Has anyone dealt with Anxiety at work?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

Has anyone dealt with Anxiety at work?

Post by Bob Sacamano » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:16 am

Not sure if this is allowed here (and if it’s not, care to point me in the right direction?), but has anyone dealt with anxiety issues at work?

If so, I’m curious how you dealt with or overcame them and if you found said issues to be a hindrance in your career progression overall.

Hoping this doesn’t get taken down but understand if it does.

Thanks!

livesoft

Re: Has anyone dealt with Anxiety at work?

Post by livesoft » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:19 am

It is very common as evidenced by the number of people who self-report that they take medication. But this topic should be locked.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

LordB

Post by LordB » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:30 am

I started seeing a councilor. Took me far to long to do it though part of that was also anxiety about seeing a councilor. Started to see them when I realized that I was having an anxiety attack driving into work. That finally got me past the hump to realize that this was something I needed help with.

I strongly recommend getting one especially if there is no one in your life that you are comfortable discussing everything with and even then a councilor being a 3rd party outside everything else is still fairly useful.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:33 am

"Anxiety at work" is a pretty broad spectrum. It could be anything from "being anxious about giving a presentation in front of a group" to "crippling anxiety most days that causes me to call in sick often".

And of course there are a wide variety of methods for dealing with this anxiety, from "practice, practice, practice", to "get counselling and/or medication from mental health professionals".
Don't be a lemming.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:38 am

I usually dread the dawn when I think of work. No clinical symptoms of anxiety per se, but just hate it, and the commute with a visceral hate.

So, at the recommendation of the fine folks on here, and after ad nauseam analysis, I've decided to FIRE.

If the numbers work, and work causes stress or anxiety, leave. Remember, for those of us in their late 40's or better, there are likely more yesterdays than tomorrows.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

Post by Bob Sacamano » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:43 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:33 am
"Anxiety at work" is a pretty broad spectrum. It could be anything from "being anxious about giving a presentation in front of a group" to "crippling anxiety most days that causes me to call in sick often".

And of course there are a wide variety of methods for dealing with this anxiety, from "practice, practice, practice", to "get counselling and/or medication from mental health professionals".
I’m in the first camp but also get panicked when I’m in large meetings and need to do round the room introductions and such!

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:44 am

Exercise regularly. Cycling, walking, play sport works!

KlangFool

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:49 am

Bob Sacamano wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:43 am
JoeRetire wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:33 am

I’m in the first camp but also get panicked when I’m in large meetings and need to do round the room introductions and such!
Maybe you'll feel reassured knowing that this sort of anxiety is the most common form. You are not alone.

I used to be that way when I was younger. After a while, it became pretty routine and the anxiety lessened. I found that the anticipation was always worse than the actual event. ANd I learned that avoidance doesn't help. When I reminded myself of that fact, it usually helped.

I still get anxious when I have to speak in front of a group. But I have learned that anxiety can be tolerated, so for me it's not a huge deal.
Don't be a lemming.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:01 am

Consider, "How" we perceive and internalize the world around us,
And, what we perceive within ourselves and how that forms our personal ethos,
Where these things are in harmony then we are at peace.
However, If there is incongruity, (IE. what is vs what we think is) iE: "ego", "etc". then we have anxiety.

Simply, a disconection with reality vs what we "want" and "perceive".

But, anxiety and stress are good things if a motivation for positive change and action.
If you focus on improvement, contribution, cooperation, and proactive success at work, there's no time to be "stressed".

j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:01 am

I worked for a company that operated 24/7 and I had 4 large departments reporting me all the while having to deal with layoffs, unions, acquisitions, and a lot of travel. As others have said vigorous exercise every day is number one. Cultivating friends and talking or communicating with them every day, is number two and lastly a hobby that you love.

AerialP

Post by AerialP » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:07 am

I don't believe this is a topic ripe for an immediate lock because in my experience, and anecdotally from many many peoples' experience, there is much anxiety from work due to economic pressures. Ye Olde "Golden Handcuffs" come to mind. The need for sticking with a job which you find unfulfilling in order to provide some semblance of affordable health insurance, the ability to contribute to a retirement plan more than just the Trad/Roth IRA yearly limits, and myriad other ancillary benefits. In fact, I would posit that anxiety on the spectrum from working as an employee to being at the top as an employer ("will I be able to make payroll this cycle?") is a huge factor of many many aspects of personal finance.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:13 am

Meditation, exercise and changing the way you think.

Having a good boss helps too.

Don't keep up with the Joneses and ha e too many kids. You'll handcuff yourself and construct your own prison.

Live below your means, save and reach financial independence.

This is how I handled my work stress.
VTWAX and chill.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:16 am

I always tried to take an active role in moving my career in a direction where I both like / can tolerate what I am doing (it is work after all) and the responsibilities of the job do not push my anxiety buttons too much. I have tried to be open with my managers on these topics and have switched into different roles at an existing company or, if that is not possible, left that company for a new position. It entails some risk and i have had to tread carefully at times, but it has been effective for me over the years.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:31 am

This thread has run its course and is locked (mental health, which is medical advice). See: Medical Issues
Medical Issues

Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.