a leak is detected but I believe all of them requires splicing into the water line. We all know what plumbers charge. I hooked up a device that connects directly over the shut off valve and turns it off when a leak is detected. I have detectors every point at which there is a water connection.
Any system that doesn't turn off the water automatically is of no use if you are not home all the time. Why take a chance?
Here's what I installed. very simple to DIY. Buy off E-bay at half the cost of Home Depot.
https://www.getguardian.com/
Have you tried it?
I can see this causing a leak if it stressed your pipes, which it will to engage the valve. In my case, my water main is PEX, and this will definitely not work.

I have considered the flow meter shutoffs, but they all seem proprietary, and can't integrate with smartthings leak sensors.
EDIT, looks like the Moen one is IFTT compatible, so that might work.

queso

Post by queso » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:55 am

Yep. Lost a finished basement to a leak a few years back while on vacation and had some stuff damaged once when an aquarium cracked when nobody was home. Now have a system with sensors everywhere that alerts every family member via text and notifications if water is detected. I also have a bunch of the Zircon type scattered around that I had before I bought the internet connected system.

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:51 am

Mrxyz wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:18 pm
stats99 wrote:
Wow, how exactly does it work?
I guess the price is a little high but nothing compared to how much money it can save AND that it can shut off water supply remotely!
It's not a Moen device. It is a Flo Technologies device, which has been around for a few years, but was very recently rebranded to use Moen's name. Keep in mind that it uses a monthly subscription model, which requires you to pay monthly to get the full benefit.

There is a number of other devices on the market: Chubb, PURE and Hanover all recommend the Leak Defense system (https://leakdefensesystem.com/) and offer discounts on the hardware. State Farm lists a number of whole house water shutoff systems on its website: https://www.statefarm.com/simple-insigh ... -detection

When you research whole house water shutoff valves, pay close attention to them. Some are sensor based and some are water flow based. The sensor based ones have sensors placed in vulnerable spots, which, once activated, cause the system to shut off the water flow to the house. The downside of the sensor based systems is the fact that the water may not always flow to the sensors, plus they don't protect against hidden leaks behind walls, etc... The advantage of the sensors based ones is that as soon as they detect water, they immediately cause the system to shut off, so that they can work faster than a flow based system, particularly if the failure happens while you're home (or the system isn't armed and thinks that you're home). For a smaller house, a sensor based system also tends to be cheaper than a flow based one.

On the other hand, a flow based system monitors your water flow and can be tied to your security system, so that it knows when you are away. If you are away, for instance, it is programmed so that continuous water flow that lasts more than, let's say 3 minutes (that's the amount of time an average washing machine or a dishwasher take to fill up) causes the system to shut off the water to the house. If you are at home, it won't activate for longer periods of time, so that it won't get triggered while you're taking a shower, etc... Since it is flow based, it protects you against hidden leaks as well, and is considered to be a more comprehensive system than a sensor based one. It just needs to be properly configured to work for your water use, so that it does not have false alarms, while still properly protecting your house.

You also need to check to see how each system is set up. With some cheaper shutoff devices, they don't use a full port valve, so you will experience reduced water pressure in your house. You also generally want to purchase the most durable, heavy duty ones out there, as it'll be a pain if it fails (especially if it shut off all water to the house and then refuses to open it).

Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:47 pm

tag tag tag, what a great thread.
Haven't had a chance to read everything. What is the latest and greatest sensor, which doesnt need plumbing?

I have a Nest Alarm system. This doesnt have to integrate with Nest, but would be nice.

Edit: Saw these. Any opinions?:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0788B6L3V/re ... merReviews
Buy Low, Sell High

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:21 pm

We had a leak a few years ago that caused $14,000 of damage. :shock: :annoyed :( :x

I have the Zircon battery alarms all over the house now. When we are gone overnight I always shut off the water main and hot water heater. I am thinking about getting one of the devices that shuts off the water main when a leak is detected.

I would think that insurance companies would have a strong motivation to promote water alarms, but so far, I have heard nothing from mine (USAA).

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:05 pm

We had a couple of slab leaks. They were hidden and didn't cause any property damage. But one cost us several thousand dollars just in the water bill.

That made me paranoid of water leaks. My biggest concern is one occurs while we are traveling out of town. Also, our area has more power outages than normal. I can see one conceivably happening while the automatic watering system is operating--if this happens, the water cold be left on for protracted period.

What we do know is just turn off the water main when we leave town. (We also turn off the water heater at the same time to avoid it going dry and burning out.)

What I've thought would be nice is to be have an automated valve with a back up battery that would turn on and off the water feed to the house. While we were out of town, I'd have it turn on just long enough for the water system to complete it's rounds. Ideally, I'd be able to monitor it on my phone over the Internet.

I have no idea if something like this exists, but this thread is motivating me to look into it.

stats99

Post by stats99 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:04 pm

Check out above links for Flo by Moen. They have just added a 3 day backup battery option. All controlled from your phone or computer. I have had since April.