What, besides dishes, do you run through your dishwasher?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
aednichols

Re: What, besides dishes, do you run through your dishwasher?

Post by aednichols » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:05 am

I have used my dishwasher to do a quick and amazingly thorough scouring of very dirty glass light fixtures.

I've also used it to to strip paint off of a different style of light fixture; it was flaking off and looked bad, and the dishwasher took it all the way off in one cycle.

Finally, I once accidentally started it with our kitchen mouse inside. He did not make it, and it was quite a surprise to find him.

josehde

Post by josehde » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:11 am

I saw a video of a girl cooking salmon inside her dishwasher. you might wanna try that if you're experimenting. :D

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:26 am

miamivice wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:54 am
Recently we got a new dishwasher. Since we paid a good penny on a upper end model, I decided I should learn how to use it. Since then I've found that a dishwasher is a versatile kitchen appliance good for more than dishes.

My favorite discovery was that I can take the grill from the barbeque as well as the tents that cover the flames, and run these through the machine. We run them on the pots and pans cycle and they come out very clean. We've used our barbeque about 6-10 times this summer, running the parts through the dishwasher after each use, and it's great. (At the end of the summer, I'll need to go in and clean the bottom of the grill where the grease accumulates, but that is a once a season activity, not a every use activity.)

Wife started running pots and pans through the dishwasher. I was convinced that would never work. Then one day we put a pan that she used to cook scrambled eggs on it. Probably had 3/16" of cooked eggs on the bottom. Ran it through and it was clean as a whistle when done. Just amazing.

We've had similiar good success with camping pots and pans. Just bring them home dirty and run them through the dishwasher after the camping trip.

What else can we run through our dishwasher?
Glasses, silverware, pots and pans without Teflon or special coatings, water pitcher and components, microwave oven rack, old cookie sheets I don’t really care about, sponges, mixer “beaters,” and more.
Never anything wood or non stick coated.

I would never put anything non food related or containing bird feces in a dishwasher. The water sits in the sump and solid junk accumulates there too. Be sure to clean this out from time to time.

mancich

Post by mancich » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:48 am

I put my safety glasses in there on the top rack after an afternoon of yard work in the hot sun. We've also put the floor vent covers in there (top rack) once per year in Spring; gets them nice and clean before it is time to start using the A/C. Finally, our LG gas stove has dishwasher-safe grates, and we throw those in there occasionally.

donfairplay

Post by donfairplay » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:53 am

The bowling ball mentioned is brilliant. The engine block mentioned seems a bit risky, but I'm curious.

I've run new'ish 3 or 4 year-old T-Fal non-stick pans and non-stick jumbo cookers in the dishwasher with the sanitizing rinse and heated dry activated, except for light washings that can be washed with a paper towel. The non-stick seems to be fine, I don't use metal utensils on them. It says dishwasher safe... but I fully expect to replace them eventually. I don't run my non-stick pot that I use exclusively for oatmeal through the dishwasher.

I think my rubbermaid containers are dying an early death from the sanitizing rinse and heated dry; visible spider cracks, some just plain cracks. They are more than seven years old though.

I do wash my stainless steel pots with Bar Keeper's Friend liquid before putting them in the dishwasher, though.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:05 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:33 pm
Carburetor for a Husqvarna 435 chainsaw
did it get it ungunked? I need to clean/repair the carburetor on mine.

A440

Post by A440 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:20 am

FWIW...
From https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/burnin ... 29935.html
"Most Weber products are dishwasher safe, however, we do not recommend throwing it in there right away! Items such as the Weber spatula, rib rack and vegetable basket are dishwasher safe but before washing anything in the dishwasher, hand wash your Weber accessory with warm water and non-citrus based soap. These items can have pieces of cooked on grease and food that could clog the plumbing of your dishwasher. A quick prewash will prevent your dishwasher from getting clogged!

Items such as your cooking grates, Flavorizer® bars and Gourment BBQ System inserts should never be washed in the dishwasher as the hot steam could cause damage and ruin these items. With the exception of the pizza stone, always hand wash these items non-citrus based soap and warm water. The pizza stone should be scraped clean and rinsed with water, do not use any soap when cleaning the pizza stone."
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:02 am

criticalmass wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:26 am
I would never put anything non food related or containing bird feces in a dishwasher. The water sits in the sump and solid junk accumulates there too. Be sure to clean this out from time to time.
It is also just gross. After washing and rinsing that sort of stuff, engine parts, dirty shoes, etc., I would not assume there there is absolutely no residual material left behind. I don't want any chance of having bird poop, engine gunk, bugs, household dirt, or whatever I may have stepped in to be potentially left behind, even if it is "sanitized". I also wouldn't wash that stuff in a kitchen sink, that's what a laundry tub is for.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:09 am

donfairplay wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:53 am
I think my rubbermaid containers are dying an early death from the sanitizing rinse and heated dry; visible spider cracks, some just plain cracks. They are more than seven years old though.
Sanitizing rinse is likely too hot (and probably also unnecessary). I once had the "brilliant" idea to just do a rinse of plastic water bottles that we reuse and figured "sanitize, why not?". They actually shrank due to the high temp :o .
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:16 am

I read this idea somewhere and tried it.

I've restored two pop-up toasters by running them through a dishwasher cycle. Both has stopped working (would not heat) and conventional cleaning had failed to restore them to operation. As both were destined to be junked, so nothing lost by trying this idea.

--Non-electronic toaster. Remove innards from housing. Place innards and housing in dishwasher, no-heat dry. Allow to air dry for a day afterwards.

--Electronic toaster. Remove mechanical innards from housing. Remove electronic module. Place mechanical innards and housing in dishwasher, no-heat dry. Allow to air dry for a day afterwards.

Both worked after being reassembled.

Assumed burnt-on crumbs was preventing mechanical switch contacts from making so they didn't heat.

Assumed water and abrasive dishwasher detergent was enough to dissolve burnt-on crumbs in switch.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

dcb

Post by dcb » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:58 am

Some time ago I put all my grown son's metal Tonka trucks in the dishwasher prior to selling them on eBay. Came out sparkling clean and sold at a premium.
dcb

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:17 am

josehde wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:11 am
I saw a video of a girl cooking salmon inside her dishwasher. you might wanna try that if you're experimenting. :D
sous vide - a bit of an energy waste unless running with the dishes; I guess as long as the container is sealed ...
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:42 pm

Colorado13 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:35 pm
pennstater2005 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:29 pm
My hat and shoes. My kids think I’m weird.
Sometimes the kids are right. :D What kind of shoes are you washing? I thought that heat was a shoe killer, so I'm curious if your approach works. I'm not willing to try it myself, but am curious...
It works good. Top rack only. Cleans them really well without really disturbing them. I just let them air dry after. Just try it :sharebeer
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:56 pm

gailwinters wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:50 pm
Golf balls.
I will NOT be telling DH about that!!!! :twisted:

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:22 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:10 am
buylowbuyhigh wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:07 am
You can also cook food in a dishwasher.
I saw a TV show where they cooked salmon in the dishwasher.
Vincent price did it years ago on Johnny Carson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxOdDsWwS8
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:42 pm

Turbo29 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:22 pm
adamthesmythe wrote:
buylowbuyhigh wrote:

Nice! Tell people it's sous-vide :D
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Teague

Post by Teague » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:25 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:42 pm
Turbo29 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:22 pm
adamthesmythe wrote:
buylowbuyhigh wrote:

Nice! Tell people it's sous-vide :D
Or maybe Salmón del lavavajillas?
Semper Augustus

WildBill

Post by WildBill » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:27 am

Howdy

Hard boiled eggs for egg salad.

Happy washing

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:49 pm

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:03 pm
Faith20879 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:53 am
Cutting boards. We use separate ones for meat and vegetables. Put both in to sanitize.
hopefully it's the plastic variety, which I also do. I was told not to put my wood cutting board in the dishwasher (it will crack/warp, etc).

Also to the people who put sponges in dishwashers, I hadn't heard that. I believe the microwave is the superior method and when asked the google whether to clean in microwave or dishwasher, the microwave came out the clear winner:

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... dishwasher

wait, nevermind. this ny times article says microwaving only gets rid of some germs but makes the problem worse. so forget I said anything:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/04/scie ... aning.html
There has been so much conflicting information on this sponge thing. I found this informative.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/20 ... hen-sponge

Bottom line, if you microwave your sponge periodically, put it in fully wet and as long as is safe (i do it 2 minutes, rinse it out, and do it again 2 minutes). It's a good idea to replace them fairly frequently (I don't do this as regularly as I should). Part of the problem is they stay wet all the time. It may not be a bad idea to Alternate a couple to let them dry out.

Mostly we use the sponge to pre clean the dishes and run them in the dishwasher anyway.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:40 pm

Computer keyboards. If you open a "modern" mass-produced keyboard, you will find a flexible thick membrane which has all the electrical parts . Remove it and throw the rest of the keyboard on the upper deck of a dish washer to clean it. Air dry only, not hot air by a heater. Make sure to dry the keyboard thoroughly before assemble back and use.

TheAlaskan

Post by TheAlaskan » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:47 pm

Hockey equipment...

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:53 pm

rich126 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:14 am
I'm guessing it is just me, but don't you have an issue with "cooking" food in place where another person just said they use to clean a hairbrush?

I guess the theory is that after each use, it is in a "clean" condition but still that isn't happening in my house.
If I'm running short on time, I rinse my fruits and vegetables while taking a shower. Quite efficient!

(h/t: Seinfeld)

gretah

Post by gretah » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:48 pm

I wash the holder that fits over my bathtub shower head and holds shampoo, etc, in the dishwasher.

With the heat dry button set to Off.

I also wash non-delicate glass candle holders in the dishwasher, heat dry set to On.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:26 pm

A handgun. I've always heard you can run a Glock through the dishwasher to clean it, so I decided to give it a try. Worked fine, although I prefer to do it by hand. But I had to try it!

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:46 am

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:03 pm
Faith20879 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:53 am
Cutting boards. We use separate ones for meat and vegetables. Put both in to sanitize.
hopefully it's the plastic variety, ...
Yes, indeed.

We quit using wood/bamboo boards awhile ago. They are more difficult to keep clean so we switched to plastic.

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:32 am

- Refrigerator shelving
- Stove-top grates and other parts
- Coffeemaker and Keurig parts (not the machines themselves....)
- Toothbrush holder
- Microwave plate

I don't put my grill parts in the dishwasher. I don't usually want those items to be squeaky clean. I just brush the grill grates a bit (not too much) before each use, and power wash the grates and flavorizer bars annually.

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:05 am

A “martial aid” :mrgreen:

Topic Author
miamivice

Post by miamivice » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:11 am

Casper wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:32 am
- Refrigerator shelving
This is genius. It takes a decent amount of time to clean by hand. Never thought of running through the dishwasher.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:56 pm

mrmass wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:05 am
A “martial aid” :mrgreen:
Fine, I'll take one for the team and ask... do you mean "marital" aid? If so, maybe that's TMI. :-) Otherwise, I don't know what a martial aid is and am afraid to Google it.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:59 pm

This has been interesting as we have only put dishes in the dishwasher.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

cashboy

Post by cashboy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:26 am

dog food and water bowls.

also, i run it empty with just a large soup bowl filled with vinegar once a month to keep it clean. dishwasher comes out amazingly clean.
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:45 am

livesoft wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:59 am
You will notice that some dishwasher detergent has fine sand particles in it. This abrasive is what helps clean things. It will also scratch glass and ceramics. That is, a dishwasher can do some sand-blasting under some circumstances.

Our dishwasher also serves as a drying rack for hand-washed dishes.
Same with us for a two person family. We do not have many dishes after each meal so we just hand-washed them and put them on the dishwasher to dry. If we accumulated too many un-washed dishes in a week or so, the dried dirty dishes may not be washed well with the dishwasher, nit mention the smell.
However, from time to time, we do use the dishwasher to wash the already washed dishes so to keep the dishwasher in workable status.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:55 am

cashboy wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:26 am

also, i run it empty with just a large soup bowl filled with vinegar once a month to keep it clean. dishwasher comes out amazingly clean.

:idea: Thanks for the idea. Now I have a use for my bottle of vinegar, other than reinfusing pepper sauce bottles.

I'm assuming the bowl is paced upright on the lower shelf, and all of the splashing water slowly mixes the vinegar into itself and so becomes part of the spray.

And any liquid left in the bowl after the process is just dumped out? Down the sink? Or into the dishwasher bottom to be consumed the next time the dishwasher runs?
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:02 am

I've ran absolutely nothing through my dishwasher for the last three months. I am remodeling the kitchen and it is currently sitting in my garage collecting dust. But reading this post makes me dream of the day I get a working dishwasher again and all the things I am going to run through it because I can.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:23 am

air filters for over-the-range vent hood

cashboy

Post by cashboy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:40 pm

dratkinson wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:55 am
cashboy wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:26 am

:idea: Thanks for the idea. Now I have a use for my bottle of vinegar, other than reinfusing pepper sauce bottles.

(1) I'm assuming the bowl is paced upright on the lower shelf, and all of the splashing water slowly mixes the vinegar into itself and so becomes part of the spray.

(2) And any liquid left in the bowl after the process is just dumped out? Down the sink? Or into the dishwasher bottom to be consumed the next time the dishwasher runs?
(1) yes

(2) I dump it into dishwasher (mostly water at that point) and place the bowl upside down on the top rack to be cleaned next time the dishwasher runs.
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)