Coffee becomes cold too soon

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bstewie

Re: Coffee becomes cold too soon

Post by bstewie » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:39 am

OP, I too am particular about my coffee temperature. What I have found works best is to use a regular old coffee maker with a hot plate and to simply top the 1/3 off when it’s no longer to my liking. If my work environment wasn’t conducive, I would buy a cheap hot plate for a cup. These $100 coffee mugs are outrageous. Alternatively, drink your coffee quicker.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:07 am

lotusflower wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:21 am
I have one of these
https://joeveo.com/collections/brushed- ... rfect-mugs
It looks like it is the same idea as the Coffee Joulies that were mentioned but the phase-change material is built into the wall of the cup. It cools the coffee to a drinking temperature right away and then holds it there for 3-4 hours.
Fantastic.
I haven’t tried it, but it would probably be more convenient than the Joulies.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:00 am

Switch to espresso and you can finish it much faster.

stufunds

Post by stufunds » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:28 am

get_g0ing wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:47 am
I like my coffee warm. And I like to drink it slowly in a regular mug. But it gets cold too fast for me . . . .

Anyone else face this situation :) Any neat solution you found?

Hello get_g0ing,

I’m more of a tea drinker, by which I mean that I drink around six cups of tea whenever I am home all day. And if I’m burning the midnight oil on some odd project, I’ll drink even more.

My current “system,” consists of a 1.7 L, 1200 W Willsence Electric Kettle for heating the water and brewing the tea, and a 16 oz Burnout Travel Mug for cooling and consuming the tea. The Burnout Travel Mug uses a form of the phase change material (PCM) technology that others have referred to.

I’ve only been using this system for two months, but so far I’m happy with it. Post-brewing, the Burnout Travel Mug quickly brings my tea down to just about the right temperature (for me, at least), and keeps it there. I have yet to have my unfinished tea go cold in that mug, and this includes times when I’ve prepared a mug of warm/hot tea so it will be waiting for me when I come back from an evening out. (Sometimes I need to get it into my system ASAP.)

When I’m finally finished with the Burnout mug for the night, I fill it with cold water to absorb its residual heat. I’m not sure if you actually have to do that, but the PCM tech is that effective.

Unfortunately, I’m only using the minimum capacity of the Willsence Electric Kettle each time I make tea. I could make larger batches and keep the excess in the carafe, but my understanding is that the Willsence kettle can’t be set to keep liquids warm for longer than an hour.

If Burnout ever comes out with a larger capacity mug, I’ll be sure to get it. Or I could get a second 16 oz Burnout mug . . .

Prior to the Willsence Electric Kettle/Burnout Travel Mug solution, I was using microwave + 16 oz Cauldryn Coffee Smart Mug. The Cauldryn mug uses lithium-ion-powered heating technology.

It also came with Bluetooth connectivity so it could be controlled by a smartphone app. I opted not to use that feature.

While the Cauldryn mug could heat water on its own up to 212 F, I would pre-heat two cups of water in the microwave to save time, and let my tea brew in the mug. It still took awhile to get up to 212 F for black tea.

The problem I had with the Cauldryn mug was that the insulation was too good. It took forever for my tea to get down to a drinkable temperature. During the ten months before I destroyed the Cauldryn by accidentally sweeping it off my counter onto my hard kitchen floor, my tea consumption plummeted because I was always waiting for it to cool.

More subjectively, the Cauldryn also seemed to have a hard, industrial feel that I never felt comfortable about.

Bogleheads running the numbers on my tea brewing/consumption systems are probably horrified at this point, especially since I managed to wreck one of them. It may make them feel better to know that prior to the microwave/Cauldryn system, I was using microwave + cheap 34 oz foam insulated coffee mug. I’d used the microwave/cheap 34 oz mug system exclusively for at least three years, and I still use it when I don’t have access to a high-tech mug.

With the 34 oz insulated mug, I would (and still do) heat three cups of water in the microwave and let my tea brew in the mug.

With such an inexpensive mug, the temperature drops rapidly to drinking temperature, and continues dropping. After my experience with the Cauldryn, I’ve decided that having tea that drops to a drinkable temperature quickly is more important to me than having tea that stays hot for a long time.

Hope this information helps.

Sincerely,

-- stufunds
Save Early, Save Often

Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:38 am

Why don’t people drink their whole cup of coffee all at one time? It takes me 20 seconds to consume a cup of tea. If your drink contains milk or sugar, you incease cavity formation in your teeth by sipping vs chugging. It’s not the quantity of sugar that matters, it’s the number of minutes throughout the day that your teeth are exposed that matters. Each time you take a sip, a residual amount will linger in your mouth for a good while.

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:59 am

Ping Pong wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:38 am
Why don’t people drink their whole cup of coffee all at one time? It takes me 20 seconds to consume a cup of tea. If your drink contains milk or sugar, you incease cavity formation in your teeth by sipping vs chugging. It’s not the quantity of sugar that matters, it’s the number of minutes throughout the day that your teeth are exposed that matters. Each time you take a sip, a residual amount will linger in your mouth for a good while.
If you're drinking Folgers or some other pre-ground, bitter grocery store sludge I can see why you'd want to get it down as quickly as possible. On the other hand, some of us like to savor a cup of the good stuff.

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:00 am

🤦‍♂️....
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:00 am

lotusflower wrote:
I have one of these

It looks like it is the same idea as the Coffee Joulies that were mentioned but the phase-change material is built into the wall of the cup. It cools the coffee to a drinking temperature right away and then holds it there for 3-4 hours.

Fantastic.
Thanks. I just bought one. Now, all they need is a locking cap like the Thermos. Or, a ceramic cap.

KlangFool
Last edited by KlangFool on Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:04 am

get_g0ing wrote:
Hello friends,

I like my coffee warm. And I like to drink it slowly in a regular mug. But it gets cold too fast for me. So I have to keep warming the mug in the microwave (I drink 1/3, then warm it, then at 2/3, I warm it again).

Skip the mug! :mrgreen:

"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:06 am

tea_pirate wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:59 am
Ping Pong wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:38 am
If you're drinking Folgers or some other pre-ground, bitter grocery store sludge I can see why you'd want to get it down as quickly as possible. On the other hand, some of us like to savor a cup of the good stuff.
+1,000.

KlangFool

lotusflower

Post by lotusflower » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:54 am

KlangFool wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:00 am
lotusflower wrote:
I have one of these

Fantastic.
Thanks. I just bought one. Now, all they need is a locking cap like the Thermos. Or, a ceramic cap.

KlangFool
wow, let me know how you like it, I got mine when it was a Kickstarter. I ended up taking the metal part of the cap off, since it's only spill-resistant and not spillproof. That way it's easier to clean. Really the cap is there to hold heat in more than to prevent accidents. For people who say it's expensive, I've probably drunk 1000 cups of coffee with it over 5 years. Totally worth 5¢ a cup to avoid room-temperature coffee.

For those who ask why, I don't drink coffee until I get to work, then I sip my 16-oz dose until lunchtime. As a result I actually like my job.

coffeeblack

Post by coffeeblack » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:04 pm

get_g0ing wrote:
Hello friends,

I like my coffee warm. And I like to drink it slowly in a regular mug. But it gets cold too fast for me. So I have to keep warming the mug in the microwave (I drink 1/3, then warm it, then at 2/3, I warm it again).

Coffee mug warmer.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:08 pm

lotusflower wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:54 am
KlangFool wrote:
lotusflower wrote:
I have one of these

Fantastic.

KlangFool
wow, let me know how you like it, I got mine when it was a Kickstarter. I ended up taking the metal part of the cap off, since it's only spill-resistant and not spillproof. That way it's easier to clean. Really the cap is there to hold heat in more than to prevent accidents. For people who say it's expensive, I've probably drunk 1000 cups of coffee with it over 5 years. Totally worth 5¢ a cup to avoid room-temperature coffee.

For those who ask why, I don't drink coffee until I get to work, then I sip my 16-oz dose until lunchtime. As a result I actually like my job.
1) I collect and do my research on coffee mugs. I have probably one or two of each type.

2) Did you find any compatible cap for this mug?

Thanks for the recommendation.

KlangFool

Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:15 pm

Looks like Wal-Mart is out of ALL the colored 10 oz Ozark Trail mugs:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail- ... /299215121

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:19 pm

get_g0ing wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:15 pm

How about the 12 oz with handle?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail- ... thena=true
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:05 pm

bstewie wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:39 am
OP, I too am particular about my coffee temperature. What I have found works best is to use a regular old coffee maker with a hot plate and to simply top the 1/3 off when it’s no longer to my liking. If my work environment wasn’t conducive, I would buy a cheap hot plate for a cup. These $100 coffee mugs are outrageous. Alternatively, drink your coffee quicker.
^^^^^^↑^^^^^^^
This.

Is everyone using Keurig now? 10× the price for mediocre coffee and huge environmental impact. No thanks. I'll stick to a standard coffee maker and top off my cup at will.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:22 pm

If you have a wireless charger sitting around, this is just the ticket. Surely not a BH price :shock:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/product ... mug-14-oz/

You can adjust the temperature to your liking via a phone app...

I have also seen IoT-enabled egg containers. I am not sure which is more ridiculous.

jdb

Post by jdb » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:45 pm

Problems abound. I have same issue with my morning coffee in my souvenir ceramic cup from the Met in NYC, too many good memories to use another. But have similar issue with my late afternoon early evening pre dinner chilled gin martini straight up in martini glass. It gets lukewarm too soon. I believe in the maxim keep caffeine buzz going until martini buzz kicks in. But I have learned to live with both problems with aplomb, sometimes good to face some daily adversity. Good luck.

Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:55 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:19 pm
get_g0ing wrote:

Looks interesting. I was also looking at the Academy brand Magellan:
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magell ... =111723754

Target has a couple that appear similar to those suggested above:

Not sure on the quality of these three, but I'm guessing they would be decent :happy

https://www.target.com/p/ello-11oz-stai ... nk=sametab
https://www.target.com/p/contigo-bueno- ... nk=sametab

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:59 pm

bstewie wrote:
bstewie,

1) No, mine is not $100. They are about $10 to $30 each.

2) I have quite a few of them.

<<Alternatively, drink your coffee quicker.>>

3) My gourmet coffee and tea cost a lot more than those mugs.

KlangFool

Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:50 pm

stufunds wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:28 am
get_g0ing wrote:
I like my coffee warm. And I like to drink it slowly in a regular mug. But it gets cold too fast for me . . . .

Hello get_g0ing,

I’m more of a tea drinker, by which I mean that I drink around six cups of tea whenever I am home all day. And if I’m burning the midnight oil on some odd project, I’ll drink even more.

My current “system,” consists of a 1.7 L, 1200 W Willsence Electric Kettle for heating the water and brewing the tea, and a 16 oz Burnout Travel Mug for cooling and consuming the tea. The Burnout Travel Mug uses a form of the phase change material (PCM) technology that others have referred to.

I’ve only been using this system for two months, but so far I’m happy with it. Post-brewing, the Burnout Travel Mug quickly brings my tea down to just about the right temperature (for me, at least), and keeps it there. I have yet to have my unfinished tea go cold in that mug, and this includes times when I’ve prepared a mug of warm/hot tea so it will be waiting for me when I come back from an evening out. (Sometimes I need to get it into my system ASAP.)

When I’m finally finished with the Burnout mug for the night, I fill it with cold water to absorb its residual heat. I’m not sure if you actually have to do that, but the PCM tech is that effective.

Unfortunately, I’m only using the minimum capacity of the Willsence Electric Kettle each time I make tea. I could make larger batches and keep the excess in the carafe, but my understanding is that the Willsence kettle can’t be set to keep liquids warm for longer than an hour.

If Burnout ever comes out with a larger capacity mug, I’ll be sure to get it. Or I could get a second 16 oz Burnout mug . . .

Prior to the Willsence Electric Kettle/Burnout Travel Mug solution, I was using microwave + 16 oz Cauldryn Coffee Smart Mug. The Cauldryn mug uses lithium-ion-powered heating technology.

It also came with Bluetooth connectivity so it could be controlled by a smartphone app. I opted not to use that feature.

While the Cauldryn mug could heat water on its own up to 212 F, I would pre-heat two cups of water in the microwave to save time, and let my tea brew in the mug. It still took awhile to get up to 212 F for black tea.

The problem I had with the Cauldryn mug was that the insulation was too good. It took forever for my tea to get down to a drinkable temperature. During the ten months before I destroyed the Cauldryn by accidentally sweeping it off my counter onto my hard kitchen floor, my tea consumption plummeted because I was always waiting for it to cool.

More subjectively, the Cauldryn also seemed to have a hard, industrial feel that I never felt comfortable about.

Bogleheads running the numbers on my tea brewing/consumption systems are probably horrified at this point, especially since I managed to wreck one of them. It may make them feel better to know that prior to the microwave/Cauldryn system, I was using microwave + cheap 34 oz foam insulated coffee mug. I’d used the microwave/cheap 34 oz mug system exclusively for at least three years, and I still use it when I don’t have access to a high-tech mug.

With the 34 oz insulated mug, I would (and still do) heat three cups of water in the microwave and let my tea brew in the mug.

With such an inexpensive mug, the temperature drops rapidly to drinking temperature, and continues dropping. After my experience with the Cauldryn, I’ve decided that having tea that drops to a drinkable temperature quickly is more important to me than having tea that stays hot for a long time.

Hope this information helps.

Sincerely,

-- stufunds
Hi, thanks for the detailed post. Really appreciate your input!

annebert

Post by annebert » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:58 pm

While coffee is brewing, I put 2-3 oz water in my mug, then microwave on high for 1 minute. Pour out the hot water and pour in the coffee. It will stay hot for quite a while - long enough to sit in bed and talk to the cats while I drink it.

WildBill

Post by WildBill » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:08 pm

jdb wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:45 pm
Problems abound. I have same issue with my morning coffee in my souvenir ceramic cup from the Met in NYC, too many good memories to use another. But have similar issue with my late afternoon early evening pre dinner chilled gin martini straight up in martini glass. It gets lukewarm too soon. I believe in the maxim keep caffeine buzz going until martini buzz kicks in. But I have learned to live with both problems with aplomb, sometimes good to face some daily adversity. Good luck.
Howdy

Your fortitude in the face of such unrelenting hardship is an inspiration to us all :D

Happy guzzling

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:00 pm

I have an RTic and a Yeti insulated tumbler. The RTIc works better than the Yeti. I can pour hot coffee into the RTic at 7AM and at 9AM it’s still too hot to drink comfortably. It works too well.

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:21 pm

I use a cone with paper filter that pours into a Zojirushi thermos with trigger release. That keeps the coffee hot for hours. Use a cup with a smaller mouth, so less heat escapes, and pour half a cup or less at a time.

MJS

Post by MJS » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:17 pm

jdb wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:45 pm
Problems abound.... But have similar issue with my late afternoon early evening pre dinner chilled gin martini straight up in martini glass. It gets lukewarm too soon....
Consider investing in heavy, cut-crystal martini glasses, kept in the freezer until needed. Waterford is offering a good deal: $39/2

bstewie

Post by bstewie » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:20 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:59 pm
bstewie wrote:
bstewie,

KlangFool
I won’t argue gourmet coffee tastes great, but I’ll happily drink my cheap mud through the work week :beer

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:26 pm

bstewie wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:20 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:59 pm
bstewie wrote:
bstewie,

KlangFool
I won’t argue gourmet coffee tastes great, but I’ll happily drink my cheap mud through the work week :beer
bstewie,

1) I work from home.

2) When I worked at the office, I brought my own coffee and 2 cups pour-over brewer.

3) When I traveled, I brought my own hand coffee grinder too.

4) I do not compromise on my coffee and tea. I would rather drink water than lousy coffee and tea.

KlangFool

chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:28 pm

Double walled glass mug. Lots of them on amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00GG0SMLM/ ... NrPXRydWU=

hsmith

Post by hsmith » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:38 pm

willardx wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:00 pm
I don't know what you consider to be a normal mug, but my parents got these and swear by them:

https://smile.amazon.com/Hydro-Flask-Tr ... NrPXRydWU=

My dad now keeps the lid off when he starts drinking his coffee/tea, it stays so hot. I'm sure there are other brands that do the same thing.

I wouldn't like a plug-in mug warmer because it's fixed in place, and maybe the cord is a tripping hazard.
+1 on the Hydroflask recommendation. I have several different types, including this type that I use for coffee:

https://smile.amazon.com/Hydro-Flask-St ... ay&sr=8-23

This type takes regular plastic drink tops for use in in the car or other locations where there is a risk of spills. They all have non-slip surfaces and they don’t get too hot to hold on the outside. I don’t know how they compare to the Yetis or the other brands mentioned above.

I also used to use a cup warmer at the office. It worked well, but if I got sidetracked on a call or something and left the cup on the warmer too long, the coffee sometimes became sludgy or even hardened.

Carter3

Post by Carter3 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:36 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:52 am
Go to your closest Walmart and get one of these:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail- ... /980790838

Coffee stays hot for 4,5,6 hours.

The tech in these tumblers is great. Yeti, Arcteryx, Pelican, Ozark Trail, they all function very similarly.

Hot stays hot. Cold stays cold. No sweating or perspiring or cup ring on the table.
^+1 where have you been. Problem solved for $6.97

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:44 am

Quick wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:56 am
Full disclosure: I do not have one and would never spend the money. However, if you want to drink out of a "regular" mug slowly that keeps coffee warm:

https://ember.com/products/ember-ceramic-mug
Dear wife got my one for my birthday.
I used it for a few days and then gave it to my mother in law.
I drink my coffee too fast that it would never get cold to begin with.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:26 am

willardx wrote:
I don't know what you consider to be a normal mug, but my parents got these and swear by them:

My dad now keeps the lid off when he starts drinking his coffee/tea, it stays so hot. I'm sure there are other brands that do the same thing.

I wouldn't like a plug-in mug warmer because it's fixed in place, and maybe the cord is a tripping hazard.
The Gods of Thermodynamics are angered when we heat up a liquid, allow it to cool, then reheat it. We are contributing to Entropy at an accelerated rate.

Plug-in mug warmers are a sign of a civilisation that has too much time on its hands ;-).

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:25 am

Sometimes Bogleheads can be a pretentious bunch! I am waiting for someone to post about drinking Kopi Luwak from a ceramic mug with one Joulie.

I drink my coffee from whichever mug is clean! I purchased some Vangaurd stainless steel mugs a few years ago, horrible quality. The painted exterior peeled quickly, mug is not insulated, and lid leaked.

If my coffee gets cold I just chug it, pretend it is iced coffee, or toss it and make fresh cup.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

WWJBDo

Post by WWJBDo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:40 am

I have 2 of the Mr. Coffee warmers and find them to be perfect, though if you are a coffee wanderer it's not a good option.

PSA (Public Service Announcement): If you are using the microwave to reheat coffee, a Panasonic (and only Panasonic, they have a patent on the technology to reduce the power level- other manufacturers stay on full power and reduce the percentage of time the unit is on full power instead of reducing the power itself) to 30% for reheating and it won't change the flavor of your coffee.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:53 am

get_g0ing wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:58 pm
So I was searching and looking at different mugs. What about Ceramic travel mugs like this one? Do these keep warm as well as the stainless steel ones (Yeti, Ozark) mentioned above:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Q3Z22U/re ... B018UX11NS

Thanks.
No. What makes the stainless ones work so well is the vacuum between the inner and outer wall. You can't have convection or conduction across a vacuum. Stainless steel has a low emissivity, so radiated heat transfer is limited as well.

deandv

Post by deandv » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:51 am

Luke Duke wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:53 am
get_g0ing wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:58 pm
So I was searching and looking at different mugs. What about Ceramic travel mugs like this one? Do these keep warm as well as the stainless steel ones (Yeti, Ozark) mentioned above:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Q3Z22U/re ... B018UX11NS

Thanks.
No. What makes the stainless ones work so well is the vacuum between the inner and outer wall. You can't have convection or conduction across a vacuum. Stainless steel has a low emissivity, so radiated heat transfer is limited as well.
And if you get a Zojirushi flask you also get a radiation shield between the two stainless walls, further reducing heat loss.

Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:52 am

WWJBDo wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:40 am
I have 2 of the Mr. Coffee warmers and find them to be perfect, though if you are a coffee wanderer it's not a good option.

PSA (Public Service Announcement): If you are using the microwave to reheat coffee, a Panasonic (and only Panasonic, they have a patent on the technology to reduce the power level- other manufacturers stay on full power and reduce the percentage of time the unit is on full power instead of reducing the power itself) to 30% for reheating and it won't change the flavor of your coffee.
Very interesting. So only Panasonic has this feature?

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:59 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:52 am
Go to your closest Walmart and get one of these:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail- ... /980790838

Coffee stays hot for 4,5,6 hours.

The tech in these tumblers is great. Yeti, Arcteryx, Pelican, Ozark Trail, they all function very similarly.

Hot stays hot. Cold stays cold. No sweating or perspiring or cup ring on the table.
Just had my first cup of coffee in one of these this morning. It worked exactly as I'd expected. I poured the piping hot cup at about 6:45a. By the time I got to the office at 8:15a, the (little remaining) coffee was warm enough to finish off. I enjoyed my commute listening to my audiobook sipping my warm coffee.

Thank you sir! :beer
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

deandv

Post by deandv » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:19 am

get_g0ing wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:23 pm

Thanks for the suggestions every one. I was not aware of any of these options before.

I am currently looking at Yeti, Ozark and Contigo mugs. Any thoughts on how these compare to each other.

Also does the stainless steel affect the taste? Are they easy to clean?

On the Yeti, it has a "magslider" lid, does Ozark have a similar lid?
The tech in all those mugs is the same, and the performance, for the same size/shape mug, will be within a percent or two. They're all stainless on the inside, so cleaning is the same (though Contigo offers models with a ceramic coating on the inside). You might have a preference for one lid over another. The Yeti Magslider lid is patented, so you won't find that on other mugs. It keeps your coffee from sloshing out, isn't leak-proof, but is easier to disassemble for cleaning than some lids. dean--mugmaker at Joeveo.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:45 am

StevieG72 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:25 am
Sometimes Bogleheads can be a pretentious bunch! I am waiting for someone to post about drinking Kopi Luwak from a ceramic mug with one Joulie.
One Joulie would likely be inadequate for a ceramic mug of typical size.

In a 12oz ceramic mug, your Kopi Luwak would likely benefit from three Joulies instead of just one.

Good luck!
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:58 am

KlangFool wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:08 pm
lotusflower wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
lotusflower wrote:
I have one of these

Fantastic.

KlangFool

1) I collect and do my research on coffee mugs. I have probably one or two of each type.

KlangFool
bloom2708 wrote:
get_g0ing wrote:

Bacchus01 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:00 pm
I have an RTic and a Yeti insulated tumbler. The RTIc works better than the Yeti. I can pour hot coffee into the RTic at 7AM and at 9AM it’s still too hot to drink comfortably. It works too well.
hsmith wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:38 pm
willardx wrote:

+1 on the Hydroflask recommendation. I have several different types, including this type that I use for coffee:

This type takes regular plastic drink tops for use in in the car or other locations where there is a risk of spills. They all have non-slip surfaces and they don’t get too hot to hold on the outside. I don’t know how they compare to the Yetis or the other brands mentioned above.

I also used to use a cup warmer at the office. It worked well, but if I got sidetracked on a call or something and left the cup on the warmer too long, the coffee sometimes became sludgy or even hardened.
Anyone have experience on the Yeti MagSlider lid vs the open lid? Wondering how much of a difference the closed MagSlider lid makes in keeping the drink warmer.

Teague

Post by Teague » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:58 pm

Move to a warmer climate.
Semper Augustus

minerlax4

Post by minerlax4 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:29 pm

get_g0ing wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:58 am
KlangFool wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:08 pm
lotusflower wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
lotusflower wrote:
I have one of these

Fantastic.

KlangFool

KlangFool
bloom2708 wrote:
get_g0ing wrote:

Bacchus01 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:00 pm
hsmith wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:38 pm
willardx wrote:

Anyone have experience on the Yeti MagSlider lid vs the open lid? Wondering how much of a difference the closed MagSlider lid makes in keeping the drink warmer.

If you don't mind waiting on the slow boat from China, you can get various lid styles cheap on ebay. The diameter on the ozark trail and magellan match the yeti. Apprently RTIC matches as well, but I don't have any RTIC to confirm. I haven't paid attention to whether the lids without a hole keep the drink warmer appreciably longer. I got them mainly to reduce spills.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Splash-Proof-S ... 3748979287

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Splash-Spill-P ... 0y5a2FF8jQ

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:56 pm

deandv wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:19 am
get_g0ing wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions every one. I was not aware of any of these options before.

I am currently looking at Yeti, Ozark and Contigo mugs. Any thoughts on how these compare to each other.

The tech in all those mugs is the same, and the performance, for the same size/shape mug, will be within a percent or two. They're all stainless on the inside, so cleaning is the same (though Contigo offers models with a ceramic coating on the inside). You might have a preference for one lid over another. The Yeti Magslider lid is patented, so you won't find that on other mugs. It keeps your coffee from sloshing out, isn't leak-proof, but is easier to disassemble for cleaning than some lids. dean--mugmaker at Joeveo.
To clarify, the Zojirushi carafe is not stainless on the inside. It's the kind of glass that one finds in a thermos. I dropped one a few years ago and it shattered.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:59 pm

get_g0ing wrote:
Hello friends,

Travel thermo mug.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

WWJBDo

Post by WWJBDo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:00 pm

get_g0ing wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:52 am
WWJBDo wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:40 am

Very interesting. So only Panasonic has this feature?
Yes, only Panasonic does have this- at least the last time looked- about 2 years ago. If you listen, you can hear the other units that use 'time division of full power' when the magnetron goes on and off. With the Pansonic, it stays on a level uniform, diminished power level. It' smuch better and for some reason they don't advertise it.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:00 pm

Personally I can take a long time to drink my coffee. Hot, warm, cold. It does not matter.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

deandv

Post by deandv » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:41 pm

anonenigma wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:56 pm
deandv wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:19 am
get_g0ing wrote:

To clarify, the Zojirushi carafe is not stainless on the inside. It's the kind of glass that one finds in a thermos. I dropped one a few years ago and it shattered.
I'm talking about their stainless flasks/mugs. My understanding is that they offer either an electropolished finish or a teflon finish for the interior stainless surface. d.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:17 pm

get_g0ing wrote:
Hello friends,

Do you drink out of a shallow mug with a wide top?
The more surface area exposed to air relative to the volume, the faster your coffee will cool.
A taller cup or mug with a relatively narrow top will hold the heat of its contents longer.

You might also consider covering the top of the cup with the saucer, or anything else you can find, between sips to reduce cooling.

There are many higher tech solutions (like the Zojirushi described above-they make an excellent traveling mug), but when you are relaxing at home you probably want something more comfortable to drink from and are willing to compromise function a bit for form.

Or just switch to iced coffee this time of year.