Anybody else enjoy sitting around and doing little in retirement?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Slapshot

Re: Anybody else enjoy sitting around and doing little in retirement?

Post by Slapshot »

When I retired from teaching and coaching after 35 years, I said I wanted to do whatever i wanted and have fun for 5 years, and then I would find something constructive to do. It's now been 15 years, and I am still doing whatever I want and having fun. The freedom of no commitments is too much to give up. So I get up without an alarm, enjoy breakfast and read the paper cover to cover, then walk the dog for about a mile. 3 days/week I go to the gym for an hour and a half, and 2 days/week I play hockey with the old timers for an hour and a half. Those are my jobs. During the winter the wife and I go downhill skiing for 3 days every other week. In the other seasons we ride our bikes and hit the beach.

Obviously the key is being healthy and able to do things Chores around the house take up time, and we also walk the dog every night after supper. Luckily my wife and I enjoy many of the same things. If it were up to me, I'd travel a lot more, but she's more of a homebody. So I don't travel as much as I'd like, while she travels more than she'd like. That's called compromising. We each do a lot of reading and spend more time online than we probably should. At night she retreats to the bedroom and watches her shows while I retreat to the family room and watch sports. We meet up at 11 and watch the news and late night comics together. People ask me what's the secret of staying happily married for almost 50 years. I always tell them, "2 TVs."

A speed bump with prostate cancer last summer and fall put things in better perspective, but since I'm still doing the same things now, I guess I had the right priorities for me all along.
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.
FBN2014

Post by FBN2014 »

See if any colleges near you have an Osher Learning Center where you can take short term courses on virtually any topic that interests you for a small cost. Good way to keep your mind active so it doesn't deteriorate. Also join a health club to keep in shape. Planet Fitness cost me $10/month. The wife plays pickleball at the town community center.
"October is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May March, June, December, August and February." - M. Twain
nguy44

Post by nguy44 »

I have been retired for just over a year and love it. My friends are still asking me "when are you going to do something with yourself?" I am enjoying going at my own pace. Golfing, bowling, biking, hiking, playing with computer and electronics hardware and software at my own interest, desire, and pace, dating my wife, chasing my wife around the house, travel we choose, yardwork and landscaping, catching up on a ton of fiction/historical reading, socializing with friends and family, going to ball games, light volunteer work, etc... I am plenty happy.

I actually sit around less now that I did when I was working. After 39+ years of working which was 25%-30% work related travel and daily commutes when not traveling, there were so many times I would come home and just veg out in front of the TV or in my "man cave". Interestingly, I use my man cave LESS now that I am retired. It was a great stress reliever, but iI not longer have that stress. My weight has gone down and my health has improved.

I do not worry about pleasing others in doing what they think would be "constructive" for me. Those years in the work force, paying plenty of taxes, while raising (with my wife) children that are now adults, and actively participating in various community organizations, was plenty constructive.

I have gotten about a dozen job offers/interest in interviewing me since retired, but all of them mean going back to a commute and working away from home... no thanks! Frankly I would consider part time "work" that averaged no more than a day a week from home, and was more reviewing/making recommendations type of work.

I have also been offered part time jobs but they involve physical labor. In my current good health and strength I want physical activities to be focused on my hobbies and not my jobs... as I have no guarantee how long my fitness will last, so better to spend it on fun things.
malbecman

Post by malbecman »

Remember that very little is needed to make a happy life. ― Marcus Aurelius
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

I probably can't call myself retired. Lost my job (knew it was coming - go paid to stay until the end) five months ago. My wife has a job (actually jobs given that she also works per diem). I'm unemployed. And I would much, much rather be working. Bored out of my mind. I don't like to watch TV. I'm not one for exercising. I don't enjoy reading anymore. No kids. No pets. No yard. Nothing to do but sit around the house. Stuck in Las Vegas. Great place to visit. Boring as heck if you've lived here a quarter century. I'm frankly tempted to get a job driving a taxi. Something to do. Better than sitting at home.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
kacang

Post by kacang »

"Sitting around and doing little" suggests expectations of productivity or performance, and "doing little" is subjective.

After years of being in a corporate rat race, my retirement activities would seem like I am "doing little". But I am grateful for the luxury of choice in retirement. If taking it slow & easy makes me happy, I will do so. If filling my days gives fulfilment, lots of activities are available. I enjoy doing things (or not doing them!) at my own pace.

The key thing is doing what makes you happy.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

"I work until dark every night, but I seldom start before sundown" describes my usual retirement day.
shess

Post by shess »

tealeaves wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:52 pm I'll be retiring fully soon, but have been semi retired for a year now and do very little in terms of outside activities.
I'm 50 and have been retired for a couple years. My finding is that true inactivity is like eating poorly - for a short while, it's fine, but if I let it run long enough, I start to notice that it is impacting my quality of life. Mostly, it's indirect things, like I'm not "busy enough", so I'm screwing around online or something, and then I don't get to bed at an appropriate time, then I feel miserable the next day, whereas when I've got a project, even if it's kinda backburner I structure other things in a better fashion.

One of the things which works best for me is to imagine what my perfect day would look like in 10 or 15 years, then do that. For me, that ends up being hiking and biking, and some ceramics work.
Strider

Post by Strider »

I retired at 72 and, after many years of a sedentary lifestyle, I joined a gym. I lift weights several days a week, and I swim laps. I also play with the Lionel trains from my boyhood, and I garden.

Couldn't be happier.

Strider
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

shess wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:58 am One of the things which works best for me is to imagine what my perfect day would look like in 10 or 15 years, then do that. For me, that ends up being hiking and biking, and some ceramics work.
Excellent strategy. Thanks for sharing.
Funding secured
Pilgprog

Post by Pilgprog »

cashboy wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:38 pm
tealeaves wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:52 pm I don't like to travel (DW likes to sometimes and does so with friends) and have little in the way of hobbies that consume any consequential effort or time. But I am happy.
enjoy your happiness :sharebeer

as time passes you might want to get involved in some things (like some of the ideas in this thread). until then, don't let the people in your life tell you that you have to do something with your time if you are happy enjoying life as you see fit.

me? at retirement i turned investing into a part time job (and hobby). I usually 'work' half a day on it. today i was listening in on a webinar about 'consumer staples'. fascinating. :D then i added another feature to one of my excel retirement spreadsheets.

only thing to be aware of is that you do not want to become a 'shut in' over the long haul. that happened to my sister after her retirement in a 'not good way'....
Me? I’m 90 now. The energy just didn’t turn off on retirement. First retired at 55 - then again 65, finally 75. Each time a colleague coaxed me back as a “consultant” (construction project mgt), and I found a new career in self employment and happier than ever. I finally quit consulting for good at about 85. Being self employed I had freedom to really develop interests (among them sailing, gardening, woodworking, RVtravel, reading). And I’ve always managed our financial/investing activity.

Numerous books have touched/impacted my life - the Bible; Bob Buford’s Half Time (turning success into significance - what some have done in the second half of life); Wm J Bernstein 4 Pillars, Jack Bogle Common Sense Investing; WEB Griffen The Corp series; Adler, How to Read a Book, to name a few.

Follow your heart would be my net bottom-line.
Allen (Pilgprog)

During this time of sel employment I
Quaestner

Post by Quaestner »

Try your full retirement for 6 months and see how it goes! Then, try an experiment and do a bit of volunteer work and/or find a hobby that requires some interaction with humans. Maybe you were indeed happy - but could you be happier?
(I may be writing to myself - I'm a bit scared to retire.)
basspond

Post by basspond »

Volunteering has been more satisfying and fulfilling then any job I had. Only do it about once a week. But I also play golf, fish, tennis, workout, take care of the house, and some DIY projects. I do watch more TV (DVR them) but more of the science and reality shows. I don’t know how I had enough time when I was working to do all the things I did outside of work. I guess I do them at a slower pace now.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

7eight9 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:29 pm I probably can't call myself retired. Lost my job (knew it was coming - go paid to stay until the end) five months ago. My wife has a job (actually jobs given that she also works per diem). I'm unemployed. And I would much, much rather be working. Bored out of my mind. I don't like to watch TV. I'm not one for exercising. I don't enjoy reading anymore. No kids. No pets. No yard. Nothing to do but sit around the house. Stuck in Las Vegas. Great place to visit. Boring as heck if you've lived here a quarter century. I'm frankly tempted to get a job driving a taxi. Something to do. Better than sitting at home.
Got friends? Any better job options than sedentary ones? I agree re: Vegas.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

About 15 years ago a friend invited me to a Rotary mtg. I joined shortly after. I enjoy it a lot, and have become involved in many facets of the organization. There is a weekly meeting with some type of speaker. Last week it was the local area tourism bureau, the previous week it was a presentation by a local person who had been a peace corps volunteer in the Caribbean, previous to that the local health dept on ongoing programs in the community. There a couple of fundraisers per year, and participation is actually fun, and we raise money for worthwhile organizations in the community, and give out two college scholarships. I've become friends with a number of other members, and occasionally get together socially with them and their spouses.

I'm actually still working, but cutting back more and more. Will probably cut it out all together in another two years.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

SrGrumpy wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:22 pm
7eight9 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:29 pm I probably can't call myself retired. Lost my job (knew it was coming - go paid to stay until the end) five months ago. My wife has a job (actually jobs given that she also works per diem). I'm unemployed. And I would much, much rather be working. Bored out of my mind. I don't like to watch TV. I'm not one for exercising. I don't enjoy reading anymore. No kids. No pets. No yard. Nothing to do but sit around the house. Stuck in Las Vegas. Great place to visit. Boring as heck if you've lived here a quarter century. I'm frankly tempted to get a job driving a taxi. Something to do. Better than sitting at home.
Got friends? Any better job options than sedentary ones? I agree re: Vegas.
Got friends? Other than my wife? No.

Any better job options than sedentary ones? I've pretty much always been a desk jockey sitting behind a spreadsheet. I don't mind sitting.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

3-20Characters wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:01 pm Do what you enjoy. You’ve earned it. Possible downsides are loneliness and isolation sneaking up on you. This can be hard to reverse, as building a social network is not like flipping a switch—especially as we age. Also, health/physical fitness. I would recommend you at least consider regular, good old-fashioned walks. If they are taken in places where the opportunity for social interaction exists, it may kill two birds with one stone.
+1 This is really important to understand. You can't suddenly create social networks. They require nurturing. Someday you may unexpectedly find yourself alone. Better to prepare for that possibility than to calculate the odds of that happening.

I am a loner. I like my own company and appreciate time to myself. In retirement I have less structured time than I thought I would (decided against volunteer commitments that require me to show up at predetermined days/times) and enjoy leisurely days with little human contact. But I have forced/encouraged myself to stay socially engaged -- on my own terms -- and am enjoying new friends and activities.

OP: You might want to try different activities to see if you can discover new opportunities to expand your world in retirement. On your own terms.

PS My personal rule is "TV is not turned on until evening."
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

43 and retired.

I read some articles and bogleheads in the morning. Yoga and meditate. Bike back and forth to the gym. Mental and physical health activities take up all of my morning.

Afternoon chores, yard and in house. Cook dinner for me and my wife. The instant pot is a marvel...LOL!! I also help run a guild in world of warcraft that takes my time. I really enjoy this game.

My wife and I take a lot of stay cations that involve biking, kayaking, fishing, golfing and hanging with family and friends.

I love that I don't have to answer to a boss or employer. I just have to answer to my wife. :sharebeer
VTI+VXUS. Global Market Weight.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

GerryL wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:39 pm
3-20Characters wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:01 pm Do what you enjoy. You’ve earned it. Possible downsides are loneliness and isolation sneaking up on you. This can be hard to reverse, as building a social network is not like flipping a switch—especially as we age. Also, health/physical fitness. I would recommend you at least consider regular, good old-fashioned walks. If they are taken in places where the opportunity for social interaction exists, it may kill two birds with one stone.
+1 This is really important to understand. You can't suddenly create social networks. They require nurturing. Someday you may unexpectedly find yourself alone. Better to prepare for that possibility than to calculate the odds of that happening.

I am a loner. I like my own company and appreciate time to myself. In retirement I have less structured time than I thought I would (decided against volunteer commitments that require me to show up at predetermined days/times) and enjoy leisurely days with little human contact. But I have forced/encouraged myself to stay socially engaged -- on my own terms -- and am enjoying new friends and activities.

OP: You might want to try different activities to see if you can discover new opportunities to expand your world in retirement. On your own terms.

I am actually decreasing my social network as time goes. I feel that old friends have been taking difficult views about virtually everything and we no longer have common things to talk about.
I find myself spending more and more time on various forums (retirement, finance, travel, etc.) and discussing various things of common interests with strangers.
IMO

Post by IMO »

flyingaway wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:31 am
GerryL wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:39 pm

I am actually decreasing my social network as time goes. I feel that old friends have been taking difficult views about virtually everything and we no longer have common things to talk about.
I find myself spending more and more time on various forums (retirement, finance, travel, etc.) and discussing various things of common interests with strangers.
This concept is an important consideration. In some instances, some people with retirement opt to downsize and/or move to a less expensive area often in another state. When you typically move to another area/state and are employed, you will naturally have a somewhat "instant" new social network of people via your work. If you move for retirement you don't have that instant work social environment, and it does take time/effort to create a new social network. Participating in activities/volunteering/getting to know your neighbors, etc can be helpful, but it is important to keep in mind things take time.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

tealeaves wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:52 pmWas wondering if others are out there that have been retired for a while and are similarly inactive have regrets that they don't have enough to fill their days.
I have no regrets.

I have plenty to fill my days. Lots of friends, family, hikes, beach, pickleball, some travel. Sometimes that involves sitting on my front porch and reading for hours. I love to read, but don't watch much TV except for football.

The best part of retirement is having the time to indulge yourself in whatever makes you happy.

Enjoy.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Count of Notre Dame

Post by Count of Notre Dame »

DanMahowny wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:17 pm Avid golfer, read 2-3 books p/wk, run 25 miles p/wk, advantage gambler, manage investments, maintain an efficient household, socialize, travel often, obedience/protection training 2 German Shepherds, weekly trips to gun range, photography, hanging with my awesome wife, and lots more stuff.

Wish there were more than 24 hours in a day.
I'm not retired, but I'm WFH during Covid and the days my job has not kept me busy I have found exercise is key - to have energy to do other things, but also to fill up the time and avoid having an alcoholic beverage before noon.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

tealeaves wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:52 pm I'll be retiring fully soon, but have been semi retired for a year now and do very little in terms of outside activities. I'm doing better at keeping active enough to get healthier and go out to eat once a week with my DW, but otherwise I'm not really retiring TO anything. I watch a lot of TV, Youtube, and read mostly online articles, but frankly much of my days are spent watching the paint dry (and that down time will only increase). I don't like to travel (DW likes to sometimes and does so with friends) and have little in the way of hobbies that consume any consequential effort or time. But I am happy. Was wondering if others are out there that have been retired for a while and are similarly inactive have regrets that they don't have enough to fill their days. Hoping I can get a glimpse of my future :)
Have you tried volunteering for something (could be anything that interests you) in your community? That might be a rewarding way to stay sharp and would keep you connected to the local community. (Although the middle of a pandemic may not the best time to start.)

But if you’re staying mentally and physically active, it sounds like you’re living the life!!
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:25 am Another thread makes it appear that many BHs have a lot of experience doing little even while “employed.” viewtopic.php?f=2&t=288693
Fascinating thread, thanks for posting this! I had no idea that people who make so much, work so little. Just assumed that professionals were busy 80+% of the time.

I have a burning curiosity so am constantly learning and analyzing. However, to an observer I just read a lot and sit at the computer. When the internet hit I became a kid in a candy store and it still hasn't stopped. I do make sure to get some exercise almost everyday, generally stretching on a yoga mat while watching TV, and some weight lifting. I get outside, weather permitting, to take a walk along the lake and also hit the beach occasionally.

I feel no pressure to accomplish anything useful, but occasionally it happens anyway:) I do enjoy working in the yard and around the house.

I'd recommend folks keep active for physical health. Here in Florida I see lots of seniors cooped up inside much of the year because it's so dang miserable outside with the heat, humidity and flying blood suckers. Their outside activity consists of walking to the mailbox. Old folks slowly but surely losing their mobility due to inactivity, not good.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

GreenLawn wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:08 pm
Fascinating thread, thanks for posting this! I had no idea that people who make so much, work so little. Just assumed that professionals were busy 80+% of the time.

I have a burning curiosity so am constantly learning and analyzing. However, to an observer I just read a lot and sit at the computer. When the internet hit I became a kid in a candy store and it still hasn't stopped. I do make sure to get some exercise almost everyday, generally stretching on a yoga mat while watching TV, and some weight lifting. I get outside, weather permitting, to take a walk along the lake and also hit the beach occasionally.

I feel no pressure to accomplish anything useful, but occasionally it happens anyway:) I do enjoy working in the yard and around the house.

I'd recommend folks keep active for physical health. Here in Florida I see lots of seniors cooped up inside much of the year because it's so dang miserable outside with the heat, humidity and flying blood suckers. Their outside activity consists of walking to the mailbox. Old folks slowly but surely losing their mobility due to inactivity, not good.
I thought people love to retire to Florida.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I'd consider myself in semi retirement. DW works full time. Found myself out of a job suddenly recently. Although working at home it became more of a time sink as time progressed. Liked the work content but other aspects became overly stressful.

With a kid in high school and one college age there's some minimal activity helping them. Do house chores. Sometimes sleep late. Work on various financial projects, like home refi, budgeting,quicken, estate planning research, etc. Decided every day to try to accomplish something, clean garage, organize a room. Mowing/ Yard work. Once covid subsides I'd like to go to the gym most days.

Need to update /catch up on CPE. Putting it off.

My weakness is getting sucked into message boards, like this one, and a different one on politics / sports. I do learn a lot doing that, but I really have to try to manage time invested or it can be too much. Don't watch TV in the day, but usually 2-3 hours at night.

I'd probably like to find some part time contracting or consulting. Historically I have been far happier doing that than being an employee. But those opportunities don't always grow on trees. I may put out feelers soon but would be content to wait until covid dies down. Longer term perhaps teaching part time at a community college?
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I’m enjoying it immensely. I sleep as long as I like, then sit around all morning reading and sipping coffee. I do some light household chores in the PM, and at night I read more and watch TV, usually news and old movies, no network TV. I listen to music too. Except for the chores I haven’t worked a lick.
Gray

Post by Gray »

I suggest a fitness watch so you can measure your activity level. Just because you retire, even if you don’t want to travel, it’s important to stay active and a good watch will keep you honest with yourself.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:04 pm I’m enjoying it immensely. I sleep as long as I like, then sit around all morning reading and sipping coffee. I do some light household chores in the PM, and at night I read more and watch TV, usually news and old movies, no network TV. I listen to music too. Except for the chores I haven’t worked a lick.
I want to be like this.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

I have been playing my guitar so much that it now needs to be refretted. That is an expensive procedure.
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:04 pm I’m enjoying it immensely. I sleep as long as I like, then sit around all morning reading and sipping coffee. I do some light household chores in the PM, and at night I read more and watch TV, usually news and old movies, no network TV. I listen to music too. Except for the chores I haven’t worked a lick.
Unfortunately I wish I can do this but I retired in my 40s and my child is still in elementary school. I need to wake up relatively early

I’m enjoying being on social media in retirement. I’m helping almost 50,000 followers improve their financial literacy. I’ve done 1400+ videos, regular live streams and been a guest on several podcasts. Retirement rocks! 👍🔥
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn »

flyingaway wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:37 pm
GreenLawn wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:08 pm

I thought people love to retire to Florida.
Yes, so did I. Hence, here I am. I think a major part of it is geography. I've met very few westerners who retire here. Cheap, close to relatives, already used to humid summers, and no snow. I can see the appeal to folks who've lived their lives east of the Mississippi. Which is not me.

Still, it's been interesting. Friendly southerners, very large reptiles, beautiful beaches with warm water (Pacific is cold). And there are folks who walk and bike in the heat with a smile on their face.

So, a good place for a lot of folks and I wish them well. My time here will be limited.
FBN2014

Post by FBN2014 »

flaccidsteele wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:37 pm
Unfortunately I wish I can do this but I retired in my 40s and my child is still in elementary school. I need to wake up relatively early

I’m enjoying being on social media in retirement. I’m helping almost 50,000 followers improve their financial literacy. I’ve done 1400+ videos, regular live streams and been a guest on several podcasts. Retirement rocks! 👍🔥
Do you have a website or YouTube channel you can share?
"October is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May March, June, December, August and February." - M. Twain
Monster99

Post by Monster99 »

3rd year of retirement - get up around 7, feed the colony of community cats we look after, do some housework in the am, drink some coffee, catch up on the news. I do the shopping and cooking and walk 2 to3 miles in the afternoon, and play golf once or twice a week. The next thing on the do list is to help a friend replace the brakes on his Lincoln....
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

Raybo wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:22 pm A bicycle can easily absorb 2+ hours a day with easy rides around the neighborhood.
This is terrific advice. You do whatever makes you happy in retirement but as in life a sedentary lifestyle is not healthy nor will it be in retirement. I'm a year and a half away and due to the pandemic have hardly worked the past 6 months. Kind of a preretirement retirement. I've had some downtime but have discovered there are plenty of things to keep one occupied. Enjoy doing whatever makes you happy but stay as active as possible.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

260chrisb wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:04 am...as in life a sedentary lifestyle is not healthy nor will it be in retirement.

I didn't realize that retirement was not part of life. :D
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

FBN2014 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:26 am
flaccidsteele wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:37 pm

Do you have a website or YouTube channel you can share?
I do. Send me a PM. I don’t want to advertise on the forums
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Some of my retired friends engage in very little activity, physical or mental. I've noticed that they seem to age more quickly than those of us who stay active and involved in social activities, hobbies, side gigs, etc. I would recommend finding some things to keep your body and mind active. Use it or lose it as they say.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

There are always plenty of options, and it is quite amazing how things that you routinely did during working days that you just did when you worked them in rather than scheduling them can fill time. Things like working in the yard, going to get light bulbs at HD, etc. Also, it is also part of my "Plan" to schedule nothing at times. That may appear to be doing nothing, but doing nothing is sometimes doing something.

Tim
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Howdy

All of these confounded overachievers are making me look bad :P

Doing nothing is what I do best

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

GreenLawn wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:02 pm
flyingaway wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:37 pm I thought people love to retire to Florida.
Yes, so did I. Hence, here I am. I think a major part of it is geography. I've met very few westerners who retire here. Cheap, close to relatives, already used to humid summers, and no snow. I can see the appeal to folks who've lived their lives east of the Mississippi. Which is not me.

So, a good place for a lot of folks and I wish them well. My time here will be limited.
That's funny. I grew up East of the MIssissippi and NEVER got used to humid summers. I hated them. 115 degrees in the desert is much preferable to 95/95 temp/humidity. We don't even need to begin to discuss mosquitos.....

I would welcome some occasional snow, simply because I don't have to leave the house if I don't want to and watching snow from a warm home is very enjoyable.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

Monster99 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:49 am 3rd year of retirement - get up around 7, feed the colony of community cats we look after, do some housework in the am, drink some coffee, catch up on the news. I do the shopping and cooking and walk 2 to3 miles in the afternoon, and play golf once or twice a week. The next thing on the do list is to help a friend replace the brakes on his Lincoln....
... and the end of the day?
Monster99

Post by Monster99 »

After dinner catch up on some reading, check up on the blogs, ect. Basically whatever I want to do.... that is the best about retirement, setting my own schedule and goals to accomplish.
Kelrex

Post by Kelrex »

The thing is, it can be hard to predict how you will respond to having almost all of your time free until you have it. It's a totally different experience.

The beauty is, you can do what you want. That's the whole point.

If doing very little, even with no obligations, keeps you contented, then that's great. Meanwhile, if you start feeling like you want to take more on, then go for it.

Your time will be your own, and the whole point of retiring is to do with it as you please.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

In our 5th year of retirement. The pandemic has changed our situation considerably.

Prior to it rearing its ugly head, we traveled considerably (7-9 trips per year of one week or longer in duration). Up until two weeks ago, we had not traveled since returning from a ski trip to Canada in early March of this year. Last week we did venture out for a multi-day trip to a boutique spa resort within driving distance of our house.

I am also gym rat, going to the gym 5-6 days per week every week (other than when traveling) for the better part of my adult life. That has been another tough pill to swallow. Gym closed on March 16th (it was a Monday and I remember vividly getting an e-mail while lifting alerting me to the fact that our governor just issued an order than all gyms were to close by 8pm that evening). Even though the gym has reopened a few weeks ago, I'm taking a cautious approach to returning (DW has some underlying health conditions). Thankfully, I was able to secure a set of resistance bands the week the gym closed (which I've added to considerably over time) and have been using them in place of the gym ever since. But boy do I miss the camaraderie of the gym (in addition to the equipment).

I say all of this to make the point that we are in fact spending most of our time hanging around the house not doing a lot - not so much by choice, but because this lifestyle has been forced upon us. If I were planning on retiring to this lifestyle I highly doubt I would have retired in the first place. We are chomping at the bit to return to our lifestyle pre-pandemic.

Having said that, everyone is different (different strokes for different folks). So OP, you do you as a lifestyle sitting around with little to do in retirement may well fit you like a glove.

As Kelrex said in the post directly above mine, "Your time will be your own, and the whole point of retiring is to do with it as you please."

Good luck.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
snowox

Post by snowox »

We retired at 50 but after a year of being home with me the DW went back to work :wink: Kinda more for Health Insurance protection plus she just loves the social thing with ladies at work. So being not a long sleeper I usually get up around 3-4am and spend a couple hours looking at investments and reading stuff online with the TV, News on in the background 5am Squawk Box. We have 4 kids 2 in college and 2 in HS but only 1 is gone so 3 at home so there is some obvious interaction there and once they leave for school 3-4 days a week minimum I go for a bike ride. I use to go to the gym everyday but dont feel comfortable yet and the biking has been fulfilling. We moved to our final home most likely on a lake so I have a ton of projects to do but more days then not I put them off. I will go really hard for a day or week then back off as I have bad knees and now 56 my joints and stuff hurt from not taking care of myself from sports young. But I usually make dinner to be ready when everyone gets home and Wife and I watch TV and usually both fall asleep in our chairs get up at 10 and go to bed. She gets up usually 4:30 for work. Moving to a new area we have/are making alot of new friends and everyone is really active so we do participate usually in something at least once every two weeks and go to dinner just the two of us once a week. At times I get a little bored because I dont love doing projects and after my bike ride will just chill rest of the day but in the big scheme of things I am content. We have been here for 9 months and I have done a ton of work and 75% of it myself so when I feel guilty that I am not doing enough I just have to look and remind myself what I have done. Usually take an afternoon nap after lunch which I get a great nap!! While there is things I want to do and places I want to see in due time. I am an internal worry wart so its good I have the extra time to really think about things on how I want to proceed on redoing the house to helping the kids and our finances. So as others have said what might seemingly be like not doing anything to oneself might be more than one might think. As long as your happy.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

The only thing I don't enjoy is having to fill out my list of things I don't have to do every day. It gets tiresome.

:oops: Doh! I just realized I don't have to fill out no stinking list at all!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

MikeG62 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:00 amIn our 5th year of retirement. The pandemic has changed our situation considerably.

Prior to it rearing its ugly head, we traveled considerably (7-9 trips per year of one week or longer in duration). Up until two weeks ago, we had not traveled since returning from a ski trip to Canada in early March of this year.
3rd and 6th year here and while we did not travel as much as you, we had been doing 2 or 3 trips per year (usually about 10 days for each) plus visiting our grandchild about 6-7 times per year for 3 nights (occupying 4 days). Adding that up, it's maybe around 50 days away from home per year. I did most of the planning for trips and visits, that plus recovery days after getting home absorbed quite a bit more time, maybe another 10-15 days worth of time. So it looks like all together that stuff accounts for at least 2 months of each year. Wow :!: I didn't realize how significant a change this is until adding all that up. And that does not even count the few things we would do locally that would occupy a day or half day here and there.

Our 2-3 longer trips were winter escapes and we'd gotten back from our second one in early March, so far it's only the planning of what would've been this winter's trips and what would've been maybe 4 grandchild visits that have been deleted from my activities. We're hoping that we'll feel comfortable enough to at least take a driving trip or two during the following winter (2021/22).
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

jeffyscott wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:39 am
MikeG62 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:00 amIn our 5th year of retirement. The pandemic has changed our situation considerably.

Prior to it rearing its ugly head, we traveled considerably (7-9 trips per year of one week or longer in duration). Up until two weeks ago, we had not traveled since returning from a ski trip to Canada in early March of this year.
3rd and 6th year here and while we did not travel as much as you, we had been doing 2 or 3 trips per year (usually about 10 days for each) plus visiting our grandchild about 6-7 times per year for 3 nights (occupying 4 days). Adding that up, it's maybe around 50 days away from home per year. I did most of the planning for trips and visits, that plus recovery days after getting home absorbed quite a bit more time, maybe another 10-15 days worth of time. So it looks like all together that stuff accounts for at least 2 months of each year. Wow :!: I didn't realize how significant a change this is until adding all that up. And that does not even count the few things we would do locally that would occupy a day or half day here and there.

Our 2-3 longer trips were winter escapes and we'd gotten back from our second one in early March, so far it's only the planning of what would've been this winter's trips and what would've been maybe 4 grandchild visits that have been deleted from my activities. We're hoping that we'll feel comfortable enough to at least take a driving trip or two during the following winter (2021/22).
You are absolutely right. The planning for all these trips takes a good deal of time. I've often told people that in some ways it was like a part time job (where do we want to go, where will we stay when there, where should we eat while there, what will we do while there, etc...). It's a lot more than people might think who have not done this before. And taking this many trips means finding new locations to visit gets harder and harder as the list of places we have not visited, but would like to, becomes smaller and smaller.

We currently have two trips booked for 2021 (one in March and the second in early June). Hotels and airfares already booked (and we have chosen to pay for first class tickets in order to stay as far away from the masses in the main cabin as possible (and no one sitting next to us) - hoping this will get DW more comfortable and willing to fly). We will bring/wear all appropriate forms of PPE (including potentially eye protection). Hoping by then the situation with Covid-19 will be considerably improved too.

I hope you get comfortable with taking some driving trips. We just went away to a small boutique spa resort for several nights and it was very clean with lot's of safety precautions in place (temp checks every time we walked into the building, no maid service during our stay so as to ensure no one entered our room after we arrived, etc...). We ate all meals either outdoors or in the case of breakfast in our room. We felt the risk we took was quite small indeed. This trip improved our mental state dramatically.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
wander

Post by wander »

By definition, retirement is:
the point at which someone stops working, esp. because of having reached a particular age or because of ill health, or the period in someone’s life after the person has stopped working:
Just enjoy the results of your hard work.