Tailgating Equipment Recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
nonfacebookuser365

Tailgating Equipment Recommendations

Post by nonfacebookuser365 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:32 am

Any tailgating recommendations? Interested in everything from trucks to grills to coolers, etc.

dm200

Re: Tailgating Equipment Recommendations

Post by dm200 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:37 am

nonfacebookuser365 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:32 am
Any tailgating recommendations? Interested in everything from trucks to grills to coolers, etc.
Just be careful about alcoholic beverages:

1. Only those of legal age are consuming
2. Laws and regulations, including transporting, are followed
3. All drivers and potential drivers refrain from drinking within a certain number of hours before driving.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:38 am

It is that time of year...

1999 Ford F-150 extended cab pickup, mandatory team bumper sticker
Coleman Cooler - Green with white top
Ice
Miller Lite
Weber Charcoal Grill, chimney starter and Kingsford Professional charcoal
Bugers, Brats and Buns (Mustard and Kraut)
Doritos - Several bags
4-6 bag chairs

Ready...break!
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

John Doe 123

Post by John Doe 123 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:42 am

Back in college I had season tickets to the Brewers with a few buddies. One of them bought a pop up canopy similar to the one below and kept it in his trunk. It saved us numerous times, and we even made some friends when it happened to rain.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ktaxon-EZ-PO ... /864391907

Also as bloom mentioned above, get yourself a Weber chimney starter. I've had the same one for 15 years and have saved hundreds of dollars on lighter fluid. There are some imitation brands out there that are cheaper. Don't go cheap - get the Weber.

Common things that seemed to get forgotten - put them in a bin if you're going to tailgate regularly.

Trash bags
Tongs/Spatula
Napkins
Matches/Lighter
Condiments
Can Koozies

And if you're using a charcoal grill - NEVER push it under your car before you go in the game. Close the vents and leave it out in the open. Or better yet, if you're comfortable doing so, use some metal tongs to take the hot grates out, and bring some oven mitts so you can carry the grill and dispense of the hot coals. Over the years I've seen dozens of cars start on fire because some idiot pushed their grill under their car and the gas tank caught fire. I will never understand why they think that is a good idea.

ohai

Post by ohai » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:06 pm

John Doe 123 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:42 am
Over the years I've seen dozens of cars start on fire because some idiot pushed their grill under their car and the gas tank caught fire. I will never understand why they think that is a good idea.
Wow.

Anyway, what is the consensus on speakers in the truck? New trucks even have power outlets in the back for this. My opinion is that it's a bit rude when in packed setting, but if the other people are spaced out, it is ok.

flossy21

Post by flossy21 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:18 pm

A lot depends on your situation. Are you a season ticket holder and you plan to do lots of long tailgates? Are you in a parking lot or a field? It's hard to justify spending big money on tailgate gear if you are just a now and again tailgate person.

for the ultimate -- Buy a used conversion van, ambulance or school bus with high mileage and convert it to a full time tailgating rig. -- http://www.tailgatingideas.com/jambulance/ or http://shagginwagon.net/ or http://www.tailgatelot.com/content/tag/van

The best grill I've found for tailgating is the Weber Q. Runs on small propane bottles, easy to set up, pack up and clean. Very durable -- https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/gas-grills/q-series/

Music is a must have. If you can't have a dedicated music set up in the back of your custom tailgate vehicle then get an all in one portable system. -- https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/pr ... nd-parties

You need something to do while you tailgate so get some games like bag toss/cornhole, washer toss, etc.

If there are no facilities in the area where you tailgate then you will need somewhere for people to use the restroom. I've used a portable toilet tent at concerts, nascar races and camping. -- https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Camping ... B00AZ0ZO56 and https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Product ... B000FIAPXO -- you'll need some 5 gallon plastic bags to line the luggable loo

Good luck!

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:18 pm

Make sure you have a tent / canopy. The 10' x 10' ones are a good size. If you are in a warm climate, on a sunny day, they will come in handy. On a rainy day (especially cold / rainy day), they will really come in handy.

I am terrible at tailgating. One time on a rainy day, we tried it without a tent. :oops: Fortunately, my son bailed us out by purchasing a tent on the spot.

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:23 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:38 am

Ice
Miller Lite
Doritos - Several bags
4-6 bag chairs

Ready...break!
You forgot to bring beer! :P :sharebeer

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:26 pm

I don't have one, but I've always thought one of these would be useful:

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:26 pm

oldfatguy wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:23 pm
bloom2708 wrote:

Ice
Miller Lite
Doritos - Several bags
4-6 bag chairs

Ready...break!
Full circle...chocolate tangerine IPA stout lager pumpkin spice 11% alcohol sour raspberry orange lime lemon BEER back to Miller Lite.

No hangovers, no headaches, can drink more than one and not be "over the limit"...on and on. :wink: :beer :sharebeer

All things revert to the mean. :mrgreen:
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:32 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:26 pm

Full circle...chocolate tangerine IPA stout lager pumpkin spice 11% alcohol sour raspberry orange lime lemon BEER back to Miller Lite.

No hangovers, no headaches, can drink more than one and not be "over the limit"...on and on. :wink: :beer :sharebeer
I hear ya! Similar for me, but more of a semi-circle, where I mostly enjoy a variety of well-made lagers.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:07 pm

Mount your TV on your hitch and have a portable satellite dish.

spinj

Post by spinj » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:30 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:07 pm
Why bother going into the game at that point!

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:59 pm

spinj wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:30 pm
runner3081 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:07 pm
Why bother going into the game at that point!
Not for watching the game you are at. For watching earlier games while tailgating!

rterickson

Post by rterickson » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:31 pm

If you are using a table-top barbecue, a folding table and a piece of plywood or tile to protect it from heat will come in handy.

See if the venue has a website, it will list all of the prohibited items. In our case Oakland Coliseum does not allow external speakers, portable toilets, or smoking anywhere on the premises.

Chadnudj

Post by Chadnudj » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:36 pm

bloom2708 wrote:

I'll dissent here. Find a propane camping style grill -- easier to clean/transport, warms up/cools down quicker meaning you get food faster/packed up easier, and some models feature both a grill and griddle meaning you're good for breakfast pancakes or burgers (plus they're frequently dishwasher friendly!).

I will never go back to charcoal for a tailgate. Way too much of a pain in the rear end.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:47 pm

Convert an ambulance into a "insert mascot name here" Rescue Unit. Custom interior with outward-facing big flat screen monitor and speakers in the back. Exterior painted in team colors. Adjacent pop up 10' x 20' shelter containing full bar. Lots and lots of team color camper chairs and 50 of your closest friends. :beer

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:05 pm

oldfatguy wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:23 pm
bloom2708 wrote:

Ice
Miller Lite
Doritos - Several bags
4-6 bag chairs

Ready...break!
Some people consider Miller Lite to be beer. But where's the radio or portable TV for the pregame shows?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:56 pm

It took us several years to get our tailgate stuff sorted out.
2 coolers. One beer, one pop/water. We encouraged people to take in water because the Costco water is bupkis and inside it's $3.

One sometimes 2 fold up tables (big game)
Small cooler with meats, other food.
At least a half dozen chairs (bag)
12x12 canopy.
Ohhhh, forgot...as you are pulling in you put the flagpole stand under your tire. Then assemble the poles and raise the colors. Very easy to tell folks where you are. Look for the (insert name here) flag.
Propane grill & extra cannisters. Fire starter
Propane heater for late season games.
One box for plates, plastic ware, cups, tablecloths (I know) and assorted accroutrements (bottle openers!)
Extra rain gear/cold weather gear. Maybe some extra if someone else forgot

we never did the portable generator. TV at some games. But we did not have a Sat receiver

Get there 6-8 hours before game time. Extra cudos if you are first in the lot. Stay late because traffic. It's a long day

I had an area in the garage so it was always ready. Week before do a run through looking at all the containers. Mrs Scrapr had a list taped to the inside top cover so you knew what was supposed to be in there. Day after is cleaning & sorting. Drying out the canopy

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:34 pm

Hand sanitizer

Take a picture of where your car is parked to help you find it after the game.

Chalk for drawing on the asphalt or concrete.

Toilet paper.

Game tickets, do not leave them at home. Make a ritual of checking them when everyone is in the car and ready to leave home.

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:25 am

Watty wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:34 pm
Game tickets, do not leave them at home. Make a ritual of checking them when everyone is in the car and ready to leave home.
doh!!! Parking Pass :oops:

I had to have my neighbor text me a picture of my pass. Showed that to the attendant. Then we caught up at the parking lot with the neighbor

Last game of the year?Rivalry game. throw everything in. We are going to use it

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:36 pm

This is a pretty open-ended question. You could have $200 "invested" in your setup or $500,000.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:21 pm

Luke Duke wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:36 pm
This is a pretty open-ended question. You could have $200 "invested" in your setup or $500,000.
I was going to say the same thing.

Also depends on the venue and team. Just for football, I've been to the Eagles, Ravens, Redskins, Giants, Steelers, and Carolina Panthers over the past 5 years. Each environment was different.

Same with colleges. I've seen $million rigs at Penn State games!
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams