Cutting the Cord - NFL Network?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
goblue100

Re: Cutting the Cord - NFL Network?

Post by goblue100 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:21 pm

Abe wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:01 pm
Life is getting too complicated.
I'm on board with this sentiment. I've been considering going to T-Mobile. Seems to have all the channels I care about and is available in my area. Has the NFL network.
https://www.t-mobile.com/tvision
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns

surveyor

Post by surveyor » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:28 pm

I'm in a similar situation losing VUE. I can't seem to find a service that has Big Ten and NHL and will run on a firestick.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:11 pm

goblue100 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:21 pm
Abe wrote:
I'm on board with this sentiment. I've been considering going to T-Mobile. Seems to have all the channels I care about and is available in my area. Has the NFL network.
https://www.t-mobile.com/tvision
I don't disagree. And I think many companies prefer the confusion since people often end up buying more than they need. For example, very few individuals have any need for 1 Gigabit/s Internet speeds (you could stream nearly 40 4K video feeds) and yet I hear people paying for it.

Most of us would love to pay one fee and get all coverage of whatever team or sport we like but it is very segmented on multiple networks.

I may be in the minority but while I could afford doing something else, I've gone to streaming only and only pay for Netflix and Amazon. My local tv provider (Cox) has so many bundles, low first year pricing but then high pricing for the next year, that I said it isn't worth it and just pay $40 a month for Internet (30 Mb/s). Directv wants a 3 year contract, forget that.

And I do agree that the name "Playstation VUE" was a negative. Although if you read the story, they claim the market is too competitive and the fees to the programs are too high for them to compete. Probably some truth there. Directv is bleeding subscribers left and right, another 1M recently. AT&T is trying to figure out what to do with that as well (although it still may be profitable, not sure).

cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:49 pm

surveyor wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:28 pm
I'm in a similar situation losing VUE. I can't seem to find a service that has Big Ten and NHL and will run on a firestick.
I plan on moving to YouTube TV now that it’s available on fire stick. I really liked PS vue but they screws themselves with their name and marketing. YouTube tv seems to be very similar though.
Last edited by cusetownusa on Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:43 am

cusetownusa wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:49 pm

I plan on movie to YouTube TV
Freudian slip?
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns

cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:55 am

goblue100 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:43 am
cusetownusa wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:49 pm

I plan on movie to YouTube TV
Freudian slip?
Doh...that's what I get for not proof reading.

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:53 pm

I was a a happy Sony Playstation Vue user and will be switching to Youtube TV. It has all the sports channels I had with Vue (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN U, ESPN News, Big 10 Network, CBS Sports Network, MLB Network, NBA TV, Olympic Channel, NBC Sports Network, FS1 and FS2) but it does NOT have the NFL Network that I had with Vue. I do believe YouTube is limited to 3 streams.

Always tradeoffs in selecting the streaming services. If you want the NFL Network I believe both Sling Blue and FUBO carry the NFL network, but neither carry the local networks NBC,ABC,CBS, and Fox so you will be missing all the NFL and college games on those networks unless you live in an area where an antenna will pick up the over the air signals of the local network affiliates. I don't live in an area where an antenna will pick up these local network affiliates.

Amending the above you could potentially augment FUBO and Sling Blue with a "free" streaming app called Locast to receive local network affiliates depending on what city you desire. I have not used this app.
Last edited by Copper John on Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krafty81

Post by krafty81 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:02 pm

Don't know why you don't like streaming hockey. I love NHL on my Roku - Go Caps!

Socrates

Keep callin

Post by Socrates » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:34 pm

I called 4 times.....finally got someone to cut my bill

key is: ask for retentions....tell them you want to drop your service, but you need to talk with a retention rep

they have gotten tougher, but you can still do it. :sharebeer
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

NewPhoneWhoDis

Post by NewPhoneWhoDis » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:42 am

Vue user here too. I'll be doing the same thing as everyone else ITT. Switching to YouTube TV.

batpot

Post by batpot » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:47 pm

Anybody have a Chromebook?

Week 9, and just learned that Yahoo sports mobile app even has Monday night games free, so don't even need an ESPN subscription.

... But would it work on a Chromebook? ...A Chromebook with HDMI out?

Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:01 am

I'm still boycotting the NFL. I love the game but I made my stand!
God bless the USA!

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:09 am

Not a football fan anymore due to the concussion scandal, but after rescanning our OTA channels a few weeks ago, noticed we had 3 different NFL games on various channels at noon Sunday. Adding in the 3 pm games, the Sunday night game and Monday night games, I probably could record 8 games a week?

Combined with being able to record these (all free) on our Windows Media Center & Digital Home Run I wondered what else a football fan would need?

cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:17 am

HoosierJim wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:09 am
Not a football fan anymore due to the concussion scandal, but after rescanning our OTA channels a few weeks ago, noticed we had 3 different NFL games on various channels at noon Sunday. Adding in the 3 pm games, the Sunday night game and Monday night games, I probably could record 8 games a week?

Combined with being able to record these (all free) on our Windows Media Center & Digital Home Run I wondered what else a football fan would need?
Thats a good point. Also, there were only 2 exclusive NFL Network games on this year. So you really aren't missing much not having the NFL Network.

WIth that being said, I enjoy the RedZone channel an will keep my Playstation Vue until the end for this very reason before switching over to YouTube Tv.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:56 am

fishmonger wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:31 am
So looks like PlayStation Vue is a contender. What do people recommend between Roku, Amazon Firestick, etc? Want it to be as easy as possible, we have two Sony smart TVs
I used PS Vue for the last couple years on multiple TV's in my home on the Roku stick. Very easy. The remote is not the most feature rich, but easy.

Recently switched to Youtube TV and like the interface more than Vue, and it was a little cheaper, but unfortunately does NOT offer NFL network or Redzone, which is a bummer. So as another poster mentioned, when needed, I use a Reddit stream, so far so good, not too buggy.

Have used both Vue and YT Tv on tablets and mobile devices quite well, they really do work across many platforms. I believe you can test both free for 4-7 days.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

batpot

Post by batpot » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:07 pm

Abe wrote:
So confused by this statement.
Until direct TV, you couldn't watch out of market games period.
This season, you get more games per week, over the air for free then ever before.