Any Happy DVC owners here? [Disney Vacation Club]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SuperSaver

Any Happy DVC owners here? [Disney Vacation Club]

Post by SuperSaver »

I've been contemplating making a Disney Vacation Club purchase (It's not a timeshare!) Have spent ALOT of time researching the complicated system. I would love people's thoughts if they've purchased one

My starting framework:
1) We would use it 5-6 days a year, with one trip annually
2) We live close to the Hilton Head resort, and would use this occassionally as well
3) We would ideally use Epcot/MK sites and leave car behind while in Florida
4) Likely get re-sale, as the benefits from direct from DISNEY purchase are not that great to me
5) Kids are in grade school, and still enjoy going. And likely will thru high school on top of Nat'l Park/European vacations
6) We would only use park 1-2 days while there, and not NOT get annual passes
7) I fully realize this is a pre-paid vacation, and not an investment

My Questions are:
1) Did you buy direct, or re-sale?
2) How many points should I get? I'm thinking 100-125
3) Should I wait on recession and scoop a deal?
4) What is reasonable "bargain"? I do not want to pay > $120/point
5) What did you not know then that you know now?
6) Do you have any regrets?
7) How limited is the 11-month/7mo reservation window?
8) We don't like to cook on vacation. How much nicer is 3 days in 1-BR villa, over 6 days in regular "hotel" DVC room?
9) What DVC properties are great in balancing value with location?

Some other important caveats:
- We would purchase the membership with money from a late family member's estate. This would be an emotional purchase, and a way to "remember" our loved ones who loved Disney

- Putting the money from the settled estate into a CD/Savings Account will not provide us any extra fulfillment

- We are on-track with funding 401k/529/mortgage almost paid off

- My work pays for continuing education events at Disney every 2-3 years. We currently stay at Deluxe Hotel for 4-5 nights for "free". This is reason my wife not fully on-board with plan. My thoughts are we can use CE money and go somewhere else
Nate79

Re: Any Happy DVC owners here?

Post by Nate79 »

SuperSaver wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:16 am I've been contemplating making a Disney Vacation Club purchase (It's not a timeshare!) Have spent ALOT of time researching the complicated system. I would love people's thoughts if they've purchased one

My starting framework:
2) We live close to the Hilton Head resort, and would use this occassionally as well
4) Likely get re-sale, as the benefits from direct from DISNEY purchase are not that great to me
5) Kids are in grade school, and still enjoy going. And likely will thru high school on top of Nat'l Park/European vacations

My Questions are:
8) We don't like to cook on vacation. How much nicer is 3 days in 1-BR villa, over 6 days in regular "hotel" DVC room?

- We would purchase the membership with money from a late family member's estate. This would be an emotional purchase, and a way to "remember" our loved ones who loved Disney

- Putting the money from the settled estate into a CD/Savings Account will not provide us any extra fulfillment

- My work pays for continuing education events at Disney every 2-3 years. We currently stay at Deluxe Hotel for 4-5 nights for "free". This is reason my wife not fully on-board with plan. My thoughts are we can use CE money and go somewhere else
Of course it is a timeshare. They call it that right on their website.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.co ... p-program/
Sockpuppet

Post by Sockpuppet »

Have you considered:

1. This is a 50 year commitment. Kids grow up fast. Will you still want to hit Disney every year 10-15 years from now?
2. Can you count on Disney to maintain it’s current level of quality going forward. I love Disney but we’ve all seen once great companies enter decline and do you want to be committed to their future for better or worse.
3. DVC monkeys around with its points. The points needed in the 1990s to cover a decent vacation will now only get you a day or two at some resorts.
4. Your income could change in the future but you’ll sill be paying likely $1,000s a year in maintenance costs to say nothing of food and transportation while without DVC during a hard year you could skip on these expenses.

Seems to me your probably better off paying for Disney as you have in the past and keep the flexibility to adjust future plans should your interest, your finances, or Disney itself change significantly.

DVC might “save” some money short term, but long term it could be very costly.
willift

Post by willift »

Not sure if I have anything specifically to add on Disney. What I will recommend is, you check out Time Share Users Group for a wealth if TIMESHARE detail. The website I've used extensively is https://tug2.net/. Look for the Users Forums and you'll find specific groups dedicated to the Disney Product.

Good Luck Willift
Topic Author
SuperSaver

Post by SuperSaver »

Nate79 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:46 am
SuperSaver wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:16 am I've been contemplating making a Disney Vacation Club purchase (It's not a timeshare!) Have spent ALOT of time researching the complicated system. I would love people's thoughts if they've purchased one

My starting framework:

My Questions are:

Yes, I understand it is a timeshare (my spouse's argument)
But it is unique for the following reasons:

1) It has a time-limited end date contract.
This is a huge benefit to me. You are not "stuck" until death with this product

2) There is a robust re-sale/rental market for units

3) The market/points has appreciated with time

4) Unused points can be rented out to make it break-even on years when not used.

5) The owner (DIS) maintenance fees are justified because they routinely remodel units to keep them well-maintained

6) The annual maintence fees are reasonable for shorter points
- Currently $600-800/year with 100-point, with 3-4 % increases annually

7) I can justify paying annual fees (<$1000/year currently) as still being cheaper than staying in an off-site hotel for 4-5 days

8) Where else can I put these funds to generate the same utility to increase family time?
Aku09

Post by Aku09 »

I am not a DVC owner, but have had the same questions as you so I’m curious if there is anyone who is happy with their long term decision.

I have gone to Disney as a kid, with just my wife and I, and with my family of 3 children. I enjoy it every way.

I’m not in a position financially to purchase it currently (trying to knock out my huge student loan debt from grad school), but I’ve been curious for some time. My main reservation is being locked in to one hotel primarily as I like to try the different resorts (I hear there is very limited availability for popular resorts outside of your 11 month window). Also with my current job I have to schedule all my vacations for the upcoming year in October which would make the 11 month booking difficult.

Anyways, just something I’ve thought about as well.
Last edited by Aku09 on Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
csm

Post by csm »

I am not a DVC owner, but know many current and former owners. The current owners enjoy having them. The former owners claimed that the points appreciated so that they sold with a profit - they sold after their kids outgrew Disney. Two of the owners I know have grown children with grandkids now, so have been using their stays for two generations.

In addition to the TUG forums, suggest you visit the disboards.com which has a specific sub-forum for DVC. I get the impression that you would want to choose your home resort carefully. And you want to research whether you need to book at the earliest possible dates for your desired resort, or how available the close-in bookings might be. It matters if you are the type that can book your future vacations nearly a year ahead, or if you are more last-minute travelers.

It's a highly personal decision and if you think you would find value and enjoyment for at least 5+ years, it might be ok for you and your family. It seems it is always possible to resell points with no significant financial loss if you decide you want to get rid of them in future, unlike most timeshares.

Good luck!
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

You've done all the leg work. Now, I would pass.

Your kids will get into activities, sports, get jobs. The window for using this is very narrow.

It just doesn't seem to work out like you think it will and it takes away flexibility to do other things.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

SuperSaver wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:18 am
Nate79 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:46 am

My starting framework:

My Questions are:

Yes, I understand it is a timeshare (my spouse's argument)
But it is unique for the following reasons:

1) It has a time-limited end date contract.
This is a huge benefit to me. You are not "stuck" until death with this product

2) There is a robust re-sale/rental market for units

3) The market/points has appreciated with time

4) Unused points can be rented out to make it break-even on years when not used.

5) The owner (DIS) maintenance fees are justified because they routinely remodel units to keep them well-maintained

6) The annual maintence fees are reasonable for shorter points
- Currently $600-800/year with 100-point, with 3-4 % increases annually

7) I can justify paying annual fees (<$1000/year currently) as still being cheaper than staying in an off-site hotel for 4-5 days

8) Where else can I put these funds to generate the same utility to increase family time?
I'm confused. So you knew it was a timeshare yet you explicitly said it wasn't a timeshare?
SchruteB&B

Post by SchruteB&B »

We considered buying at Beach Club Villas during the Great Recession. Decided not to and continued to either “rent points” from services like dvc by request or take advantage of Disney’s periodic 25/ 30% off villa stays.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

What are your up-front costs? Are you paying cash, or financing? What are the annual maintenance fees? These tend to increase, by the way.
How easily can you get the time you want WHEN you want? With school age children, school breaks are often the most popular times requested.

It may be better to rent through VRBO instead of purchasing a long-term commitment.

We've owned five different timeshares, and it's not easy to rid yourself of them when you no longer want to use them....even the really good ones!
DarthSage

Post by DarthSage »

We bought, and then sold, our DVC. No regrets on selling--we got a couple vacations out of it, and at least broke even on selling (I honestly don't remember the details). We had no trouble selling at all (went through a DVC resale site, but Disney bought back the Contemporary points directly).

We found that it didn't work out for us like we'd hoped. You have to book at your home resort at the 11-month window, and then you're pretty locked in. We owned partially at Beach Club--you're not going to find anything there at the 7-month window, especially not a 2BR (we're a family of 6). We had school schedules change a couple times which impacted our vacation plans--what a pain! I dunno--it seemed like such a good idea, but then when we were in it, it wasn't "all that". My family much preferred renting a house offsite--much cheaper, more room, private pool, and the opportunity to see other Orlando sights. Wherever we stay, my kids have always preferred Mom-cooked meals to eating in restaurants (gee, thanks!).

Now, our youngest is 13, and he has little interest in Disney. We haven't been in a few years, since the implementation of their regimented fastpass bookings and all. None of that sounds at all appealing to me (booking ride or dinner reservations, months in advance). It also seems like prices go higher and higher, and the experince/value just isn't there--DVC owners used to get a bunch of perks, which are all but gone.

What I found interesting was that our favorite resort was Old Key West. It felt very remote (in a good way), yet we were right by a pool and a bus stop.

All that said, it could be a reasonable purchase for some people. If you love Disney and genuinely enjoy going every year, if you're a family of 4 or less, if you don't care where you stay when you book last-minute. Anyone who tells you that they're making money on it overall is likely lying (I have yet to see the numbers make sense). That said, if you have a vacation budget, and this is a destination of choice, you could get reasonable value from it.
SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan »

We have owned at DVC since 2005. We bought originally direct from Disney at Boardwalk, then added a few more points there a couple years later. We later bought some points at Grand Californian through resale in 2013 and then some more at GCV direct through Disney.

Our typical use is for just my husband and I in a studio. We have also booked 2BR units when inviting family to join us. The only resorts we have ever stayed at on points are BWV, GCV and Aulani on Oahu.

We find 1BRs to be a bad value. At some resorts, they actually sleep fewer people than a studio. They do have an in room washer/dryer. Studios need to use the free units available at the resort. We have also sent our laundry out for cleaning while staying a studio, which was a better financial choice then upgrading to the 1BR at a cost of using points with a value of about $150/night.

When we go to DW, we usually book exactly 11 months out to get the cheapest standard view rooms at BWV and stay for a week or more. We bunch 2 trips into a 1 year period and use WDW annual passes, which are still discounted for DVC members. Then we skip a year or so. Rinse. Repeat.

When we go to DL, we book more than 7 months out. We are 4 hours away and thought we would not be able to book so far in advance, but found it was fine for one trip a year or so.

For Aulani, we don’t go in the summer. That allows us to book ocean view studios at less than 7 months with no issue.

If we were to sell our points today, we would sell them at a gain.

Best website for potential DVC owners is mouseowners.com. Lots of people there can help you work through the decision making process.

Annual fees do go up every year. We pay about $2k per year now. That gets us about 7 nights per year in a studio at GCV or Aulani (ocean view) and 8 nights in a studio at BWV. Thus, the value is still there for us.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Continued growth of airbnb and other short term rentals will keep hotel pricing reasonable. Don't sign up for a commitment that won't save you anything. I know a few DVC people - Stockholm Syndrome.
SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan »

HoosierJim wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:48 am Continued growth of airbnb and other short term rentals will keep hotel pricing reasonable. Don't sign up for a commitment that won't save you anything. I know a few DVC people - Stockholm Syndrome.
The thing about Disney resorts at DW in particular is something that no AIRBnB will ever be able to match: location, location, location. One of the reasons we love having an annual pass at DW is that World Showcase is just a short walk from our hotel. We head over there on arrival night for a quick bite to eat without worrying about the cost of admission. That said, if you don’t put a premium on visiting Disney parks, the location confers no advantage. OP said they plan to spend only a couple of days in the parks while in Orlando, which suggests to me that DVC may not be a good fit for them.
jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu »

one happy DVC owner here. Allows our large family to spend a week a year in a 2BR villa at Disney which we’ve done for 8 or 9 years. Kids getting older so we’ll see how things go in the future.

We bought on secondary market for about half the Disney retail cost
Chip Munk

Post by Chip Munk »

I second the recommendation to spend time on the Disney Vacation Club sub-boards on the disboards.com. That's where I did my research before purchasing DVC 14 years ago. DVCnews.com and DVCinfo.com are a couple of other good sites with good static information as well as a forum.

DVC works well for us, particularly as east coasters with affordable, direct flights on Southwest from a nearby airport. We had been to Disney World a few times and enjoyed it, so we were comfortable committing to years of Disney vacations. We enjoy staying in the resorts where you can walk to one or more of the parks, watch fireworks or African animals from the balcony, etc. and I got tired of waiting for discount codes for those resorts when booking hotel rooms, so DVC made sense for us. We don't have kids, so we can go when the point costs are low. We plan our trips to get three trips on a annual pass, then we take a year off. Given how little time we spend in the parks, I'm questioning whether to buy passes again in the future given the price increases over the years.

I initially purchased resale, at a time when there were no restrictions on resale buyers so resale was an easy decision. I also added on twice at retail prices, but again, prices were much lower then. I sold one of my retail contracts a couple of years ago because we don't go as often and don't need so many points. I made a little money off of it, even after paying a commission to a broker. Don't count on that though. Would I buy in again at today's prices? Certainly not at retail prices but maybe at resale prices, but I would choose the resort carefully given the latest restrictions on resale buyers.

We aren't park commandos (no need, since we know we'll be going back) and prefer to book a 1BR (king size bed, whirlpool tub, full kitchen, washer and dryer). We spend a lot of time hanging out at the resort, relaxing by the pool, sitting out on the balcony, particularly at Animal Kingdom Lodge watching the giraffes, zebras, etc. while enjoying our morning coffee or a glass of wine in the evening. Many owners report that it does change the way they "do Disney" -- more relaxed, more pool time, etc.

The down side is that Disney has become ridiculously expensive but as DVCers, there are ways to save some money. We have breakfast in the room and sometimes dinner as well. I think Disney still offers their dining discount card that offers 20% off food and adult beverages but I stopped purchasing it because they raised the price to the point that it no longer works for a party of two. So when we do eat on Disney property, we tend to go to counter service places now instead of table service restaurants. The last couple of trips we rented a car for the week and dined offsite a couple of times.

To answer some of your specific questions, the Hilton Head resort can be very difficult to book in season if you don't own there. Dues are higher there (and at the other coastal resort in Vero Beach, FL) and there is the risk of a special assessment if there is ever hurricane damage. If you want to stay at Hilton Head occasionally, you could buy a different DVC resort but try to get Hilton Head points transferred from another member to give you the 11-month booking advantage when you need it. No guarantee that you'll be successful, but that's what some people opt to do.

The number of points you need is based on the time of year you will go, preferred accommodation size (studio, 1BR, 2BR, etc), and the resort so it's hard to say how many you would need. If you're happy staying in a studio for a week during the cheapest time of year at the least expensive resorts, 100-125 points might work. Disney does occasionally reallocate points so don't buy "just enough" for your stay or you could find yourself short of points down the road. Note that when Disney reallocates, the total points needed to book every room in the resort for the entire year cannot change so if they raise points during one part of the year, they need to lower them during another part of the year, or for other room types. It's actually a bit more complicated than that, but the general idea is that they cannot raise the points for all rooms in the resort across the whole of the year, although that didn't stop them from trying to do just that for 1BRs last year. A group of members pushed back on the legality of those changes and the revised point charts were withdrawn, at least for now.

Resale prices have gone down during previous recessions. I'm not up to date on current resale prices but there are several reputable brokers that post contracts for sale that will give you some idea of current asking prices. The Timeshare Store and DVC Resale Market as just two of the resellers that I've used, there are a few more well regarded brokers. Again, sites like the DISboards are the place to learn what recent buyers have paid for resale contracts.

There are times of year when the 11-month booking window is essential, in particular from October through part of January. For example, if you want to stay at an Epcot resort during the Food & Wine festival (Sep-Nov), you need to own one of those resorts and if you want a studio, you must book online the instant the booking window opens. The other resorts fill up almost as quickly during F&W. If you want to stay almost anywhere on Disney World property during early December (the busiest time for DVC because room rates are the cheapest and the holiday decorations are up), you need to book 11 months out, and again, competition for studios is intense, 1BRs are easier to book. On the other hand, if go in early May, you can book just about anywhere 7 months out.

Again, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Check out the DISboards' DVC sub-boards, DVCNews, DVCInfo, etc. Good luck with your decision!
decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

SuperSaver wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:16 am
My Questions are:
Resale. Note that there are new booking restrictions for resale. If you buy one of the original 14 resorts (currently all except Riviera) you can only book at the original 14 resorts. If you buy Riviera resale, you can only book at Riviera

Look at which resort / time of year / room you want and base it off of that

Maybe, If you know when the recession is going to happen.

keep in mind the annual dues make up the majority of the cost. But less than $120 pp you're looking at Animal Kingdom, Saratoga springs, Boulder Ridge, Hilton Head, Vero Beach, Aulani I think. And Old Key West. The "cheapest" Disney World points would be Saratoga Springs due to low buy in and low maintenance fees, however whether you consider that a "value" depends on how you feel about SSR.

nothing really, we pretty much got what we paid for

no

11 month window is typically open except Animal Kingdom Value and Club levels (at any time), studios at very popular DVC times (December for example). 7 month window it depends. I wouldn't bank on 7 months, buy the resort you want to stay in

not nicer, just bigger but no daily housekeeping

depends heavily on the individual. Bay Lake Tower would be my answer probably

decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

DarthSage wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:50 am. Anyone who tells you that they're making money on it overall is likely lying (I have yet to see the numbers make sense). That said, if you have a vacation budget, and this is a destination of choice, you could get reasonable value from it.
If you purchased DVC, rented out the points, and then sold the contract today, you would have certainly made money. Whether that continues to be the case of course is questionable.

For example, for a more extreme example, Grand Californian (at Disneyland) was selling at about $90 per point resale 2013. 6 years later in 2019 it is selling at $190 per point. You can rent out points for about $15 per point. So if you bought 100 points for $9000 in 2013, then got say $1000 per year x 6 years after taxes renting out the points, then sold today for $19000, you would have made $13k profit on your $9k principal over 6 years. (Edit: forgot about $3k in dues).

Of course, DVC is clearly not an investment and I would never recommend it as such, but anyone who has purchased DVC more than 5 years ago could easily have made money on it, I don't think they are lying. But really the only reason to buy DVC is because you want to vacation there.
DarthSage

Post by DarthSage »

decapod10 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:17 pm
DarthSage wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:50 am. Anyone who tells you that they're making money on it overall is likely lying (I have yet to see the numbers make sense). That said, if you have a vacation budget, and this is a destination of choice, you could get reasonable value from it.
If you purchased DVC, rented out the points, and then sold the contract today, you would have certainly made money. Whether that continues to be the case of course is questionable.

For example, for a more extreme example, Grand Californian (at Disneyland) was selling at about $90 per point resale 2013. 6 years later in 2019 it is selling at $190 per point. You can rent out points for about $15 per point. So if you bought 100 points for $9000 in 2013, then got say $1000 per year x 6 years after taxes renting out the points, then sold today for $19000, you would have made $13k profit on your $9k principal over 6 years. (Edit: forgot about $3k in dues).

Of course, DVC is clearly not an investment and I would never recommend it as such, but anyone who has purchased DVC more than 5 years ago could easily have made money on it, I don't think they are lying. But really the only reason to buy DVC is because you want to vacation there.
I get what you're saying about the rental market (which is thriving, BTW), but I meant as an actual vacation destination--not a whole lot of savings there, versus other lodging choices. And even with that, you're kind of stuck on ticket costs, transportation costs (depending on where you live), food costs within the parks, etc. Even with people saying they're paying maintenance costs of $1500-2k--you could rent a nice condo or house in Orlando for a week at that price.

We had purchased Beach Club on the resale market, and then Bay Lake Towers when it first came on the market. We had a few vacations, then sold. I don't regret buying, don't regret selling. I was unaware of the current resale restrictions--I haven't kept up.

The other thing I'm mildly curious about is the end date--all DVC contracts eventually revert to Disney at some point (again, I haven't kept up, there were specific dates, and I remember being able to buy more years on certain Old Key West contracts). I had thought the contract value would fall as the end date approached--I have no idea if that's actually happening.
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

What about maintenance fees?
decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

DarthSage wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:48 pm

I get what you're saying about the rental market (which is thriving, BTW), but I meant as an actual vacation destination--not a whole lot of savings there, versus other lodging choices. And even with that, you're kind of stuck on ticket costs, transportation costs (depending on where you live), food costs within the parks, etc. Even with people saying they're paying maintenance costs of $1500-2k--you could rent a nice condo or house in Orlando for a week at that price.

We had purchased Beach Club on the resale market, and then Bay Lake Towers when it first came on the market. We had a few vacations, then sold. I don't regret buying, don't regret selling. I was unaware of the current resale restrictions--I haven't kept up.

The other thing I'm mildly curious about is the end date--all DVC contracts eventually revert to Disney at some point (again, I haven't kept up, there were specific dates, and I remember being able to buy more years on certain Old Key West contracts). I had thought the contract value would fall as the end date approached--I have no idea if that's actually happening.
Right, usually you end up spending more because you end up going there more frequently. And certainly you don't save any money vs offsite hotels.

The only time it really makes financial sense is if you really want to stay onsite, and you would be going every year or every other year anyway (or you would be happy to do so). There are people who pay cash to stay at Contemporary every year. Those are the people that really save through DVC.

The resale restrictions only apply for people who purchased this year. Anyone who purchased prior still is grandfathered in, so they can stay at any future resort including Riviera.

The contract values have not yet started decreasing. The first contracts will expire 2042, includes Beach Club and Boardwalk, but they keep going up and up and up. They have to go down eventually, it's not clear when that will happen. Probably when Disney is no longer able to keep pushing up their hotel prices at these breakneck speeds
playtothebeat

Post by playtothebeat »

I would just book through Dvcrequest.com. I’ve done it a few times for Aulani and had an excellent experience.
You can book on a much shorter notice.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

I did a fair amount of research into the DVC program last year. My conclusion was that if you were going to Disney at least every couple of years and planned to continue doing so for quite a while, at least ten years, then it's probably somewhat less costly to do so via the DVC if you bought your points on the secondary market. If you're buying them direct from Disney, it seems difficult to financially justify it.

So there is some potential for significant savings. But there are numerous tradeoffs.

1. Once you book a trip (realistically at least 7 months out and possibly 11), you're locked in and can't really change your plans.
2. You're on the hook for paying whatever maintenance fees Disney charges you.
3. Due to the limited lifespan of the contract, the value of your contract on the secondary market is likely going down over time.
4. You're 'locked in' to either going to Disney or renting your points out.
5. There may be a significant opportunity cost involved with the funds needed to buy the contract.

When we visited DW earlier this year, we rented DVC points via one of the two big rental sites to stay at the Polynesian. We LOVED it. Our room was significantly larger than the standard hotel rooms, and the cost was about half of what it would have been had we booked through Disney. With this resource being available, we would never consider buying a DVC contract.
Last edited by willthrill81 on Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (how we spend our money).

Moderator Misenplace
decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

playtothebeat wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:02 pm I would just book through Dvcrequest.com. I’ve done it a few times for Aulani and had an excellent experience.
You can book on a much shorter notice.
It may be difficult if you are picky about when/where you want to stay, or if you need a large amount of points. Also, you don't have control over the reservation. Occasionally your trip can get cancelled because the owner doesn't pay their dues.

Otherwise, renting is a good option if you don't want to be locked in long term. It's good for the summer time because that's actually the "low" season for DVC (high season is Sept-Dec).
willthrill81 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:05 pm I did a fair amount of research into the DVC program last year. My conclusion was that if you were going to Disney at least every couple of years and planned to continue doing so for quite a while, at least ten years, then it's probably somewhat less costly to do so via the DVC if you bought your points on the secondary market. If you're buying them direct from Disney, it seems difficult to financially justify it.

So there is some potential for significant savings. But there are numerous tradeoffs.

1. Once you book a trip (realistically at least 7 months out and possibly 11), you're locked in and can't really change your plans.
2. You're on the hook for paying whatever maintenance fees Disney charges you.
3. Due to the limited lifespan of the contract, the value of your contract on the secondary market is likely going down over time.
4. You're 'locked in' to either going to Disney or renting your points out.
5. There may be a significant opportunity cost involved with the funds needed to buy the contract.

When we visited DW earlier this year, we rented DVC points via one of the two big rental sites to stay at the Polynesian. We LOVED it. Our room was significantly larger than the standard hotel rooms, and the cost was about half of what it would have been had he booked through Disney. With this resource being available, we would never consider buying a DVC contract.
Yes, I think the biggest risk to buying is that you don't want to go anymore, although you get lucky (like if you bought 5 years ago) and sell when the prices have gone up, then you've actually gotten quite a discount, but you can't count on that.

We have 2 contracts, one we purchased 3-4 years ago. The resale price has increased by $50-60 per point. If we were to sell now, we've basically gotten those hotel stays for free. $6 per point dues x 4 years is $24 per point we've paid in dues. But as you said, eventually the value will become $0.

When a purchased a few years back, I compared DVC vs cash prices through Disney for the same room with a 20% discount. I applied about a 3% annual increase to cash prices (I looked them up through the Disney website, though it's hard to always find cash DVC availability) and annual dues. Also assume no residual value of the contract. With those assumptions, break even was around 7 years I think. Break even Vs. renting I think it was 13 years, something like that.

I don't know how the numbers look now though.

We like to plan vacations far in advance, so it has worked fine for us.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

decapod10 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:43 pm When a purchased a few years back, I compared DVC vs cash prices through Disney for the same room with a 20% discount. I applied about a 3% annual increase to cash prices (I looked them up through the Disney website, though it's hard to always find cash DVC availability) and annual dues. Also assume no residual value of the contract. With those assumptions, break even was around 7 years I think. Break even Vs. renting I think it was 13 years, something like that.

Out of curiosity, I ran the numbers last year to see what the ROI would be for someone to buy a DVC contract at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, since it was the least costly on the secondary market, pay the current maintenance fees, and then rent out all of their points at the current market prices on the major rental sites. It worked out to about a 5% ROI. For the risks involved, that doesn't seem worth it to me, but I can see someone would find it worthwhile if they plan on going to Disney regularly anyway for at least a decade.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

willthrill81 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:51 pm
decapod10 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:43 pm When a purchased a few years back, I compared DVC vs cash prices through Disney for the same room with a 20% discount. I applied about a 3% annual increase to cash prices (I looked them up through the Disney website, though it's hard to always find cash DVC availability) and annual dues. Also assume no residual value of the contract. With those assumptions, break even was around 7 years I think. Break even Vs. renting I think it was 13 years, something like that.

Out of curiosity, I ran the numbers last year to see what the ROI would be for someone to buy a DVC contract at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, since it was the least costly on the secondary market, pay the current maintenance fees, and then rent out all of their points at the current market prices on the major rental sites. It worked out to about a 5% ROI. For the risks involved, that doesn't seem worth it to me, but I can see someone would find it worthwhile if they plan on going to Disney regularly anyway for at least a decade.
AKV is a bit deceptive because it has the highest annual dues in all of Disney World (except maybe Riviera I think). It's actually more expensive than many other "more expensive" resorts over the life of contract. Purely from an investment standpoint, you would want to buy SSR. If you ran the numbers with Saratoga Springs, you would get a higher ROI. Similar rental prices, but lower buy in and annual dues.

Savings are much higher if you are actually using the points vs paying to stay there. If you are actually comparing owning Bay Lake Tower vs paying cash there or Contemporary, you are saving much more than 5%, though all sorts of caveats apply as previously discussed.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

decapod10 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:06 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:51 pm

AKV is a bit deceptive because it has the highest annual dues in all of Disney World (except maybe Riviera I think). It's actually more expensive than many other "more expensive" resorts over the life of contract. Purely from an investment standpoint, you would want to buy SSR. If you ran the numbers with Saratoga Springs, you would get a higher ROI. Similar rental prices, but lower buy in and annual dues.

Savings are much higher if you are actually using the points vs paying to stay there. If you are actually comparing owning Bay Lake Tower vs paying cash there or Contemporary, you are saving much more than 5%, though all sorts of caveats apply as previously discussed.
Ah, I didn't notice that the maintenance fees relative to the purchase price of the points varied so much from one resort to the next. That certainly would impact the ROI.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

My starting framework:

My Questions are:

I looked at this a few years ago and thought it was not a great return as we did not frequent as much.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

There I was, wondering what mutual fund had DVC as the emblem.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:30 pm

My starting framework:

My Questions are:

I looked at this a few years ago and thought it was not a great return as we did not frequent as much.
We also looked at this a dozen or more years back and really wanted to have a DVC make sense for us. No matter how we tried it was better to just plan trips and buy the points if/when it made sense for us at the time. We have visited Disneyworld maybe 20 times now since around 1995 and stay at various places which has become part of the trips new experiences. It may make sense for others with varied goals...
decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

smitcat wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:06 am

My starting framework:

My Questions are:

We also looked at this a dozen or more years back and really wanted to have a DVC make sense for us. No matter how we tried it was better to just plan trips and buy the points if/when it made sense for us at the time. We have visited Disneyworld maybe 20 times now since around 1995 and stay at various places which has become part of the trips new experiences. It may make sense for others with varied goals...
Yeah, its mainly good for people who "must" stay on Disney World property, in particular their "deluxe resorts". If you compare DVC to Airbnb, or random Orlando Marriott, then DVC will lose.

With your travel pattern, if you had stayed at places like Contemporary or Polynesian, then DVC would have saved you a lot of money, especially knowing what we know now (that Disney pushed up the prices of their hotel rooms hard and DVC resale values have increased significantly). But it really requires a very specific person to benefit from DVC.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

decapod10 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:07 am

My starting framework:

My Questions are:

Yeah, its mainly good for people who "must" stay on Disney World property, in particular their "deluxe resorts". If you compare DVC to Airbnb, or random Orlando Marriott, then DVC will lose.

With your travel pattern, if you had stayed at places like Contemporary or Polynesian, then DVC would have saved you a lot of money, especially knowing what we know now (that Disney pushed up the prices of their hotel rooms hard and DVC resale values have increased significantly). But it really requires a very specific person to benefit from DVC.
Really are not able to make plans 8-10 months or more ahead of the trip - usually less than half that time.
We have been able to get great deals at the Boardwalk, Swan, Dolphin in addition to the Polynesian.
Besides the real close hotels we also have been at a few others like Port Orleans, and a number in the Disney Springs area. On the whole we spend very little time at the hotels in general.
decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

smitcat wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:53 am

My starting framework:

My Questions are:

Really are not able to make plans 8-10 months or more ahead of the trip - usually less than half that time.
We have been able to get great deals at the Boardwalk, Swan, Dolphin in addition to the Polynesian.
Besides the real close hotels we also have been at a few others like Port Orleans, and a number in the Disney Springs area. On the whole we spend very little time at the hotels in general.
You probably made the right decision if you tend to stay in the Swan and Port Orleans and those types of hotels. On paper, DVC doesn't really make sense based on that.

Just in hindsight, DVC turned out to be a steal, but no one could have known that they would basically be getting free hotel rooms if they purchased in 2012 and sold in 2019. I'm really surprised myself how fast the DVC prices rose. I can't imagine that it will continue to do that, but it keeps surprising me every year. I'm looking at the resale prices from 2012 (which is the oldest data I could find), Bay Lake Tower was selling for $85 per point. Now in 2019 they are selling for $145. I've never heard of a timeshare acting like that.

If you add up the annual dues for 2012-2019 (8 years inclusive) , it totals to $41.76 per point . That means for someone who purchased BLT in 2012 for $85 per point and sold in 2019 for $145 per point, they got 8 years worth of hotel stays for free plus they made about $19 per point in profit .

Resale data 2012-13
https://www.disboards.com/threads/anyon ... v.3001288/

Data 2019

https://www.disboards.com/threads/rofr- ... l.3757557/

I'm not sure if it can continue like that. They're getting hit pretty hard with property taxes increases lately, so it seems like the annual dues are going up faster than before, and the expectation is that annual dues will increase a lot next year due to company wide wage increases.
2cents2

Re: Any Happy DVC owners here? [Disney Vacation Club]

Post by 2cents2 »

We are happy DVC owners. But, (WARNING!) the DVC that we bought into is not the same DVC that is being sold today.

We first purchased our DVC in 2002. We paid quite a bit less than what the buy in is today. Yes, we could sell some of our DVC points for quite a bit more than our original purchase price--especially the Grand Californian. I don't know if that is going to be true in the future especially with the new Disney Riviera property.

Here is the problem. Disney has put restrictions on resale property in order to encourage direct purchases from Disney. The restrictions placed on original contracts that we purchased are not as onerous as the new resale restrictions for the new property (Riviera) they are selling. I think these new restrictions are going to really hurt folks who want to sell their Riviera points. Now, you may have Pixie Dust in your eyes right now and you might not be thinking about selling, but it is a good idea to have an exit strategy.

Here is a link to the Dis Board which goes into a lot of detail about DVC.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-d ... 9.3655476/
Last edited by 2cents2 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

decapod10 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:39 pm

You probably made the right decision if you tend to stay in the Swan and Port Orleans and those types of hotels. On paper, DVC doesn't really make sense based on that.

Just in hindsight, DVC turned out to be a steal, but no one could have known that they would basically be getting free hotel rooms if they purchased in 2012 and sold in 2019. I'm really surprised myself how fast the DVC prices rose. I can't imagine that it will continue to do that, but it keeps surprising me every year. I'm looking at the resale prices from 2012 (which is the oldest data I could find), Bay Lake Tower was selling for $85 per point. Now in 2019 they are selling for $145. I've never heard of a timeshare acting like that.

If you add up the annual dues for 2012-2019 (8 years inclusive) , it totals to $41.76 per point . That means for someone who purchased BLT in 2012 for $85 per point and sold in 2019 for $145 per point, they got 8 years worth of hotel stays for free plus they made about $19 per point in profit .

Resale data 2012-13

Data 2019

I'm not sure if it can continue like that. They're getting hit pretty hard with property taxes increases lately, so it seems like the annual dues are going up faster than before, and the expectation is that annual dues will increase a lot next year due to company wide wage increases.
"If you add up the annual dues for 2012-2019 (8 years inclusive) , it totals to $41.76 per point . That means for someone who purchased BLT in 2012 for $85 per point and sold in 2019 for $145 per point, they got 8 years worth of hotel stays for free plus they made about $19 per point in profit ."

Maybe this works out great if someone buys in 2012 and sells in 2019 , similar to if they placed funds in a stock fund in 2012 and then looked at what it is worth now. We did buy two dozen 10 day full use non expiration Disneyworld passes back when they were about $40 per day.
The problems are we just never book that far in advance, we want to be able to move around and over the years kids and parents want to do varied things that do not always include the venues that DVC include.
I think it works well if you want to go to Disney, want to go to the parks, can plan almost a year out and want to do this for many many years.
I am not so sure the OP fits into any of these categories so my best guess is that this is not really a fit for the OP.
2cents2

Post by 2cents2 »

My Questions are:
Just to address some of the specific questions.
1. We bought direct back in 2002, but I would NOT buy direct today. (And, I would not buy Riviera resale.) You don't get that much of a benefit for the price differential. And, some things (like using your DVC points for a cruise) are a terrible (expensive) use of points.
2. How many points depends on how often you plan to go and how large of a unit you plan to use.
3. I can't answer this one.
4. You can look on the Dis board and find out how much other folks are paying for contracts (they keep a running post on this topic).
https://disboards.com/threads/rofr-thre ... l.3757557/
5. We took several years to research, so we were pretty familiar with the program before we purchased.
6. I don't have any regrets.
7. You can go on the Dis Board and find out how difficult each booking category is to book. Some of the room categories take some finesse to book even at 11 months. 7 months can be a real challenge depending on the season.
https://disboards.com/threads/predicted ... e.3689931/
8. We love the 1 BR villa, but we rarely book it because it costs so many more points than a studio. We generally book studios (or occasionally a 2BR if more folks are coming)
9. I think Boardwalk, Bay Lake Towers and Grand Californian are great with balancing value with location. But, Grand Californian wouldn't be my first choice if I only wanted to go to Disney World.
If you add "partially" to the pre-paid vacation it would be more correct. The buy in will be the least expensive part of your ownership. The maintenance fees that you pay each year will constitute a much larger part of your ownership as time goes on.
researcher

Post by researcher »

Where else can I put these funds to generate the same utility to increase family time?
You seem borderline obsessed with the idea of purchasing this and have succumbed to your own hard sell timeshare presentation.

I just wanted to chime in on the odd idea that putting the funds into a savings account "will not provide us any extra fulfillment" or "generate the same utility to increase family time."

Why can't you just keep the money in savings and use it to pay for annual family vacations to provide fulfillment?
You would only gain fulfillment by dumping all of your money upfront into a timeshare?
You can use the estate money in savings to take any vacation you want, including Disney trips.
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

Prepaying for a vacation never made any sense to me. You can find plenty of amazing (other peoples) timeshares to stay on or near Disney for a fraction of the cost and no long term commitments.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

I would just rent someone else’s timeshare each year. Likely will save you a lot of $$$, and no long term commitment.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

finite_difference wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:47 am I would just rent someone else’s timeshare each year. Likely will save you a lot of $$$, and no long term commitment.
smitcat wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:37 am
decapod10 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:39 pm
smitcat wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:06 am We also looked at this a dozen or more years back and really wanted to have a DVC make sense for us. No matter how we tried it was better to just plan trips and buy the points if/when it made sense for us at the time. We have visited Disneyworld maybe 20 times now since around 1995 and stay at various places which has become part of the trips new experiences. It may make sense for others with varied goals...

Resale data 2012-13

Data 2019

"If you add up the annual dues for 2012-2019 (8 years inclusive) , it totals to $41.76 per point . That means for someone who purchased BLT in 2012 for $85 per point and sold in 2019 for $145 per point, they got 8 years worth of hotel stays for free plus they made about $19 per point in profit ."

Maybe this works out great if someone buys in 2012 and sells in 2019 , similar to if they placed funds in a stock fund in 2012 and then looked at what it is worth now. We did buy two dozen 10 day full use non expiration Disneyworld passes back when they were about $40 per day.
The problems are we just never book that far in advance, we want to be able to move around and over the years kids and parents want to do varied things that do not always include the venues that DVC include.
I think it works well if you want to go to Disney, want to go to the parks, can plan almost a year out and want to do this for many many years.
I am not so sure the OP fits into any of these categories so my best guess is that this is not really a fit for the OP.
Yes, it's not really clear how well it fits for OP. I do think a lot of people buy into DVC who really shouldn't be. It's easy to sucked into it, especially when you actually on vacation there. 50 years is a long time, it's a big commitment.
Chip Munk

Post by Chip Munk »

decapod10 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:39 pm Yes, it's not really clear how well it fits for OP. I do think a lot of people buy into DVC who really shouldn't be. It's easy to sucked into it, especially when you actually on vacation there. 50 years is a long time, it's a big commitment.
Just to clarify since this is frequently a point of confusion for potential buyers, the contract end date is fixed at the time the resort is built. Starting with Saratoga Springs, buyers of new resorts can get (nearly) 50 years of ownership only if they buy a new resort in the first year it is offered for sale. For example, if you buy 3 years after sales begin, you would get 47 years of ownership.

The resorts built after Old Key West and before Saratoga (Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club Villas, etc.) inherited Old Key West's original end date of Jan 31, 2042, so even the very first buyers of those resorts did not get 50 years. Beach Club Villas was the last resort built with the Jan 2042 end date. It opened in 2002, so the earliest buyers there will get at most 40 years. It's amazing how resale prices continue to rise for the early resorts. If someone bought a contract at Old Key West (non-extended), Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Boardwalk, Boulder Ridge (formerly Villas at Wilderness Lodge), or Beach Club today, whether directly from Disney or on the resale market, the contract would end on Jan 31, 2042, approximately 22 years and 5 months from now.
Last edited by Chip Munk on Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

RootSki wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:39 am Prepaying for a vacation never made any sense to me. You can find plenty of amazing (other peoples) timeshares to stay on or near Disney for a fraction of the cost and no long term commitments.
+1. I couldn't imagine going to the same exact place for vacation every single year, even more so if it was Disney-related. The hold that company has on the hearts and the wallets of a large swath of the population (including my own wife) is bizarre to me.
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

SuperSaver wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:16 am
"Re: Any Happy DVC owners here?"

"It's not a timeshare!"
I'm seeing red flags. Sounds like you are emotionally attached to this purchase and are looking for confirmation rather than an objective assessment. If you weren't, you'd have asked for opinions from all DVC owners, not just happy ones and you wouldn't have re-pitched the disingenuous "not a timeshare" line.

I'm not a DVC owner. My wife and I considered it on a trip there when our children were very young. I haven't gone back to see how the economics would have worked out. Our trips to Disney steadily tapered off as the kids grew and ended when they hit middle school. Too many other things to see and do.

If I were you, I'd first put together a realistic assessment of how often you think you'll go to Disney. Then I'd price out what the cost would be with and without the DVC membership (fully burdened by maintenance fees and lost capital growth). I would compare that with renting points and with skipping the DVC experience. If the answer comes out to anything other than overwhelming in favor of DVC, I'd pass on it. Almost no purchase that we are excited about, DVC included, lives up to what you'd hoped, so you need to discount it. Based on the way you presented this, I suggest that you heavily discount it.
decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:45 am
RootSki wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:39 am Prepaying for a vacation never made any sense to me. You can find plenty of amazing (other peoples) timeshares to stay on or near Disney for a fraction of the cost and no long term commitments.
+1. I couldn't imagine going to the same exact place for vacation every single year, even more so if it was Disney-related. The hold that company has on the hearts and the wallets of a large swath of the population (including my own wife) is bizarre to me.
Yeah, it's a bit strange even coming from a DVC owner. I think it's some combination of:

1. Nostalgia - Disney has figured out how to dominate among young children, so even when you are older there is something about the place that remains pleasant.

2. Separation from the real world - They call it the "Disney Bubble"

3. Fun - subjective of course, but people who love to go there must be enjoying it.

4. Packaged experiences - I think this is a very polarizing trait. many people hate Disney and other amusement parks for this exact reason. I will say in my current situation I don't mind it.

For me personally, we're fortunate enough to have a pretty flexible vacation schedule, so we can take several vacations year. Mixing Disneyland or Disney World once per year isn't bad, and there's another family we go with (who are also DVC members) which makes it nice to catch up with them. I don't think we would have purchased if we didn't have kids, but lots of people do. Also if I only could take 1 vacation per year, I think it's unlikely I'd want to only go to Disney every year. But we've owned for 4-5 years now and I still look forward to going, though you never know when it could change.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

decapod10 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:21 am
Yeah, it's a bit strange even coming from a DVC owner. I think it's some combination of:

1. Nostalgia - Disney has figured out how to dominate among young children, so even when you are older there is something about the place that remains pleasant.

3. Fun - subjective of course, but people who love to go there must be enjoying it.

4. Packaged experiences - I think this is a very polarizing trait. many people hate Disney and other amusement parks for this exact reason. I will say in my current situation I don't mind it.

For me personally, we're fortunate enough to have a pretty flexible vacation schedule, so we can take several vacations year. Mixing Disneyland or Disney World once per year isn't bad, and there's another family we go with (who are also DVC members) which makes it nice to catch up with them. I don't think we would have purchased if we didn't have kids, but lots of people do. Also if I only could take 1 vacation per year, I think it's unlikely I'd want to only go to Disney every year. But we've owned for 4-5 years now and I still look forward to going, though you never know when it could change.
Disneyworld has all kinds of events and attractions that draw us back a number of times - unlike any other location we have been at.
That said as kids got older we also have fun at Universal which is both cheaper and more fun for the older kids.
Then of course theme parks like these compete with everything else we do so its always a tradeoff.
decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

smitcat wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:50 am
decapod10 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:21 am

Disneyworld has all kinds of events and attractions that draw us back a number of times - unlike any other location we have been at.
That said as kids got older we also have fun at Universal which is both cheaper and more fun for the older kids.
Then of course theme parks like these compete with everything else we do so its always a tradeoff.
Right. Disney World is really unique in a lot of ways. I mean Chicago, New York , San Francisco, LA are all nice places to visit, but big cities within the US aren't that different IMO. National parks would be nice, but our kids now don't quite have the stamina yet to make it enjoyable I think. We live near a state park, but the little one gets too tired after 30-60 minutes of hiking.

And seeing my kids at Disneyland or Disney World is really something special, for my kids anyway it's hard to get the same reaction from them at any other place.

International travel gets more interesting, but it's got it's drawbacks as well. I'm not sure how much the kids really appreciate the history and culture of some of these places, so for now we are saving some of those trips until they get older, and I'm perfectly fine with taking them to Disney once per year.
Chip Munk

Post by Chip Munk »

decapod10 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:21 am Yeah, it's a bit strange even coming from a DVC owner. I think it's some combination of:

For us, it is also:

* The theming at the resorts - We feel we've been transported to another place or another era. As animal lovers, our stays at the Villas at Animal Kingdom Lodge, watching giraffes, zebras and wildebeest wandering around the grounds near our balcony still amazes me, even after multiple stays there. The architecture and decor of the main lobby is out of the ordinary and beautiful. The same is true of many of the other resorts. I find this "immersion" helps us to transition quickly from lingering thoughts about work and stuff going on at home into vacation mode.

* Not having to drive on vacation - DH appreciates not having to drive anywhere if he doesn't want to. We can walk to/take Disney transportation to most of what we want to do. We can have groceries delivered to the resort. We can both have wine at dinner since nobody is driving afterwards. When staying at a resort where we can walk to, or take a boat to, one or two parks, we might go for two days without ever seeing any roads, cars, parking lots, traffic, etc. Just having so much within walking distance is a perk for us since we live in a rural area with no sidewalks and nothing within walking distance.

We don't have kids and were in our early 50s when we bought our first contract. We both had traveled a lot by that time in our lives so we don't feel we are missing out by visiting Disney World nearly every year.
Topic Author
SuperSaver

Post by SuperSaver »

THANK ALL FOR EVERYONE'S REPLIES.

we probably will pass on this. Here are my reasons after careful research and discussion with Family

1) We don't want to plan vacations 11 months out. And being locked into the date
2) The option for 7 month planning at other resorts is increasingly difficult
3) We don't want to be tied to one "home resort". We enjoy the variety of different theming
4) We Enjoy Daily HOUSEKEEPING!!! Afterall, it's a vacation
5) We do not need a kitchen (Don't want to cook on vacation), and won't need Villas
6) My employer essentially will pay us to stay in same DELUXE hotels, every 2-3 years for Cont'ing Education
7) Would preclude us from easily exploring on-site Universal Studios properties
8) New restrictions and exhorbitantly high costs now compared to even 2-3 years ago
9) Don't want to be locked into Disney sphere
10) Benefit of keeping cash liquid vs. the $15-25k downpayment
11) Our budget would afford us about 4-5 days per year. With increasing costs, this likely would diminish.
12) My wife grew up in Central Florida, and is Over-Disney
13) We both enjoy flexibility of planning last minute (6-8 weeks out in DVC terms). Much easier to book hotel on expedia, etc
14) All family members not on board 100%

To Clarify some of the original posts:
1) DVC appeared to be a great purchase for those lucky enough to buy earlier. Those lucky few are enjoying $500-600 resorts for a fraction of the costs now
2) For those uneducated, there are contracts that expire in about 20 years (not 50).
3) We would NOT be going every year, but every 3-4 years
4) Choosing a DISNEY vacation is NOT an either/or decision for many people. We have gone to National Parks, DC museums, NYC, Chicago, etc. in addition to WDW. We would intend to still visit Orlando and London/Paris in future when kids get older
5) There is no other timeshare out there that compares to DVC for those that have researched this. The locations have unbeatable, prime locations that no competitor can match. Plus, depending on your original purchase price, there is a robust resale market. Plus, the Disney Right of First Refusal provides a floor that prices can not bottom out
6) After recent trips to Orlando, and seeing the horde of young crowds, there is a bottomless multi-generational pool of future customers
7) My original post "It's Not A timeshare" was a tongue-in-cheek reference to every DVC-owner who has defended their purchase in the past.
8) If prices by chance do fall at next recession (25-35%), this may be a buying opportunity. But likely will pass