Mouse invasion!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jibantik

Re: Mouse invasion!

Post by jibantik » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:49 pm

Take care of the mouse problem fast, or you may get something else to take care of it for you. And the thing that takes care of a mouse problem is not something that is pleasant to find in your house, as harmless as it may be.

I found snap traps to be effective. Got the mice as well as the snake that got into the house for the mice. :mrgreen:

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:04 pm

sawhorse wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:42 pm
A little mouse - I have named her Sophia - has been running through our apartment recently.

Sophia has been seen scurrying about the bedroom area which has never had food crumbs. She has also been seen running from one wall through the kitchen area to the other wall never stopping. Might she view our apartment as a conduit between tastier locales?

She's been spotted about a dozen times in the last week.

I don't know what to do because we don't have food out, and we vacuumed and mopped the kitchen floor throughly last night, and there she was greeting me this morning.

I don't know any cats I can borrow, and last time this happened, the mice made a mockery of the traps we set.

Help!
How about adopting a cat from a shelter, if you're sure you can give the cat a good home, which includes keeping it indoor-only. I used to have a mouse get in the house 1-2 times a year. Not since I got a cat, who caught one (I released the mouse outside.) I think that mouse told its buddies to stay out of the house. There are outside mice as this is a rural area.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:36 pm

From a professional mouser I once worked with: To make sure you get them all -- many mice look alike -- keep baited traps out for two weeks after the last one was caught. After no more have been caught for two weeks, you can remove them.

westie

Post by westie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:48 pm

nip it in the bud ....

The gestational period for a litter of mice is approximately 19-21 days and females give birth to a litter of 3-14 babies. One female mouse can have approximately 5-10 litters of young per year,

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:28 pm

What Westie wrote, it means that you will not kill them faster with traps than they have babies. That's the reason I use poisons outside which they will carry to their hiding places.

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:35 pm

We had this issue. I have an irrational fear of mice, so just called our maintenance and they took care of it. Set the traps and emptied them.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:39 pm

By this time, the kill count should be between 3 and 7. Maybe even higher since "invasion" with an exclamation point (!) was used in the thread title.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:21 pm

sawhorse wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:07 pm
I don't want mouse blood all over the floor.
How much blood do you think a mouse has in it?
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:44 pm

You can set the trap inside a paper school lunch bag. Then you will only need to pick up the lunch bag and dispose of the trap & mouse all in one.

NYC apartment living where none of the roommates wanted to dispose of the trap, and we tired of throwing out the spatula we used to remove the trap.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:25 pm

Just one mouse? Get a few of these from Home Depot, something like 4 for a dollar:

Peanut butter for bait. The little guy will be dead by morning, throw him out with the trash.

fauxden

Post by fauxden » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:13 pm

Recently killed a few in my house. Victor trap with peanut butter. I learned on YouTube to shred some cotton from a qtip and mix with the peanut butter. This prevents licking clean without setting off the trap. Also if you glue some dog food to the release it forces them to tug on the mechanism harder, making sure it gets set off. Also not a bad idea to use some pliers to loosen the release up a bit, hair trigger.

Tool-Time

Post by Tool-Time » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:36 am

Heres a no kill method. Buy a 5 gal plastic bucket with cover. Drill a 1 inch hole in center of cover. Place bait in bottom of pail, place pail where you've seen the mouse. Make sure mouse can access the top of bucket. Works for me.

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:30 am

We live in the country and have had a lot of mice for years. We tried many traps and the Ratzapper is the best. Pricey but it works.

https://www.amazon.com/Rat-Zapper-Class ... B01N0LRKR5

Topic Author
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:49 pm

UPDATE

Wow! I got some non-kill traps as I wanted to give those a try first. The ventilation on the traps looked like it may have been insufficient, so I drilled some holes so that poor little Sophia wouldn't suffocate to death. I didn't have peanut butter and used honey roasted peanuts instead.

Within half an hour, I heard the satisfying sound of the door being activated. Inside was cute little Sophia munching on a peanut. I explained to her that we would be finding her a new home, took her to a park, and set her free.

As per thread advice, I'm keeping the traps out in case her family and friends come around.

wtjbatman

Post by wtjbatman » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:39 pm

sawhorse wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:49 pm
Inside was cute little Sophia munching on a peanut. I explained to her that we would be finding her a new home, took her to a park, and set her free.
So cute!

https://www.cdc.gov/rodents/diseases/direct.html

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:11 am

sawhorse wrote:
UPDATE

Wow! I got some non-kill traps as I wanted to give those a try first. The ventilation on the traps looked like it may have been insufficient, so I drilled some holes so that poor little Sophia wouldn't suffocate to death. I didn't have peanut butter and used honey roasted peanuts instead.

Within half an hour, I heard the satisfying sound of the door being activated. Inside was cute little Sophia munching on a peanut. I explained to her that we would be finding her a new home, took her to a park, and set her free.

As per thread advice, I'm keeping the traps out in case her family and friends come around.
That's very sweet - she likely took her place in the food chain (Google: "hawk takes mouse")

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:23 pm

jebmke wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:53 pm
barnaclebob wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:49 pm
Our house has way too many holes to seal unless I do a full down to the studs reno.
True with most. I sealed as much as I could. Mice still get in. They really don't need much room. I found a black snake the diameter of my index finger in the attic one year. They find a way.
I used to catch about 4 or 5 every Fall in the basement, just when the weather gets chilly outside. Then we got our band joist insulated with spray foam and the mouse problem essentially ended. I think I have caught only 1 or 2 total in the past 8 years since we did the insulation. I never knew where they were getting in, but the spray foam seemed to stop almost all of them.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:59 pm

sawhorse wrote:
UPDATE

Eh, not what I would have done, but, I'll never criticize a person who thinks enough about creatures to go to the steps you have.

We only had a mouse invasion one time. We had a garage sale, and a family friend brought by a nasty old couch (surprisingly it sold :shock:) that I believe was full of mice. Took a couple of weeks to get rid of the varmints, we used the Victor snap traps. The key is to put the traps horizontally along walls; boy do they love peanut butter!

Of course until last summer we always had a cat, sometimes an inside one, and also a yard cat. Although our inside cats would probably ignore a mouse. Not so our yard cat.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Topic Author
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:32 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:11 am
sawhorse wrote:
UPDATE

That's very sweet - she likely took her place in the food chain (Google: "hawk takes mouse")
The park is in the middle of a major city, and I have never seen any hawks. I released Sophia during the summer in a place that has so many food scraps that it's common to see morbidly obese pigeons and squirrels. If she can't find a way to survive in that environment, she probably doesn't deserve to have her genes passed on.

And if she ends up getting eaten by a hawk, well, at least I saved the hawk's life. :D