Fixing roof with missing tiles

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Caduceus

Fixing roof with missing tiles

Post by Caduceus » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:34 pm

I need to fix a leaking roof for a small barn-like building in a rural area (I don't live there - this is for a relative.)

I am unfamiliar with how I should even start. As far as I can see, from previous visits and some videos, there are three missing tiles on the roof. The rest of the roof seems to be fine, although it is very, very old. Does anyone have suggestions? Should I just pay someone to replace the three tiles (the roof is quite high)? Or do additional repairs while I'm at it (and if so, what kind of repairs would you suggest?) Could you give me a sense of the cost? I am guessing it is based on the total area of the roof? This is a small roof - maybe the size of a very small studio apartment.

The problem I'm having now is that whenever it rains, water comes into the structure, which is obviously not good. It's been like that for a few years now and I have been procrastinating on fixing it.

CAsage

Re: Fixing roof with missing tiles

Post by CAsage » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:37 pm

Asphalt shingle or adobe tile? If it's really, really old, what kind of shape is the rest of it in?
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:00 pm

You have to say what KIND of roof. If it really is tile (cement? clay?) you need someone who Does That Kind of Thing, especially if it's old, which means fragile.

Get somebody in for an estimate for replacement. Show them where the leak is, they may be able to guess what the problem is. Maybe ask them to clean out the gutters while up there.

It will cost more than you expect, but replacement of the roof will cost more than you can imagine, and if you have a few years of experience with a roofer you will have a sense of whether you would trust them to replace the roof.

By the way, a roof near the end of its useful life is kind of like a football game with two minutes left. It may last for much longer than you think.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:59 am

+1 we need to know what kind of roof it is. Besides asphalt and adobe clay tile there are also cedar shingle and slate roofs that would fit the description of a "tiled roof" . All of them require different approaches to repair.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:33 am

Caduceus wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:34 pm
I need to fix a leaking roof for a small barn-like building in a rural area (I don't live there - this is for a relative.)

I am unfamiliar with how I should even start. As far as I can see, from previous visits and some videos, there are three missing tiles on the roof. The rest of the roof seems to be fine, although it is very, very old. Does anyone have suggestions? Should I just pay someone to replace the three tiles (the roof is quite high)? Or do additional repairs while I'm at it (and if so, what kind of repairs would you suggest?) Could you give me a sense of the cost? I am guessing it is based on the total area of the roof? This is a small roof - maybe the size of a very small studio apartment.

The problem I'm having now is that whenever it rains, water comes into the structure, which is obviously not good. It's been like that for a few years now and I have been procrastinating on fixing it.
If you haven't done this before the and roof is "quite high" I'd pay someone else to do this. You don't want to fall off of the roof or ladder.

A couple of years ago I paid someone to fix 4 asphalt shingles on my rental - and this was on the first story roof. It was $150.

IMO

Post by IMO » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:33 pm

It's pretty hard to know how much a roof repair will cost until it's inspected. Can be minor issues or could require under layers to be removed/replaced, etc.

For what is worth: Just had family in SoCal had leak develop in concrete roof tiles area that was about 40 years old. Some tiles had to be replaced/exchanged with tiles from a less visible area of roof since those tiles were no longer available. This repair was $5,000. Had 2 other repairs within last 5 years that cost about $1500 each repair.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:28 am

Depending on the length of time the roof has been leaking, you might have some significant rot in the sheathing material.

If so, a roofer would have to remove far more tiles to replace however much is rotted. And, as you said, the tiles are very old.....

Should you consider a new roof, I would vote for an shingle or possibly a metal roof, most likely far cheaper than a tile roof, around my parts for sure.

Since it is in a rural area, and is a barn, tile seems a bit rich to me. Perhaps many years ago tile was cheaper and was a good choice.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:37 am

new2bogle wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:33 am
If you haven't done this before the and roof is "quite high" I'd pay someone else to do this. You don't want to fall off of the roof or ladder.
+1000

When I was a teenager I worked at a nursing home for several summers.

All of the residents were elderly except for one guy who was in his 30's. He had tried to save money by trying to fix his own roof and he had fallen off and was a quadriplegic.

Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:03 am

Apologies for the late response. I haven't been checking the board recently due to work. It is some sort of clay tile. I don't know what type of material it is but I've been told that it was made of some type of clay local to the region because that clay has pretty good properties (not sure what that means).

Oh man, $5000 is way too much. I don't even think the entire structure is worth half of that! Maybe what I can do is request three quotes so that I don't get taken for a ride.

I was thinking of maybe just draping a tarp over the entire roof so that the water slides off when it rains - are there any major problems you can think of with this idea?

jucor

Post by jucor » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:02 am

Have you had anyone local with knowledge of roofing (contractor/roofer, etc.) actually look at the roof and give you their opinion?

You're alarmed at the $5k wild guesstimate given here on the forums, but no one here knows anything mote than what you included in your initial, somewhat vague post. You cannot make any sort of sensible decision based on near zero information.

FWIW, tarping the roof is an inadequate solution for anything other than the very short term .