Honda CRV, Accord, or Toyota RAV? UPDATE

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
IowaFarmWife

Honda CRV, Accord, or Toyota RAV? UPDATE

Post by IowaFarmWife » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:33 pm

Af few weeks ago, my 82 year old mother was in a car accident (not her fault), and is in need of a new(ish) car. The other driver's insurance company gave her $4300.00 toward the purchase of a new car, and she would like to make a purchase soon as possible because she has been without a car since the accident. She has been very happy with her Hondas, and has had Accords and Civics for the past 30+ years. She is asking for my advice on what car to buy now- Accord, Civic, CRV, or possibly a Toyota RAV. She lives in a large city with a lot of hills, and winter driving in the upper midwest can be challenging. I am leaning toward recommending a CRV or the RAV due to the AWD feature, hoping that would help her in the winter time with the hills in her neighborhood as her old Accord sometimes had difficulty getting up and down the hills in bad weather. She also has some mobility issues due to a bad back, and needs a car that is easy to get in and out of. Do any of you have any strong recommendations for her? Thanks so much. :)
Last edited by IowaFarmWife on Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” —Will Rogers

UpperNwGuy

Re: Honda CRV, Accord, or Toyota RAV?

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:41 pm

I would go with the all-wheel drive version of the RAV. It would satisfy her need to climb hills in the snow, but it would not have the same risk of engine problems as the CRV.

megabad

Post by megabad » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:52 pm

IowaFarmWife wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:33 pm
..my 82 year old mother...
High five to her for going strong. We had to start taking keys away at 80 unfortunately.

I would lean RAV4. No known oil problems like the CRV and a little safer than the Accord (well for her, more dangerous for everyone else on the road).

emoore

Post by emoore » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:03 pm

New or used? If new I'd consider the Rav4 Hybrid. Great mpg especially in the city. If used you can find an older Rav4 hybrid or regular ICE and that would work too. I've never been a Honda fan and especially not after the issues they have been having with their turbo engines.

almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:06 pm

For small SUVs, I think the Suburu Forrester is a good choice. It is significantly better than any car in its class based on CR ratings. It may not be quite as reliable as a Toyota, however.

billfromct

Post by billfromct » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:15 pm

What about the Subaru Forester? All Subarus have all wheel drive. It's also less expensive than the all wheel drive RAV4 & CRV.

Consumer Reports rates it the highest compact SUV ahead of the RAV4 & CRV & mentioned that it is the best SUV for older people because it is easiest to enter & has great driver visibility.

I have a Camry now (very low to the ground) but my next vehicle will be a Forester or RAV4.

I believe there are good deals on 2019 model year vehicles now.

bill

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:17 pm

Either of the compact SUVs is a good choice. I think they are much better for seniors than a sedan like the Accord - the seating position makes entry/exit much easier. Only the 2017 and later of the CR-V is affected by the oil dilution issue, and then only the 1.5L turbo engine.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:34 pm

almostretired1965 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:06 pm
For small SUVs, I think the Suburu Forrester is a good choice. It is significantly better than any car in its class based on CR ratings. It may not be quite as reliable as a Toyota, however.
You can take the Rav4, CRV, CX-5, Tuscon, and Forester and pick names out of a hat and get a good choice. They are all pretty decent cars with slightly different strengths and weakness. After driving them I think the Forrester is by far the worse (None of them are speed demons, but the forester is really slow. Merges are push and pray. It is also a bit loud.) of the group but it is definitely a car that you can live with. They are all going to have good enough AWD systems to handle any city driving she will be doing, you can get them with all the modern safety tech, and the gas costs are going to be very close for someone driving <5 years (she is 82. Odds are stacked against needing this car for 10 years) and probably low mileage.

I might vote for the CRV just because it is sort of what she is used. Only a very small percentage of people are getting hit by the oil dilution stuff which may or may not have been fixed. Buy a preTurbo model if it keeps you up at night. But I would definitely go sit in them all. Things entry height and seating position are similar but it is the type of thing where 1" either way might swing your opinion of which one to get. Or finding out you can get one for say 3k cheaper the way you want it equipped than the alternatives.

I would think about buying new enough for AEB and blindspot/cross traffic monitoring systems. That would really limit how old you can go (about 2016 or so) and if she does any night time driving, look at the IIHS.org headlight ratings. Don't take them as gospel but think of it as one more thing you should test drive.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:45 pm

At her age, I would think that her ability to get in/out of the vehicle is of utmost importance. Also, position of controls and the position of control on the dash should be considered. Lastly, her preference for a trunk versus a cargo area. Comfort + function

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:05 pm

IowaFarmWife - I am same age as your mother and was in the market for a new SUV/Crossover. Based on a special article comments in the April 2018 issue of Consumer Reports magazine concerning best cars for seniors, I started looking at the Subaru Forester and Outback as a replacement for my 4-cyl, 2010 FWD Toyota Venza. Both Subaru's are rated at the top as best cars for seniors.

I was strongly considering the Forester but finally recognized my desire for a little larger vehicle with a stronger 6-cyl engine was a better choice for me and four weeks ago I purchased a 2019 Subaru Outback in the "Touring" trim line and the 3.6R engine. Having had a 4-cyl for nine years and two previous VW Passat wagons with the 6-cyl equivalent engines, I am very pleased with my new purchase. There is a big difference between the 4 and 6 cylinder engines, but then she may not be concerned with that. Visibility and ease of entrance/exit is probably more on her mind than zipping around town.

Edited: After rereading your post I realized you may not be looking for a current model car for her, but at least give some consideration to the enhanced safety features on cars the last few years. Safety features is the reason I went to a new model from a 2010 that only had 43K miles on it.
Last edited by tomd37 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom D.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:17 pm

IowaFarmWife wrote:
Af few weeks ago, my 82 year old mother was in a car accident (not her fault), and is in need of a new(ish) car. The other driver's insurance company gave her $4300.00 toward the purchase of a new car, and she would like to make a purchase soon as possible because she has been without a car since the accident. She has been very happy with her Hondas, and has had Accords and Civics for the past 30+ years. She is asking for my advice on what car to buy now- Accord, Civic, CRV, or possibly a Toyota RAV. She lives in a large city with a lot of hills, and winter driving in the upper midwest can be challenging. I am leaning toward recommending a CRV or the RAV due to the AWD feature, hoping that would help her in the winter time with the hills in her neighborhood as her old Accord sometimes had difficulty getting up and down the hills in bad weather. She also has some mobility issues due to a bad back, and needs a car that is easy to get in and out of. Do any of you have any strong recommendations for her? Thanks so much. :)
I recommend the Toyota RAV4.

maroon

Post by maroon » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:54 pm

Of the presented choices, I'd suggest the Toyota RAV. But the better choice is the Subaru Forester. It's easy to drive, with great visibility and very capable AWD. (Disclaimer: I own a Forester.)

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:55 pm

I’m someone nowhere near 83 years old, but I find that after driving Honda and Acura vehicles for the past 25 years that the layout of other brands feels weird.

It takes a non-negligible amount of time to adjust to new locations of switches, indicators, levers etc. when I rent a different car even well-designed cars.

IOW, buy another Honda.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:57 pm

tomd37 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:05 pm
IowaFarmWife - I am same age as your mother and was in the market for a new SUV/Crossover. Based on a special article comments in the April 2018 issue of Consumer Reports magazine concerning best cars for seniors, I started looking at the Subaru Forester and Outback as a replacement for my 4-cyl, 2010 FWD Toyota Venza. Both Subaru's are rated at the top as best cars for seniors.

I was strongly considering the Forester but finally recognized my desire for a little larger vehicle with a stronger 6-cyl engine was a better choice for me and four weeks ago I purchased a 2019 Subaru Outback in the "Touring" trim line and the 3.6R engine. Having had a 4-cyl for nine years and two previous VW Passat wagons with the 6-cyl equivalent engines, I am very pleased with my new purchase. There is a big difference between the 4 and 6 cylinder engines, but then she may not be concerned with that. Visibility and ease of entrance/exit is probably more on her mind than zipping around town.
depends on the 4 cyl, the CX-5 4cyl turbo is faster than the Outback 3.6. 0-60 in 6.4 sec compared to 6.9

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:35 pm

One-half second does not make a difference to me at 82 years of age. :wink:
Tom D.

vshun

Post by vshun » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:40 pm

I bought Accord. Coming from Outback, I expected to have a problem with sports equipment and was surprised I can fit inside kayak (playboat) or 29 mountain bike (front wheel off) or hockey equipment for 2 players. Fuel gauge shows I averaged 40mlg on 15T over 20K miles commuting/dunning errands in DC suburbs (this is over 2 summers 1 winter so with one more winter it would drop a bit). It drives way better than Crossover or wagon like Outback and handles better, is quieter and acceleration pretty good. Electronics and controls are superb. I would go for it again over CRV (and denitinely not RAV, just read CR review or see Toyota bland interior or lack of Android Auto), though new Outback is attractive as well.

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:58 pm

The current accord has a very low stance. You almost feel like you are falling into the car. I imagine it could be difficult to get in and out of for someone your mother's age.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:40 pm

tomd37 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:35 pm
But the 3s of a 4 cylc Forester does?:) For nonperformance cars, you are either fast enough or your too slow. For me about 9s is the line. Below that I don't really care much. Lack of power tends to only show up when trying to pass quickly at 45+ mph. Not something that happens very often. Above that and merging into 65+mph traffic can get hairy with the visibility and length of the various on ramps. You can do it by why put up with the inconvenience?

Topic Author
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:12 pm

Thank you all for your advice. I will share this information with her tomorrow. It sounds like she is going to go shopping on Monday....I'm curious to see what she ultimately decides on purchasing!
“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” —Will Rogers

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:07 am

IowaFarmWife wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:12 pm
Thank you all for your advice. I will share this information with her tomorrow. It sounds like she is going to go shopping on Monday....I'm curious to see what she ultimately decides on purchasing!
Good luck to her on the purchase------if you can, circle back and let us know what the purchase decision is.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:34 am

tomd37 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:35 pm
just pointing out that there isn't a "big difference" between all 4cyl and 6cyl engines...depending on which 4cyl you choose.

raoul

Post by raoul » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:58 am

Laughing at all of this advice because I have 2 Honda CRVs. One is a 2007 EX and the other is a 2011 LX. Running great. Any questions? LOL

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:45 am

IowaFarmWife wrote:
She lives in a large city with a lot of hills, and winter driving in the upper midwest can be challenging. I am leaning toward recommending a CRV or the RAV due to the AWD feature, hoping that would help her in the winter time with the hills in her neighborhood as her old Accord sometimes had difficulty getting up and down the hills in bad weather.
She's 82, I would say that maybe she should just stay home in bad weather? While AWD will help go in snow, it will not help stop and is not safer. In fact, I think it can give a false sense of security and lead to unsafe driving in bad weather.

I have lived in the midwest all my life and have never had AWD, it's never been a problem. Now being retired, it's even less likely to be worth while to us as we prefer to just not drive when there is snow or ice on the roads, they get plowed and salted pretty quickly around here. We happen to have just bought a new Santa Fe and we chose FWD. This was the first time that we were buying a vehicle where AWD was even a choice and we went out of our way to not have it, as it is a lot easier to find AWD at dealers around here.

She may still want the crossover type vehicle for easier entry and exit.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:55 am

vshun wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:40 pm
I bought Accord. Coming from Outback, I expected to have a problem with sports equipment and was surprised I can fit inside kayak (playboat) or 29 mountain bike (front wheel off) or hockey equipment for 2 players.
How recent is the model you bought, because they are all going to mail-slot like trunks. Capacity is there, but the access portal has become ridiculous. Trunk access is one of the major reasons that we just went the other direction, from sedans to crossover.

Why we didn't buy a sedan in one photo:

Topic Author
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:12 pm

Sconie wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:07 am
IowaFarmWife wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:12 pm
Good luck to her on the purchase------if you can, circle back and let us know what the purchase decision is.
Will do!

vshun

Post by vshun » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:18 pm

jeffyscott wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:55 am
vshun wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:40 pm
I bought Accord. Coming from Outback, I expected to have a problem with sports equipment and was surprised I can fit inside kayak (playboat) or 29 mountain bike (front wheel off) or hockey equipment for 2 players.
How recent is the model you bought, because they are all going to mail-slot like trunks. Capacity is there, but the access portal has become ridiculous. Trunk access is one of the major reasons that we just went the other direction, from sedans to crossover.

Why we didn't buy a sedan in one photo:
Mine is 2018 (equivalent to the latest year). Cavernous tank and fits more than competitors sedans in a segment while driving and handling better better. Engineer in me appreciates all the advancements this car made over its competition. As I said, I was surprised that kayak fits in with paddle and all the kayaking gear, with rear seats loaded, so I did not have to buy roof rack and bike rack. If I have to carry 2 kayaks or 2 bikes I would take wife's minivan though, it would not fit easily into the trunk, though I did not try hard.

CULater

Post by CULater » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:00 pm

Don't know if you are considering this, but I think I'd avoid a small turbo engine if you can. The CRV introduced that engine in the 2017 model, but you can get the base version with a non-turbo engine; however, you give up some of the safety options if you go that route. The RAV4 doesn't use a turbo engine at all, so that's a plus in my mind. Also, most Toyotas avoid full direct fuel injection which is also questionable in my mind. They tend to use dual port and direct injection, relying mostly on port injection. Direct injected engines can be prone to carbon buildup on the valves over time, which can be a maintenance issue especially after the car goes out of warranty. Based on this, I see the Toyota as having better long term reliability than the Hondas, especially the ones with the turbo engine.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

cfaboy

Post by cfaboy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:00 am

To CULater's pt: Does anyone have any intel on the newer Accord engines? They are turbos but for example do they have (or have the prospect of having) the oil dilution issue that some of the newer CRVs suffer from?

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:04 am

cfaboy wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:00 am
To CULater's pt: Does anyone have any intel on the newer Accord engines? They are turbos but for example do they have (or have the prospect of having) the oil dilution issue that some of the newer CRVs suffer from?
It's the same engine, isn't it, 1.5L turbo?

Anyway, I read some things indicating they have modified the engine programming to get it to warm up faster. But in reading about this, it seems that turbos, in general, are more susceptible than naturally aspirated engines to having greater oil dilution issues in cold weather (maybe in particular with short trips?).

It was not a deciding factor for us, I did not even read about it until after our vehicle decision had been made. But I did have a slight preference for non-turbo engines, in any case, just because it seems like turbos generally have more issues, plus they "prefer" and are rated using premium gas even if they don't require it.

Getting a non-turbo was kinda a reverse catch-22 in our case, since we bought a Hyundai and so have 10 years of coverage on the engine :) .

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:09 am

IowaFarmWife wrote:
Do any of you have any strong recommendations for her?
My Iowa 90 yo grandmother got a RAV4 AWD for all the reasons you mentioned. Previously she had a Nissan Altima which ran well and she liked driving it but found it to be more difficult to get in and out of with arthritic and artificial knees than a RAV4. She went with a RAV4 over the CR-V just because of the recent engine issues that Honda was having.

CULater

Post by CULater » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:47 am

Another thing about the turbo engine that may or may not be a big deal. With the CRV one thing I've haven't cared for is the turbo "lag" which makes it hard to start moving from a stop without a little lurch or surge. It's not terrible, but still annoys me. When I test drove vehicles, I noticed this right away with the CRV compared to the non-turbo Mazda CX-5 which felt much smoother during startup and acceleration. Not as quick but smoother and more predictable when you put your foot on the gas. Probably more of an issue for older drivers than younger ones, but something to maybe pay attention to during test drives.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:58 am

I would reiterate the advantages of a car easy to enter/exit and see out of, not just for the driver but for passengers.

As to getting up and down slippery hills there could be an argument for a good AWD system such as Subaru but there is also an argument for driving on snow tires or perhaps all weather tires (all weather, not all season). Another argument in favor of Subaru in snowy climates is higher clearance to help avoid getting stuck in deeper snow. The CRV is also not bad, but low-slung sedans are at a disadvantage. Another very effective tactic for seniors in bad weather is to not go out at all until things are cleaned up.

The Forrester is a bit of a noisier, rougher riding car than the Outback. The Outback is also more expensive and bigger. Another Subaru option that has AWD, high clearance, but is smaller and cheaper is the Crosstrek.

CULater

Post by CULater » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:46 am

OP mentioned considering a SUV type vehicle because of AWD, but you can get AWD in regular sedans as well; don't need a CRV or RAV4 for that. One of those is mainly helpful because of the higher seat entry and driving position, and some people like the cargo carrying capability tho that seems less relevant in your case. Also, there is no small SUV that rides as well as a small sedan and that can be important especially to the older folk.

As for the benefits of AWD, they are somewhat more helpful in deeper snow conditions when FWD might tend to slip and it's harder to start up or track straight. Not particularly beneficial on roads that are just slick from ice or packed down snow, and don't help you avoid sliding or stop quicker. Many articles have been written that document that using snow tires is a heck of a lot more helpful than AWD. A FWD vehicle with snow tires will perform better than an AWD without snow tires in most winter conditions. An AWD with snow tires would be the best.

If you can deal with switching out to snow tires for the winter, it would be cheaper to buy and maintain a FWD vehicle. It would also be cheaper to buy a sedan than an SUV. If the AWD is more desirable, I'd still consider the snow tires if winter driving conditions in your area are bad enough.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:20 pm

dbr wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:58 am
The Forrester is a bit of a noisier, rougher riding car than the Outback. The Outback is also more expensive and bigger. Another Subaru option that has AWD, high clearance, but is smaller and cheaper is the Crosstrek.
Right now, you may be able to get a 2019 Outback for about the same as a Forester. There is an all new version of the Outback for 2020, so there are deals on the leftover 2019s.

emanuel_v19

Post by emanuel_v19 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:26 pm

If you want AWD, get a Subaru. No questions asked. Plenty of research and information why it's rated #1 AWD system and actually works.

Now, from those 3 I would suggest the Accord. It's a great car. But if she wants a little more space, maybe easier to access, the CRV would be my 2nd choice. My sister has a 01 CRV with almost 400k miles and still running. However, my brother has a 04 Rav4 with 200k and still running fine. It's a matter of maintaining the car the right way and it will last a long time.

In conclusion, my choice for her would be Accord, CRV, Rav. You want AWD? Get a Forester, or even a Legacy. Imprezas would be cheaper to own though.

California88

Post by California88 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:49 pm

I've done a lot of car shopping in the last year - ended up getting 2019 RAV4 LE ($26,00) - had it a few months and "it's so wonderful". Tried the new 2019 Toyota Corolla - getting in was ok - but getting out wasn't so easy - they're building all the new sedans too close to the ground for me ... and the seats were not that comfortable in all the sedans. CRV was out (even thought I've always had Hondas) because of problems mentioned. People like Subarus - but I looked at Consumer Reports Book that itemizes all the different areas of owner complaints (in a schedule) - and there were a lot ... compared to Toyotas - so I got the RAV4 - but haven't taken it to the snow yet!

Topic Author
IowaFarmWife

Re: Honda CRV, Accord, or Toyota RAV? UPATE

Post by IowaFarmWife » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:51 pm

My mother went and test drove a new CRV, Honda HRV, Highlander, RAV4, and a Subaru Impreza. Right now leader is the HRV. She said that the RAV4's dashboard was too confusing, and she felt like she was trying to fly a small plane with the fancy control panel. The Impreza was difficult to get in and out of (arthritic knees), and the Highlander and CRV were "too big." I think the HRV may be "just right." She is now waiting to decide whether to pay cash for a new car or take them up on the 1.9% financing. Thank you for all of your input over the past few days. I did share this with her over the weekend.

NewbieBogle007

Re: Honda CRV, Accord, or Toyota RAV? UPDATE

Post by NewbieBogle007 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:19 pm

Isn't the Honda oil dilution problem limited to the Turbo?

emanuel_v19

Post by emanuel_v19 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:45 pm

NewbieBogle007 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:19 pm
Isn't the Honda oil dilution problem limited to the Turbo?
I think it was only for the 1.9L

emanuel_v19

Post by emanuel_v19 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:45 pm

IowaFarmWife wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:51 pm
My mother went and test drove a new CRV, Honda HRV, Highlander, RAV4, and a Subaru Impreza. Right now leader is the HRV. She said that the RAV4's dashboard was too confusing, and she felt like she was trying to fly a small plane with the fancy control panel. The Impreza was difficult to get in and out of (arthritic knees), and the Highlander and CRV were "too big." I think the HRV may be "just right." She is now waiting to decide whether to pay cash for a new car or take them up on the 1.9% financing. Thank you for all of your input over the past few days. I did share this with her over the weekend.
Has she looked into the Crosstrek?

Topic Author
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:08 am

emanuel_v19 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:45 pm
IowaFarmWife wrote:
Not that I know of. Should she?

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:46 am

If she has t tried the accord or the civic she should. They both drive significantly better than the HRV and CRV, are quieter, smoother, and more efficient. The only downside may be that they are lower and the HRV and CRV could be easier for her to get into, but once she’s in, the Civic and Accord are much better than their SUV counterparts.

The accord in particular is a pretty huge leap over the civic in terms of refinement in terms of ride quality and road noise. Honda our a lot of effort into making the chassis in the accord stiff which allows them to better tune the suspension to absorb/filter out bumps and noise while still allowing the car to handle well. The engineering on the accord is extremely impressive given its price point. The Honda crossovers and civic are good, but not nearly as refined.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:56 am

Retired in our sixties and considered these models. Ended up getting a Maxda CX5 and really like it. You might find this site useful:

www.carcomplaints.com
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:54 am

IowaFarmWife wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:08 am
emanuel_v19 wrote:
IowaFarmWife wrote:
FWIW, according to CR summary table from April 2019, they put the Crosstrek as well as the Hyudai Kona and Nissan Rogue Sport above the HRV, in that class. They rated them better on ride and noise as well as, perhaps more subjectively, front seat comfort.

The Kia Soul and Niro might be worth a look too. These also offer a somewhat elevated driving position for easier entry and exit. No AWD, AFAIK and, like the HRV, they are not rated as particularly quiet or smooth riding.

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:58 am

IowaFarmWife wrote:
emanuel_v19 wrote:
IowaFarmWife wrote:
Maybe. It has Subaru AWD system, high clearance, but is a fairly small and less expensive vehicle than, for example, an Outback. It may not have quite the ease of entry and exit and outward visibility that is excellent in a Forrester, for example.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:06 am

May not apply to your case, but as an older, retired person, I decided to get a smaller vehicle than my beloved 4-Runner. Looked at the same vehicles as you mentioned and decided that a small SUV best due to easier entry and liking the raised height after driving larger SUV's. Also looked at the Nissan X5. Surprisingly, when comparing size and price, ended up with a Subaru Forester, partially due to seat size, space for second seat passengers and, definitely, safety features.

Tim

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:16 am

IowaFarmWife wrote:

If the Impreza was too low and that was her only complaint about it, then yes. The Crosstrek is not much more than an impreza with a raised suspension, some fender flares and larger wheels and tires. It is enough higher that it might be exactly what she is looking for. If she's looking for an automatic, Subaru seems to be offering a bunch of incentives to dealers to clear these out. They're built in Lafayette, Indiana, if that matters.

I'm somewhat biased as we have a 13 Crosstrek limited CVT and just bought a 19 Crosstrek premium 6 speed manual last week. It is a small car but if you're not hauling around a room full of Bubbas, it does well. It has "real" all wheel drive and will deliver over 30 mpg pretty easily. Subaru also has a good extended warranty setup that can be purchased from any dealer, anytime so long as the car is within the bumper to bumper warranty period. Mastria Subaru in Mass is pretty well known for providing these for the cheapest cost.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

CULater

Post by CULater » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:28 am

Nowizard wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:06 am
May not apply to your case, but as an older, retired person, I decided to get a smaller vehicle than my beloved 4-Runner. Looked at the same vehicles as you mentioned and decided that a small SUV best due to easier entry and liking the raised height after driving larger SUV's. Also looked at the Nissan X5. Surprisingly, when comparing size and price, ended up with a Subaru Forester, partially due to seat size, space for second seat passengers and, definitely, safety features.

Tim
Not advocating the Forester because I haven't looked at it, but my understanding is that it also has very good visibility which has become more important to me with weaker eyes and slowing brain as I age. Backup cameras help enormously and help mitigate the poorer rearward visibility in SUVs, but forward and sideward visibility is very important -- don't like the idea of not seeing a vehicle coming at an intersection and pulling out or turning in front of it, or smashing a pedestrian when turning. My CRV isn't too bad, but the front window pillars can block an area of vision so I'm extra careful about looking and re-looking.

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:58 am

CULater wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:28 am
Nowizard wrote:

Tim
Not advocating the Forester because I haven't looked at it, but my understanding is that it also has very good visibility which has become more important to me with weaker eyes and slowing brain as I age. Backup cameras help enormously and help mitigate the poorer rearward visibility in SUVs, but forward and sideward visibility is very important -- don't like the idea of not seeing a vehicle coming at an intersection and pulling out or turning in front of it, or smashing a pedestrian when turning. My CRV isn't too bad, but the front window pillars can block an area of vision so I'm extra careful about looking and re-looking.
It is current sedan designs that have horrible rear visibility. That factor and ease of entry and exit changed over my car preferences when I had to finally replace my aging sedan.

CULater

Post by CULater » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:17 am

dbr wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:58 am
CULater wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:28 am
Nowizard wrote:

Tim
It is current sedan designs that have horrible rear visibility. That factor and ease of entry and exit changed over my car preferences when I had to finally replace my aging sedan.
Backing up is particularly hazardous. Backup cameras help greatly, and I also find that my cross-traffic warning is very helpful too. One problem with the HRV is that it doesn't have cross-traffic alert on any trim level and I wouldn't be without it. The other thing that saved my bacon is the blind spot warning. When you signal to change lanes and there's something in your blind spot there is an audible alert -- you must be signaling for the alert to be audible. I would have killed a motorcycle rider next to me once if I had tried to change lanes quickly in traffic without signaling. The warning went off and I avoided killing him. The HRV doesn't have that either.

Some vehicles are now coming with auto braking when you are backing up. With just the camera you have to see what's back there, but with auto braking your car would stop if you don't see a kid who steps in back of your car while you're backing up. I'll be looking for that in my next vehicle.