Disney plus streaming deal

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mhalley
Posts: 7654
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Disney plus streaming deal

Post by mhalley » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:23 am

Disney is having a special deal on their new streaming service. If you sign up for d23 at d23.com, you get an email offer where you can get the service for $3.92 a month, a $23 dollar annual saving. The catch is you have to sign up for 3 years.
https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-plus-s ... -discount/

To get the deal, go to https://d23.com/d23-membership/ and click on the become general member button to create an account. It can take a couple days to get the email with the offer.
Well, you can get the paid ones if you want, but the general one is free :happy
Last edited by mhalley on Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silk McCue
Posts: 3449
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by Silk McCue » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:32 am

FYI - your title says “steaming”.

Cheers
Last edited by Silk McCue on Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

bloom2708
Posts: 6963
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Disney plus steaming deal

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:35 am

I (we) don't need to watch anymore TV, but this "early bird" deal seems like a good deal.

Locking in the price at under $4/month for 3 years seems solid. Thanks for sharing.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 22351
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Disney plus steaming deal

Post by dm200 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:42 am

I read the topic - and thought it was about steam locomotives :(

Topic Author
mhalley
Posts: 7654
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: Disney plus steaming deal

Post by mhalley » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:44 am

It’s a steaming deal on a streaming service :oops: Fixed.

aprilcpa
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:24 pm

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by aprilcpa » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:09 am

Thanks for posting this! My Star Wars obsessed son will love this new "channel"!!

bloom2708
Posts: 6963
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:12 pm

Anyone give Disney Plus a try yesterday?

I signed up for the one year at $69.99. I was going to buy Avengers - End Game for $20 so applied that to the subscription. Pretty reasonable for a year of access.

Seems like they have a few (OK a lot of) startup/high demand issues, but the app (Fire TV) is impressive.

A good mix of new and old. This will be competitive if they don't raise the price over and over. Knock on wood.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

bob60014
Posts: 1233
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:59 pm
Location: The Land Beyond ORD

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by bob60014 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:18 pm

If I need to watch a Disney movie or Star Wars, I'll go to the library and check out a dvd/bluray.........free! :)

onourway
Posts: 2080
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by onourway » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:30 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:18 pm
If I need to watch a Disney movie or Star Wars, I'll go to the library and check out a dvd/bluray.........free! :)
I mean we do the same sometimes - but it ain’t free. You have to get to the library, find the movie, check it out, get home, then return it. Doesn’t take much of an hourly wage to make $4, or even $7/month seem like a good deal.

fareastwarriors
Posts: 1069
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by fareastwarriors » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:31 pm

Is there a way to see what's available now without subscribing?

InvestingGeek
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:31 am

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by InvestingGeek » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:17 pm

fareastwarriors wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:31 pm
Is there a way to see what's available now without subscribing?
They have a 7-day free trial. We're mulling this too but want to get that trial after they work out the kinks.

LiterallyIronic
Posts: 1333
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:36 am

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:41 pm

fareastwarriors wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:31 pm
Is there a way to see what's available now without subscribing?
Here you go: https://whatsondisneyplus.com/library/
bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:12 pm
Anyone give Disney Plus a try yesterday?
I did the $3.92/month deal because it was too good of a price to pass up. That being said, I haven't done Netflix or any other streaming service because I don't like them. I hate recurring bills and avoid them if at all possible. I prefer to grow my DVD collection (it's at about 350 movies now, so almost as big as the Disney+ movie library). But now I have access for the next three years to a bunch of movies so I can see if they're really worth owning on disc.

SuperSaver
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by SuperSaver » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:23 pm

Signed up along with 10 million other subscribers

The content is simply Incredible. There’s a family-friendly Disney Friday night movie for the next 3 years for everyone.

Great mix of Snow White/etc classics, and new titles:
Pixar, Marvel, and yes- Star Wars

For existing Hulu customers, you can bundle for essentially the same price: $13 a month. I am sure this will be easily go up to $20 a month very soon. But quite simply, if you have small kids, this is the FIRST streaming subscription to get.

HBO of course close 2nd for grown-ups. I think the consumer is a big loser, as there is going to be two few shows distributed across to many streaming platforms.

From investing standpoint, I don’t see anyone knocking Disney off their perch for the next 10 years. They are predicting 150 million worldwide subscribers. I also do not see how Netflix day is viable as they are hemorrhaging cash trying to produce mediocre quality content.

Bob Iger is a genius. Thought DIS was on ropes when everyone (myself included) was cutting cord when ESPN comprised 30% of their revenue.

Just wish they would pay their employees better.

tj
Posts: 2684
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by tj » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:01 pm

I got in on the deal back in August. I've never had Netflix. I'm still doing the 12 month Hulu deal for $0.99/mo, but I can't say that I've used it that often.

So far, I've enjoyed the Mandalorian episodes and the Noelle Christmas movie. I get confused when people say Disney+ only appeals to kids, there's a lot of stuff in there that I would think adults would enjoy.

jibantik
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by jibantik » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:08 pm

SuperSaver wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:23 pm
...

Bob Iger is a genius. Thought DIS was on ropes when everyone (myself included) was cutting cord when ESPN comprised 30% of their revenue.

Just wish they would pay their employees better.
Genius for what? Doesn't take a genius to come up with a streaming service offering in 2019...

TheLaughingCow
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:41 pm

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by TheLaughingCow » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:56 pm

Since Iger took the reins on 30 Sept 2005, the annualized return on DIS stock has been 14.81%. $100 invested when Iger took charge would be worth $702.67 today. The annualized return on the S&P 500 has been just a hair over 9%. $100 invested in the S&P 500 on the same date would be worth $343.41

TheLaughingCow
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:41 pm

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by TheLaughingCow » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:56 pm

jibantik wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:08 pm
SuperSaver wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:23 pm
...

Bob Iger is a genius. Thought DIS was on ropes when everyone (myself included) was cutting cord when ESPN comprised 30% of their revenue.

Just wish they would pay their employees better.
Genius for what? Doesn't take a genius to come up with a streaming service offering in 2019...
Since Iger took the reins on 30 Sept 2005, the annualized return on DIS stock has been 14.81%. $100 invested when Iger took charge would be worth $702.67 today. The annualized return on the S&P 500 has been just a hair over 9%. $100 invested in the S&P 500 on the same date would be worth $343.41.

HEDGEFUNDIE
Posts: 3654
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:13 pm

jibantik wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:08 pm
SuperSaver wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:23 pm
...

Bob Iger is a genius. Thought DIS was on ropes when everyone (myself included) was cutting cord when ESPN comprised 30% of their revenue.

Just wish they would pay their employees better.
Genius for what? Doesn't take a genius to come up with a streaming service offering in 2019...
He has put on a master class in business synergy:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/27/busi ... eting.html

arsenalfan
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:26 am

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by arsenalfan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:27 am

Signed up
How do I access Hulu?
The Disney+ and ESPN+ logins are identical
But it doesnt work on Hulu - who wants me to setup a new account and give them a charge card.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 4921
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:49 am

onourway wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:30 pm
bob60014 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:18 pm
If I need to watch a Disney movie or Star Wars, I'll go to the library and check out a dvd/bluray.........free! :)
I mean we do the same sometimes - but it ain’t free. You have to get to the library, find the movie, check it out, get home, then return it. Doesn’t take much of an hourly wage to make $4, or even $7/month seem like a good deal.
Modern technology allows one to find it online and have the library tell me where it is being held for me to pickup when I drive past...

Got new Lion King, new Aladdin, Toy Story 4, and Spider-Man Far From Home all last week.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

User avatar
Taz
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Florida

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by Taz » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:57 am

arsenalfan wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:27 am
Signed up
How do I access Hulu?
The Disney+ and ESPN+ logins are identical
But it doesnt work on Hulu - who wants me to setup a new account and give them a charge card.
I was considering it and already have Hulu so I did some digging yesterday. These are separate apps and you would use the same email address to setup the Hulu account if you don't have one already. Recommend you read through the FAQs https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_ ... 58bf9619c8

If you scroll down on the page there is an option to chat with CS (24/7).
The destination matters.

Arbol
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by Arbol » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:01 am

arsenalfan wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:27 am
Signed up
How do I access Hulu?
The Disney+ and ESPN+ logins are identical
But it doesnt work on Hulu - who wants me to setup a new account and give them a charge card.
Did you buy the bundle which includes Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu or did you buy Disney+ and ESPN+ as separate services?

arsenalfan
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:26 am

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by arsenalfan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:09 am

Bought the 3 app bundle.

User avatar
Taz
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Florida

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by Taz » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:28 am

How do I activate my different subscriptions?

After you have signed up for the Disney bundle, you will be automatically signed up for Disney+ and ESPN+ and can immediately start streaming.

Activating Hulu
There are three ways to activate Hulu after your purchase:*

On the Disney bundle purchase confirmation screen, click on the link provided to activate Hulu
Instructions will be sent to you by email after purchase. Click on the link in the email to activate Hulu.
After logging in at disneyplus.com, navigate to your Account from your Profile icon and head to the Billing Details screen.

Find the Hulu logo under My Services Navigate to your Account from your Profile icon and head to the Billing Details screen and select Stream Now to activate Hulu
*If you have an existing Hulu subscription, you will not need to activate Hulu.

Streaming ESPN+

There are multiple ways to stream ESPN+ after your purchase:
Go to espn.com, navigate to your account settings in the top right and sign in using the same credentials as you used for Disney+
After logging in at disneyplus.com, navigate to your Account from your Profile icon and head to the Billing Details screen. Find the ESPN+ logo under My Services and select Stream Now to access ESPN+. You will log in to your ESPN+ account using the same credentials as you use for Disney+.

Download the ESPN app for your device and enter your credentials there. Instructions on downloading and setting up your devices can be found here.

If you have questions or concerns regarding your Hulu subscription, please visit Hulu. If you have any questions, are missing your activation instructions, or need further support, please reach out to Customer Service at one of the channels below.
The destination matters.

Winston19
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:42 pm

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by Winston19 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:32 am

Tempted to sign up for the Simpsons. Doh

Jim85
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:10 am

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by Jim85 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:35 am

If you have a Verizon cell phone plan with unlimited data, you can get Disney+ free for a year. Also if you have their 5G internet plan.

SuperSaver
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by SuperSaver » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:23 am

jibantik wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:08 pm
SuperSaver wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:23 pm
...

Bob Iger is a genius. Thought DIS was on ropes when everyone (myself included) was cutting cord when ESPN comprised 30% of their revenue.

Just wish they would pay their employees better.
Genius for what? Doesn't take a genius to come up with a streaming service offering in 2019...
Iger took essentially a media company, and built from scratch and pivoted towards a technology company. Gave up a 10yr head start to Netflix, as well as competitions (Amazon, Comcast). The word is full of examples that failed to pivot (Kodak), or failed to execute well (The ACA roll out)

It’s interesting watching the Imagineering documentary that even after the successful rollout of Epcot Center,, Disney was on the brink of being raided by corporate Raiders, who would have split the company off into separate businesses.

We all forget that as far back as 2015, subscriber folks were dumping ESPN by the millions, and box office sales were tanking as people stayed home to watch movies. That was when DIS was under $100/share

arsenalfan
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:26 am

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by arsenalfan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:27 am

Taz wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:28 am
How do I activate my different subscriptions?

After you have signed up for the Disney bundle, you will be automatically signed up for Disney+ and ESPN+ and can immediately start streaming.

Activating Hulu
There are three ways to activate Hulu after your purchase:*

On the Disney bundle purchase confirmation screen, click on the link provided to activate Hulu
Instructions will be sent to you by email after purchase. Click on the link in the email to activate Hulu.
After logging in at disneyplus.com, navigate to your Account from your Profile icon and head to the Billing Details screen.

Find the Hulu logo under My Services Navigate to your Account from your Profile icon and head to the Billing Details screen and select Stream Now to activate Hulu
*If you have an existing Hulu subscription, you will not need to activate Hulu.

Streaming ESPN+

There are multiple ways to stream ESPN+ after your purchase:
Go to espn.com, navigate to your account settings in the top right and sign in using the same credentials as you used for Disney+
After logging in at disneyplus.com, navigate to your Account from your Profile icon and head to the Billing Details screen. Find the ESPN+ logo under My Services and select Stream Now to access ESPN+. You will log in to your ESPN+ account using the same credentials as you use for Disney+.

Download the ESPN app for your device and enter your credentials there. Instructions on downloading and setting up your devices can be found here.

If you have questions or concerns regarding your Hulu subscription, please visit Hulu. If you have any questions, are missing your activation instructions, or need further support, please reach out to Customer Service at one of the channels below.
Thanks Taz.
Logged into Disney+, went to my account/billing tab, and Watch Hulu.
Setup Hulu account, and it worked.

Jags4186
Posts: 3915
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:29 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:41 pm
I did the $3.92/month deal because it was too good of a price to pass up. That being said, I haven't done Netflix or any other streaming service because I don't like them. I hate recurring bills and avoid them if at all possible. I prefer to grow my DVD collection (it's at about 350 movies now, so almost as big as the Disney+ movie library). But now I have access for the next three years to a bunch of movies so I can see if they're really worth owning on disc.
The thought of having 350 DVDs and wanting to increase that total gives me anxiety. Let’s say those 350 DVDs were acquired for an average cost of $7 each...thats $2450 which would pay for decades of a streaming service. Plus you don’t need to store, dust, potentially move or eventually sell/throw/give away that collection ever.
Last edited by Jags4186 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

HEDGEFUNDIE
Posts: 3654
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:29 am

Love it.

Just bought the $70 12 month package. Paid for it through PayPal and Chase Freedom, so I got an effective 7.5% discount. Comes out to $5.40/month.

Wyodoc
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:32 am

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by Wyodoc » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:03 am

So far loving it for the kids. They don’t watch much tv but for the rare occasions appears to have great content. Especially the 5yo who just got into Star Wars.

If you already have Hulu without commercials (which we had already) you can sign up on Disney+ using your Hulu email address for the bundle and you will get a 5.99 monthly credit off from Disney site... just FYI

User avatar
Just sayin...
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:12 am

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by Just sayin... » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:04 am

Just signed up for the free year because of our Verizon Wireless account. Watched Ratatouille, The Sound of Music and Dumbo already. Our “watch list” is huge and should take us well into 2020. Except for a few stuttering issues early on, it’s been great. And, you can’t beat free.

stoptothink
Posts: 6520
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by stoptothink » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:16 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:29 am
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:41 pm
I did the $3.92/month deal because it was too good of a price to pass up. That being said, I haven't done Netflix or any other streaming service because I don't like them. I hate recurring bills and avoid them if at all possible. I prefer to grow my DVD collection (it's at about 350 movies now, so almost as big as the Disney+ movie library). But now I have access for the next three years to a bunch of movies so I can see if they're really worth owning on disc.
The thought of having 350 DVDs and wanting to increase that total gives me anxiety. Let’s say those 350 DVDs were acquired for an average cost of $7 each...thats $2450 which would pay for decades of a streaming service. Plus you don’t need to store, dust, potentially move or eventually sell/throw/give away that collection ever.
+1 and you need a DVD player to play them. What exactly is the benefit to owning the disc? Streaming is the present and future; how long before discs are completely obsolete?

HomeStretch
Posts: 2930
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by HomeStretch » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:25 am

Deleted

TheLaughingCow
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:41 pm

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by TheLaughingCow » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:30 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:16 am
Jags4186 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:29 am
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:41 pm
I did the $3.92/month deal because it was too good of a price to pass up. That being said, I haven't done Netflix or any other streaming service because I don't like them. I hate recurring bills and avoid them if at all possible. I prefer to grow my DVD collection (it's at about 350 movies now, so almost as big as the Disney+ movie library). But now I have access for the next three years to a bunch of movies so I can see if they're really worth owning on disc.
The thought of having 350 DVDs and wanting to increase that total gives me anxiety. Let’s say those 350 DVDs were acquired for an average cost of $7 each...thats $2450 which would pay for decades of a streaming service. Plus you don’t need to store, dust, potentially move or eventually sell/throw/give away that collection ever.
+1 and you need a DVD player to play them. What exactly is the benefit to owning the disc? Streaming is the present and future; how long before discs are completely obsolete?
When Disney removes movies, adds advertisements, jacks up the price of the streaming service, modifies the existing movies (looking at you Star Wars), requires you to log in to servers that may not always be online, or adds other stipulations, you won't be asking this question. There will always be a place for physical media.

stoptothink
Posts: 6520
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by stoptothink » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:41 pm

TheLaughingCow wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:30 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:16 am
Jags4186 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:29 am
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:41 pm
I did the $3.92/month deal because it was too good of a price to pass up. That being said, I haven't done Netflix or any other streaming service because I don't like them. I hate recurring bills and avoid them if at all possible. I prefer to grow my DVD collection (it's at about 350 movies now, so almost as big as the Disney+ movie library). But now I have access for the next three years to a bunch of movies so I can see if they're really worth owning on disc.
The thought of having 350 DVDs and wanting to increase that total gives me anxiety. Let’s say those 350 DVDs were acquired for an average cost of $7 each...thats $2450 which would pay for decades of a streaming service. Plus you don’t need to store, dust, potentially move or eventually sell/throw/give away that collection ever.
+1 and you need a DVD player to play them. What exactly is the benefit to owning the disc? Streaming is the present and future; how long before discs are completely obsolete?
When Disney removes movies, adds advertisements, jacks up the price of the streaming service, modifies the existing movies (looking at you Star Wars), requires you to log in to servers that may not always be online, or adds other stipulations, you won't be asking this question. There will always be a place for physical media.
No, I still will be asking this question. It will still be significantly cheaper than purchasing physical discs and my selection won't be limited to the discs that I personally own. It's happening in both the movie/tv and video game industries.

User avatar
ReformedSpender
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:24 pm
Location: Stone's Throw from Vanguard

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by ReformedSpender » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:07 pm

Too bad that deal ended on Labor Day
Market history shows that when there's economic blue sky, future returns are low, and when the economy is on the skids, future returns are high. The best fishing is done in the most stormy waters.

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 6684
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by whodidntante » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:19 pm

All Bogleheads should subscribe because Disney is my long position in this year's hedge fund contest.

SrGrumpy
Posts: 1173
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:34 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:19 pm
All Bogleheads should subscribe because Disney is my long position in this year's hedge fund contest.
+1. DIS is my biggest individual holding - and I've been reinvesting the dividends over the years (where's the emoji of the guy hiding under the table?)

mike512usa
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by mike512usa » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:50 pm

I am doing the 7 day trial. I won't be going beyond the trial period. Too little content. The Disney Vault has ten movies. Lots of old TV shows for Marvel and Disney. I know that new content from Disney/Marvel/Star Wars is going to be limited. I don't really care for Star Wars. If they can not put ALL of the Marvel and Disney movies on the service than they really are not committed to this service.

tj
Posts: 2684
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by tj » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:25 am

mike512usa wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:50 pm
I am doing the 7 day trial. I won't be going beyond the trial period. Too little content. The Disney Vault has ten movies. Lots of old TV shows for Marvel and Disney. I know that new content from Disney/Marvel/Star Wars is going to be limited. I don't really care for Star Wars. If they can not put ALL of the Marvel and Disney movies on the service than they really are not committed to this service.
They will get all the Marvel movies on there. They have to wait out the period of licensing rights to others.

User avatar
obafgkm
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:12 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by obafgkm » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:47 am

mike512usa wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:50 pm
I am doing the 7 day trial. I won't be going beyond the trial period. Too little content. The Disney Vault has ten movies.
Hmmm. You may have a different vault than I do. Looking at my feed, "Out of the Vault" for "Disney" has far more than ten movies available, about twenty-five.

Perhaps Disney+ offers a different feed for different subscribers, or those who have already subscribed have a different feed than those doing the free trial, but I don't know why Disney would want to do that.

stoptothink
Posts: 6520
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by stoptothink » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:13 am

mike512usa wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:50 pm
I am doing the 7 day trial. I won't be going beyond the trial period. Too little content. The Disney Vault has ten movies. Lots of old TV shows for Marvel and Disney. I know that new content from Disney/Marvel/Star Wars is going to be limited. I don't really care for Star Wars. If they can not put ALL of the Marvel and Disney movies on the service than they really are not committed to this service.
If you don't have kids, I don't see why anybody would be interested (Ok, there are some adults who like Disney/Pixar, Star Wars, and are not yet bored by Marvel...but I am not one). There is pretty much nothing on there I am interested in, but Netflix/Amazon/Hulu pretty much don't exist as far as my kids are concerned now.

LiterallyIronic
Posts: 1333
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:36 am

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by LiterallyIronic » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:05 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:29 am
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:41 pm
I did the $3.92/month deal because it was too good of a price to pass up. That being said, I haven't done Netflix or any other streaming service because I don't like them. I hate recurring bills and avoid them if at all possible. I prefer to grow my DVD collection (it's at about 350 movies now, so almost as big as the Disney+ movie library). But now I have access for the next three years to a bunch of movies so I can see if they're really worth owning on disc.
The thought of having 350 DVDs and wanting to increase that total gives me anxiety. Let’s say those 350 DVDs were acquired for an average cost of $7 each...thats $2450 which would pay for decades of a streaming service. Plus you don’t need to store, dust, potentially move or eventually sell/throw/give away that collection ever.
First, you greatly overestimate the average cost. I would say about half were acquired for under $4. And probably 90% were under $7. I get them primarily from the local used DVD store, from pawn shops, from yard sales, and from Craigslist. The only ones that are painful are the Disney, Pixar, or Marvel movies, which even used run $12-15.

Secondly, paying for a streaming service gets you nothing in the long run. You only have access as long as: 1) you continue to pay; and 2) the host continues to offer that movie.

Thirdly, about storage, dusting, and potentially moving the movies. I recycle the cases and keep the discs in CD sleeves. Then they go inside these boxes. I have two of those boxes, which can hold all 350 of my movies, and there is still room before I need to get a third box. Barely takes up any room, takes about two seconds to dust the tops of the boxes, and I can (and have) grabbed both boxes and taken them around easily.

Fourthly, by saying you don't have to sell/throw out/give away "that collection", what collection are you talking about? The streaming service's collection?
stoptothink wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:41 pm
TheLaughingCow wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:30 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:16 am
+1 and you need a DVD player to play them. What exactly is the benefit to owning the disc? Streaming is the present and future; how long before discs are completely obsolete?
When Disney removes movies, adds advertisements, jacks up the price of the streaming service, modifies the existing movies (looking at you Star Wars), requires you to log in to servers that may not always be online, or adds other stipulations, you won't be asking this question. There will always be a place for physical media.
No, I still will be asking this question. It will still be significantly cheaper than purchasing physical discs and my selection won't be limited to the discs that I personally own. It's happening in both the movie/tv and video game industries.
And I need a DVD player to play them? It's not like a DVD player is hard to acquire. My blu-ray player sits next to the TV, along with the NES, SNES, Nintendo64, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Genesis, Xbox, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 4, NES Classic, and SNES Classic. I will be acquiring an Xbox 360 to add to the group come Black Friday. (You do not want to look at all the wires behind my TV). I also have a gaming PC and I'm about to buy a Vive.

The benefit to owning physical media, be that movies, TV series, or video game cartridges/discs, is that they can never be taken away (barring an actual home robbery, of course). I buy my stuff once and never again. I'm not at the mercy of the streaming services not removing the content. Nor do I need to bog down my Internet connection to watch a movie (my kid can be watching Beauty and the Beast on disc, while I'm gaming online without straining my little 5Mbps connection). I'm not concerned with "my selection being limited to the discs I personally own." I own a lot of media. I'm at 350 movies now, but my "to buy" list is upwards of 800.

When the day comes when movies and video games are only sold as digital copies, that's the day I stop buying them.

Does this cost more than Netflix? Absolutely. Do I get more value per dollar spent on physical media than streamed media? Absolutely. It's almost like different people value different things differently. For example, Jags4186 just complained that I spent so much money on physical movies. On the other side of the coin, I'm quite certain that Jags4186 spent more than I did on a car - mine was $700. Let's say Jags4186 spent $10k on a car purchase. That could pay for decades of clunkers. People spend their money on things they like because we only have the one life to live and once you're dead, you can't take any of it with you. If people don't get value out of buying physical discs, don't buy them. If people don't get value out of nice cars, don't buy them. But maybe other people do like those things and want to spend their money on that instead of the thing you like.

Jags4186
Posts: 3915
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:39 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:05 am
Jags4186 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:29 am
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:41 pm
I did the $3.92/month deal because it was too good of a price to pass up. That being said, I haven't done Netflix or any other streaming service because I don't like them. I hate recurring bills and avoid them if at all possible. I prefer to grow my DVD collection (it's at about 350 movies now, so almost as big as the Disney+ movie library). But now I have access for the next three years to a bunch of movies so I can see if they're really worth owning on disc.
The thought of having 350 DVDs and wanting to increase that total gives me anxiety. Let’s say those 350 DVDs were acquired for an average cost of $7 each...thats $2450 which would pay for decades of a streaming service. Plus you don’t need to store, dust, potentially move or eventually sell/throw/give away that collection ever.
First, you greatly overestimate the average cost. I would say about half were acquired for under $4. And probably 90% were under $7. I get them primarily from the local used DVD store, from pawn shops, from yard sales, and from Craigslist. The only ones that are painful are the Disney, Pixar, or Marvel movies, which even used run $12-15.

Secondly, paying for a streaming service gets you nothing in the long run. You only have access as long as: 1) you continue to pay; and 2) the host continues to offer that movie.

Thirdly, about storage, dusting, and potentially moving the movies. I recycle the cases and keep the discs in CD sleeves. Then they go inside these boxes. I have two of those boxes, which can hold all 350 of my movies, and there is still room before I need to get a third box. Barely takes up any room, takes about two seconds to dust the tops of the boxes, and I can (and have) grabbed both boxes and taken them around easily.

Fourthly, by saying you don't have to sell/throw out/give away "that collection", what collection are you talking about? The streaming service's collection?
stoptothink wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:41 pm
TheLaughingCow wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:30 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:16 am
+1 and you need a DVD player to play them. What exactly is the benefit to owning the disc? Streaming is the present and future; how long before discs are completely obsolete?
When Disney removes movies, adds advertisements, jacks up the price of the streaming service, modifies the existing movies (looking at you Star Wars), requires you to log in to servers that may not always be online, or adds other stipulations, you won't be asking this question. There will always be a place for physical media.
No, I still will be asking this question. It will still be significantly cheaper than purchasing physical discs and my selection won't be limited to the discs that I personally own. It's happening in both the movie/tv and video game industries.
And I need a DVD player to play them? It's not like a DVD player is hard to acquire. My blu-ray player sits next to the TV, along with the NES, SNES, Nintendo64, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Genesis, Xbox, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 4, NES Classic, and SNES Classic. I will be acquiring an Xbox 360 to add to the group come Black Friday. (You do not want to look at all the wires behind my TV). I also have a gaming PC and I'm about to buy a Vive.

The benefit to owning physical media, be that movies, TV series, or video game cartridges/discs, is that they can never be taken away (barring an actual home robbery, of course). I buy my stuff once and never again. I'm not at the mercy of the streaming services not removing the content. Nor do I need to bog down my Internet connection to watch a movie (my kid can be watching Beauty and the Beast on disc, while I'm gaming online without straining my little 5Mbps connection). I'm not concerned with "my selection being limited to the discs I personally own." I own a lot of media. I'm at 350 movies now, but my "to buy" list is upwards of 800.

When the day comes when movies and video games are only sold as digital copies, that's the day I stop buying them.

Does this cost more than Netflix? Absolutely. Do I get more value per dollar spent on physical media than streamed media? Absolutely. It's almost like different people value different things differently. For example, Jags4186 just complained that I spent so much money on physical movies. On the other side of the coin, I'm quite certain that Jags4186 spent more than I did on a car - mine was $700. Let's say Jags4186 spent $10k on a car purchase. That could pay for decades of clunkers. People spend their money on things they like because we only have the one life to live and once you're dead, you can't take any of it with you. If people don't get value out of buying physical discs, don't buy them. If people don't get value out of nice cars, don't buy them. But maybe other people do like those things and want to spend their money on that instead of the thing you like.
No, I’m not complaining that you spent too much on something. I think everyone should spend their money on whatever makes them happy. I am saying that for the money that you likely spent collecting DVDs I think it’s probably a better value to subscribe to a streaming service rather than collect more stuff.

Worrying about a movie coming on or off a service is a straw man IMO because my wife and I frequently switch to different services to get the content we want. For example, we like Handmaids Tale. I’ll get Hulu the month after a new season is done and we’ll watch that. Then maybe I’ll drop it for Netflix when a new season of Strange Things drops. And during football season I pick up Sling TV in order to get NFL Redzone. Additionally you can get content streamed in 4K and eventually 8k when that is a thing. Meanwhile hoarding DVDs keeps you with 480p.

LiterallyIronic
Posts: 1333
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:36 am

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by LiterallyIronic » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:08 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:39 am
Additionally you can get content streamed in 4K and eventually 8k when that is a thing. Meanwhile hoarding DVDs keeps you with 480p.
Lol, if I wanted to see something in higher resolution, I'd start by getting a pair of glasses instead of seeing everything fuzzy. I can't tell a DVD from a blu-ray. And my TV is 1080p, so it couldn't display in 4K even if I bought 4K discs and a 4K player. Heck, my two computer monitors are 1600x900 and 1360x768. Doesn't matter. The only difference I can tell with a higher resolution monitor is that the windows are smaller.

PatrickA5
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:55 pm

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by PatrickA5 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:19 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:08 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:39 am
Additionally you can get content streamed in 4K and eventually 8k when that is a thing. Meanwhile hoarding DVDs keeps you with 480p.
Lol, if I wanted to see something in higher resolution, I'd start by getting a pair of glasses instead of seeing everything fuzzy. I can't tell a DVD from a blu-ray. And my TV is 1080p, so it couldn't display in 4K even if I bought 4K discs and a 4K player. Heck, my two computer monitors are 1600x900 and 1360x768. Doesn't matter. The only difference I can tell with a higher resolution monitor is that the windows are smaller.
Not much difference between 4K and 1080P - even watching my top of the line Sony OLED 65" TV. You have to be fairly close to the TV to see the difference.

Thegame14
Posts: 1295
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 11:53 am

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by Thegame14 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:44 pm

and what If I already signed up for one year, but I am in the last day of the free trial, can I cancel the one year and sign up for the three year?

bloom2708
Posts: 6963
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:27 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:44 pm
and what If I already signed up for one year, but I am in the last day of the free trial, can I cancel the one year and sign up for the three year?
The 3 year deal was a promotion. It is done. Now it is by month or pay for the full year in one payment.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

User avatar
greg24
Posts: 3708
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:34 am

Re: Disney plus streaming deal

Post by greg24 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:06 pm

I scoff at DVD purchasers. Why would I buy a DVD when I already own it on VHS?

Post Reply