RE-OPENED for Good LightRoom Equivs: Best FOSS for Video Production, Audio Production, Photo Editing, and Office Suites?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
synthfan23
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:36 am

RE-OPENED for Good LightRoom Equivs: Best FOSS for Video Production, Audio Production, Photo Editing, and Office Suites?

Post by synthfan23 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:49 am

Clearly Adobe Creative Cloud is arguably (don't wanna argue but feel free to calmly and politely object if you'd like) Gold Standard for Video Production, Photo Editing, Illustration, etc. However I don't have Deep Pockets. So I'm looking for Free Open Source Software (FOSS) equivalents to these offerings. Including a good Office-replacement (used to use OpenOffice; but hear all "the cool kids" now use either Libre Office or Google's various cloud products like Docs, Sheets, and whatever their version of PowerPoint is (need a good PPT replacement as well; although a friend tells me I should really be using KeyNote).

For music creation I've read that Reaper, while not technically free (good enough: shareware) would probably serve my own personal needs just as well as Logic. For sound editing, I've always used Audacity. Is there anything free or cheap that's better? I hereby drop by "open source" requirement; what the hell am I gonna do with the source code not being a Developer? Nada. Nothing Zilcho. So free and cheap please. Open Source Code is a plus.

Taking classes in Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, Logic, etc. And since I'm not fluent in any of them I'd rather choose something having perhaps 70%+ Feature Parity with these products that won't cost me one or more extremities. :-) Concepts will be the same. Short-cuts will be different. Big. Whoop. :-)

I have several Macs and an aging Windows PC. Trying to wean myself off Windows--at least for Creative Work.

Thanks for your attention.
Last edited by synthfan23 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

HawkeyePierce
Posts: 741
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:29 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Best FOSS for Video Production, Audio Production, Photo Editing, and Office Suites?

Post by HawkeyePierce » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:18 am

I don’t think anyone can give a meaningful answer without knowing what you use these apps for.

The only Photoshop alternative I’ve liked as a hobbyist photographer is Pixelmator Pro but it’s still not free. ($40)

I used to use a combo of Pixelmator and Aperture but once Apple sunsetted Aperture I bit the bullet on an Adobe subscription. $120/year for Photoshop and Lightroom is honestly not bad if you’re getting value from it.

planetmike
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:00 am

Re: Best FOSS for Video Production, Audio Production, Photo Editing, and Office Suites?

Post by planetmike » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:44 am

LibreOffice is pretty good. It's read 99% of my old MS Office documents I've thrown at it. PowerPoint slideshows either open really well or not at all. Transition effects disappear. https://www.libreoffice.org/

I use GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) for pictures. It has a steep learning curve, but many of the concepts are similar in Photoshop. https://www.gimp.org/

Audacity let me edit the podcast I used to run. https://www.audacityteam.org/

I never got into video, so can't help you there. The little bit I did explore, I used iMovie.

User avatar
PrettyCoolWorkshop
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Best FOSS for Video Production, Audio Production, Photo Editing, and Office Suites?

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:00 am

I second Audacity for being an excellent audio editor. Free.

I second GIMP for being an excellent photo editor. Free.

Paint.net is another excellent photo editor. It is more lightweight/ less capable than GIMP, but still very capable. Free.

Inkscape is an excellent vector graphics editor (to compare to Illustrator). Free.

Open Broadcaster Studio is an excellent video recording software, with some video editing capabilities. Free.

VLC Player is an excellent video player, with some (very limited, such as cutting individual clips, extracting/inserting audio, and changing formats) video editing capabilities. Free.

ShotCut is an excellent video editor. It is sufficiently powerful to make almost any video you want. Free. As a general comment, I was frustrated about the entire state of available free video editors until I found ShotCut. It's fairly new on the block- the solo developer quit his job to work on it full time some time in 2017 or 2018, I think.

Blender is a 3D design program for animators that can be used as a video editor. It is very capable but I do not recommend trying to learn it. It is unintuitive, and will be a time sink and if you walk away for a couple months you will forget everything you learned. Ask me how I know :D . The most recent release did fix some UI problems, but not enough of the video editor's problems to help. Free.

Either Libre Office or Google Docs is fine for making word documents. That's not a very difficult bit of software to get right. Both are free.

PDF XChange Editor is an excellent PDF viewer and editor. Free.

For spreadsheets, I recommend staying with Excel or Google Sheets. It is very often the case that you have to look up (web search) what you are trying to do, and the Libre Office version does not have enough users that somebody else has asked the same question in the past.
Be greedy and fearful. All the time.

User avatar
5th_Dimension
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:05 am

Re: Best FOSS for Video Production, Audio Production, Photo Editing, and Office Suites?

Post by 5th_Dimension » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:56 am

I've used Reaper for doing some low level music mixing. I only scratched the surface of what it can do but it is an amazing piece of software.
Sometimes I feel like I'm waltzing in a 4/4 world.

onourway
Posts: 2091
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Best FOSS for Video Production, Audio Production, Photo Editing, and Office Suites?

Post by onourway » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:18 pm

Creative Cloud for students is $20/month. If you buy it before August 30, they give you 2 months for free. If you are taking classes that use these products, the cost of the software is absolutely trivial compared to the value of your time. I wouldn't even think twice about the cost, especially if your goal is to eventually earn money using these products.

dboeger1
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Re: Best FOSS for Video Production, Audio Production, Photo Editing, and Office Suites?

Post by dboeger1 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:26 pm

LibreOffice is for all intents and purposes the continuation of the old OpenOffice project. Technically, LibreOffice was a fork from OpenOffice, while Oracle continued the OpenOffice project and eventually donated it to Apache. That being said, most of the core OpenOffice developers from before Oracle's acquisition of Sun Microsystems left to work on the LibreOffice fork (mostly for reasons related to not being associated with Oracle), and major Linux distributions switched over to LibreOffice fairly quickly. Subsequent OpenOffice contributions slowed to a snail's pace, while LibreOffice continued to thrive. So basically, yes, the name is different, and the 2 projects are technically separate, but if you've used OpenOffice before, then LibreOffice should really feel like the latest and greatest version of the same software.

Audacity tends to be the go-to for open-source audio editing.

For photo EDITING purposes, GIMP is the obvious choice. However, when it comes to creating art from scratch, There are other popular programs. Krita is great for pixel-based art, whereas Inkscape is great for vector graphics.

User avatar
Elric
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:23 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Best FOSS for Video Production, Audio Production, Photo Editing, and Office Suites?

Post by Elric » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:45 pm

PrettyCoolWorkshop wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:00 am
I second Audacity for being an excellent audio editor. Free.
I second GIMP for being an excellent photo editor. Free.
Paint.net is another excellent photo editor. It is more lightweight/ less capable than GIMP, but still very capable. Free.
VLC Player is an excellent video player, with some (very limited, such as cutting individual clips, extracting/inserting audio, and changing formats) video editing capabilities. Free.
Either Libre Office or Google Docs is fine for making word documents. That's not a very difficult bit of software to get right. Both are free.
PDF XChange Editor is an excellent PDF viewer and editor. Free.
  • Plus 1 on Audacity. I use it regularly when needed. Don't know of any good free competitive choice.
  • I share the view on GIMP and Paint.net. I use Paint.net all the time, as it does everything I usually need. As poster stated, GIMP is even more capable, but with a steeper learning curve.
  • I share the view on GIMP and Paint.net. I use Paint.net all the time, as it does everything I usually need. As poster stated, GIMP is even more capable, but with a steeper learning curve.
  • Agree on VLC Player as well, but I've used Microsoft's free video editing tools for edits going beyond VLC but still simple.
  • LibreOffice or Google Docs is the way to go. I use Office 365, most of the time, though. This isn't a criticism of the other two, just why I can't say too much more about them.
  • Foxit is also a very good pdf viewer. Foxit isn't free for pdf editing, though.
"No man is free who works for a living." | Illya Kuryakin

bradshaw1965
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:36 pm

Re: Best FOSS for Video Production, Audio Production, Photo Editing, and Office Suites?

Post by bradshaw1965 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:59 pm

For Mac creative apps I'd look at Indy apps but they aren't FOSS and have lower costs without subscription.

Affinity suite (Designer = Illustrator, Photo= Photoshop, Publisher = InDesign), Sketch is great for UX, Acorn and Pixelmator are Mac friendly image editors, FCPX/Motion Apple's video, motion graphics

Free but not FOSS

Video DaVinci Resolve 16 (not all features are free but big subset are $0)

FOSS

Inkscape = SVG, Blender 2.8 (3d, 2.8 siginifcant upgrade) , Libre Office

Adobe Suite is standard but a lot of folks are having problems with their pricing and marketing philosophy. Good people build the products and good people support and advocate for them. Your call here.

ARoseByAnyOtherName
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:03 am

Re: Best FOSS for Video Production, Audio Production, Photo Editing, and Office Suites?

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:52 pm

It really depends on what you’re using these programs for.

You say you’re taking classes in many commercial programs. If your goal is to use any of these programs in any collaborative or money-making endeavor then completely forget about any alternatives - open source or otherwise - and pony up the $$$ for the real thing.

People here have mentioned that Adobe Creative Cloud is something like $20 a month. $20 a month is nothing compared to the value of the computers that it sounds like you have, and the capabilities that the software will give you. You can either waste your time figuring out how to do the things you learned in your classes in a completely different program, or you can pay $20 a month and focus on doing the actual creative work. To me the $20 a month is a no brainer.

For music you should definitely consider spending the money for Logic. It’s an incredibly deep, feature rich program that has tons of plugins and high quality synths included, ahem un: synthfan23 :). You can make commercial quality productions using only the plugins and tools included with Logic itself. It does cost money - $200 IIRC? - but it’s a one-time cost, not a subscription.

For office suite forget about open source options and use Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. They come for free free with your Macs. If you find yourself really needing the official MS Word, Excel, etc, just pay the $5 a month or however much Office 365 personal costs (it isn’t much).

Topic Author
synthfan23
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:36 am

Re: Best FOSS for Video Production, Audio Production, Photo Editing, and Office Suites?

Post by synthfan23 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:15 pm

onourway wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:18 pm
Creative Cloud for students is $20/month. If you buy it before August 30, they give you 2 months for free. If you are taking classes that use these products, the cost of the software is absolutely trivial compared to the value of your time. I wouldn't even think twice about the cost, especially if your goal is to eventually earn money using these products.
I was given the following caveat today, from Someone In The Video / Film Production industry re: using a student license to create content one intends to monetize: Don’t. As it both violates the EULA and isn’t worth the litigation costs should one be found out doing so. #SteppingOverDollarsToPickUpPennies.

Topic Author
synthfan23
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:36 am

Re: Best FOSS for Video Production, Audio Production, Photo Editing, and Office Suites?

Post by synthfan23 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:16 pm

dboeger1 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:26 pm
LibreOffice is for all intents and purposes the continuation of the old OpenOffice project. Technically, LibreOffice was a fork from OpenOffice, while Oracle continued the OpenOffice project and eventually donated it to Apache. That being said, most of the core OpenOffice developers from before Oracle's acquisition of Sun Microsystems left to work on the LibreOffice fork (mostly for reasons related to not being associated with Oracle), and major Linux distributions switched over to LibreOffice fairly quickly. Subsequent OpenOffice contributions slowed to a snail's pace, while LibreOffice continued to thrive. So basically, yes, the name is different, and the 2 projects are technically separate, but if you've used OpenOffice before, then LibreOffice should really feel like the latest and greatest version of the same software.

Audacity tends to be the go-to for open-source audio editing.

For photo EDITING purposes, GIMP is the obvious choice. However, when it comes to creating art from scratch, There are other popular programs. Krita is great for pixel-based art, whereas Inkscape is great for vector graphics.
Ah. Yes. Another instructor in the biz also recommended Krita when I asked about GIMP. Had never heard of Krita before but intend to check it out.

Topic Author
synthfan23
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:36 am

Re: Best FOSS for Video Production, Audio Production, Photo Editing, and Office Suites?

Post by synthfan23 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:25 pm

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:52 pm
It really depends on what you’re using these programs for.

You say you’re taking classes in many commercial programs. If your goal is to use any of these programs in any collaborative or money-making endeavor then completely forget about any alternatives - open source or otherwise - and pony up the $$$ for the real thing.

People here have mentioned that Adobe Creative Cloud is something like $20 a month. $20 a month is nothing compared to the value of the computers that it sounds like you have, and the capabilities that the software will give you. You can either waste your time figuring out how to do the things you learned in your classes in a completely different program, or you can pay $20 a month and focus on doing the actual creative work. To me the $20 a month is a no brainer.

For music you should definitely consider spending the money for Logic. It’s an incredibly deep, feature rich program that has tons of plugins and high quality synths included, ahem un: synthfan23 :). You can make commercial quality productions using only the plugins and tools included with Logic itself. It does cost money - $200 IIRC? - but it’s a one-time cost, not a subscription.

For office suite forget about open source options and use Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. They come for free free with your Macs. If you find yourself really needing the official MS Word, Excel, etc, just pay the $5 a month or however much Office 365 personal costs (it isn’t much).
Let’s agree to disagree. Several instructors I asked said no: it’s perfectly fine to use something like, say, the freemium version of DaVinci from Black Magic. And other alternatives. Yes, if you stay in the Adobe ecosphere you’ll have some crossover that can pay dividends. But cheating out on using a student license to create content one intends to monetize is evidently an unwise idea. Unless one is OK risking potential litigation. I myself am not. While I’m not a lawyer, Adobe seems, at least historically, particularly aggressive among software vendors in going after individual users / misusers of their products.

I do see what you’re saying though about certain things like Logic: $200 flat is Short Money. As is $300 for the full version of DaVinci. However I don’t yet know if I require the features Logic may have that Reaper does not. I’m going to take a few courses in Logic and see how it compares to Reaper for my own personal music production needs.

Glad to hear Audacity is still going strong. Will have to DL the latest version.

Thanks to all for the Office alternative suggestions. Will stick with Google Docs / Sheets for now.

ARoseByAnyOtherName
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:03 am

Re: Best FOSS for Video Production, Audio Production, Photo Editing, and Office Suites?

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:11 pm

synthfan23 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:25 pm
Let’s agree to disagree.
Variety is the spice of life, isn’t it. :)
synthfan23 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:25 pm
But cheating out on using a student license to create content one intends to monetize is evidently an unwise idea. Unless one is OK risking potential litigation. I myself am not. While I’m not a lawyer, Adobe seems, at least historically, particularly aggressive among software vendors in going after individual users / misusers of their products.
To be clear I am in no way suggesting misusing any software or licensing. I was just going by what other posters suggested.

I checked myself and a full Creative Cloud all apps license looks to be $53 a month. That doesn’t change my answer at all. Certainly for any professional use, or any use creating content that one intends to monetize, $53 a month is negligible.

Best of luck.

onourway
Posts: 2091
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Best FOSS for Video Production, Audio Production, Photo Editing, and Office Suites?

Post by onourway » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:26 am

synthfan23 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:15 pm
I was given the following caveat today, from Someone In The Video / Film Production industry re: using a student license to create content one intends to monetize: Don’t. As it both violates the EULA and isn’t worth the litigation costs should one be found out doing so. #SteppingOverDollarsToPickUpPennies.
I was suggesting nothing of the sort. While you are a student, taking classes to learn the software, the $20/month student version is completely legitimate. Once you are using it professionally, you’d need to change the licensing. But then, once you are earning money with it, like ARoseByAnyOtherName says, the licensing fees still remain completely irrelevant.

Trying to patch together a series of open-source alternatives for all of these programs is, as you say, #SteppingOverDollarsToPickUpPennies.

Topic Author
synthfan23
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:36 am

Re: Best FOSS for Video Production, Audio Production, Photo Editing, and Office Suites?

Post by synthfan23 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:46 pm

onourway wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:26 am
synthfan23 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:15 pm
I was given the following caveat today, from Someone In The Video / Film Production industry re: using a student license to create content one intends to monetize: Don’t. As it both violates the EULA and isn’t worth the litigation costs should one be found out doing so. #SteppingOverDollarsToPickUpPennies.
I was suggesting nothing of the sort. While you are a student, taking classes to learn the software, the $20/month student version is completely legitimate. Once you are using it professionally, you’d need to change the licensing. But then, once you are earning money with it, like ARoseByAnyOtherName says, the licensing fees still remain completely irrelevant.

Trying to patch together a series of open-source alternatives for all of these programs is, as you say, #SteppingOverDollarsToPickUpPennies.
Incidentally I am not a student at a college or university. Taking free classes here and there from industry pros in the metro Orlando area funded by an endowment. And I intend to ramp-up and begin monetizing content in 2 months or less. But not to the degree that $50+ a month is insignificant; as the initial monetization effort will be: 1) a part-time endeavor and 2) may or not succeed to whatever degree you suppose I think it will. It’s not as black and white as you seem to cast it. Are you yourself in the biz? Respectfully submitted.

onourway
Posts: 2091
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Best FOSS for Video Production, Audio Production, Photo Editing, and Office Suites?

Post by onourway » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:36 am

synthfan23 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:46 pm
Incidentally I am not a student at a college or university. Taking free classes here and there from industry pros in the metro Orlando area funded by an endowment. And I intend to ramp-up and begin monetizing content in 2 months or less. But not to the degree that $50+ a month is insignificant; as the initial monetization effort will be: 1) a part-time endeavor and 2) may or not succeed to whatever degree you suppose I think it will. It’s not as black and white as you seem to cast it. Are you yourself in the biz? Respectfully submitted.
I am in the industry, and Creative Cloud is at the center of my workflow.

In the short term, I’d suspect you remain free to use the student licensing while you get your grounding.

If you were looking for a free app or two to do some basic drawings, photo manipulation, and so on, I’d agree open-source is the way and there is no point in paying Adobe in perpetuity for limited personal use. However, the fact that you are looking at using a wide variety of these programs, take classes that focus on the use of these programs in particular, and eventually want to make money with the content you produce all lead me to suggest that you just use Creative Cloud.

A few examples.

One, when working on a class assignment, how much time will you spend in your alternative app, poking around figuring out how to do a certain step? Is that process just done differently, or is that particular option simply not available, forcing you to find a work-around? How much is that time worth?

Two, one of the advantages of using CC is the breadth and depth of resources available to you when facing nearly any problem or looking to learn a new technique. Virtually any question you have will be answered in multiple ways; forum posts, online articles and classes, videos, etc. The same may or may not be true for each of the alternative programs you choose. Again, how much value do you place on your time? When I first started in my current role, the company had a history of using a small, poorly supported application that had some unique capabilities. But learning how to use it was severely hampered by the lack of online support because the user-base was so small.

The programs you are asking for are quite wide-ranging - from Office, to CC, to music and video production. I certainly understand that the licensing costs for full versions of all of these programs is quite daunting. I would also suggest that the learning curve for each and every one of these programs (and we are talking at least 10 separate major programs at this point) is incredibly steep. People make careers out of specializing in just a single one of them. So it’s going to be years before you have any level of proficiency in any one program, let alone all of them. Figure out where your speciality lies, and be open to choosing the best program for your needs. Don’t be afraid to pay for quality software when it will ultimately save you time and allow you to focus your energy on producing content rather than on using the software. The skills you learn in CC while taking classes will port over to the alternative programs just fine, and you’ll save yourself a lot of time while you get through the steepest part of the curve. Then you can pick and choose which programs are worth paying for and for which OSS makes sense.

Good luck!

Topic Author
synthfan23
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:36 am

Re: Best FOSS for Video Production, Audio Production, Photo Editing, and Office Suites?

Post by synthfan23 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:38 pm

onourway wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:36 am
synthfan23 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:46 pm
Incidentally I am not a student at a college or university. Taking free classes here and there from industry pros in the metro Orlando area funded by an endowment. And I intend to ramp-up and begin monetizing content in 2 months or less. But not to the degree that $50+ a month is insignificant; as the initial monetization effort will be: 1) a part-time endeavor and 2) may or not succeed to whatever degree you suppose I think it will. It’s not as black and white as you seem to cast it. Are you yourself in the biz? Respectfully submitted.
I am in the industry, and Creative Cloud is at the center of my workflow.

In the short term, I’d suspect you remain free to use the student licensing while you get your grounding.

If you were looking for a free app or two to do some basic drawings, photo manipulation, and so on, I’d agree open-source is the way and there is no point in paying Adobe in perpetuity for limited personal use. However, the fact that you are looking at using a wide variety of these programs, take classes that focus on the use of these programs in particular, and eventually want to make money with the content you produce all lead me to suggest that you just use Creative Cloud.

A few examples.

One, when working on a class assignment, how much time will you spend in your alternative app, poking around figuring out how to do a certain step? Is that process just done differently, or is that particular option simply not available, forcing you to find a work-around? How much is that time worth?

Two, one of the advantages of using CC is the breadth and depth of resources available to you when facing nearly any problem or looking to learn a new technique. Virtually any question you have will be answered in multiple ways; forum posts, online articles and classes, videos, etc. The same may or may not be true for each of the alternative programs you choose. Again, how much value do you place on your time? When I first started in my current role, the company had a history of using a small, poorly supported application that had some unique capabilities. But learning how to use it was severely hampered by the lack of online support because the user-base was so small.

The programs you are asking for are quite wide-ranging - from Office, to CC, to music and video production. I certainly understand that the licensing costs for full versions of all of these programs is quite daunting. I would also suggest that the learning curve for each and every one of these programs (and we are talking at least 10 separate major programs at this point) is incredibly steep. People make careers out of specializing in just a single one of them. So it’s going to be years before you have any level of proficiency in any one program, let alone all of them. Figure out where your speciality lies, and be open to choosing the best program for your needs. Don’t be afraid to pay for quality software when it will ultimately save you time and allow you to focus your energy on producing content rather than on using the software. The skills you learn in CC while taking classes will port over to the alternative programs just fine, and you’ll save yourself a lot of time while you get through the steepest part of the curve. Then you can pick and choose which programs are worth paying for and for which OSS makes sense.

Good luck!
Thanks for your input and time. Some comments in no particular order:

C1: A fellow student told me that: A) With the latest paid version of DaVinci—he has the full $300 version; you buy it once; it is not a subscription model (I hate these)—the workflows are superior to Adobe Premiere. And video editing is probably the Deepest Dive I’ll do. Plus, the lab where I take free classes is replacing their Canons with all Black Magic cameras. So all in-studio work I do will be with DaVinci cameras. And they will start offering classes in DaVinci this October.

C2: I’ve worked with audio editing software for most of my adult life and don’t give a durn whether I use Audacity (I already know it).

C3: Frankly most of my image editing has of late been with with MS Paint. I’m not joking. Then IrfanView. I’ll only use GIMP or Photoshop if I have special requirements. If I don’t know how to do something I’ll either Google It or barter DB design skills with graphic designer friends of mine.

C4: My favorite most intuitive sequencing software I’ve ever used is... wait for it... MED on an Amiga 500. I hate all other sequencers I’ve ever tried to use. So I could care less about using Logic—or worrying about it.

C5: I’m told I’m a quick study when it comes to learning new software. While I don’t believe that’s the case, more than one employer I’ve worked for has noted this.

C6: I’m already using Google Sheets and Google Docs. They are mostly as intuitive as the MS Office equivalents so this is no longer a concern or question.

C7: I actually enjoy, at least part of the time, using stripped down minimalist software. Lack of feature bloat / feature proliferation, to me, is a good thing. Constraints, whether they be monetary, temporal, etc, cause me to be more creative and innovative. I’ve learned to embrace and enjoy constraints.

C8: Yes I value my time. But Adobe products seem to have so many features that, for me personally, make them a potential time sink / rabbit hole. Because I’m prone to drilling down deeply in menus and wondering ooh, what does THIS do.

I easily derail myself this way. I was writing a book once. Then got interested in Typography. Big Mistake. Big Rabbit Hole.

I’d rather learn theory and concepts more than tools. A tool is just a tool... If you know theory and concepts you can learn to use any tool. Same with computer languages. An array is an array. Conditional Logic is Conditional Logic, etc. Know the concepts and you can use nearly any tool.

Hope that doesn’t sound arrogant. I very rarely toot my own horn and am the most overtly self-deprecating person I’ve ever met. And consider myself only a moderately intelligent person. But I do not really worry about learning particular tools. Just knowing what is possible is sufficient. Again, I’ll either learn what I need or barter services with friends. Not a problem. 😁

Topic Author
synthfan23
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:36 am

Re: Best FOSS for Video Production, Audio Production, Photo Editing, and Office Suites?

Post by synthfan23 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:19 am

I sucked it up and purchased a year's subscription to Adobe CC. When the year is up I'll switch to all FOSS products. Plenty to choose from; same concepts and close (enough; for me personally) feature-parity. I like to "own" my software (I know licensing isn't ownership but hopefully y'all know what I mean). Recently I learned that, with products like Adobe Premiere Pro, constant updates can be a nightmare. I will say no further. Those in the industry know of what I speak--hopefully. Try sharing "assets" / projects with others and you may learn the hard way what I mean.

Topic Author
synthfan23
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:36 am

Re: RESOLVED: Best FOSS for Video Production, Audio Production, Photo Editing, and Office Suites?

Post by synthfan23 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:40 am

Not Yet Fully Resolved...

* Just learned that DarkTable is a good free open source alternative to Adobe Lightroom. While it may or may not do as much as Lightroom its feature list probably meets my requirements.

I often find using several similar FOSS programs for any given task at hand can achieve the same (or close) results as Adobe Creative Cloud. Anyone know if Adobe Creative Cloud has a Satisfaction Guaranteed Money Back Guarantee? I'm certainly not satisfied with:

1. Their Subscription Model of software licensing. I want to pay once & not be pestered to upgrade until & when I decide I need or want to.
2. Industry Professionals (in Film / Video / Graphic design) say that "forced" or frequent small updates of... #IDC... #Photoshop? #Illustrator? Can cause trouble when either A) Collaborating remotely with others & B) Working with clients.

Unless there's a compelling reason to do so I do not want to upgrade unnecessarily due in part to all of the above plus:

A. My frugality / the Principle of the Thing
B. Because I refuse to be force-fed anything Big Software wants to force down my throat

Post Reply