Baby Gift Suggestions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PalmQueen

Baby Gift Suggestions

Post by PalmQueen » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:46 pm

Hello!
A friend of the family just welcomed their third baby boy into their family.
I'm really interested in any advice you all have for a gift to celebrate this happy news.

At this point, I expect they already have all the gear and lots of cute little boy outfits.
Anyone have a suggestion of something they received or gave that was a hit?

Thanks!

leeks

Re: Baby Gift Suggestions

Post by leeks » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:28 pm

And handwritten paper card and an offer of babysitting.
Take the older kids out for an adventure day (zoo, museum, beach, hiking, whatever) to give the parents time alone *together* with the newborn.

We only have two kids so far and most everything we received for our second seemed really unnecessary - we could tell people did it because they thought the gesture was important - but we really didn't need or want more stuff.

If you do go with tangible gifts, I always recommend consumables: food, crate of fruit, coffee, chocolate, wine, sticker books, consumable art supplies for the older kids, etc. Or delivery services like groceries or restaurant meals, etc. Or adult pampering stuff like massage or spa visits if they are the kind of people that do those things. Fancy expensive gifts if you aren't close by to help out could be a week or two of a postpartum doula service, in-home chef to cook a week's worth of food for the family, photographer for newborn photos with the family, etc.

If they happen to be homeowners with land and an interest in gardening, a special tree or shrub (like a fruit tree or rose bush) that you plant for them in honor of the new baby would be a sweet gesture.

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:58 am

It may be more than what you would like to spend----likely $100 or so for a "nice" one----however, we've always had good luck giving a sterling silver (solid, not plated) baby cup with the child's name engraved on it. It is something that won't just be thrown away, but rather, kept as a childhood keepsake. Just an idea to consider.....Good wishes!
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:32 am

A coupon for a family portrait. You might want to be sure with the photographer that it might not be used immediately in case they want to wait until the baby can sit up on its own.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:57 am

PalmQueen wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:46 pm
Hello!
A friend of the family just welcomed their third baby boy into their family.
I'm really interested in any advice you all have for a gift to celebrate this happy news.

At this point, I expect they already have all the gear and lots of cute little boy outfits.
Anyone have a suggestion of something they received or gave that was a hit?

Thanks!
Why don't you organize a Meal Train?

I particaped in one for a friend and neighbor when her newborn was in NICU.

UnLearnYourself

Post by UnLearnYourself » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:34 am

Contribution to a 529

Frank Grimes

Post by Frank Grimes » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:25 am

Unless they have a registry, they probably have most baby supplies they need including clothes especially if they had boys already.

What kind of diapers are they using - get a crate or two of those

Gifts of time is a good one - watch the older kids for a bit.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:31 am

I buy a bottle of wine for the newborn. In 21 years, perhaps it will be a something special.
Funding secured

Ybsybs

Post by Ybsybs » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:35 am

I greatly appreciated things for the new kid that were loved and consumed by the older sibling:
Pacifiers (especially the kind with a stuffed animal attached which allowed the baby to hold it himself sooner)
Diapers
Wipes
Board books (Some kids really like to sink their teeth into a good book.)
Teething toy

Or were loved by us, the parents, and previous gifts were still needed by the older sibling:
529 contributions

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:38 am

A Target gift card would be great

99% of people don't want another "thing"

Buying things is for the giver, not the receiver. The most useful gift is cash or gift card. If you want to put your mark on it, include a hand written card and bottle of wine.

Ybsybs

Post by Ybsybs » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:41 am

If you are looking to spend a bit more, there's a good chance they'll need a new carseat either for the newest one because the seats expire or for the oldest as everyone moves up.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:43 am

We just had our third 5 months ago. Diapers and wipes (assuming they don't do cloth) are ALWAYS welcome. The Target giftcard idea is also on point, as is a bottle of wine and organizing a meal train.
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

Topic Author
PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:58 pm

Thanks to you all for helping provide inspiration for ideas!

I'm leaning toward something all the children will be able to enjoy.

The family lives out of state, so this will be shipped to them, not hand-delivered.

Keep these ideas coming! They're great.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:03 pm

Consider a gift card to DoorDash (or a similar deliver service) so they can have some meals delivered for the entire family.

irish17

Post by irish17 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:15 pm

I like the idea of something for the family to celebrate:
maybe a membership to the zoo or childrens' museum
or favorite books which all children could participate with.