Checking credit card statements

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
GerryL

Re: Checking credit card statements

Post by GerryL » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:32 pm

Each month I print out each statement and manually enter the information into Quicken. It takes a little time but I always have a handle on where my money is going and I have a long history of spending patterns/trends.

I can't recall ever finding an error, but I have twice found errors on my bank statement where withdrawals were erroneously made from my account. Two different banks in two different states. Relatively small amounts but Yikes.

FGal

Post by FGal » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:04 pm

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:47 pm
FGal wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:06 pm
I check my purchases every day practically. I use budgeting software (like Mint or YNAB) and my credit card charges pop in either within the hour of the charge (most of my cards), or at most a day or two (one card is super slow) after.
What budgeting software do you use?

I use YNAB and it feels like it takes a day or two for purchase to show up.

Mint, but I have a feeling it's more about the specific cards than anything to do with the software. We use 3 cards regularly, and two of them seem to pop in same day - even within an hour or two sometimes - unless it's the weekend (but even then, they're there more than not!) but one card always takes at least 2 days for charges to finally show up.
FIREd as of March 2015!

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:37 pm

I always do a quick scan. They usually do a good job of detecting outright fraud, but I have caught some suspicious items, usually involving sneaky recurring charges. Sometimes it is our fault but sometimes not (Amazon Prime took *years* to get out of completely).