Front load washer mold

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
airahcaz

Front load washer mold

Post by airahcaz »

Ugh, have front load washers improved their front gasket issues getting moldy? Seems gasket replacement is tedious and also doesn’t fix the issue long term for the same unit.

Had an LG for 5 years that works fine, but the wife is ready to replace just in the hopes of improvement in gaskets and mold prevention
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)
HomeStretch

Re: Front load washer mold

Post by HomeStretch »

Mold is a common problem with front loaders. I replaced the leaking gasket on my LG Tromm washer after 7 years and the new seal stayed mold free for maybe 2 years. Despite leaving door open and periodically adding bleach to loads, cleaning seal with Tilex and running a clean cycle with vinegar.

New Samsung is 3 months old, waiting to see what “develops.” The new washer has a self-clean cycle that has to be run every 40 loads that’s supposed to help. I’m skeptical.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

HomeStretch wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:24 pm Mold is a common problem with front loaders. I replaced the leaking gasket on my LG Tromm washer after 7 years and the new seal stayed mold free for maybe 2 years. Despite leaving door open and periodically adding bleach to loads, cleaning seal with Tilex and running a clean cycle with vinegar.

New Samsung is 3 months old, waiting to see what “develops.” The new washer has a self-clean cycle that has to be run every 40 loads that’s supposed to help. I’m skeptical.
Hi which Samsung please?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

We wash whites with hot water and bleach every 10 days or so. We also leave the door cracked (or sometimes wide open) so that the drum can completely dry out. No issues.

Samsung WF42H500AW/A2
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

airahcaz wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:16 pm Ugh, have front load washers improved their front gasket issues getting moldy? Seems gasket replacement is tedious and also doesn’t fix the issue long term for the same unit.

Had an LG for 5 years that works fine, but the wife is ready to replace just in the hopes of improvement in gaskets and mold prevention
I have avoided front load washers my entire life. I only purchase/use top load washers.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

airahcaz wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:27 pm
HomeStretch wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:24 pm Mold is a common problem with front loaders. I replaced the leaking gasket on my LG Tromm washer after 7 years and the new seal stayed mold free for maybe 2 years. Despite leaving door open and periodically adding bleach to loads, cleaning seal with Tilex and running a clean cycle with vinegar.

Hi which Samsung please?
Samsung model WF45R6300AV
https://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/catal ... gJy6PD_BwE
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

Tried a front load once (Maytag Neptune) broke after five years. Never going back to front load, period...
Mako

Post by Mako »

Trader Joe wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:04 pm
I have avoided front load washers my entire life. I only purchase/use top load washers.
Yeah. Last one we had (a Whirlpool I think) we did all the usual tricks and couldn’t get rid of the stink. After I moved I bought a top loader and haven’t looked back.
Buckeye Chuck

Post by Buckeye Chuck »

I have a Bosch front loader that is good. Leave the door open or cracked to permit circulation. Plain hot water cycle with bleach quarterly. Helped reduce water consumption since my rates are high. Has a built in water heater system that is unlike any other.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Considering the additional cost as well as the issues with the gasket mold on the front load machines, I will stick with my top load washer. Keep it simple!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

I have had a Sears Kenmore/Frigidare front load washer for 16 years. I usually wash most loads in cold water, but wash sheets and pillow cases in hot water with bleach. I leave the door open for a day after an wash. I have never had a mold problem.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

airahcaz wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:16 pm Ugh, have front load washers improved their front gasket issues getting moldy? Seems gasket replacement is tedious and also doesn’t fix the issue long term for the same unit.

We've had an LG set for (I think) 4 years with no mold problem the entire time. We live in a humid place, but do the basic filter drain & clean once every month or two and run the tub clean about once a year. We usually leave it slightly open using the open-a-crack door latch design.

Marylander1
dalbright

Post by dalbright »

Our front load washer used to smell gross and musty despite leaving the tray open and door open as well as cleaning off the gasket every once in a while. I hate any sort of "magic" product and am a huge skeptic, but the "lemi shine" product for washing machines was/is amazing. I assumed it would just mask the smell with some strong citrus scents, but even after that dissipated it was still clean/normal smelling for quite a while. Probably need to use it again soon actually since its been a while. HIGHLY RECOMMEND it.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I've owned two different front loaders. One eventually failed after many years of service, and the other is getting up there. Both were different brands and were middle of the road. But neither had the mold issue, ever. It could have been luck, I admit. But since I paid $600+ of my hard earned money on each machine, I decided to read the book* that came with it, and to do what it said. It told me to leave the door open when the washer was not in use. The new one has a convenient latch where the door can be held open but not kneecap passers by. So I leave the door open every time. Turns out, ignoring that advice means the interior cannot dry out and does not get sufficient ventilation.

It also told me to clean the trap at the bottom. Can anyone guess the frequency of trap cleaning? You don't have to. It's in the book.

*OK, it wasn't a book, so much as stack of cheap folded paper with staples in it.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Trader Joe wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:04 pm

I exclusively use front loaders for better cleaning, increased clothing longevity, and reduced waste/operating expense. I leave the door full open until all the clothes are put away, then leave the door in the LG almost closed, but air circulates position. I also take my finger and wipe away any clothing lint that may sit around the door. Any mold would grow there, and it takes about 5 seconds to avoid.

No mold issues encountered ever. I probably should do a cleaning cycle, but I do use bleach for certain items once or twice a month so that likely takes care of any cleaning needs.

I do check the trap a few times a year. Only thing I’ve found in there is a toothpick. I don’t recommend washing clothes with a toothpick in the pocket.
Cuervo_loco

Post by Cuervo_loco »

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Borax thus far! I am on my second front load washer and after noticing a slight moldy smell in towels started adding a cup of 20 Mule Team to each load. No more mold. I’ve always left the front door open afterwards and don’t let the wash sit if possible. I’ve relegated the bleach to kitchen and bath duty.

Other than that, I’m moving back to top loaders. Too much knocking in the front loaders.
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

Get a Washer Fan

https://washerfan.com/

I've used the same Washer Fan for years on 2 different front loaders and there's no smell no mildew. Works great without chemicals.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Yes this a common problem with front load washers. This is why I only own top loader washers. No mold issues.
tivattom

Post by tivattom »

I switched to powdered detergent on my LG and all the smelly moldy problems went away.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

tivattom wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:44 pm I switched to powdered detergent on my LG and all the smelly moldy problems went away.
Instead of liquid? What about pods?
GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker »

First: don’t mix bleach with other cleaners especially ammonia because you get chlorine gas.

If I had this problem, I’d get a cleaner based on a quaternary ammonium compound (these kill mold quite well). Much gentler on your nose and lungs than bleach, and AFAIK, just as effective. I’d use that to wipe down the gasket rubber part. If the rubber part is easy to remove, do that, probably easier to clean thoroughly (or replace if in bad shape). But the plastic or rubber isn’t porous like plywood or dry wall, so it should be salvageable. Mold smell, mVOCs might be dissolved in the rubber, so that might take a while to disappear.

The other thing I would do is to run the washer with a cup of vinegar added, hot water. Don’t know if this would be better as an empty load or with maybe some towels or if it makes a difference, but you’d want the washer as full of water as possible. This would get the nooks and crannies of the moving parts, drain hose etc.

If you have moldy clothes, vinegar in the wash and the bare minimum amount of soap is good. If it’s bad, run a second time with just vinegar; no soap. (Mold eats residual soap). Clothes should smell a little vinagry when you put them in re dryer. Hot dryer if clothes can take it. Water evaporates before the acetic acid, so concentration increases as the clothes dry.

I think hot gaseous acetic acid even kills mold spores. Sunlight is also good for affected clothes.

Most important: leave washer door open between uses, at least until dry.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.
NalaTheBear

Post by NalaTheBear »

Like, smackboy1, we too use the washer fan. We've had ours for a couple of years and this addressed the mold issue. The washer fan is a small computer fan that mounts on the back of the washer and continuously pushes air into the washing machine through the back vent. When you are done with a load of laundry you leave the door slightly open (for at least several hours). This air movement dries out water in the seal area which prevents mold. We purchased our washer fan for $100.The only minor issue after a year, was that the washer fan did develop a low level pitch that we could hear at night; since our bedroom is close we have to close the laundry door at night (you can't hear during the day). I applaud the entrepreneur who came of with this idea. These washer fans should really come on all new washers. Since the washer fan is essentially a computer fan and magnets; you can easily make a home made one for under $20 from Amazon. The key is to buy a computer fan that powered by 110V. I helped my inlaws source a computer fan and magnets and their homemade unit works great for them. Given the benefits of front load washer for washing delicate athletic clothes we are relieved to have found a solution.
queso

Post by queso »

Almost 10 year old LG front loader and no issues. We leave the door completely open when the washer is not in use and run tub clean with an Affresh tablet every month or three. I periodically clean the drain/filter and the gasket to the best of my ability without removing it.
Last edited by queso on Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

Always leave the door ajar when not in use... I've never had an issue with mold in mine... once a year or so I wipe out the front boot with bleach.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

tesuzuki2002 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:28 pm

Always leave the door ajar when not in use... I've never had an issue with mold in mine... once a year or so I wipe out the front boot with bleach.
Same here, LG model going on 5 years. And worked for 5 years with previous LG models before that. (First pair was sold with house.)
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
ems2013

Post by ems2013 »

I have a Whirlpool front loader and it had the same smell. I ordered the replacement gasket online (about $100) and DH and I replaced it. We used a YouTube video of same make/model to guide us and it was relatively simple. We now keep the door open after every load and run a cycle with Affresh cleaner every month or so. Good luck!
llcoolln

Post by llcoolln »

Keeping the door open between loads is key. The only time I ever closed it was when a load was running.

Even if the inside of the drum felt clean, the innards of the washing machine could still have water.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

smackboy1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:55 pm Get a Washer Fan

https://washerfan.com/

I've used the same Washer Fan for years on 2 different front loaders and there's no smell no mildew. Works great without chemicals.
But wait! There's more! :D
3hrs

Post by 3hrs »

We've had our LG washer for three years with no odor.
Leave the door open to air out.
Wipe inside of door and door gasket once a week or more and discover the lost socks.
Once a month clean the filter and run the clean cycle

DH figured out this substitute for the commercial cleaner used in the clean cycle: 27 g Oxyclean and 13 g Boric Acid.

Post by alter »

Leaving the door wide open isn't enough on my LG, you have to leave both door wide open and the detergent drawer pulled all the way out.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I've had a Samsung front loader for 5+ years and have had no issues. There is a clean mode that I have never even had to use. Apparently there is an icon that pops on when it is needed and it has never come on. I don't even keep the door open after doing laundry (though it is probably a good idea). We use the Costco Kirkland pods for detergent.