1) What age did you have your teen get a driver's license?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
IMO

1) What age did you have your teen get a driver's license?

Post by IMO » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:28 am

This is somewhat of a follow to a previous post, but wanted some BH feedback on what age did your teenager get their ACTUAL driver's license (not the learner's permit)?

Background:

Teenage will soon be of age to get a driver's PERMIT. I'm fine with getting that ASAP because I want to provide as much supervised driving as possible during the critical period (high risk teen driver period).

I called insurance (USAA) and it will NOT cost any additional in our auto insurance, and apparently in our Umbrella insurance SO LONG as the teenager ONLY has a DRIVER"S PERMIT (and this is not state specific per USAA).

Should we take the next step and allow teenager to obtain an actual driver's license, the cost to add the teenage driver on a 20 yr old 4x4 truck (an additional car that is not our daily driver car) is about $1800 per year. The umbrella policy will also go up, didn't get specific, but presume it will go up $1000 year also. So for about $3,000 year it would allow our teenager to have the ability to fully and independently drive. I'm fine with the safety of this truck, so don't want to derail onto the topic of the truck's age.

Teen takes bus to school which due to parking/traffic is quicker than actually driving. Teen is significantly involved in multiple sports year round that while driving is involved, we are active participants in the sports, so there is no real need to self drive for these activities. We are mixed about having teen work because it conflicts with sports schedule and limits family ability to travel during summer break. It also seems after the $3,000 annual expense that teen would have to contribute to added cost of having a driver's license (by teen working) it would seem probably pointless to work to just have the driver's license. I could see investing in an electric bike for summer work as alternative (winter wouldn't work due to both weather and sports/school schedule) due to the distance from home to any work options locally.

So I feel: Just get only the Driver's PERMIT for at least a couple years forgoing getting the actual driver's LICENSE. Saves the $3,000 extra cost per year, allows teen to get significant driving experience (supervised), allows teen to help drive on longer family road trips, allows teen to realize driving legally/speed limits is pretty overrated, allows teen to mature which helps improve driving safety for teen/others on the road.

Spouse feels: Spend the $3,000 year just to give kid independence.

Additional background: I had a driver's license as soon as was allowed when growing up, but did not have my own car. There was some really really stupid things both myself and my friends did at that age which involved driving that we are lucky no one got injured/killed. But we were young and we were otherwise "good kids."

Thoughts?
Last edited by IMO on Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

CoastalWinds

Re: 1) What age did you have your teen get a driver's license?

Post by CoastalWinds » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:32 am

I was 36 when I had my teen get a license 😀

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:38 am

We have USAA. Our teens were almost 18 when they wanted their drivers licenses. Before that, they had learners permits since age 16. My daughter drove a car her senior year to high school as it was too far to walk and no bus either. My son just walked to his nearby high school or got rides. He used a car to get to his job. $3000 extra sounds like an awful lot to me because our entire auto + umbrella bill is about $3000 for 3 cars with my son driving one of our cars.

Also we made our teens drive the car if they were ever in it with us. They had tons of driving practice. Basically, I don't drive any vehicle when I am with my kids.
Last edited by livesoft on Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:40 am

Child received permit at 16 and license at 17. Car insurance went up by $1800 and $2 million umbrella surcharge is $250.

Goal33

Post by Goal33 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:42 am

Got my license at 16 and it enabled me to get an internship while in high school in a different city. I do pretty well now, and I think that got started me off on the right path. Currently 28.

However... looking back on it. I drove like a total idiot for the first 1-3 years driving. Scary thinking back on it.
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

Topic Author
IMO

Post by IMO » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:45 am

Goal33 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:42 am
Got my license at 16 and it enabled me to get an internship while in high school in a different city. I do pretty well now, and I think that got started me off on the right path. Currently 28.

However... looking back on it. I drove like a total idiot for the first 1-3 years driving. Scary thinking back on it.
That's how I look back on those 1st few years driving. We didn't have cell phones/texting as an additional distraction and many of us were driving manual transmissions which require more attention.

Topic Author
IMO

Post by IMO » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:49 am

livesoft wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:38 am
We have USAA. Our teens were almost 18 when they wanted their drivers licenses. Before that, they had learners permits since age 16. My daughter drove a car her senior year to high school as it was too far to walk and no bus either. My son just walked to his nearby high school or got rides. He used a car to get to his job. $3000 extra sounds like an awful lot to me because our entire auto + umbrella bill is about $3000 for 3 cars with my son driving one of our cars.

Also we made our teens drive the car if they were ever in it with us. They had tons of driving practice. Basically, I don't drive any vehicle when I am with my kids.
I wonder why our USAA quote on auto seems high. I just guessed on the umbrella because we have lots of things (more than most) on our umbrella. We don't have tickets/accidents or high priced cars and we would be on the preferred tier pricing. I do wonder if it's because we are talking about a 16 year old new licensee vs. an 18+ year old licensee?

Clark Howard had said expect up to $3000 extra year so I tried to not act surprised when I called USAA.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:59 am

When my son turned 16, I had Farmers and they wanted an arm and a leg to add him to our insurance. I called around and ended up with Mercury for a lot less money. I have them for condo insurance and car insurance, and have had claims on both, and they were really good to work with.

celia

Post by celia » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:33 am

When they were no longer teens. They had no need to drive before that and their high schools didn't have much parking any ways.

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:07 am

IMO wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:28 am
So I feel: Just get only the Driver's PERMIT for at least a couple years forgoing getting the actual driver's LICENSE. Saves the $3,000 extra cost per year, allows teen to get significant driving experience (supervised), allows teen to help drive on longer family road trips, allows teen to realize driving legally/speed limits is pretty overrated, allows teen to mature which helps improve driving safety for teen/others on the road.

Spouse feels: Spend the $3,000 year just to give kid independence.

Additional background: I had a driver's license as soon as was allowed when growing up, but did not have my own car. There was some really really stupid things both myself and my friends did at that age which involved driving that we are lucky no one got injured/killed. But we were young and we were otherwise "good kids."

Thoughts?
OP, I'm guessing I'm in the same age-range of you and your spouse. Like you - to quote Dubya - "When I was young and irresponsible, I was young and irresponsible....", lol.... (But dang, my homeys and I had FUN....! :D ) SoAnyway.....

I crammed in all the necessary requirements in the 2 weeks after I turned 16 to get my license - which I like my peers viewed as my ticket to freedom. At that point, Dad sat me down and walked me through all of the increased $ amounts the family would incur to add me to the insurance. He gave me a choice: Get a job and earn enough to pay the insurance differential, or don't drive. It was a great lesson. I got a minimum wage job, eventually earning enough to pay for not only the insurance differential but also to save up for that awesome beater car..... (Great memories there, tho' like you I look back and marvel that no one got injured/killed, hahaha....) In any case, all due respect to your spouse but the WORST thing you could do is just pay and move on without your kid knowing what you've done. My view: Be transparent with your kid about the added expense, and let him/her make an adult choice about what's important in their current mindset and what they're willing to do to EARN it. Just sayin'.... Best wishes, OP!! :happy
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:06 am

One funny story about when my son got his driver's licence was that that he realized that he would have to sign his name, and he could not sign his name!

The problem was that he had never learned to write in cursive since the school he went to focused more on teaching the kids to type and he may have only had one very short segment(if that) of cursive writing that was quickly forgotten since other assignments were not required to be written in cursive handwriting. We had talked to his teachers about this and they did not seemed to be concerned. He would just print in block letters anything he needed to write and most if his writing assignments were done on a computer and printed. He was sort of embarrassed about not being able to sign his name and I think he did something like looking at Youtube to figure out enough to make a squiggle where you can sort of see the his first and last initial.

One thing to be prepared for is that many teens don't have a burning desire to to get their driver's licence like pretty much everyone did when I was that age.

The summer when son was 17 I pretty much had to tell him it was time to get it since he had little desire of his own to get it. As best as I can recall he only had his drivers permit for a few months before he got his actual drivers licence.

This is not uncommon and I think that one of the reasons is that many teens will have to pay for at least their own insurance and gas which can easily run several hundred dollars a month which requires a lot of hours flipping burgers at the minimum wage of $7.25 and hour here.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:39 am

Our two teens each obtained a driver's license at age 16, as soon as eligible. I do not remember the impact on insurance rates but it was not huge; that was several decades ago. When I received my license, also at age 16, there was a two week waiting period between obtaining a learner's permit and final license (if you passed the driving test given by a State Trooper).

A short story to illustrate how times have changed. My cousins were raised in the Columbia, South Carolina vicinity in the 1960s. When they were in public school, their school bus driver was 14, yes, 14! Apparently at that time there were no snowflakes or helicopter parents in SC and personal responsibility was taught at an early age. Several decades prior to that I've heard 10year olds in rural areas were given rifles to provide meat for the table. :D :o :shock:
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:45 am

CoastalWinds wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:32 am
I was 48.
It was a huge help for him to be able to offload quite a bit of the chauffeuring his parents had been doing.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:47 am

DS#1: 16 1/2. Insurance went up $2000. He totaled a $30k Jeep. DS#2 18. Insurance went up $1000. He's way more careful driving. He only got his license because he'll be driving to community college next year.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Small Savanna

Post by Small Savanna » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:03 am

I think it is different for every kid. Considerations include:

1. How strongly does your child want to have a license? If they really want it, eventually you will give in... but some kids aren't in a hurry.

2. From observing their driving, do you feel that they are ready to go on their own?

3. Will having a license make your lives easier - getting to and from school, sports, work, and friends without mom and dad having to chauffeur?

4. Are there transportation alternatives? You can buy a lot of Uber rides for $1800.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:10 am

Mine were both 17 ish when they finally got their licenses. Permits in my area must be held 12 months before they would get the full license. For my state permits are only valid for 24 months, so you have to get the full license before then.

Once both kids had jobs, and multiple after school activities it was great relief for them to be able to drive themselves.

My insurance doubled with the first kid getting his license and then went up another $100ish per month when the 2nd kids got the license. Umbrella did not go up at all...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

SchruteB&B

Post by SchruteB&B » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:24 am

My teens both got their driver’s license the very first day they were eligible. They both wanted it. And I was beyond tired of chauffeuring them everywhere and sitting around waiting for them to get out of sports practice every afternoon at the high school. The insurance did go up but seriously, worth every cent.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:58 am

All 3 kids were 16 when they got their licences. We got them very inexpensive cars to drive and just purchased liability coverage which wasn't bad. So worth it not having to shuttle them around, lol. Teens are going to do stupid things whether they're the ones driving or not, no real way to protect them from that. We insisted they wear seat belts at all times and if they ever found themselves in a situation where either them or their friends had been drinking and couldn't drive safely to call us day or night no questions asked and we'd come get them.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:03 am

Our kids got their permits at 14, provisional license 1 year later, full license at 16.

I think it is too early, but that is the system we have.

I agree with getting the permit when first available. Drivers need experience. Lots of it. There is no rule once they have their permit that they have to get their license as soon as possible.

If they start at 14, 15, 16, 17 they will still be an inexperienced, new driver who needs a lot of driving experience. 2 out of 3 girls are driving, it is an adventure. We did a lot of practice driving, coaching, driving school to help them get ready.

7-10 year old vehicles, liability only insurance, limits on driving on interstates, times of day/night.
“People don’t want advice, they want confirmation.” Unknown

cs412a

Post by cs412a » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:26 am

When my son was a teenager living at home, he took the bus, walked or had his friends drive him places. It saved me money and a lot of headaches and did him no harm.

He was away at college and an adult when he learned how to drive and got his license. Since he wasn't living at home after he finished college, he never drove my car, and I never paid for his insurance. (He didn't actually purchase a car of his own until he was in his late 30s and only did it because my daughter-in-law wasn't able to use public transportation for the commute from NYC to her job on Long Island.)

So, OP, I agree with you that your son will do just fine with a permit for a few years.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:30 am

NotWhoYouThink wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:45 am
CoastalWinds wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:32 am
I was 48.
It was a huge help for him to be able to offload quite a bit of the chauffeuring his parents had been doing.
This is what my parents did. I was my brother’s chauffer. Also quick grocery pickup. Grandpa’s chauffeur when in town.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:32 am

My daughter, while very interested in cars, was so-so about actually driving for a long time. Eventually she got her permit at age 17 just last year and her license early this year. She turns 18 in September and is off to college in a week or so. We actually tried to get her interested earlier, but she just wasn't.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:33 am

Goal33 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:42 am

SO true. (currently 34, though)

I was 16, and I even had to have 1,000 addt'l hours driving with my dad in the car before I could go out on my own. I dunno if it's a difference in the times, or that I grew up in sprawling suburbia, but I don't really understand kids' lack of interest in getting DLs these days. By my teenage guess, there was probably only 1 in 10 kids in my day who didn't have/want a DL at 16. I had been saving for my first car since I was 14, and I got a nice little $500 bump from my older sister totaling a car. (She was livid she had to split the proceeds with her brothers. :mrgreen: )
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:44 am

Small Savanna wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:03 am

1. How strongly does your child want to have a license? If they really want it, eventually you will give in... but some kids aren't in a hurry.

2. From observing their driving, do you feel that they are ready to go on their own?

3. Will having a license make your lives easier - getting to and from school, sports, work, and friends without mom and dad having to chauffeur?

4. Are there transportation alternatives? You can buy a lot of Uber rides for $1800.
This is a good list of considerations and questions. Especially point #1.

Also consider that your child may be influenced by peer pressure. If all of his friends were driving, he might feel pressure to get his license just to keep up.

My children all got licenses at 16, as did I. And I can tell you that, as expensive as insurance seems now, it will be a lot more expensive if your child wrecks a car. One of my sons hit a tree on a rain-slicked road when he was 16. The boy was fine. The car was not. Insurance for him was fearsomely expensive for a few years.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:53 am

My teen will receive her driver’s license near the end of her senior year in high school. I wish she had started the learning and licensing process earlier to have more experience with independent driving before heading to college.

OP, to me, delaying independent driving to save on insurance costs isn’t worth it. I’m with your spouse.

Andy.

xenochrony

Post by xenochrony » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:01 am

Coincidentally, I was in virtually the exact same situation as you pose, last year. Also a 20 year old 4x4 (M/T) for my child to drive with permit, who also is on varsity sports team, similar auto insurance increase due to young driver getting license.

Hate the large insurance increase, but her increased autonomy due to driving with the license has been a blessing for us (parents) due to no chauffering around, plus it has made her personal life more efficient (tasks, meetings, events, fun with friends). Since she is driving M/T she HAS to be focused on the driving, especially since it is very hilly here and constant shifting is required.

Its just a temporary phase. For us, ~ 2 years, after which she will likely move into a college dorm and not need a car. She got her license at 16.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:07 am

16 when she got her license

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:37 am

Permit at 15, license at 16 so we didn't have to shuttle them around.

In my state any new driver (whether 16 or 18) is penalized for 3 years on auto insurance as an "inexperienced driver" so the parent(s) don't save by delaying.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:53 am

My father wanted me to get my license as soon as legal -- what ever it was back in the 60s in Michigan. I took drivers ed. -- under duress -- but never got licensed. Until I was almost 40.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:55 am

ncbill wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:37 am

In my state any new driver (whether 16 or 18) is penalized for 3 years on auto insurance as an "inexperienced driver" so the parent(s) don't save by delaying.
Massachusetts?
As a new driver at 39, I was paying more for insurance than a 21 year old boy-man who had been driving more than 3 years.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:07 pm

Ours got permits at 16, and took Driver's Ed classes. They got their licenses at 17. In our state, there are restrictions on their driving until they turn 18. I thought that was a good way for them to get driving experience under somewhat controlled circumstances. They were both involved in a ton of extracurricular activities, and it was a relief when we didn't have to shuttle them everywhere.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:07 pm

Sixteen.

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:16 pm

GerryL wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:55 am
ncbill wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:37 am

Massachusetts?
As a new driver at 39, I was paying more for insurance than a 21 year old boy-man who had been driving more than 3 years.
NC.

Interestingly, having a driver on the auto policy age 25 or younger is penalized as a "youthful operator" on my umbrella insurance, so I have several more years of paying that surcharge even though the kids are no longer penalized on the auto policy.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:21 pm

IMO wrote:
This is somewhat of a follow to a previous post, but wanted some BH feedback on what age did your teenager get their ACTUAL driver's license (not the learner's permit)?

Background:

Teenage will soon be of age to get a driver's PERMIT. I'm fine with getting that ASAP because I want to provide as much supervised driving as possible during the critical period (high risk teen driver period).

I called insurance (USAA) and it will NOT cost any additional in our auto insurance, and apparently in our Umbrella insurance SO LONG as the teenager ONLY has a DRIVER"S PERMIT (and this is not state specific per USAA).

Should we take the next step and allow teenager to obtain an actual driver's license, the cost to add the teenage driver on a 20 yr old 4x4 truck (an additional car that is not our daily driver car) is about $1800 per year. The umbrella policy will also go up, didn't get specific, but presume it will go up $1000 year also. So for about $3,000 year it would allow our teenager to have the ability to fully and independently drive. I'm fine with the safety of this truck, so don't want to derail onto the topic of the truck's age.
IMO,

Shop around. You should be able to get a better deal than that. Or, it could be cheaper to get a newer car.

KlangFool

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:22 pm

My kid is only two, so I'll have to share my experience as the teen living in my parents house. As a teen? No driver's license. I got mine at 21. And the five siblings after me all got theirs at age 20 or above - I think the oldest to do so was 24. Until the seventh and final teen - licensed at 16. Must've had a really convincing argument.

Topic Author
IMO

Post by IMO » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:35 pm

Stinky wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:44 am
Small Savanna wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:03 am

This is a good list of considerations and questions. Especially point #1.

Also consider that your child may be influenced by peer pressure. If all of his friends were driving, he might feel pressure to get his license just to keep up.

My children all got licenses at 16, as did I. And I can tell you that, as expensive as insurance seems now, it will be a lot more expensive if your child wrecks a car. One of my sons hit a tree on a rain-slicked road when he was 16. The boy was fine. The car was not. Insurance for him was fearsomely expensive for a few years.
This is definitely a good list, I think I sort of went through these in my head:

1. Does want to drive as friends are starting to drive. I'm hoping that by having kid get learner's permit (couple months from now) and having kid do all the driving when we drive that that will help take away the feeling of kid feeling the absolute need to get the actual license since he would be driving significantly.

2. Not driving yet, but kid is expected to be good driver. Has started to drive boat this summer and seems good at scanning for hazards while monitoring gauges/wakeboarders. But still a kid, and sometimes doesn't grasp the risks of some of his sports (but then again, some parents seem oblivious to some of the significant dangers and how to minimize those dangers).

3. No advantage to driving vs. bus for school. We (both parents) are significantly involved in sports activities so when we drive to those things (and that is significant) we aren't just chauffeuring around. Transporting to friends, not really sure. Most of friends are ones doing the same sports activities and other's in neighborhood are within biking distance (also they seem to "hang out" via computer games a bit) I was thinking, let the other kids drive ....

4. Unfortunately, Uber/Lyft while technically available in area, are not that plentiful in the particular area we live. My other option that I'd consider for summer work options would be getting one of the newer electric bikes that would help offset farther bike ride to typical teen work locations in area.

And your final point. No I get it, a significant accident or totally a car, and things get more expensive and potentially much more complicated with liability with any potential injuries. This actually personally concerns me more than the additional auto/umbrella costs.

As some have noted, perhaps this generation is changing on getting driver's licenses right away. I'd be fine if it waited until college starts.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:38 pm

I got mine basically as soon as possible after turning 16. Times have changed since the early 2000s though. I will admit that too many Friday and Saturday nights were spent driving fairly haphazardly or downright dangerously, with friends in the car.

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:43 pm

My kids got them on or very shortly after their 16th birthday (the minimum, in our state). Youngest kid not yet 16, but I anticipate the same.

Some of it may come down to your location. Unfortunately, our house, while in a subdivision, is pretty isolated. Few places to walk, and bikeriding not good, other than around the subdivision, due to big hills and inconsistent availability of sidewalks/shoulders on nearby roads. Getting the ability to drive was a MAJOR lifestyle upgrade for our kids. But if you live in an area where there is a lot more walkable stuff and/or good public transit, your situation may not merit early driver's license(s).

Topic Author
IMO

Post by IMO » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:50 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:21 pm
IMO wrote:

Background:

IMO,

Shop around. You should be able to get a better deal than that. Or, it could be cheaper to get a newer car.

KlangFool
I didn't think about asking how much it would be to have kid added to spouses newer SUV, but thought that would more expensive than the truck.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:52 pm

IMO wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:50 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:21 pm
IMO wrote:

Background:

IMO,

KlangFool
I didn't think about asking how much it would be to have kid added to spouses newer SUV, but thought that would more expensive than the truck.
IMO,

Or, at $3,000 per year, it might be cheaper to buy a used car for the kid that is not 4x4 trunk or SUV.

I added my kids to my 2006 Altima and 2014 Altima. It does not cost that much. But, the premium difference between each insurance company could be up to $1,000 per year or more.

KlangFool

sawdust60

Post by sawdust60 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:58 pm

Those with after school activities took drivers education and got their license on turning 16. Our rules were nobody else in the car, for the first six months, and only to/from school, etc.

The seriousness and responsibility of driving was understood. You may have a better chance to help the new driver become a good driver over a longer period of time. Whether or not they get the license at 16, get the permit and training at 15.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:00 pm

Our oldest got his at age 16.5

About a month into it he already rear-ended someone :oops: Not badly, not even a scratch on the other car, but nonetheless the driver filed a claim and I'm sure our insurance will put out big bucks. Guy gets some beer money! :? )

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:12 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:00 pm
About a month into it he already rear-ended someone :oops: Not badly, not even a scratch on the other car,
How do you rear end someone without even putting a scratch on the other bumper? I suppose if it's 2 mph, but I'm a bit skeptical that this is the case.

We've had two vehicles in our family rear ended. Both showed significant rear-end damage, but you probably wouldn't think either of them were totalled. But both were, despite being newer vehicles. With unibody construction, when the back end gets pushed in, there's often structural distortion throughout much of the vehicle. Do you want your family in cars that have had the metal bent, then unbent? I was relieved, both times, that the insurance companies ultimately agreed to total the cars.

chickadee

Post by chickadee » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:41 pm

Word of the day:

The item we are discussing is actually called a Driver License. It’s not plural or possessive. Found this out when working on a project for the DPS.

To wit:

https://www.dps.texas.gov/driverlicense/

bigdav160

Post by bigdav160 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:56 pm

The previous post linked to the Texas webpage. With a learners permit:
You must have a licensed adult 21 years or older in the front passenger seat when driving.
You must hold this license for at least six months, unless you turn 18.
The 21 year old or over is the person assigned to give the teen lessons.

So in our State, you just can't get the teenager a learners permit and put them in a vehicle and deal with them getting a drivers liscense years later like the OP asked.

I guess you could, but if it's parent taught the parent would be riding with the teen whenever they were driving.

Mako

Post by Mako » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:00 pm

chickadee wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:41 pm
Word of the day:

The item we are discussing is actually called a Driver License. It’s not plural or possessive. Found this out when working on a project for the DPS.

To wit:

The statute uses "driver's" in my state.

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:01 pm

Mako wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:00 pm
chickadee wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:41 pm
Word of the day:

To wit:

The statute uses "driver's" in my state.
Don't mess with Texas.

Taz

Post by Taz » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:45 pm

Both at 16 - a few years apart, and both on or within a few days if their birthday. If I recall, our USAA insurance doubled when the oldest one (male) got his license. We bought a third car after a year and the old minivan was for their shared use.
The destination matters.

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:15 pm

All 3 children got their farm license when they were 15. It turned into a regular license at age 16.

Lily