Anybody else enjoy sitting around and doing little in retirement?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tealeaves

Anybody else enjoy sitting around and doing little in retirement?

Post by tealeaves »

I'll be retiring fully soon, but have been semi retired for a year now and do very little in terms of outside activities. I'm doing better at keeping active enough to get healthier and go out to eat once a week with my DW, but otherwise I'm not really retiring TO anything. I watch a lot of TV, Youtube, and read mostly online articles, but frankly much of my days are spent watching the paint dry (and that down time will only increase). I don't like to travel (DW likes to sometimes and does so with friends) and have little in the way of hobbies that consume any consequential effort or time. But I am happy. Was wondering if others are out there that have been retired for a while and are similarly inactive have regrets that they don't have enough to fill their days. Hoping I can get a glimpse of my future :)
ohai

Re: Anybody else enjoy sitting around and doing little in retirement?

Post by ohai »

Not me, but it seems that most people I see retire have some kind of primary hobby, like gardening, music group, some kind of sports club, art, or something like that. Something like 3 hours a day seems to be enough to keep them from going crazy. Another example might be stay at home parents whose kids go to college - in particular, this group is usually younger than retirees, and have more energy to do activities.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I was a Stay-at-home-Dad, so essentially my kids "retired" me some years ago.

I am involved in a complicated multi-part home renovation, which takes up more brain cells than you'd think it would for someone who doesn't pick up a hammer. That will come to an end in the next couple of months. I have two dogs and two cats. The dogs require a fair amount of active time; the cats not so much.

I volunteer a bit, but I think I will probably expand my involvement in volunteering once the renovation is done.

My wife and I discuss her job, and I offer my advice to the level of my ability.

On one level, I'm doing little, but somehow, at the end of the day, I fall asleep without difficulty.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

I spend my free time at the library, sitting in the park reading the paper, food shopping for my wife, watching tennis on TV. Sure sometimes it gets a bit quiet but it beats working!
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

If you are happy that's what its all about.
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

I suggest a good pair of tennis shoes and a dog for exercise. Walk around the neighborhood and meet the neighbors.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

A bicycle can easily absorb 2+ hours a day with easy rides around the neighborhood.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

We hike, camp, backpack, paddle board, mountain bike. There's lots of fun stuff to do out there and beautiful places to see.

If you live anywhere near a national park, get yourself a national park pass and head out. As a retired person, you'd have the flexibility to visit beautiful places mid week and when school is in session so you avoid crowds.
Last edited by DSInvestor on Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki
akblizzard

Post by akblizzard »

tealeaves wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:52 pm I'll be retiring fully soon, but have been semi retired for a year now and do very little in terms of outside activities. I'm doing better at keeping active enough to get healthier and go out to eat once a week with my DW, but otherwise I'm not really retiring TO anything. I watch a lot of TV, Youtube, and read mostly online articles, but frankly much of my days are spent watching the paint dry (and that down time will only increase). I don't like to travel (DW likes to sometimes and does so with friends) and have little in the way of hobbies that consume any consequential effort or time. But I am happy. Was wondering if others are out there that have been retired for a while and are similarly inactive have regrets that they don't have enough to fill their days. Hoping I can get a glimpse of my future :)
Retired two years, in early 60’s. I too did not retire to anything. Although my hobbies and activities do keep me pretty occupied, it’s mainly in the warm months. I think I may be pretty active compared to others my age (not sure really). I do a lot of walking, biking, backpacking, and motorcycle touring. In winter I often am in your situation. But I too am happy for now with some time just to goof off. I make a point not to turn on the TV, but since retiring I am the designated chef and housekeeper as Dear Spouse is still working.

I suggest not worrying too much...because you say you’re happy. I think that’s ok as long as your health doesn’t suffer as you “watch the paint dry”. And I suggest being open to new opportunities that find you. For example I was invited to a coffee group that meets one morning a week through the winter.
wm631

Post by wm631 »

tealeaves wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:52 pm I'll be retiring fully soon, but have been semi retired for a year now and do very little in terms of outside activities. I'm doing better at keeping active enough to get healthier and go out to eat once a week with my DW, but otherwise I'm not really retiring TO anything. I watch a lot of TV, Youtube, and read mostly online articles, but frankly much of my days are spent watching the paint dry (and that down time will only increase). I don't like to travel (DW likes to sometimes and does so with friends) and have little in the way of hobbies that consume any consequential effort or time. But I am happy. Was wondering if others are out there that have been retired for a while and are similarly inactive have regrets that they don't have enough to fill their days. Hoping I can get a glimpse of my future :)
When I decided finally to pull the trigger and early retire at 60, my financial adviser - who had explained to me a couple of years earlier that I had enough funds to do it then - asked what my big plans were now. My answer was, "Charlie, I just want my time back". Meaning the 10-12 workday hours necessary for a job. That's still my answer.

FIND a hobby. Volunteer for charitable work. Start working on the job jar projects around the house. This isn't hard to figure out.

Most of all, enjoy that extra cup of coffee in the morning. Without having to go anywhere. Think about things, where you've been - what you've learned.
Last edited by wm631 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nchowrin

Post by nchowrin »

I've been retired for nearly 16 years. When people ask me what I do all day, I reply: "Absolutely nothing, and I don't even get around to doing that until after 5 O'clock!" I haven't been bored for a second during that entire time.
smectym

Post by smectym »

I let the outside activities "come to me," but don't go looking for them (or do them only) for fear of having nothing to do. So far that has worked out well. I think the #1 fear I would have in retirement is living alone--something I've never done except for a couple of months when I was 17, and I didn't like it then.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I consider myself semi-retired with lots of free time (teaching job) and is seriously about full-time retirement. I like to travel and have been to 9 countries this year, sometimes with my wife and sometimes solo. I have a vegetable and fruit garden which I do pay lots of attentions.
However, when I am at home, I do have the tendency of not doing anything useful. I take a nap after lunch, spend lots of time on computer reading travel, finance, retirement, etc. I have lots of things around my house that I could do, but I barely want to do them. Usually, I tell myself that I need to do at least ONE thing meaningful each day. What I did today was to call insurance agencies to see if I could get better deals for my car and house (my wife told me to do that). No better deal.
I am also worried about having little things to do in retirement, see my recent threads about Uber driving and selling fruits from garden. But I guess that I will be OK, and I am sure that you will be OK.
sport

Post by sport »

If you want a good hobby for retirees, I recommend Duplicate Bridge. It is good excellent mental exercise. It keeps the brain active. You get to meet a variety of interesting people. You will make new friends. Best of all, it is a lot of fun. For details see
www.acbl.org
louiethelilac

Post by louiethelilac »

smectym wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:42 pm I let the outside activities "come to me," but don't go looking for them (or do them only) for fear of having nothing to do. So far that has worked out well. I think the #1 fear I would have in retirement is living alone--something I've never done except for a couple of months when I was 17, and I didn't like it then.
I do believe this is a key factor. I know several retirees with few outside interests who happily passed the time until after they lost spouses/partners. Then (after the grieving period of course) trying to fill up their days became a major focus/issue, sometimes alleviated by moving into adult communities.
J295

Post by J295 »

If you are "fully satisfied" then excellent .... if not, consider digging deep and be mindful about where you look for insights .....

"You can't follow your own path if you're on the road to another person's city."
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

If it works for you, that is absolutely fine. People are different. I'm a lot more active than you, but I know people that make me feel like a total couch potato.

Though I confess your schedule would drive me quickly to working.

Also, at some point you won't be able to do as many things (illness, etc). So you should ponder if there is anything you might want to take a crack at (and later remember fondly) while you still can.
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

Avid golfer, read 2-3 books p/wk, run 25 miles p/wk, advantage gambler, manage investments, maintain an efficient household, socialize, travel often, obedience/protection training 2 German Shepherds, weekly trips to gun range, photography, hanging with my awesome wife, and lots more stuff.

Wish there were more than 24 hours in a day.
Funding secured
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

If it makes you happy then great. Personally I'd probably need a 50/50 mix of activity and down time, especially to watch sunsets.
zztr87

Post by zztr87 »

But I am happy
Yes, that is all that matters.

I might be in a similar situation in about four months. I don't have big plans either. However, I did enroll in grad school to study an area that I've gotten interested in. I do have five years to finish so there's no rush. Beyond that, I will "allow" life to work itself out. I borrowed a couple of Ernie Zelinski's books from the library. Interesting reads ... check them out ... you may like reading them.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Title says it all for me, OP. For years friends have asked what I spend my time doing and I can only stammer. But I'm having a blast doing it!

DW still works part-time, but we do travel some--one or two one-week+ vacations per year and several 2-5 day trips primarily to visit friends and relatives. We eat out 2+ times per week, attend a number of home/small-venue concerts, etc.

I finally got a little bored of my "home" routine of surfing the internet while listening to music during the day, TV with DW in the evenings, etc. I have learned to drink better coffee in the mornings and better wine in the evenings. Routine yard work (1.5 acres) and home maintenance occupies more of my time than I like, but I bristle at the idea of down-sizing. I have learned better grilling techniques and learned how to use a smoker--and I spend much more time doing both.

DW has wanted to get a dog for a long time, but I have balked due to our traveling. Our travels have slowed down some, so we recently acquired a couple of dogs. One of the best decisions we have ever made. DW is ecstatic around them. They take up a chunk of my time with feeding and walking them (our yard is unfenced, so walking them on a leash is mandatory for us). Training them fills up as much of each day as I want it to. The exercise that I have neglected for the past few years has been forced upon me.

It still feels like I'm doing nothing, but I am enjoying it more and more every day. When I get to the point that I'm twiddling my thumbs, I will probably begin to get concerned.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

I grew up with parents who felt there is always something else to do, and if I didn't have something to do, they could find a task. That led to a strong focus on following through with commitments that became obsessive at times as the goal was to finish so that I could relax. In retirement, others know that there are times when it looks like nothing is being done, but that is inaccurate as "the plan" is exactly that...…..to have times when doing nothing is doing exactly what retirement offers, a deserved opportunity to do nothing at times.

Tim
visualguy

Post by visualguy »

OP,

From my perspective. this kind of lifestyle may be ok for a couple of years, but not many years... I guess it isn't really possible to generalize - it's different for different people, so it may not be the same for you, but I would expect to get increasingly depressed with time if it was me.
3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters »

Do what you enjoy. You’ve earned it. Possible downsides are loneliness and isolation sneaking up on you. This can be hard to reverse, as building a social network is not like flipping a switch—especially as we age. Also, health/physical fitness. I would recommend you at least consider regular, good old-fashioned walks. If they are taken in places where the opportunity for social interaction exists, it may kill two birds with one stone.
Topic Author
tealeaves

Post by tealeaves »

DanMahowny wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:17 pm Avid golfer, read 2-3 books p/wk, run 25 miles p/wk, advantage gambler, manage investments, maintain an efficient household, socialize, travel often, obedience/protection training 2 German Shepherds, weekly trips to gun range, photography, hanging with my awesome wife, and lots more stuff.

Wish there were more than 24 hours in a day.
OP here. Kudos to you for maintaining such an active lifestyle! Though I must admit that just reading this pushed me to take a short nap.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:02 pm ...at the end of the day, I fall asleep without difficulty.
I think that's the sign of a life well-lived on several levels.
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

tealeaves wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:52 pm I don't like to travel (DW likes to sometimes and does so with friends) and have little in the way of hobbies that consume any consequential effort or time. But I am happy.
enjoy your happiness :sharebeer

as time passes you might want to get involved in some things (like some of the ideas in this thread). until then, don't let the people in your life tell you that you have to do something with your time if you are happy enjoying life as you see fit.

me? at retirement i turned investing into a part time job (and hobby). I usually 'work' half a day on it. today i was listening in on a webinar about 'consumer staples'. fascinating. :D then i added another feature to one of my excel retirement spreadsheets.

only thing to be aware of is that you do not want to become a 'shut in' over the long haul. that happened to my sister after her retirement in a 'not good way'....
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
four7s

Post by four7s »

Rule # 1 for retirees: Don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

Many folks simply can’t accept the fact that they are valuable without some purpose for living. I view retirement as the garden of eden before the original sin. I sit back, relax, and enjoy the life that I have been blessed with. If you feel that your worthless unless you have something to do, find something to do. I simply do what is necessary and don’t get upset if I find that nothing is really necessary. My mission is happiness and I am willing to do what is necessary to accomplish my mission. Most of the time that is nothing.

DMW
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

Yes.
Yes.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

I am 56 and have been retired for the last 11 years. I am a bit of a loner so being alone and not doing much is perfectly natural for me. I had some hobbies and activities lined up prior to my retirement which began 7 years earlier when I stopped working full-time and switched to part0time. Some of those activities have ended and I have not sought to replace them. I don't need to be out to be busy, as most of my remaining activities are solo.

Because the commute to work burnt me out, I have no desire to travel. I haven't been on an airplane in 15 years and have no plan or desire to fly again. I did make a long tip by train to visit my ladyfriend's family, 700 miles away. My ladyfriend works full-time and lives nearby so I see her most evenings and all weekends.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

Im NOT retired and honestly I would go out of my mind without hobbies to keep me busy.... but I did want to say thanks to the OP for proving I'm not the only one who doesn't feel the drive to fill every waking moment of my life with exotic travel and "experiences" which seem to be the rage all over.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I have been retired 9 years (age 74). I am kind of the opposite of the OP. I do volunteer work for my church, serve as treasurer for a retiree group, do work around the house, exercise and the list goes on. I have much more free time than when I was working but I want to counterbalance that with activities that enable me to give back, interact with people, engage in mind stimulating activities, etc.

I would encourage the OP to find activities that they enjoy. By all means, enjoy your free time. I have heard experts claim that people who become inactive are more susceptible to health issues, drugs and dementia. I think some mix of physical activities, brain stimulation and social interaction are needed by everyone.

Best wishes in your retirement.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

jharkin wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:44 am Im NOT retired and honestly I would go out of my mind without hobbies to keep me busy.... but I did want to say thanks to the OP for proving I'm not the only one who doesn't feel the drive to fill every waking moment of my life with exotic travel and "experiences" which seem to be the rage all over.
If you live in a region with distinct seasonal changes, especially the New England, it will keep you busy just trying to keep up with the seasonal changes of weather and everyday life. Winter-Spring-Summer-Autumn-and back to Winter again. One year my son kept wearing short pants to school into the later part of a year and I got a phone call from school wondering about possible child neglect. The year-around mild weather and retirement is a deadly combination. You don't have to watch out weather, bring out winter jackets, shovel snow, sweep fall leaves, follow short fall activities such as apple cider pressing, or winterize the house and garden. You sit, idle away, and fade away.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Another thread makes it appear that many BHs have a lot of experience doing little even while “employed.” viewtopic.php?f=2&t=288693
SQRT

Post by SQRT »

Retired 13 years. Moved across the country. Bought vacation homes. Took up new activities(skiing and biking). Made a lot of new friends. More travel to more interesting places. A lot of real estate reno’s,etc that needed planning and management. Much more time spent on physical fitness. Joined not for profit board. Joined mentoring program at local MBA school for a few years. Not sure how I found time to work? Don’t feel any need to be “productive” or even busy for that matter. Just do what I want and this is what I want.

Quite a bit different than your plan but “whatever makes you happy” is all you need to worry about.
Last edited by SQRT on Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

Retired 15 yrs now, I am a professional at killing time and watching paint dry.
Whatever floats yer boat :D
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I'm not one to sit around. I will stay active with various hobbies and volunteer work until I am no longer able. Then I will jump into a volcano.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

Sitting around not for me.
I play racquetball/golf on Tuesdays, do yoga on Mon-Wed-Fri, walk 2 miles 5 days a week, do 140 pushups 4 or 5 days a week, lift light weights 2/3 days a week.
Sitting around waiting to die ain't for me....
When they come for me, it's gonna be kicking and screaming all the way!!
Stay active....feel better....look better!
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Long walks
Long bike rides
Making good coffee
Drinking good coffee
Learn a language (Free on Duo Lingo)
Practice Guitar and Ukulele (Get a $50 Classical Guitar and teach yourself)
Another long walk
Jogging and weightlifting
Yoga, meditation, stretching
Investment checkup time
Bogleheads time
Making lunch
Making dinner
Small house projects
Another long bike ride

I would watch 1-2 hours max of TV. Make it a treat instead of a hobby. Watch specific shows.

Find things that interest you and don't require large outlays of cash or time. I can dabble at the guitar and try to learn a new song and then just set it aside.

Good luck!
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

One of my uncles lived to age 86 and worked until a few months before his death. I asked him why he continued to work. He said that if he watched TV all the time or sit on his porch doing nothing he would go nuts. I am afraid the same thing would happen to me if I do not maintain an active lifestyle.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

carolinaman wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:43 am One of my uncles lived to age 86 and worked until a few months before his death. I asked him why he continued to work. He said that if he watched TV all the time or sit on his porch doing nothing he would go nuts. I am afraid the same thing would happen to me if I do not maintain an active lifestyle.
My FIL works almost full time at age 91. He travels a lot for his work. He loves being appreciated for his brain. My wife got that gene, I think, which is both good and bad.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

nchowrin wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:37 pm I've been retired for nearly 16 years. When people ask me what I do all day, I reply: "Absolutely nothing, and I don't even get around to doing that until after 5 O'clock!" I haven't been bored for a second during that entire time.
That's a good one, my spouse came up with the answer: "whatever I want", I've adopted that one.

I don't do much, most days I go for a 4 mile walk (about 1 hour) on days I don't walk I use elliptical. I've got a kindle, a library, and netflix. No hobbies, I don't even like the word for some reason. Over-analyzing and over-researching every decision absorbs some time, maybe that's a hobby :?: ...or a personality disorder.

We do take 2-3 trips per year about 1-2 weeks each time. Also about 6-8 trips to see our only grandchild (and parent of same), who lives several hundred miles away. So I guess that all adds up to about 6-8 weeks away from home in a year.
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:02 pm I was a Stay-at-home-Dad, so essentially my kids "retired" me some years ago.

I am involved in a complicated multi-part home renovation, which takes up more brain cells than you'd think it would for someone who doesn't pick up a hammer. That will come to an end in the next couple of months. I have two dogs and two cats. The dogs require a fair amount of active time; the cats not so much.

I volunteer a bit, but I think I will probably expand my involvement in volunteering once the renovation is done.

My wife and I discuss her job, and I offer my advice to the level of my ability.

On one level, I'm doing little, but somehow, at the end of the day, I fall asleep without difficulty.
With the exception of the dogs and cats and that I'm the one doing my home multi-part renovation, this pretty much describes my life. I've been actually trying to reduce my volunteering as it seems to be getting out of hand. I want more time to "watch paint dry".
Last edited by lthenderson on Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

My Dad did nothing for the first couple of years after retirement. Said he had been working since he was a boy on a farm. However, after a couple of years, he got up and more active. In retrospective, he wished he had not been so resolute with the doing nothing thing.

I think it depends on your definition of doing nothing. If you will be taking care of yourself and your surroundings, cooking meals, cleaning, laundry, yard work, investing, etc then you are not doing nothing. Throw in a lunch or dinner with friends and attending family events and you have some social interaction. Maybe some walking or shopping as desired. In other words, not having schedules and hobbies is not the same as doing nothing.

To me, the dangerous form of doing nothing that I have observed is the person who retires and sits in their recliner watching TV or mindlessly internet surfing cat videos though physically healthy. Meanwhile, their spouse, kids or hired help take care of everything leaving them with the responsibility to shower and dress themselves.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:49 am My FIL works almost full time at age 91. He travels a lot for his work. He loves being appreciated for his brain. My wife got that gene, I think, which is both good and bad.
My father who is 83 worked full time until he was 82 despite not needing to all. I told him he needed to get a hobby to which he responded work is my hobby lol. I have certainly (at least so far) not got that gene though I respect folks that do.

To OP: If you are happy doing little then keep on doing it. That is not the way I'll likely retire but there is nothing wrong with doing nothing if that is what makes you happy.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I still have another 3-4 years before retirement but I have several friends who retired in their mid/upper 50s. Some stay busy with various activities, others I honestly don't have a clue what they do or if they even leave the house most days. Some people are pretty happy being by themselves and others need social activities but don't have it. I thought a couple of them would do more activities and work on getting in shape but unfortunately they haven't and it can't be healthy.

Some people enjoy doing nothing on vacations (just relaxing on a beach) and others would go crazy if they had to do that (me!).

In my case if you give me a computer, Internet and a tv I'm pretty happy. I'll go out at HH and people watch. I would also have more time to go to the gym. I know going after work I'm often dragging but on the weekends I am much more productive at the gym so hopefully I'd be able to do that 3-4 times a week.

While I admit to not being a big people person I do think it is important to have some friends and activities where you get out and talk with people. As I've gotten older I realize how important it is and when I was younger I pretended it didn't matter to me. Would be one thing I would change in my life (get out and do more things and don't be afraid of the outcome).

Like anything in life it all varies with the person. Some people have had stressful and long working days while others have mostly stuck to a 40 hr work week and actually enjoyed their work and coworkers. Right now my job is very boring so I will probably be looking elsewhere since I don't want to end my career like this, I'd rather go out on a higher note doing something I enjoy.

I do recall previously working in AZ with a pretty flexible schedule and often would be on a golf course Tuesday afternoons enjoying the scenery and thinking "I better enjoy this because there is no guarantee you'll get to retirement and not everyone can do this while in their 40s". My parents weren't so lucky. My mother got sick with a rare disease (not curable) and from about the time my father retired to 10 years later just got worse and worse until she passed away. It certainly wasn't how my father had hoped his retirement years would go although he never complained about the situation. I try to learn from that and do fun things now and worry about other stuff later (not always successful on that).
Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... »

I gave some advance consideration to the topic of what I would do when I retired, but didn’t plan out a comprehensive agenda. Since retirement though, I’ve been just as busy as pre-retirement...just in different areas. I’m now working out 6x/wk, traveling (day- and longer trips), taking a few art classes, doing some home improvement projects, managing our simple portfolio, making new friends, hiking and biking, shooting at local range, reading, planning and cooking some meals, mandatory 30-45 minute afternoon nap, watching the occasional Netflix/Amazon Prime show, etc. My “structure” involves getting up early, having coffee and reading the morning paper (!) cover-to-cover...but that’s about it. Some people would consider this as doing little. I, however, am thoroughly satisfied and happy.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I haven’t done much since I retired over a year ago. Now I am starting to “wake up” and have started making plans which are more than day dreams. I figure as long as I am content all is good.

P.S. I am beginning to be a better cook. Spent 2.5 hrs in the kitchen and made a terrible mess. Today will spend several hours cleaning the kitchen. ( the food was good).
9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited »

I once took a week off in between jobs and thought I’d lose my mind. Zero chance this lifestyle would suit me, but I see nothing wrong with it suiting you!