Mismatched flooring - discovered halfway through install

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Quirkz

Mismatched flooring - discovered halfway through install

Post by Quirkz » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:47 pm

I think I'm just out of luck on this one but wanted to run it past the greater wisdom of the crowd to see if I'm overlooking anything.

Back in April I ordered some laminate flooring online from Home Depot, which I used to redo my bathroom. It was supposed to be a color called Mesa Oak, but I did not look closely at the packaging when it arrived, and we actually received a color called York Hill Oak. At the time I thought it was a bit lighter and redder than expected, but chalked that up to the internet just not displaying it properly, plus some individual variability in the planks. It looked good, so that was fine.

This month I decided to do the bedroom and ordered more of the same wood. This time we got real Mesa Oak, and we got about halfway through the room before deciding the new product and the old product weren't really matching. That's when we noticed the different label on the boxes and confirmed it wasn't just manufacturing weirdness, but a wrong product.

At this point I either have to redo the bathroom, or tear up half the bedroom and start over. Home Depot will take back the unopened boxes but obviously won't take the stuff that's already been placed. Either way it seems like I've got to buy 4-5 replacement boxes. It's not huge, maybe $150. The lost labor is more galling, but also irretrievable. Should I just shrug it off, or is there anything further you folks would do in this situation?

barnaclebob

Re: Mismatched flooring - discovered halfway through install

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:50 pm

If you ordered the product and just told the installer to install it then it was your job to make sure the product received was correct and you are SOL IMO. If it was the installer who ordered it, then its their job to ensure the correct product arrived in most cases that i can think of.

Is real or engineered wood even a good idea in bathrooms? Maybe things have changed but last time I looked that sounded like a terrible idea.

Topic Author
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:06 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:50 pm

Is real or engineered wood even a good idea in bathrooms? Maybe things have changed but last time I looked that sounded like a terrible idea.
I almost knew someone would ask, but didn't want to clutter up the initial question. It's a split bathroom with tile on one side and it had carpet on the other. The wood replaced the carpet, which had to have been a worse material. It's a very dry climate. I think I'll be fine from that angle.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:10 pm

Quirkz wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:06 pm
barnaclebob wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:50 pm

I almost knew someone would ask, but didn't want to clutter up the initial question. It's a split bathroom with tile on one side and it had carpet on the other. The wood replaced the carpet, which had to have been a worse material. It's a very dry climate. I think I'll be fine from that angle.
Thanks for clarifying.

Another point of advice. Its best to get all of your flooring materials all at the same time so that it comes from the same lot. there can still be minute differences in the same color from lot to lot. It might not matter as much for wood which has some natural variation but for carpet it could matter.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:14 pm

I think you may be SOL. But I also think that Home Depot wants happy customers.

I think I'd go talk to a manager. Show the manager the original order and some packaging indicating you got something other than what you ordered. Admit that you just didn't realize it was the wrong product. It should be obvious since you ordered what you thought was the same thing for the adjoining room.

See if they'll make it good for you. If not, just pay for it and enjoy your new floor. :wink:

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:19 pm

Quirkz wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:47 pm
I think I'm just out of luck on this one but wanted to run it past the greater wisdom of the crowd to see if I'm overlooking anything.

Back in April I ordered some laminate flooring online from Home Depot, which I used to redo my bathroom. It was supposed to be a color called Mesa Oak, but I did not look closely at the packaging when it arrived, and we actually received a color called York Hill Oak. At the time I thought it was a bit lighter and redder than expected, but chalked that up to the internet just not displaying it properly, plus some individual variability in the planks. It looked good, so that was fine.

This month I decided to do the bedroom and ordered more of the same wood. This time we got real Mesa Oak, and we got about halfway through the room before deciding the new product and the old product weren't really matching. That's when we noticed the different label on the boxes and confirmed it wasn't just manufacturing weirdness, but a wrong product.

At this point I either have to redo the bathroom, or tear up half the bedroom and start over. Home Depot will take back the unopened boxes but obviously won't take the stuff that's already been placed. Either way it seems like I've got to buy 4-5 replacement boxes. It's not huge, maybe $150. The lost labor is more galling, but also irretrievable. Should I just shrug it off, or is there anything further you folks would do in this situation?
Was a third party involved in the transaction with Home Depot? It's not clear from the OP if you subcontracted with one of their installers or hired someone else for the job.

If you ordered it and installed it yourself, IMO the time to address the issue was back in April. If you had started the install and noticed the discrepancy one box into the bathroom install ("hey this isn't looking quite as I expected - oops it's not the color I ordered!") I think you could have argued that they should throw in the box you opened as a remedy for their mistake when you went to exchange the product.

But this time it appears you got exactly what you ordered and simply didn't notice it wasn't a match for what you had previously installed until halfway through the job. It seems like a stretch to blame this entire situation on the original mistake by Home Depot. I wouldn't hold my breath expecting them to give you 5 boxes of free flooring. But of course you are free to ask.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:41 pm

Quirkz wrote:

Years ago my parents tiled the kitchen. 10 years after that they remodeled and needed more tile. Turns out original tile was no longer available. Rather than redo the entire floor, they just got a different color. After a month, it looked fine and nobody noticed.

If it were me, I would likely leave both in as-is. I would get used the color difference and likely in a month would never notice.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:18 pm

miamivice wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:41 pm
If it were me, I would likely leave both in as-is. I would get used the color difference and likely in a month would never notice.
I think this could work in some cases. For example if the boards run N/S in one room and E/W in the other room. And if you put a very definitive thing between them (that thing in the doorway on the floor under which the two different floors meet). Or if you put a rug where the two different colors meet so the difference is not so obvious.

On the other hand, it could also look terrible. They are both dark brown floors (I looked) and it could be very obvious it is a mis-match rather than a choice.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:23 pm

If you decide to re-do the bathroom, wouldn't that be the smaller fix?

Also, you might have more leverage against Home Depot if you show them they gave you the wrong thing. You'd simply be asking for what you ordered in the first place.

Some of the fault is still on you, but they did make the first mistake. Can't hurt to ask unless you just don't want to risk being refused.

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:34 pm

Quirkz wrote:
received a color called York Hill Oak. At the time I thought it was a bit lighter and redder than expected, but chalked that up to the internet just not displaying it properly, plus some individual variability in the planks. It looked good, so that was fine.
I'd check to see if the York Hill Oak was still available, since you were happy with it. If it is, return what you just received and order the York Hill Oak. Involve store management.

Good luck!
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

Topic Author
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:56 pm

Thanks for the various approaches.

I agree, April would have been the right time to catch the mistake, and it was on me to look at the packaging. It just didn't occur to me at the time. I thought it was more likely the picture on the web site was off than that they'd handed me the wrong box. (They did the same thing to me, *twice*, with an online order of tile several years ago so I should have known better.)

The bathroom is probably the easier of the two to redo simply because it's smaller and it'll waste less product, but it's close. The bathroom is already finished, while the bedroom has the furniture out and the trim off the walls still.

Per retiredjg - the two rooms do have a divider strip and run different directions. I could live with the color difference ... except for four leftover boards from the bathroom project that I'll have to pull from the very beginning of the bedroom. My wife, though, feels pretty strongly it doesn't match. But hey, maybe I can talk her into letting me finish the bedroom first, and maybe even letting the bathroom sit for a year to prove out wood is okay in there before going back and redoing it.

Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:04 pm

If the cost is the same from current state to redo bathroom or bedroom, I was just complete with currently purchased flooring, and live with it for a while. You can then decide whether to bear the cost of remedy by redoing the bathroom later. With a neutral or contrasting threshold between the two floors, it may look fine. Plus, the bathroom floor may wear out faster anyway, so might as well get some use out of the incorrectly chosen color.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:25 pm

"my wife...." That right there says that she will never be happy with it. Whether you stop the current project, redo the br, you pay or HD pays, it has to be redone.
10 yrs from now when you are arguing about you eating the last piece of cake, the mis matched floor will be the root cause.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:33 pm

I looked at the two colors. On my display they look like they would be a nice contrast.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:34 pm

mhalley wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:25 pm
"my wife...." That right there says that she will never be happy with it. Whether you stop the current project, redo the br, you pay or HD pays, it has to be redone.
10 yrs from now when you are arguing about you eating the last piece of cake, the mis matched floor will be the root cause.
Ah, let's not assume women are unreasonable.

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:53 pm

Why do you assume that Home Depot won't take it back? Obviously, nothing that is cut can be returned but they should take back everything else. Home Depot takes back EVERYTHING. They are so liberal with their return policy that I always check the boxes of everything I buy there to make sure someone else didn't already use it.

CheCha54

Post by CheCha54 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:36 pm

Your best chance of getting a good match is to replace the bathroom. There should be current material for the newer material.

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:58 pm

Quirkz wrote:
Sounds like you’re only out $150 and a few hours of your time?

Shrug it off, redo one of your rooms, give thanks that you learned a cheap lesson in measuring twice and cutting once, and move on with your life.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:38 pm

I can only go by my n of one wife. :sharebeer

IMO

Post by IMO » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:12 am

At least ask HD for 10% off coupon/discount because they made a mistake which lead to your mistake (can you show the paperwork for the 1st wrong order?). You can then re-order the correct flooring with the 10% off and this will at least offset some of the loss.

Sometimes it's worth it to let the manager know you're a bit pissed about "going off the last order" and ordering more of what you thought was the same.

Tell them your a bit color blind so you didn't notice until your wife saw the work....

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:36 am

IMO wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:12 am

Tell them your a bit color blind so you didn't notice until your wife saw the work....
"Since I'm a bit color blind I couldn't read the label and determine that York Hill Oak wasn't the flooring I ordered" :oops:

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:02 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:10 pm
Thanks for clarifying.

Another point of advice. Its best to get all of your flooring materials all at the same time so that it comes from the same lot. there can still be minute differences in the same color from lot to lot. It might not matter as much for wood which has some natural variation but for carpet it could matter.
Salient point. Had this occur w/ some roofing I ordered and installed, lot 2 and 3 were slightly different from the first (best) lot. (Lot 1 had a few damaged pieces).
-

OP- for $150 pull the bedroom and do it right....cheap lesson. And yea, many of us get the labor side of it...nothing like lost time.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

Topic Author
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:00 am

F150HD wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:02 am
barnaclebob wrote:
Thanks for clarifying.

Salient point. Had this occur w/ some roofing I ordered and installed, lot 2 and 3 were slightly different from the first (best) lot. (Lot 1 had a few damaged pieces).
Yes, good point. In this case, it was the first time I'd attempted flooring of any kind, and the first time I'd bought laminate flooring. I was pretty sure I could do it (turned out to be pretty easy) but I wanted to start small before committing to a larger job. Two months later we agreed it was satisfactory and agreed to move on to Phase 2. Being safe on the execution side of the project shifted risks to the supply side, I guess.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:37 pm

This is going to work out. Frustrating right now but in a few years, it will be funny. :D

Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:24 pm

Quirkz wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:00 am
F150HD wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:02 am
barnaclebob wrote:
Thanks for clarifying.

Yes, good point. In this case, it was the first time I'd attempted flooring of any kind, and the first time I'd bought laminate flooring. I was pretty sure I could do it (turned out to be pretty easy) but I wanted to start small before committing to a larger job. Two months later we agreed it was satisfactory and agreed to move on to Phase 2. Being safe on the execution side of the project shifted risks to the supply side, I guess.
We had a similar issue, different than the OP's, with Home Depot's Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring. After viewing 15+ colors and settling on "fresh oak, " the HD associate placed an online order for 9 cases since their store inventory systems were not reliable. Didn't want to risk driving 20 miles in DC area traffic to another HD store to find out there weren't enough cases in stock. After receiving the shipment, I read the instructions, that stated to determine if all the lot codes matched. This is so the dye lot is the same for all cases, ensuring color consistency. There were 4 mfd in 3/2018, and 6 cases mfd in 4/2019. I called up Home Depot and the CSR said he could call up the warehouse in CT to see if they could send me cases mfd in 4/2019. I told him I'd get back to him.

After removing some samples from several of the 2018/2019 cases and laying them side by side, we decided any color variation was virtually undetectable under typical lighting conditions in the basement.

The other mistakes we made cutting the planks and dealing with walls that weren't square made the installation challenging for us DIYers. Installing baseboard molding was also difficult. I learned how to cope corner joints using a jig saw since I don't have a vise. Using a coping saw was almost impossible (couldn't get it started).

Lesson learned, time is valuable! We're going to hire a professional to do the rest of the basement.