How to remove security system in new home?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
angelescrest

How to remove security system in new home?

Post by angelescrest » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:21 am

We purchased a newish home and it has a Hawk security system installed in it. There's a panel, possibly a video doorbell, and every so often it makes noise. I called the company, and unsurprisingly, they could give me no instructions on how to remove it and just wanted to sign me up on an expensive monthly plan.

Any idea on how I remove this from my home? I don't trust having it remain, and every so often it makes noises. I think the panel is hard-wired in, as it's not plugged into an electrical outlet.

lthenderson

Re: How to remove security system in new home?

Post by lthenderson » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:46 am

I would just replace the doorbell with one of my own. They are pretty simple to replace. If I wasn't interested in ever using Hawk service or the "panel", I would remove it as well.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:48 am

In my area, I don’t find the quality of work/skill level of home security techs that great and the hourly rate charged by large security companies is high. So if it’s hard wired and you don’t want another hard wired security system, suggest having an electrician do the work. S/he can also install a new doorbell.

If you do want a replacement security system, I’d talk to a home security company as they might be able to reuse some of the wiring for the new system depending on what type of system you install.

Before you de-install the system, check into whether it’s doing more than just security/burglary alarm. Systems may also have sensors for smoke/heat, CO and water leaks. If so, you would want to replace smoke/heat/CO sensors at the same time the old system is deinstalled.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:48 am

Alarm systems are not hardwired to electricity. There is usually a control box, often in the basement, where the keypad's wires go to, a backup battery inside, and an adapter going to an AC outlet.

It is important to determine the make and model of the alarm system, vs the company that installed it. Good internet searching will often show you how to reprogram it.

Our house had a system installed when it was new. When we bought it, installing company refused to help. I found the factory default codes online, reprogrammed the panel, and setup monitoring with AlarmRelay. Been using the system for 12 years now.

Good forums - https://forum.smarthome.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=11

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/elec ... evices-87/
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:54 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:48 am
It is important to determine the make and model of the alarm system, vs the company that installed it. Good internet searching will often show you how to reprogram it.
I would suggest that one doesn't need to know any of that to REMOVE an alarm system. Figure out where it is plugged in, disconnect it and start cutting wires. Simple enough.

Alarm systems are low voltage and if you aren't trying to salvage anything, simply cut cut cut.

daheld

Post by daheld » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:01 am

miamivice wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:54 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
I would suggest that one doesn't need to know any of that to REMOVE an alarm system. Figure out where it is plugged in, disconnect it and start cutting wires. Simple enough.

Alarm systems are low voltage and if you aren't trying to salvage anything, simply cut cut cut.
I'd caution OP to not do this. The alarm should be able to be de-activated and completely silenced. Even if OP does not want to use the alarm, it would be something that a different buyer (if OP sells the home) would probably want remedied. Nobody is going to want an alarm system that's been snipped.

sport

Post by sport » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:07 am

Just unplug the system and remove the backup battery. That will totally disable the system.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:34 am

angelescrest wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:21 am
We purchased a newish home and it has a Hawk security system installed in it. There's a panel, possibly a video doorbell, and every so often it makes noise. I called the company, and unsurprisingly, they could give me no instructions on how to remove it and just wanted to sign me up on an expensive monthly plan.

Any idea on how I remove this from my home? I don't trust having it remain, and every so often it makes noises. I think the panel is hard-wired in, as it's not plugged into an electrical outlet.
Don't remove it. Figure out on the panel what model it is, Google that model for instructions. You should be able to fairly easily deprogram it not to make any noises.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:38 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Alarm systems are not hardwired to electricity. There is usually a control box, often in the basement, where the keypad's wires go to, a backup battery inside, and an adapter going to an AC outlet.

Our house had a system installed when it was new. When we bought it, installing company refused to help. I found the factory default codes online, reprogrammed the panel, and setup monitoring with AlarmRelay. Been using the system for 12 years now.

Good forums - https://forum.smarthome.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=11

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/elec ... evices-87/
Good point.

Just find the box where the battery is, maybe in a master bedroom closet or other closet, unplug it, and also take the leads off of the backup battery. It will then be inactive.

It is good to know where the battery is because every couple of years it will go bad and you will have to replace it if you leave the system on.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:42 am

RickBoglehead wrote:

How do you like AlarmRelay? It is pretty cheap for a monitored security service.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:01 am

new2bogle wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:42 am
RickBoglehead wrote:

How do you like AlarmRelay? It is pretty cheap for a monitored security service.
We've had only minor issues with AlarmRelay, related to an internet-based monitoring option that they had at one point that didn't work as advertised. They ultimately refunded our cost for that. As to regular day-to-day monitoring, they've been fine. $8.95 per month year 1, $9.95 per month year 2, and $10.45 per month years 3 and on. We also pay $12 per month for our cellular adapter monitoring after we eliminated our POTS service. If we keep the property past our scheduled retirement, we'd probably pull out the old GE Concord Express system and replace it with a modern system that allows app notification, arm/disarm, etc. We have Simplisafe on our cottage and it's nice to be able to see everything on the phone, tablet, or computer.

AlarmRelay, as part of the setup of their monitoring, will put an engineer on the phone to talk you through the steps (included in initial fee). They've also answered tech questions over the years, no charge.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:07 am

daheld wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:01 am
miamivice wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:54 am
RickBoglehead wrote:

I'd caution OP to not do this. The alarm should be able to be de-activated and completely silenced. Even if OP does not want to use the alarm, it would be something that a different buyer (if OP sells the home) would probably want remedied. Nobody is going to want an alarm system that's been snipped.
My understanding is that the alarm head and many of the actual detectors are proprietary. And the technology changes relatively quickly. If a future buyer wants an alarm system, most alarm companies install alarm systems at no charge in exchange for a long (and expensive) contract. I see little downside to cutting the wiring. The existence of an ancient alarm system will not help his house sell faster or for more money.

As an example, our house came with a Brinks alarm system that I disabled. We proudly have a Brinks alarm system sign outside our house. I felt that was a great deterrent, until the day a teenager came over and informed me that Brinks went out of business (bought out by another alarm system) and then I realized that we were just showing that we didn't have an alarm system at all. Someday we will upgrade the sign to an ADT sign (you can buy them off eBay) but I have no plans to actually reactivate the alarm. If we did want to reinstall the alarm, I am sure none of the Brinks hardware or wiring would be reused.

Also as an aside, I don't think monitored alarm systems are in favor any more. It seems like the up and coming thing is Ring doorbells and camera-based non-monitored security systems. Also I know of a number of people that self-monitor rather than paying a monitoring service the monthly fee.

Bottom line is I am confident that none of the cutting would harm the value of the house.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:13 am

There was one in my house when I moved in. I arranged with the monitoring company, which all these years later I guess may have been the installation company, to remove it. I plan on living here until I croak, and I didn't want a bunch of unnecessary wires, etc. around.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:26 am

For the panel, you want to be absolutely sure that nothing goes to line voltage before you go cutting things. For the door bell thing, some systems charge their batteries from door bell 24 Vac and break into the line, so with those systems, you can't just cut lines, you'd want to be sure you're all the way back to the door bell lines, then hook your door bell push button to it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:33 am

fru-gal wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:13 am
There was one in my house when I moved in. I arranged with the monitoring company, which all these years later I guess may have been the installation company, to remove it. I plan on living here until I croak, and I didn't want a bunch of unnecessary wires, etc. around.
That was the issue in my original post, they would not come and remove it themselves. That's what I had hoped for.

Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:42 am

Thanks for the replies thus far. I'm leaning towards bringing in an electrician, and maybe adding a doorbell video camera (since it appears to already be wired).

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:49 am

miamivice wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:07 am
My understanding is that the alarm head and many of the actual detectors are proprietary. And the technology changes relatively quickly. If a future buyer wants an alarm system, most alarm companies install alarm systems at no charge in exchange for a long (and expensive) contract. I see little downside to cutting the wiring. The existence of an ancient alarm system will not help his house sell faster or for more money.

As an example, our house came with a Brinks alarm system that I disabled. We proudly have a Brinks alarm system sign outside our house. I felt that was a great deterrent, until the day a teenager came over and informed me that Brinks went out of business (bought out by another alarm system) and then I realized that we were just showing that we didn't have an alarm system at all. Someday we will upgrade the sign to an ADT sign (you can buy them off eBay) but I have no plans to actually reactivate the alarm. If we did want to reinstall the alarm, I am sure none of the Brinks hardware or wiring would be reused.

Also as an aside, I don't think monitored alarm systems are in favor any more. It seems like the up and coming thing is Ring doorbells and camera-based non-monitored security systems. Also I know of a number of people that self-monitor rather than paying a monitoring service the monthly fee.

Bottom line is I am confident that none of the cutting would harm the value of the house.
While some equipment MAY be proprietary, much is not. Simply changing monitoring companies is often quite easy. And sometimes existing wiring can be used, or sensors, like a magnetic door sensor.

Those that choose to self-monitor ignore the insurance discounts that central monitoring provide, as well as the ability to generate faster response. If you're in a meeting, making a presentation, and the house is on fire, how fast are you dispatching the fire department?

Insurance companies provide discounts for burglary and fire (smoke detector) central station monitoring. They often also provide a discount for water leak monitoring, although many are tightening up and requiring that the leak detection also turn off the water, a much more sizeable investment. They may also provide a discount for freeze detection. We found that both the leak detection and freeze detection discounts required new sensors that paid off in less than one year of monitoring. Our burglary and fire discount basically covers our monitoring cost.

No discounts are provided for carbon monoxide monitoring, because they don't insure for loss of life.

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:08 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:49 am

While some equipment MAY be proprietary, much is not. Simply changing monitoring companies is often quite easy. And sometimes existing wiring can be used, or sensors, like a magnetic door sensor.

Those that choose to self-monitor ignore the insurance discounts that central monitoring provide, as well as the ability to generate faster response. If you're in a meeting, making a presentation, and the house is on fire, how fast are you dispatching the fire department?

Insurance companies provide discounts for burglary and fire (smoke detector) central station monitoring. They often also provide a discount for water leak monitoring, although many are tightening up and requiring that the leak detection also turn off the water, a much more sizeable investment. They may also provide a discount for freeze detection. We found that both the leak detection and freeze detection discounts required new sensors that paid off in less than one year of monitoring. Our burglary and fire discount basically covers our monitoring cost.

No discounts are provided for carbon monoxide monitoring, because they don't insure for loss of life.
+1. I found that the insurance discount we received for central station alarm system monitoring more than offset the monthly monitoring cost. Look for a monitoring company that does not require a contract but will monitor on a month to month basis. It would certainly be worth your time to check pricing on monitoring and what discount(s) you would receive from your homeowner's insurance provider before you begin snipping wires!

If you decide not to use your system, I agree with the recommendation by JBTX to find your panel and simply unplug the transformer or adapter from the outlet and disconnect the leads to the backup battery.

GuayaquilEcu

Post by GuayaquilEcu » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:13 am

I am in the same boat we bought a newish home ( 4 years old) , We have a GE Concord box ,Previous owners never gave us the code so that system was pretty much a brick, I shut off the tones but could not change the clock , we never had a security system previously and we were ok with that.

The clock was bugging me so I decided to get the code , researched little bit and found a Youtube video which shows how to extract code from EEPROM and was able to change the clock or even arm and disarm it. ( Self monitoring with these systems ok might scare the intruder or more than likely you would trip the alarm yourself ).

I am thinking of getting Ring security or Google security system so that I can integrate with my existing Google home setup ( google security is quite a bit more expensive than Ring but would like to stick with one eco system)