Not gaining weight on vacation?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:47 pm

Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by Kennedy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:08 pm

I travel frequently and am very well aware of a pattern. I take a vacation and gain 8 pounds...spend two months losing the weight...go on another vacation and regain the 8 pounds...repeat.

I have an upcoming ten day trip to Japan and want to avoid gaining weight this time.

It seems my vulnerability lies with the breakfast buffets I get for free with my hotel status. They are particularly tempting in Asian countries due to the huge selection. I have even considered giving up one particular credit card that provides me with free breakfast in order to avoid the temptation all together, but this seems extreme.

It seems there are many people on this forum who travel frequently. I recall reading a thread here a couple years ago that gave some great tips on the subject (avoiding weight gain while traveling), but I can't find it now. I'm hoping others will share what has worked for them.

User avatar
TxAg
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:09 am

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by TxAg » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:46 pm

Skip a meal each day.

Drink less alcohol.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5608
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:52 pm

Coffee in the room.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

User avatar
Random Musings
Posts: 5580
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by Random Musings » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:55 pm

You already answered your question; eat a modest breakfast. Perhaps work out in the gym early before breakfast?

For our family, vacations are typically very active with lots of hiking (or walking when sightseeing). 10 miles a day is a good average. I drink a lot of water and keep the pop (soda) down to one every other a day or so and avoid juices at breakfast.

Ice cream,well, that's another story :oops: . However, by doing this, weight gain is minimal. Once in a while, I've even dropped a few.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

runner3081
Posts: 2703
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by runner3081 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:58 pm

Self control?

Exercise?

onourway
Posts: 2169
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by onourway » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:12 am

Make exercise part of your daily routine no matter where you are in the world. Running or walking is fantastic because it doesn’t require you to bring much of anything extra, it’s a great way to get to explore and see more of new areas, and going for a long run or walk shortly after arrival is the best defense I’ve found against jet lag.

livesoft
Posts: 69626
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by livesoft » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:19 am

Perhaps work hard before the trip to lose more weight before one goes?

Of course, there is always the very unpleasant way: Get sick.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 7360
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by HueyLD » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:55 am

After having a big breakfast, you can either skip the lunch or eat some fruits for lunch to give your digestive system a break. And never eat a big meal for dinner except maybe once per week. And of course do a lot of walking and other exercise routine to get in shape and burn some fat off.

robphoto
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:42 pm

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by robphoto » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:08 am

On our trips to Japan I usually lose weight; I think these are the reasons:
-- lots of walking
-- not always in a hotel with breakfast; might be only an onigiri, a yogurt and tea from the 7-11
-- even when there is breakfast, the asian options can be light in calories-- think rice, small egg serving, fish, pickled vegetables, tea
-- less access to between meal snacks

Actually, all the walking is probably the main reason, overall.

criticalmass
Posts: 1407
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by criticalmass » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:19 am

Kennedy wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:08 pm
I travel frequently and am very well aware of a pattern. I take a vacation and gain 8 pounds...spend two months losing the weight...go on another vacation and regain the 8 pounds...repeat.

I have an upcoming ten day trip to Japan and want to avoid gaining weight this time.

It seems my vulnerability lies with the breakfast buffets I get for free with my hotel status. They are particularly tempting in Asian countries due to the huge selection. I have even considered giving up one particular credit card that provides me with free breakfast in order to avoid the temptation all together, but this seems extreme.

It seems there are many people on this forum who travel frequently. I recall reading a thread here a couple years ago that gave some great tips on the subject (avoiding weight gain while traveling), but I can't find it now. I'm hoping others will share what has worked for them.
How much are you exercising on vacation? I don’t usually use hotel fitness center for more than 30 minutes a day, but I do plenty of running and outdoor activities (e.g. skiing, swimming, hiking up mountains, depending on location and season).

Eat for health, not for volume. I enjoy a large breakfast, but focus on protein and fruits. Often I’ll replace lunch with a snack after a large breakfast, which is most compatible with being out on the trail all day. Or alternatively I’ll have a small breakfast, then make lunch my main course of the day.

Tl;dr: Ensure plenty of exercise and eat moderately each day.

livesoft
Posts: 69626
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by livesoft » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:24 am

This thread needs to be combined with all those "What to do in [name your city]?" ones where recommendations to eat in about 8 different restaurants a day proliferate.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 1732
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:28 am
Location: Philippines

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by kramer » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:35 am

Yes, I understand about the free breakfast thing ... I don't even eat breakfast when at home and when in Bangkok recently I avoided the buffet breakfast a few times or just had black coffee there but mostly I ate a lot when I wasn't so hungry. Not to mention that the city is an amazing foodie destination.

A possibility is to use more calories ... many Westerners pay money on vacation to avoid any sort of exertion. Think of ways to avoid this and perhaps walk and exercise more. When I can, I normally use stairs instead of elevator. On my recent Bangkok vacation I walked to three different parks and went running in two of them, trying to integrate that aspect of my life into my vacation also (but it took advance research to know where to go, etc.). I visited the hotel gym a couple of times, etc. Walking 2 kilometers to somewhere to see sight is not "far", etc.

User avatar
Cyclesafe
Posts: 1019
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by Cyclesafe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:47 am

Part of traveling for fun is eating. And usually it's the only pleasure in traveling for business.

We're quite active on vacation and we try to eat healthy by avoiding simple carbs (only one pint/day). But we need to avoid being hangry, an often result of an inadequate breakfast.

Nevertheless, I also gain weight on long trips and spend the interim slowly taking it off with a routine healthy lifestyle.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” - Dwight Eisenhower

zeal
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:28 pm

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by zeal » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:14 am

I usually lose weight when traveling by paying attention to diet and exercise. I have a week-long workout plan I made years ago (which I just repeat as necessary on longer-than-a-week trips) and make sure to not go too heavy on two of the day's three meals. On vacation with family, I eat light breakfast & lunch because I know everyone wants a big dinner. When traveling for business, I exercise first thing in the morning, annihilate the hotel's free breakfast buffet, then go easy on lunch and dinner.

Come up with something ahead of time that will work for you and for the people you're traveling with (I.e., don't force your family to eat salad with you when they're on vacation). I don't even talk about it when I'm there--just silently stick to my plans--because no one wants to hear that I'm watching my weight when they're trying to enjoy a dozen donuts.
Last edited by zeal on Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smoke
Posts: 487
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:45 pm
Location: Saturn

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by Smoke » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:15 am

My wife and I used to have the same problem when we went to the beach for a month every yr.
Then we changed our diet to low carb 4 yrs ago, now we don't gain an ounce when we get back.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 8705
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:35 am

Suggestions:

1. Portion control.
2. Food selection. (nutrition vs empty calories)
3. Whatever is your daily calorie baseline for weight maintenance, stick to it. If you gorge for b'fst, compensate the rest of the day.
4. Try your best to eat the same way you do as a lifestyle, no different on vacation. (tough tough tough)

This happens to me every time I go home (Hawaii) to visit family. Eating is one of my loves so all that island comfort food is my downfall. It took me forever to lose the 12 pounds I gained on the last trip which included seafood buffets, Chinese Dim Sum, Korean food, and island plate lunches.
Fortunately, a return to our normal healthy eating and extra weight fades away over time anyway, but I'd rather not gain it to begin with.

My next plan in November is to try harder (again) what I'm suggesting above. "Hopefully", I'll be able to stick to it.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

German Expat
Posts: 651
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:49 pm

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by German Expat » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:52 am

We like to vacation in Asia and stay in nice hotels with usually great breakfast options. I know the problem very well. E.g. last vacation in December / January was in Indonesia with one of the best breakfast buffets (and a la carte options) I have seen (St. Regis in Bali). Also went to Japan a couple times (work and vacation) and love their hotel breakfast.
What I do is to skip lunch or maximum take some fruits along. Also we tend to walk a lot. Even during a lazy beach vacation (e.g. UAE 5 star hotels) I will swim a lot and go every 2nd day to the gym.
In general I try to only eat 2 main meals a day and a small and healthy snack in between. On top of it try to move more. Also I try to stay away from Alcohol because this tends to be a lot of additional calories. I will only drink water or coffee (black or little milk) at breakfast and no fruit juices. Drinks add a surprising high number of calories.

OnTrack2020
Posts: 473
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:24 am

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by OnTrack2020 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:53 am

Try and keep meal times regular. If your typical eating pattern is at 7 am, 12 noon, and 6 pm, keep the same schedule.

Also, my husband traveled for business to 4 different countries a few years ago--Japan was one of them. He said of the 4 countries (2 European, 2 Asian), Japan was the one that had the least appetizing food. He mentioned that there typically was egg that was put on top of the food, and it was never cooked through. He just didn't care for the food, and he's not a picky eater.

User avatar
ClevrChico
Posts: 1596
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by ClevrChico » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:21 am

I lost weight on my last vacation.

I skipped breakfast, volunteered to carry all the heavy luggage, let others choose the restaurants, lots of walking, and went easy on the alcohol. Maybe I need a post vacation vacation. :oops: :D

User avatar
bottlecap
Posts: 6255
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by bottlecap » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:26 am

The same way you do it at home. Don't eat so much.

You can do that. Just be cognizant of how much (and what) you are eating at each meal. Then don't snack in between.

Good luck,

JT

flyingaway
Posts: 2590
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:19 am

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by flyingaway » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:27 am

Do not take taxi, walk to most places. Cities in Asia are crowded, many times walking or taking public transportation is faster.

flyingaway
Posts: 2590
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:19 am

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by flyingaway » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:30 am

OnTrack2020 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:53 am
Try and keep meal times regular. If your typical eating pattern is at 7 am, 12 noon, and 6 pm, keep the same schedule.

Also, my husband traveled for business to 4 different countries a few years ago--Japan was one of them. He said of the 4 countries (2 European, 2 Asian), Japan was the one that had the least appetizing food. He mentioned that there typically was egg that was put on top of the food, and it was never cooked through. He just didn't care for the food, and he's not a picky eater.
Japanese eats lots of fish, many are not cooked. They are healthy food.

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 5510
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by Kenkat » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:37 am

Stay at the Oliver Twist Motel. They only offer gruel for breakfast and if you ask for more...well, just don’t, ok?

On a serious note, go ahead and enjoy breakfast but substitute healthy choices for an item or two each breakfast. Fruit instead of potatoes; avocado on toast instead of cream cheese on a bagel, one egg instead of two or three, etc. Then eat a moderate sized lunch and try to stick to lower calorie items for dinner - seafood, salads, etc. And walk everywhere you can. Get a step counter and try to get into 5 figures every day.

dbr
Posts: 31335
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by dbr » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:45 am

We rely on large breakfasts but usually are very sparing with lunch and don't necessarily do large dinners every day. Combine that with lots of walking and I don't gain weight even on several weeks travel. Gaining up to ten pounds seems excessive, that is for sure.

siriusblack
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:50 pm

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by siriusblack » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:46 am

+1 to portion control.

Especially-- try to limit simple carbs, heavily processed foods, and sugars to a bare minimum. (Bread, potatoes, chips, fries, cereals, sugary drinks, etc.-- anything that your body can break down really quickly and convert to blood sugar. These will spike your insulin and trigger fat storage.)

Eat slowly, try to really enjoy what you're eating, aim for quality over quantity.

AlohaJoe
Posts: 5082
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:00 pm
Location: Saigon, Vietnam

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by AlohaJoe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:21 am

A billion scientific studies have established that exercise does little to lose weight. Walking burns about 2 calories per pound per hour. So a single breakfast omelet is going to require around 3 hours of non-stop walking just to break even. If you put sugar in your coffee, have bacon with the omelet, or added a pastry from the buffet, it'll take even longer.

The only solution is to change your diet.

User avatar
RootSki
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:52 am

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by RootSki » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:36 am

We never stay in hotels. AirBnB or VBRO a condo or a house so we can plan our meals and stick close to what we eat at home. What you spend for one two person breakfast at a diner can feed you both breakfast for a week. Not to mention going out all the time while on vacation is a huge time suck away from the fun things.

dknightd
Posts: 1938
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by dknightd » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:38 am

You have two choices.
Eat less while you are on vacation.
Or
eat less when you get home. I just eat less when I get home.
I would not worry about a 5lb gain or loss. But that is just me.
The weight seems to stay with darling wife, but, I seem to return to the mean.

It is easy. Balance calories in with calories out.

User avatar
DanMahowny
Posts: 994
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by DanMahowny » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:39 am

AlohaJoe wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:21 am
A billion scientific studies have established that exercise does little to lose weight. Walking burns about 2 calories per pound per hour. So a single breakfast omelet is going to require around 3 hours of non-stop walking just to break even. If you put sugar in your coffee, have bacon with the omelet, or added a pastry from the buffet, it'll take even longer.

The only solution is to change your diet.
Truth, yet people still believe exercise is the way to lose weight.
:oops:
Funding secured

victw
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:07 pm

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by victw » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:41 am

Kennedy wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:08 pm

I have an upcoming ten day trip to Japan and want to avoid gaining weight this time.
Japan. They weigh less than Americans?
Eat like the locals. This would be a great time to observe the differences in eating.

Vic

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 4200
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:42 am

Alcohol reduction
More exercise

Seasonal
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by Seasonal » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:42 am

AlohaJoe wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:21 am
A billion scientific studies have established that exercise does little to lose weight. Walking burns about 2 calories per pound per hour. So a single breakfast omelet is going to require around 3 hours of non-stop walking just to break even. If you put sugar in your coffee, have bacon with the omelet, or added a pastry from the buffet, it'll take even longer.

The only solution is to change your diet.
Exactly. Exercise is not effective for weight loss unless it decreases appetite - for most people it seems to have the opposite effect.

In addition, weight itself is not bad; it's additional bodyfat that's the real problem. Alas, there's a high correlation between gaining weight and gaining fat in most people (athletes and those who do a lot of resistance training and cardio are typical exceptions).

randomguy
Posts: 8536
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by randomguy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:48 am

AlohaJoe wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:21 am
A billion scientific studies have established that exercise does little to lose weight. Walking burns about 2 calories per pound per hour. So a single breakfast omelet is going to require around 3 hours of non-stop walking just to break even. If you put sugar in your coffee, have bacon with the omelet, or added a pastry from the buffet, it'll take even longer.

The only solution is to change your diet.
Walking barely counts as exercise:) . Spend 3 hours swimming, running, lifting, skiing, rowing... and you will burn enough calories to eat whatever you want.

Realistically if the OP is gaining 8lbs in 10 days, something funky is going on. You would need to be eating something like an extra 3k+ calories to gain that much fat which is a huge volume of food. We aren't talking about a big breakfast or a couple glasses of wine here. We are talking about eating 2-3x the amount of food you normally do. I am guessing they are getting a lot more sodium (and maybe carbs) than normal and are retaining a crap load of water.

dknightd
Posts: 1938
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by dknightd » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:58 am

randomguy wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:48 am

Walking barely counts as exercise:) . Spend 3 hours swimming, running, lifting, skiing, rowing... and you will burn enough calories to eat whatever you want.
It depends on what your goal is. I want to be able to walk for the rest of my life. So for me walking counts as exercise. Exercise for what you want to do. Control food intake as needed. Fiber is king. Eat enough fiber and this will help your body flush out unneeded intake.

dbr
Posts: 31335
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by dbr » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:59 am

randomguy wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:48 am

Realistically if the OP is gaining 8lbs in 10 days, something funky is going on. You would need to be eating something like an extra 3k+ calories to gain that much fat which is a huge volume of food. We aren't talking about a big breakfast or a couple glasses of wine here. We are talking about eating 2-3x the amount of food you normally do. I am guessing they are getting a lot more sodium (and maybe carbs) than normal and are retaining a crap load of water.
I am asking the same question. What is the time period we are talking about here?

dbr
Posts: 31335
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by dbr » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:01 am

dknightd wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:58 am
randomguy wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:48 am

Walking barely counts as exercise:) . Spend 3 hours swimming, running, lifting, skiing, rowing... and you will burn enough calories to eat whatever you want.
It depends on what your goal is. I want to be able to walk for the rest of my life. So for me walking counts as exercise. Exercise for what you want to do. Control food intake as needed. Fiber is king. Eat enough fiber and this will help your body flush out unneeded intake.
I think people who exercise reasonably also arrive at a better balance between intake and metabolism. Weight is not a simple equation of energy in/energy out.

flyingaway
Posts: 2590
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:19 am

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by flyingaway » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:04 am

I agree that controlling food intake is the most important factor in controlling weight. But one of the reasons for vacations is to enjoy food, especially the local food.

So, eat and walk, enjoy your vacations.

Seasonal
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by Seasonal » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:05 am

dbr wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:01 am
dknightd wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:58 am
randomguy wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:48 am

Walking barely counts as exercise:) . Spend 3 hours swimming, running, lifting, skiing, rowing... and you will burn enough calories to eat whatever you want.
It depends on what your goal is. I want to be able to walk for the rest of my life. So for me walking counts as exercise. Exercise for what you want to do. Control food intake as needed. Fiber is king. Eat enough fiber and this will help your body flush out unneeded intake.
I think people who exercise reasonably also arrive at a better balance between intake and metabolism. Weight is not a simple equation of energy in/energy out.
An increased metabolism will result in more energy out, but it's still energy in/energy out. The excess energy is either used by increased metabolism or stored.

dknightd
Posts: 1938
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by dknightd » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:10 am

dbr wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:01 am
Weight is not a simple equation of energy in/energy out.
But it is! Mass and energy do not disappear.

SrGrumpy
Posts: 1193
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:12 am

Common sense? Enjoy the breakfast buffet in its fullness. This means you can skip lunch and get by with a small dinner. Skipping alcohol is a great idea, but you're in Japan: Enjoy the sake, in moderation.

Do a lot of walking - not strolling - with elevated heart rate. It's not the end of the world if you gain a few pounds. They will disappear quickly once you get home and start Intermittent Fasting.

I think weight-watching while traveling is a fool's errand. I'm off to Lebanon next week and fully intend to maximize baklava devouring opportunities.

User avatar
arcticpineapplecorp.
Posts: 4647
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:19 am

there's a show on netflix called "Somebody Feed Phil Now". The show originally started on PBS I believe and it was called "I'll Have What Phil's Having". The concept for both shows is similar. He travels to places around the world and enjoys both the local cuisine, and some famous chefs' specialties while discussing the the culture and history of the locale, and creating long lasting relationships with people he's met.

Anyway, Phil eats like a monster. I wondered for many episodes where the heck he puts it all. Then one episode (Paris maybe?) he was running in the morning and said he goes for his morning jog. Ah, that's what he does on vacation, eats...but exercises...so he can eat more.

So maybe exercise while on vacation?
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

dknightd
Posts: 1938
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by dknightd » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:20 am

Honestly, if I do not gain weight while on vacation (or just away from home) I would be worried!

User avatar
RootSki
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:52 am

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by RootSki » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:33 am

Mind over matter.

Last cruise I went on, I lost 6 pounds.

stoptothink
Posts: 6791
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by stoptothink » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:34 am

Random Musings wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:55 pm
You already answered your question; eat a modest breakfast. Perhaps work out in the gym early before breakfast?

For our family, vacations are typically very active with lots of hiking (or walking when sightseeing). 10 miles a day is a good average. I drink a lot of water and keep the pop (soda) down to one every other a day or so and avoid juices at breakfast.

Ice cream,well, that's another story :oops: . However, by doing this, weight gain is minimal. Once in a while, I've even dropped a few.

RM
Actually, if the problem is breakfast, skip it all together. Very obvious answer, and not that much harder to do than it sounds. Just walk right past the breakfast buffet.

randomguy
Posts: 8536
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by randomguy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:39 am

dknightd wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:10 am
dbr wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:01 am
Weight is not a simple equation of energy in/energy out.
But it is! Mass and energy do not disappear.
Yes the laws of thermodynamics are not violated but the confusion is that energy in directly effects energy out and that effect differs between people. Some people can take in an extra 1000 calories and basically burn them off by not digesting the food or increased maintenance costs. Other people just pile on the weight. Google set point theory and some of the overfeeding studies where some people gain 10lbs and others gain 50lbs on the same diet. The general trend over time is that excess calories make you fat but it is far from a simple equation where eating an extra 3500 calories at a meal will pack on 1 lb of body fat.

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9466
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:03 am

randomguy wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:48 am
AlohaJoe wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:21 am
A billion scientific studies have established that exercise does little to lose weight. Walking burns about 2 calories per pound per hour. So a single breakfast omelet is going to require around 3 hours of non-stop walking just to break even. If you put sugar in your coffee, have bacon with the omelet, or added a pastry from the buffet, it'll take even longer.

The only solution is to change your diet.
Walking barely counts as exercise:) . Spend 3 hours swimming, running, lifting, skiing, rowing... and you will burn enough calories to eat whatever you want.

Realistically if the OP is gaining 8lbs in 10 days, something funky is going on. You would need to be eating something like an extra 3k+ calories to gain that much fat which is a huge volume of food. We aren't talking about a big breakfast or a couple glasses of wine here. We are talking about eating 2-3x the amount of food you normally do. I am guessing they are getting a lot more sodium (and maybe carbs) than normal and are retaining a crap load of water.
At least for us, we seriously do think "something funky is going on" :D

We just gain too much, too fast. Importantly, it comes off even faster once we get home, most of the time (and thank goodness for that!).

Our guess is salt. We *never* add salt to meals, during cooking or after, at home.
And we suspect that "eating establishments" add a lot of salt, to enhance flavor so the food "tastes GREAT", etc.

We also don't tend to eat a lot of processed carbs, and try to restrict them somewhat.
For those on ultra-low-carb diets, the initial (very first) weight loss tends to be "water" [this is also reinforcing, of course], but then eating carbs again can cause the re-gain of that limited "water weight".
We think this might be *part* of what is happening to us as well.
(We just don't eat dessert at home, or occasionally share one. When traveling? It's another story, unfortunately. We also enjoy eating, and it's often part of the enjoyment of traveling. We just try not to got totally nuts, although nuts are quite healthy, of course :wink: )

As we've been traveling more and more, we've noticed this pattern repeatedly.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9466
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:09 am

randomguy wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:39 am
dknightd wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:10 am
dbr wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:01 am
Weight is not a simple equation of energy in/energy out.
But it is! Mass and energy do not disappear.
Yes the laws of thermodynamics are not violated but the confusion is that energy in directly effects energy out and that effect differs between people. Some people can take in an extra 1000 calories and basically burn them off by not digesting the food or increased maintenance costs. Other people just pile on the weight. Google set point theory and some of the overfeeding studies where some people gain 10lbs and others gain 50lbs on the same diet. The general trend over time is that excess calories make you fat but it is far from a simple equation where eating an extra 3500 calories at a meal will pack on 1 lb of body fat.
This ^^
Before retiring, I did some research on this, and colleagues (in a variety of research settings) have explored it in far more detail, including much more recently.

Not everyone "processes" the food they ingest the same way.
No laws of thermodynamics are being violated, at least not that anyone seriously suspects :twisted:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

dbr
Posts: 31335
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by dbr » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:16 am

dknightd wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:10 am
dbr wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:01 am
Weight is not a simple equation of energy in/energy out.
But it is! Mass and energy do not disappear.
It's because the two variables affect each other and can't be controlled independently. Appetite in particular is difficult to influence. No one doubts that weight loss or control by starvation works, but that isn't an effective solution. The issue lies in what processes, practices and genetics affect the body's homeostatis regarding appetite, composition of food, digestion, exercise, and lifestyle habits, and weight and composition of weight (fat, muscle, water, etc.)

One teaspoon of sugar contains 16 calories of energy. One excess teaspoon of sugar every day for thirty years is 175,200 calories. A gram of fat contains 9 calories if energy. Thus that 175,200 calories of sugar would result in a 30 year wt. gain of 53 lbs. in fat. Yet no one can control dietary intake to the teaspoon of sugar. Lots of people grab some sugar here and there and are not 50 lbs. overweight and lots of people diet away far more than a teaspoon of sugar and are still 50 lbs. or more overweight.

Hockey10
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:20 pm
Location: Philadelphia suburbs

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by Hockey10 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:17 am

I have a target weight that I maintain year round. Prior to a vacation, I try to lose a few pounds, so that I won't feel guilty at the all you can eat hotel breakfast buffet. When I get home, I am usually no more than 1 or 2 pounds over my target weight.

dknightd
Posts: 1938
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Not gaining weight on vacation?

Post by dknightd » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:19 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:03 am

Our guess is salt.

As we've been traveling more and more, we've noticed this pattern repeatedly.

RM
You might be right. It might be worth researching ;)
Over and over again.

I'm betting on fiber. It could be both fiber and salt.

Or it could be you are just away from home. So your body increases mass, since it does not know what comes next.

Locked