Alumni donations to help children get into college

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
novemberrain

Alumni donations to help children get into college

Post by novemberrain » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:20 pm

Me and my wife both get solicitations to donate to our respective alma mater. Does it help my kids chances to get into the same college if I donate to those universities ? I mean via "legacy admissions". Say one or two thousand dollars per year. My kids have another 15 years to go before college. So
2 kids x 15 years x 3 alumni organizations = $90k in total

PS. I would humbly request to kindly leave out any ethical/moral discussions.
Last edited by novemberrain on Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

strafe

Re: Alumni donations to help children get into college

Post by strafe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:21 pm

Only if you staple your annual giving receipt to the application. Otherwise they might miss the connection.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:27 pm

In my experience, no it doesn't, but I didn't expect that it would. I give to help other students ... just as I was helped.

In my experience, legacy doesn't help either.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:33 pm

novemberrain wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:20 pm
Me and my wife both get solicitations to donate to our respective alma mater. Does it help my kids chances to get into the same college if I donate to those universities ? I mean via "legacy admissions". Say one or two thousand dollars per year.

Give enough for a new wing to the library (or an entirely new library), and they may well give your child(ren) a second look.
However, these days, after what has already happened, I'd guess they are more likely to keep it all by the book (and not your checkbook, I mean).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:35 pm

In my experience, legacy can help a little to have your child considered. Contributions? Not unless you are sponsoring a building, quad, etc. Even then it’s handled carefully in this environment.

downshiftme

Post by downshiftme » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:20 pm

In my experience, they know exactly what you gave and when. Unless it's something major, it will have little effect on admissions. But that also means you will get little benefit from being a legacy either.

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:26 pm

As others have said, one or two thousand a year probably won't make a difference. You have to donate much more than that for it to really help you.

decapod10

Post by decapod10 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:55 pm

Just from what I read on the internet (so highly questionable accuracy), you need to donate 7 figures minimum to even be in the conversation, sometimes 8 figures.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:30 pm

My alma mater is an open enrollment university, meaning they take everyone who meets the basic requirements which are quite low.

I'm pretty certain that if I make a $1,000 gift, both of my daughters will be accepted in the university if they apply.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:11 am

It would be more effective to create at home an environment where learning and hard work are valued. Parents need to model the kinds of behaviors they want their kids to have. That's more likely to increase the chance of admission, through strong grades, strong writing skills (essay), and strong references. If you don't do that, your child is more likely to just waste any money you pay on tuition.

Additionally, your child may not want to go to the college you went to.

At many private schools, legacy ties will help a bit with getting admitted. They don't want the family's dollars going to other schools - they think long term, like donated IRAs after death. Less likely to help at public schools.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:35 am

Legacy, at elites, will generally give you a "second read." That's not much, but it does put the thumb on the scale.

Donations, as mentioned upstream, are not usually considered unless they're really large, and even those large ones don't always swing admissions. We know kids at an Ivy whose surname was on buildings; they still met the minimum requirements for admission.
https://www.educationdive.com/news/through-the-back-door-how-much-influence-do-donations-have-on-admissions/551528/ wrote:But the back door of donations and college relationships isn't a bribe. It's neither illegal nor certain. Dannenberg said he has seen situations where an Ivy League institution "turned down a student whose parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, great-great-grandparents, were all legacies, and the parents had donated significant money and were in a position to continue to donate significant money."
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:48 am

First with the high degree of competition at "elite" universities and second more lately with publicly visible criminal fraud cases involving high profile people this trick that might have worked 40 years ago is dead at least for now (even if your last name is Sinatra or Schwarzenegger). I do expect Gates and Jobs kids get in where they want to go.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:56 am

novemberrain wrote:
Does it help my kids chances to get into the college if I donate to those universities ? Say one or two thousand dollars per year.
No.

Now, if you were a politician with national recognition, different story - sometimes.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:24 am

RadAudit wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:56 am
novemberrain wrote:
Does it help my kids chances to get into the college if I donate to those universities ? Say one or two thousand dollars per year.
No.

Now, if you were a politician with national recognition, different story - sometimes.
Or Hollywood actress.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

jminv

Post by jminv » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:39 am

Many schools will give preferential admissions to legacies without any gifting required. Student still needs to be competitive and legacy preference depends on school. Check how it works at yours.

For donations, yes, it can but you normally have to do more than contribute 1-2k/year. Try to get on a board/committee to get face time and/or donate more. Even if you don't do the board/committee meet with the giving office to discuss your donation plans later in life and go to the events they invite you to for gifting so you can meet others, including those on admission. You can use your face time to mention your grandchild is applying and how much you are looking forward to them going to the same school you did. Normally, the student's application will also ask if they had a relative that went to the school, make sure that the student selects it so that the admissions office connects the two and also so they get legacy preference, completely apart from the donation aspect. Keep in mind that donations are not officially linked to admission decisions but they often clearly do play a role. Schools have a motivation to offer rewards beyond inclusion in the alumni newsletter, events, and the like and donors have motives that go beyond tax deductions and warm feelings for their alma matter. I have also personally seen a large donation that was pretty clearly timed to keep a child who was already in school, enrolled after disciplinary action that was going to lead to expulsion.

Interesting that people here think that with the latest publicity that donation based admission is dead. It definitely isn't and what went wrong there was bribing individuals in order for them to take a specific action. They wanted to do it on the cheap (ie not pay for a building) and/or they didn't have the connections they needed. The legal, accepted route is to donate to the school and/or get onto different committees without any promise of action but conveniently the desired action often happens.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:52 am

Take a look at the Selective Colleges thread, where this (and much more) is discussed in detail: viewtopic.php?t=288354

Short answer to your question: Not for the amount you mentioned. Not even close - to influence admissions you need to donate enough to get a building or maybe professorship named after you.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:08 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:33 pm
novemberrain wrote:
Me and my wife both get solicitations to donate to our respective alma mater. Does it help my kids chances to get into the same college if I donate to those universities ? I mean via "legacy admissions". Say one or two thousand dollars per year.

Give enough for a new wing to the library (or an entirely new library), and they may well give your child(ren) a second look.
However, these days, after what has already happened, I'd guess they are more likely to keep it all by the book (and not your checkbook, I mean).

RM
My boss personally gave the athletic department of local U (FWIW, he is not an alum) $1M a few years ago and then this year our company (of which he is one of 4 founders) donated an 8-figure amount (one of the science buildings will now be named after our employer). Nonetheless, his son, who is a really good student, I believe top-10 in his high school class, was not accepted. He is just a tad bitter about it. This is hardly an elite university, although it does hold cache in this area.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:19 am

^ wow. Any idea how the kid feels about it? Probably thought he was a mortal lock.

BillWalters

Post by BillWalters » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:39 am

Per a friend who worked in development at a top ivy, HYS don’t even track alumni donations below $50k a year.

These schools don’t really pay attention until you’re high 9 figures. It’s pretty obvious they still let in unqualified students at that level of wealth.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:01 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:19 am
^ wow. Any idea how the kid feels about it? Probably thought he was a mortal lock.
His son is one of my QA lab interns. I don't think he cares at all, he's a smart kid who isn't oblivious to the fact that he'll never actually have to work in his life. He's a joy to have in the lab and seems to be really happy at "the other school across town", which actually has a better microbiology department than the more prestigious school that turned him down. Dad, yeah he is pissed; cancelled his football and basketball season tickets and has said he isn't giving them another penny...and he openly mentions it about every other meeting we have.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:12 am

Stoptothink, I’m glad the kid is a gracious and smart kid, but it must sting a bit that Dad values his humble brag more than his child’s feelings (ie, “I gave them a mil and they still wouldn’t accept my kid” isn’t exactly something you’d want your father discussing around town).

SchruteB&B

Post by SchruteB&B » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:14 am

This last admission cycle, had family friends with a daughter applying to a non Ivy, but top 10 US News college. The mom was a legacy and had given maybe $1 million in donations over the last 15years. Her daughter was an accomplished varsity athlete and in the top 1% of her high school class and SAT scores. She was denied. My guess was if she had applied Early Decision she probably would have had a better outcome. I have read/heard that the legacy/donation card is best played at Early Decision.

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:20 am

I read the request from the topic author, but with respect, kids should get in of their own merit, not because their parents have money and perceived influence. We’re supposed to be a meritocracy, not some dynastic culture. How much does it really even matter where someone goes for undergraduate study (after some point). What’s the real motivation here? To avoid buying new bumper stickers and regalia for a different school?

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:23 am

I have read/heard that the legacy/donation card is best played at Early Decision.
Yes, especially since this family probably did not have to worry about the financial aid issue (if you meant Early Decision (ED) rather than Early Action (EA)). It’s not advisable to apply ED if aid is an issue, although insufficient aid is an acceptable get-out-of-jail card according to some.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:32 am

Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:20 am
I read the request from the topic author, but with respect, kids should get in of their own merit, not because their parents have money and perceived influence. We’re supposed to be a meritocracy, not some dynastic culture. How much does it really even matter where someone goes for undergraduate study (after some point). What’s the real motivation here? To avoid buying new bumper stickers and regalia for a different school?
OP was just asking, and is probably not starting a dynasty :D . There are completely aboveboard instances that would lead to asking the OP’s question. For example, I have never met anyone who graduated from UMichigan who didn’t love the school and want their kids to attend. If they felt a grand or two would make a difference, they would contribute, and probably do so regardless.

In any case, OP’s request wasn’t so outrageous that it couldn’t be honored. Just my 2 cents.

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:49 am

My point was not really about any sinister intentions. Most everyone does it out of love for their children and / or the school, but for every child that gets preferential treatment because of parental money, another child from more modest means is unintentionally unfairly disadvantaged. Kids coming from a background where their parents are in a position to make multi-thousand dollar donations to an educational institution already have enough legs up in life. If they can’t get accepted on their own merits and worth, take a tough lesson, settle for something less than the perceived ideal, and move on with life. It doesn’t even matter.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:52 am

novemberrain wrote:

I reckon if you have the connections you already know the answer. If you have to ask the question on a forum the answer is no.

Topic Author
novemberrain

Post by novemberrain » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:47 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:32 am
OP was just asking, and is probably not starting a dynasty :D . There are completely aboveboard instances that would lead to asking the OP’s question. For example, I have never met anyone who graduated from UMichigan who didn’t love the school and want their kids to attend. If they felt a grand or two would make a difference, they would contribute, and probably do so regardless.

In any case, OP’s request wasn’t so outrageous that it couldn’t be honored. Just my 2 cents.
Thank you !

Topic Author
novemberrain

Post by novemberrain » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:47 pm

Thanks everyone.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:33 am

Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:20 am
I fear that ideal is not how the "meritocratic" US of A works. Ideals are all very well but people are thinking of the opportunities for their children in a highly competitive world.

I taught some of the graduates of Britain's finest universities and I could see plainly how the system worked. Oxbridge is a clique beyond cliques. And all 3 of our last prime ministers went to Oxford and 2 to the same high school, one year apart in class (Eton). The third was the wrong gender for Eton;-)

Interestingly the leader of the opposition is also a graduate of a fee-paying "public" school ;-).
Last edited by Valuethinker on Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:44 am

novemberrain wrote:
Me and my wife both get solicitations to donate to our respective alma mater. Does it help my kids chances to get into the same college if I donate to those universities ? I mean via "legacy admissions". Say one or two thousand dollars per year. My kids have another 15 years to go before college. So

What makes you think your kids will want to go to your alma mater? None of my friend's kids have. In fact, I have friends who both graduated from Clemson with Engineering degrees. Their son was set on an engineering career and didn't chose either Clemson or NC State (which would have been in-state tuition).

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:27 am

cherijoh wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:44 am
novemberrain wrote:

What makes you think your kids will want to go to your alma mater? None of my friend's kids have. In fact, I have friends who both graduated from Clemson with Engineering degrees. Their son was set on an engineering career and didn't chose either Clemson or NC State (which would have been in-state tuition).
That can be determined over the next 15 years. :D

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:34 pm

BillWalters wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:39 am
These schools don’t really pay attention until you’re high 9 figures. It’s pretty obvious they still let in unqualified students at that level of wealth.
This seems hyperbolic. How many institutions in the Inited States — even elite ones — have received multiple nine-figure gifts? How many have received even one?

This list includes about 230 gifts of this size since 1967, most of exactly $100M. A few institutions have received multiple gifts of this size, including my wealthy alma mater.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Major ... her/128264

Andy.

BillWalters

Post by BillWalters » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:34 pm

I meant net worth, not gift amount. Jared Kushner got into Harvard for a measly few million bucks despite being laughably unqualified.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:07 pm

That makes perfect sense. I’m sorry I misunderstood your post.

Andy.

TheDDC

Post by TheDDC » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:15 pm

novemberrain wrote:

Why? What's the point? Why that school? Is it an ego thing?

-TheDDC
Refreshingly, a double barrel shotgun blast of truth... | Rules to wealth building: 100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to health care industrial complex

Topic Author
novemberrain

Post by novemberrain » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:34 pm

TheDDC wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:15 pm
Is it an ego thing?

-TheDDC
Ok, you caught me. Now I will go sit in a corner and think about what I have done.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:50 am

cherijoh wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:44 am
'...What makes you think your kids will want to go to your alma mater?....
If I knew then what I know now about my alma mater I wouldn't have gone there myself, and I wouldn't have wanted my kids going there. Fortunately they didn't.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:17 am

The legacy connection can be very helpful at some schools, and no advantage at others. It really depends.

As for donating, I agree that you probably need a building with your name on it for it to really make a big difference. It probably can't hurt to make token contributions a year so that you are counted as an active and involved alum, but I doubt it really matters if you are giving $1,000 a year or $10,000 for such purposes.

CheCha54

Post by CheCha54 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:37 am

I would not forecast where my child wants to go to college if at all. Save the money and let the child earn their way to the college of their choice within your budget. Two many variables to make that bet on both the school and the child.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:40 am

At my alma mater, an elite SLAC, the admission rate for legacy applicants is about 2X higher than the overall rate.

The Admissions Dean says there is no legacy preference and explains the statistics by saying that the alumni applicant pool is significantly stronger than the overall pool.

I have no way to know whether this explanation is true, although I also have no reason to doubt it.

Andy.

alfaspider wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:17 am
The legacy connection can be very helpful at some schools, and no advantage at others. It really depends.

As for donating, I agree that you probably need a building with your name on it for it to really make a big difference. It probably can't hurt to make token contributions a year so that you are counted as an active and involved alum, but I doubt it really matters if you are giving $1,000 a year or $10,000 for such purposes.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:43 am

PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:40 am
At my alma mater, an elite SLAC, the admission rate for legacy applicants is about 2X higher than the overall rate.

The Admissions Dean says there is no legacy preference and explains the statistics by saying that the alumni applicant pool is significantly stronger than the overall pool.

I have no way to know whether this explanation is true, although I also have no reason to doubt it.

Andy.

alfaspider wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:17 am

It would be possible to measure pool strength in ways that would strengthen the legacy admits?

Then that statement would not be untrue, even though it would mean legacy admits are favoured?

jcavana1

Post by jcavana1 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:18 am

I have had a few connections in the "development" dept at a top 10 endowment school. As people have said, several 100k will get your kid a boost. $1 million+ will get a huge boost.

I would bet that most schools keep a list of everyone who has donated money, but I would assume that a few thousand dollars isn't enough to make any impact.

Lazareth

Post by Lazareth » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:23 am

A friend and colleague had been an active UMass alumnus, donor, and fund-raiser for decades (class of '74). He sat on alumni and fund-raising committees, and he was that guy wearing the apron and cooking burgers in the alumni tent at the homecoming weekend. When it came time for their only child to apply, a stand out high school student, U-Mass had other priorities and the boy's application was not accepted.
a/65, retired, married, enjoy p/t employment. AA: 55/45 s/b, no debt.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:28 am

This thread got me thinking about a former boss, a business owner. He showed me baby pictures of the latest addition to his family. As he put them away he mused that all his hard work was, basically, to enable him to support his family. I was somewhat struck by the comment as he had clearly already achieved some degree of financial independence.

Fast forward 10+ years. His firm got acquired by an S&P 500 company, and he's now among the Forbes 400. He has made sizable gifts to educational institutions (hint: HYS caliber), including a teaching hospital. Any idea where his kids ended up for college and, now, medical school?

And to think that I had naively marveled about the need to work so hard to help his kids :oops:

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:14 am

rjbraun wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:28 am
This thread got me thinking about a former boss, a business owner. He showed me baby pictures of the latest addition to his family. As he put them away he mused that all his hard work was, basically, to enable him to support his family. I was somewhat struck by the comment as he had clearly already achieved some degree of financial independence.

Fast forward 10+ years. His firm got acquired by an S&P 500 company, and he's now among the Forbes 400. He has made sizable gifts to educational institutions (hint: HYS caliber), including a teaching hospital. Any idea where his kids ended up for college and, now, medical school?

And to think that I had naively marveled about the need to work so hard to help his kids :oops:
What does HYS stand for?

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:18 am

Lazareth wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:23 am
A friend and colleague had been an active UMass alumnus, donor, and fund-raiser for decades (class of '74). He sat on alumni and fund-raising committees, and he was that guy wearing the apron and cooking burgers in the alumni tent at the homecoming weekend. When it came time for their only child to apply, a stand out high school student, U-Mass had other priorities and the boy's application was not accepted.
I really question how much of a stand out high school student he was. UMass will generally accept any true stand out student, legacy or not. A lot of people claim their child is a stand out student and make others believe it, but in fact there are serious deficiencies and/or they really aren't all that.

I worked for the parent of one of my schoolmates, and his mother always embellished her son's achievements. Bumped up his SAT scores by over 100 points, claimed he was top 10% when in fact he was maybe top 20-30%.
Last edited by sawhorse on Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:19 am

What does HYS stand for?
Most often referred to as HYPMS: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Stanford.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:37 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:19 am
What does HYS stand for?
Most often referred to as HYPMS: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Stanford.
Yes -- I meant "Harvard-Yale-Stanford" caliber, of which, fwiw (for what it's worth), I would also include Princeton and MIT.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:55 am

stoptothink wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:08 am
[...]
My boss personally gave the athletic department of local U (FWIW, he is not an alum) $1M a few years ago and then this year our company (of which he is one of 4 founders) donated an 8-figure amount (one of the science buildings will now be named after our employer). Nonetheless, his son, who is a really good student, I believe top-10 in his high school class, was not accepted. He is just a tad bitter about it. This is hardly an elite university, although it does hold cache in this area.
That's really strange - I'm assuming it's not "just a local U" but a highly selective one. Else I don't see how a top 10 kid wouldn't even get admission (donations notwithstanding)!