Article on [US citizens] retiring Panama....

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bowtie

Article on [US citizens] retiring Panama....

Post by bowtie » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:57 pm

Anyone see the "Marketwatch' article featuring a Massachusetts 63 year old (teacher, I think) who decided that Panama fit the bill for retirement for her and her two adult daughters? Of course, it helped that she is able to speak the language. (If one did not speak the language, then I wonder if all those benefits would mean nothing until language was acquired).

7eight9

Re: Article on US retiring Panama....

Post by 7eight9 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:15 pm

The article in question titled ‘It is an act of insanity to stay in the U.S.:’ Why this 63-year-old teacher ditched Massachusetts to retire in the highlands of Panama --- https://www.marketwatch.com/story/it-is ... 2019-08-23
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

DesertDiva

Re: Article on [US citizens] retiring Panama....

Post by DesertDiva » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:35 pm

Yes, I saw it.

dpm321

Post by dpm321 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:42 pm

I have a friend who retired to Boquete. Bought what he calls a " coffee plantation," 5 1/2 acres. When they went down their Spanish was very, very weak. They learned quickly by immersion and, yes, they got all those benefits before their Spanish was proficient.

Keep one thing in mind. One of the few benefits of being an Americsn that travels is that you don't have to learn anyone else's language. You can always find people that speak enough English for you to get what you need.

cantabtim

Post by cantabtim » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:10 pm

Why go to Panama (or Costa Rica, or Belize or whatever the latest "perfect" Latin American retirement destination might be) when you could go to Spain? Beautiful, stable, great weather with lots of variety by region, you can drink the tap water, the trains run on time, the healthcare is second to none and the currency is backed by the Germans. And remarkably cheap presuming you don't want a penthouse in the center of Madrid or Barcelona. Portugal even cheaper but, I would argue, a little lower in the "stable, trains run on time" stakes.

You're much less likely to need the helicopter from the embassy roof in Valencia, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria or Cartagena (the Spanish one!) than you are anywhere in Latin America.

galeno

Post by galeno » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:25 pm

Spain would be great. If it weren't too far away.
USA-NRA. TER = 0.28%. Expected real CAGR = 2.00%. AWR = 4.00%.: Port: 50% World Stocks + 15% TIPS + 15% Corps + 15% US Treas + 5% CASH.

cantabtim

Post by cantabtim » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:32 pm

Well, yes, there is that. From Boston flying to Madrid is only 6-7 hrs, and there is non-stop service. Panama would mean transferring somewhere and take longer. And as for more southern parts of Latin America.......

If you are starting from Florida or CA though the calculation is different. But if you are in FL or CA why move anywhere?

staustin

Post by staustin » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:40 pm

Spain is amazing.. particularly northern. we have friends spending a year there now. I suspect they won't come back.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:30 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (not personal nor actionable). General comment threads are off topic in the forums with "Personal" in the title. See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT
- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.
If you have a specific question, please ask directly and provide sufficient information for members to supply appropriate advice.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.